Trip is what videogame women should be.

Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

 In the light of people going crazy over how oversexualized the women of Mortal Kombat, and to a lesser extent Dragon age 2 are. I thought what is a better example of women in video games, most people will say Alyx Vance from Half-life or Jade from beyond good and evil. I personally hate them both. Personally I would say Trip from enslaved, or Elika from Prince of Persia 2008. They are both very hot without gigantic breasts or outfits that require Outworld magic to say together.  Looks aside those two characters have some of the best personalities of any video game characters ever. i could listen to The Prince and Elika or Monkey and Trip talk for hours, and did.
And that's pretty much all I have to say on the matter.

#1 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

 In the light of people going crazy over how oversexualized the women of Mortal Kombat, and to a lesser extent Dragon age 2 are. I thought what is a better example of women in video games, most people will say Alyx Vance from Half-life or Jade from beyond good and evil. I personally hate them both. Personally I would say Trip from enslaved, or Elika from Prince of Persia 2008. They are both very hot without gigantic breasts or outfits that require Outworld magic to say together.  Looks aside those two characters have some of the best personalities of any video game characters ever. i could listen to The Prince and Elika or Monkey and Trip talk for hours, and did.
And that's pretty much all I have to say on the matter.

#2 Posted by Lelcar (730 posts) -

Trip from Enslaved is so beautiful.

#3 Posted by xyzygy (10062 posts) -

I found her to be so annoying, especially at the ending.

#4 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Lelcar said:
" Trip from Enslaved is so beautiful. "
Yeah I really want a sequel to both Enslaved and POP.
#5 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" I found her to be so annoying, especially at the ending. "
How about Elika?
#6 Posted by BeachThunder (12276 posts) -

I thought this was going to be about Chell D:

Also, Jade scares me, she has such a creepy disproportioned head :(

#7 Posted by Lelcar (730 posts) -

I think a sequel to Enslaved would be fantastic! That game was awesome! (despite some control issues) And a Nolan North PoP sequel wouldn't be bad as well.

#8 Posted by xyzygy (10062 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" @xyzygy said:
" I found her to be so annoying, especially at the ending. "
How about Elika? "
Really liked her. But I think that the ending to PoP attributed to how I think of Elika. The ending of Enslaved made me really not like Trip.
#9 Posted by NegativeCero (3024 posts) -

After recently finishing the game, I actually don't want a sequel. I kind of like the ambiguous ending and think it would be a little forced to make another game.

#10 Posted by Lelcar (730 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" Really liked her. But I think that the ending to PoP attributed to how I think of Elika. The ending of Enslaved made me really not like Trip. "

#11 Edited by Dread612 (167 posts) -

I disagree, Trip seemed extremely whiny, needy and unable to do anything without Monkey's help, obviously which was to done to facilitate  the game's  mechanics. But lets not forgot, she actively hinders Monkey's attempts to escape the ship during 1st mission and she puts a freaking slave headband on him. Hardly personalable or favorable attributes for a character.  Elika was pretty good, but I preferred  Farah from the previous PoP series, seemed Farah was more feisty.
Zoe from Dreamfall: The Longest Journey or Kate Walker from Syberia (1 & 2) are better suited examples of strong non sexualized female characters in games, IMHO.

#12 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Dread612 said:
" I disagree, Trip seemed extremely whiny, needy and unable to do anything without Monkey's help, obviously which was to done to facilitate  the game's  mechanics. But lets not forgot, she actively hinders Monkey's attempts to escape the ship during 1st mission and she puts a freaking slave headband on him. Hardly personalable or favorable attributes for a character.  Elika was pretty good, but I preferred  Farah from the previous PoP series, seemed Farah was more feisty.
Zoe from Dreamfall: The Longest Journey or Kate Walker from Syberia (1 & 2) are better suited examples of strong non sexualized female characters in games, IMHO. "
Yeah she's a bitch when you start but mid-way through the game she gets much better.
#13 Edited by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

Nah
Yeah.
I'd say Trip is better than most, but then when "most" is the embarrassing shit you see in Soul Calibur, MK, etc., it can only get better.
#14 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@ryanwho:  nah
#15 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

We really need a sequel to Enslaved. I really enjoyed that game.

#16 Posted by Lemegeton (780 posts) -

i agree Trip was a great character.
the characters designs and voice acting all round was superb in enslaved

#17 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Women are here for two reasons...the kitchen, and sex and/or sex in the kitchen. So yeah, unless they give the main character some motherfucking sammiches and/or sex, i loose interest. 

#18 Posted by skadave (200 posts) -

I absolutely loved enslaved, for some reason i really connected with the characters (it was most likely the motion capture techniques and the voice work used to make the game).

I found Trip to be genuine. In the first scene where she enslaves monkey (not a spoiler, it happens 10 minutes into the game) you can tell that she feels bad for doing it though facial expressions only. I cannot think of another video game character, male or female, who really made me care for them as much as Trip. I would be thrilled for a sequel but i don't think it's going to happen.

#19 Posted by skadave (200 posts) -
#20 Edited by ESREVER (2703 posts) -

I Need more Kai. Ninja Theory does an excellent job with character design... for the most part. (excluding Dante for now, please lets not start an argument on that)
Trip's eyes were gorgeous. I was also quite fond of her character. Elika is also a favorite. Would love to see more of all these characters in future games.


TWING TWANG 
 







#21 Posted by skadave (200 posts) -

i bought a used copy of Heavenly Sword the day after i finished enslaved (still haven't played it yet though).

#22 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@TheDudeOfGaming said:

" Women are here for two reasons...the kitchen, and sex and/or sex in the kitchen. So yeah, unless they give the main character some motherfucking sammiches and/or sex, i loose interest.  "

 
A woman is a highly developed, deeply intelligent, infinitely complicated being........ And it needs to be carefully tricked into doing things.
#23 Posted by SoylentGreen (258 posts) -

I don't know, I don't think Trip was exactly non-sexualized, though everything in that game was exaggerated to some degree. In a post-apocalyptic world (even if it's hundreds of years after said event) I doubt anyone's going to be that clean, especially after fighting their way through a ruined metropolis.

I doubt we'll see another Enslaved. I don't remember what the numbers were, but I seem to recall that it didn't make much money at retail.

#24 Edited by skadave (200 posts) -

Since I loved enslaved so much i decided to pick up a copy of Heavenly Sword. I started playing it tonight and despite its shortcomings (it's essentially a Dynasty Warriors button masher) it has better cut scenes than most, if not all, current games. Ninja Theory can portray emotion better than anyone.

#25 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

Chell is what videogame women should be... mute, dangerous lunatics.

#26 Posted by benjaebe (2783 posts) -

Loved Trip and the characters in Enslaved. Really well-realized and the voice/mo-cap was brilliant.

#27 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
"

                     In the light of people going crazy over how oversexualized the women of
Mortal Kombat, and to a lesser extent Dragon age 2 are. I thought what
is a better example of women in video games, most people will say Alyx
Vance from Half-life or Jade from beyond good and evil. I personally
hate them both. Personally I would say Trip from enslaved, or Elika from
Prince of Persia 2008. They are both very hot without gigantic breasts
or outfits that require Outworld magic to say together.  Looks aside
those two characters have some of the best personalities of any video
game characters ever. i could listen to The Prince and Elika or Monkey
and Trip talk for hours, and did.
And that's pretty much all I have to say on the matter.

                   

                "

So, because Jade and Alyx aren't hot you hate them? Okay. Hotness doesn't define a character, by the way. Because that's the first thing you mentioned.
#28 Posted by MrGetBonus (784 posts) -

I agree with your main point, but only because she's a redhead.

#29 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Klei:  No, I hate them because I'm racist geeze.
#30 Posted by RE_Player1 (7573 posts) -

I just thought she was a cool fleshed out character, never did I say this is how all women should be in video games. Same thing with Monkey and Pigsy. 

#31 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

Trip is what characters should be, period. She's the only one that I've ever felt was truly realized and had a real personality with flaws and strengths, moreso than Alyx or Jade. That's not to say I was particularly fond of her specifically, I just think that she is an extremely well crafted character and I'd like to see more games try and match it.


As for the sexualization, I don't think we'll ever get to a point where game characters can be straight up ugly. Just look at Nier. That dude's face probably warded off 50% of their potential buyers on it's own, myself included.
#32 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" I just thought she was a cool fleshed out character, never did I say this is how all women should be in video games. Same thing with Monkey and Pigsy.  "
I missing the first part of this conversation apparently.
#33 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

What's wrong with Alyx exactly? I mean, still to this day I can think of nothing bad about her... hustle could use some work though.

#34 Posted by npeterson08 (502 posts) -

Looking at pictures of Trip, she looks a little sexualized - she's basically wearing a rag as a shirt and skin-tight pants. I haven't played Enslaved, so I can't really comment on her character in game. I think people take note of non-sexualized characters in video games because they're so rare. I guess everying depends on your point of view when deciding what makes a female character in a game "good."

#35 Edited by RE_Player1 (7573 posts) -
@kingzetta said:

" @RE_Player92 said:

" I just thought she was a cool fleshed out character, never did I say this is how all women should be in video games. Same thing with Monkey and Pigsy.  "
I missing the first part of this conversation apparently. "
I don't know what you don't understand. I played Enslaved. I like Enslaved. I liked the characters of Enslaved. At no point during my time with Enslaved did I say all female characters in games or most of them should be like Trip, like your title suggests you want. I thought she was a very interesting character and her actress delivered a good performance, gender had nothing to do with it. 
#36 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Akrid said:
" Trip is what characters should be, period. She's the only one that I've ever felt was truly realized and had a real personality with flaws and strengths, moreso than Alyx or Jade. That's not to say I was particularly fond of her specifically, I just think that she is an extremely well crafted character and I'd like to see more games try and match it.

As for the sexualization, I don't think we'll ever get to a point where game characters can be straight up ugly. Just look at Nier. That dude's face probably warded off 50% of their potential buyers on it's own, myself included.
"
Well I don't characters to be ugly,  just videogame hot or realistic hot. 
#37 Posted by SSully (4265 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" @xyzygy said:
" I found her to be so annoying, especially at the ending. "
How about Elika? "
I thought she was fine, I didn't find her annoying and she saved me more then I saved her! Also she was sexy, and yet believable, unlike most females in video games. 
#38 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" @kingzetta said:

" @RE_Player92 said:

" I just thought she was a cool fleshed out character, never did I say this is how all women should be in video games. Same thing with Monkey and Pigsy.  "
I missing the first part of this conversation apparently. "
I don't know what you don't understand. I played Enslaved. I like Enslaved. I liked the characters of Enslaved. At no point during my time with Enslaved did I say all female characters in games or most of them should be like Trip, like your title suggests you want. I thought she was a very interesting character and her actress delivered a good performance, gender had nothing to do with it.  "
you said "never did I say" which implies you said something before that I'm taking out of context.
#39 Posted by JazzyJeff (403 posts) -

I found Trip to be a cut above most other female game characters, but she was still pretty weak. Whenever shit got a little too real, she would hide under a crate or something while Monkey got his hands dirty. I realize the entire point of the story is that Monkey had to protect Trip, so I don't think her weakness is a bad thing. I just don't see her being the mold for all video game women.

And really, saying "Video game women should be like Trip/Jade/Alyx/Samus." is pretty one-dimensional. There should be a variety of female characters that are full of nuance just like there are with males.

#40 Posted by RE_Player1 (7573 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" @RE_Player92 said:
" @kingzetta said:

" @RE_Player92 said:

" I just thought she was a cool fleshed out character, never did I say this is how all women should be in video games. Same thing with Monkey and Pigsy.  "
I missing the first part of this conversation apparently. "
I don't know what you don't understand. I played Enslaved. I like Enslaved. I liked the characters of Enslaved. At no point during my time with Enslaved did I say all female characters in games or most of them should be like Trip, like your title suggests you want. I thought she was a very interesting character and her actress delivered a good performance, gender had nothing to do with it.  "
you said "never did I say" which implies you said something before that I'm taking out of context. "
Never did I say as I was playing the game this is how all women should be like in games. There. 
#41 Posted by CaptainCody (1518 posts) -

Woah, people model women to be attractive rather than disgusting? DUDE. Furthermore, when you actually have to compare differences in quality for personalities between genders, you're doing it wrong. Bad personalities usually exploit any given character, good ones actually try to make something well.
#42 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" @kingzetta said:
" @RE_Player92 said:
" @kingzetta said:

" @RE_Player92 said:

" I just thought she was a cool fleshed out character, never did I say this is how all women should be in video games. Same thing with Monkey and Pigsy.  "
I missing the first part of this conversation apparently. "
I don't know what you don't understand. I played Enslaved. I like Enslaved. I liked the characters of Enslaved. At no point during my time with Enslaved did I say all female characters in games or most of them should be like Trip, like your title suggests you want. I thought she was a very interesting character and her actress delivered a good performance, gender had nothing to do with it.  "
you said "never did I say" which implies you said something before that I'm taking out of context. "
Never did I say as I was playing the game this is how all women should be like in games. There.  "
It's not what you say, its how you say it. For example "She had a crackbaby." or She had a crack, baby!"
#43 Posted by Underachiever007 (2468 posts) -

She's a cool character, but I still prefer Alyx.

#44 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -
@Underachiever007 said:
" She's a cool character, but I still prefer Alyx. "
Agreed, plus Alyx doesn't have to escorted through the entire game
#45 Posted by Catolf (2653 posts) -
@kingzetta said:
" @TheDudeOfGaming said:

" Women are here for two reasons...the kitchen, and sex and/or sex in the kitchen. So yeah, unless they give the main character some motherfucking sammiches and/or sex, i loose interest.  "

  A woman is a highly developed, deeply intelligent, infinitely complicated being........ And it needs to be carefully tricked into doing things. "
I think you both have been thwarted, i'll alert the other girls. Neither of you shall be laid again. *salutes*
#46 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@Catolf said:
" @kingzetta said:
" @TheDudeOfGaming said:

" Women are here for two reasons...the kitchen, and sex and/or sex in the kitchen. So yeah, unless they give the main character some motherfucking sammiches and/or sex, i loose interest.  "

  A woman is a highly developed, deeply intelligent, infinitely complicated being........ And it needs to be carefully tricked into doing things. "
I think you both have been thwarted, i'll alert the other girls. Neither of you shall be laid again. *salutes* "
Oh no they will know I like Arj Barker jokes

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.