Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Oct 05, 2010

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West is an action adventure game developed by Ninja Theory and published by Namco-Bandai. A very loose retelling of "Journey to the West," Enslaved follows the story of Monkey and Trip as they attempt to cross a post-apocalyptic Planet Earth.

One of my favorite game stories ever (spoilers, long-ish read)

lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lodar011

I just finished it and I don't think I can even adequately describe how much I loved it, but I feel compelled to try. 

1. The story/setting- The game doesn't waste time with a lengthy cut scene, it pretty much puts you right in the action. It also hints at, but never explains, how the world came to be as it is. It may irritate some to not have the full back story, but for me it gave the game world a sense of mystery. The characters don't seem to fully know all the details of the war, they're just figuring out how to survive in the world they live in. Explaining everything would destroy that aspect of the game. I love the use of color in a post apocalyptic game and the decision to change locations several times. It would have been easy to keep the entire game in NYC because the initial novelty of roaming a city in ruins is a cool setting. But eventually wears off and the game switches settings at just the right time.

2. The characters- The characters themselves are pretty well developed and I liked they kept the cast small. The fact they never met a group of survivors gave the game an eerie feeling of loneliness. Trip and Monkey's relationship was interesting and it evolved over the coarse of the game. I can't tell you how relieved I was it never led to a romance, I was bracing for it the entire time. Pigsy was appropriately inappropriate and strange for  somebody who lived alone in a post apocalyptic world.

3. Lack of a super villain- This is probably my favorite aspect of the game. I am so sick and tired of video games having one dimensional evil characters at the antagonists. This game completely avoids that cliche and its so incredibly refreshing. I would love to see more developers take this route when writing stories. This leads me to my find point.

4. The Ending- The ending is brilliant. Trip gets her revenge, which is very important because it completes the basic story arc for Trip and Monkey which allows the game to throw a twist at you without feeling cheap. The reveal that the slaves are being given a better life in a fantasy world gives the ending an interesting moral ambiguity. I love that Monkey doesn't (audibly) answer Trip when she asks if she did the right thing. I would love for a sequel to be set a few years after with different characters so you can see the consequences of setting all the slaves free.

That's all I can think of for now, thoughts?
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

I finished the game about 2 weeks ago and I really liked the setting, story, ending and characters. I just really did not like the combat and I hated how short it was. My main concern with some games like this is their length, I have the same problem with this game and games like Uncharted 2, Heavy Rain, Dead Space 2, etc. I know that quality has more power over quantity to some people but I still feel cheated out of an experience when I can finish an adventure in around 10 hours, for some even shorter. I just hate this trend. There are like only two games I can think of which have gone above and beyond by offering amazing gameplay with a really long storyline. 

The combat was really rushed I felt. Swings were oddly timed and it just felt like it was quickly put together with no real "hook" to it, it was just so basic. The same combo every time, an occasional "master swing" or whatever it was called, and some counters.

Although I absolutely loved the Cloud. I love how this game compares to Dragon Ball.
    htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By htr10

i couldn't agree more with this blog's assessment of all the positive qualities of enslaved's story-driven experience, while still agreeing with the first responders assessment of the battle system's shortcomings.  the choice to limit this game to 3 characters (not counting the epilogue chapter) really drove home a feeling of character attachment in my opinion, which sometimes falls way short in a more expansive cast.  it's funny how since i bought this game on sale for 14.99, maybe it didn't strike me as much about the short gameplay experience than if i had spent 59.99 on it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By McGhee

The ending was terrible. It didn't really resolve the issues within Monkey and Trip's relationship. It just ended with the bizarre twist, then dropped off.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By htr10
    @McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
    " The ending was terrible. It didn't really resolve the issues within Monkey and Trip's relationship. It just ended with the bizarre twist, then dropped off. "
    i loved the ending, but not enough that i can't understand how other people would hate it.
    mkskillz16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By mkskillz16

Holy hell, no spoiler tag, what is this. Joking aside, I agree the story and character and interaction are what gave this otherwise unremarkable character action game the much needed player investment; also, the character's eyes were amazing, I mean they very realistic and are probably what made thewm so interesting as their body language could speak more volumes than any number of exposition could. 

lodar011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By lodar011
    " The ending was terrible. It didn't really resolve the issues within Monkey and Trip's relationship. It just ended with the bizarre twist, then dropped off. "
    The whole issue was that she enslaved him to help her and he didn't want to be enslaved. When she deactivated his headband and he told her to turn it back on, to me that showed that he understood why she did it. That still didn't mean he liked that she did it initially, but in the end he decided to help her on his own free will. For me, that was resolution enough.

@xyzygy: Yeah, I can definitely understand why a lot of people thought the gameplay itself was repetitive and maybe got boring for them. The game held your hand a little too much but they had some good ideas though, with the shielded enemies needing stunned and certain mechs having glitches you could exploit. I guess I was willing to be a little more forgiving than usual simply for the fact it was on Xbox and not a shooter. 
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By matpaget
    @lodar011: I was also struck with another idea of why he told her to turn it back on.
    He didn't have anybody at the beginning of the game but throughout the course of the story him and Trip obviously became attached.
    If she died, he died. He didn't want to live without her.
    htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By htr10
    @MatPaget said:
    " @lodar011: I was also struck with another idea of why he told her to turn it back on.
    He didn't have anybody at the beginning of the game but throughout the course of the story him and Trip obviously became attached.
    "
    it's a really good point as far as the possible interpretative depth of the plot.  the more i'm away from the story of enslaved, the more i appreciate it.  just finished majin and the forsaken kingdom, which i very much enjoyed, but comparing the story to enslaved makes majin seem juvenile almost.
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By matpaget
    @htr10: I would pay to find out what happened next... although I wouldn't want a sequel. That would ruin this game's purity.
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Enigma777
    I agree. Really brought the whole game down for me (especially the stupid FMV crap with whats his name)
    bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By bkbroiler

I actually really enjoyed the combat. I decided to play it on Hard for maximum points, and you really had to learn all the various systems to get past some fights. 

The only aspect about the game I didn't enjoy was its lack of polish, and the herkiness of some parts of it. However, it more than made up for it with the great characters and setting. 
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Catolf
    @htr10 said:
    " @MatPaget said:
    " @lodar011: I was also struck with another idea of why he told her to turn it back on.
    "
    it's a really good point as far as the possible interpretative depth of the plot.  the more i'm away from the story of enslaved, the more i appreciate it.  just finished majin and the forsaken kingdom, which i very much enjoyed, but comparing the story to enslaved makes majin seem juvenile almost. "
    I thought thats was the sweetest part of their interactions together, he did care about her and didn't want to not feel connected to her. I was planning to pick up majin soon, I doubt it will touch me like enslaved but If I wanted that I'd go play ico XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.