Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Epic Games

Company »

Epic Games is a video game development company most famous for developing the Unreal Engine and game series, and more recently, the Gears of War series and Shadow Complex (In conjunction with Chair Entertainment).

EPIC Games Pre-Xbox 360 or Post-Xbox 360?

• 60 results
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel

EPIC Games was once known for pushing PC gamers to their limits, and giving them games that no one else at the time could counter with.  Unreal took over Id's Quake like a fucking boss, and they even gave discounts to us idiots who bought UT2k3.   

However, after the Xbox 360's Gears of War, it's like EPIC gave the finger to PC gamers.  Some might debate that Gears is better than UT, but they are idiots who are handicapped so their voices are kinda moot.   

EPIC gave PC gamers UT3, instead of the proper UT2k7...and we all know what happened to the UT franchise now.   

So, just wondering if people prefer the EPIC Games of Pre-Xbox 360 or Post-Xbox 360.  I think I already hold a bias, but I'll be interested to know why people prefer the new EPIC Games.  

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

As a console gamer who loves Gears of War, I'd have to say post-360.  

Also, didn't they publish Shadow Complex? That game was pretty slick. 

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

Didn't care about anything Epic related until Gears of War so post-360.

Cslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Cslaw

pre-360 thats only because I'm living in the past and still play pc games predominantly 

DarkTravesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By DarkTravesty
    @KaosAngel said:
    "  Some might debate that Gears is better than UT, but they are idiots who are handicapped so their voices are kinda moot. "
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Pre-Xbox360. While GeoW1 struck my heart with everlasting nostalgia (it was my first 360 game, shaddap), nothing will ever be as good at UT04 or '99. They had crap loads of game modes and maps, and tons of mods that made the games last for years. The Gears of War franchise, and the limited hardware it's burdened with, will never be as amazing as a PC game like UT04.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SadPatrol

post xbox 360, but if i vote that my opinion is moot right?  

TC thinks PC gamers are the master race............GO!!!!!!!!!

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By luchadeer797

I personally enjoyed both the Gears of War games despite there flaws, and they published both Shadow Complex and upcoming Bulletstorm which seems like stupid fun. Thats a pretty damn good track record, id go with post-360.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By zidd

Epic was making games long before unreal came out. but Epic hasn't been making anything but shooters since unreal was released. Whatever happened to Jazz Jackrabbit? As much as I want a proper sequel to UT2K4 a new Jazz game would be much better since its unlike anything they have been making lately.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Skytylz

I prefer Gears to quake or unreal, but I don't really like Gears that much either.  Epic has never really made a game I love.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SadPatrol: It's also their attitude.  EPIC charing for maps and shit, they would NEVER do this if they stuck with PC.  Valve and Blizzard are staying true to the foundations, and never lost faith in the PC community.  PC gamers MADE EPIC what they are today, not the other way around.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @KaosAngel said:
    " I think I already hold a bias, but I'll be interested to know why people prefer the new EPIC Games.   "
    I think you've just won the award for under statement of the year. 
    Perhaps you can put it beside your "most annoying Playstation fanboy of the year" one.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By XenoNick

Well since I enjoy Gears more than Unreal I say Post-360.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@KaosAngel said:
    " @SadPatrol: It's also their attitude.  EPIC charing for maps and shit, they would NEVER do this if they stuck with PC.  Valve and Blizzard are staying true to the foundations, and never lost faith in the PC community.  PC gamers MADE EPIC what they are today, not the other way around. "
    This. Whoever prefers post-360 never played Epic's PC titles.
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Azteck

Post 360. I never cared for the UT franchise, and while I don't care much about GoW either, I prefer them.

jarryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By jarryd

two words: jazz jackrabbit

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SadPatrol
    @KaosAngel: I know what you mean, Valve and Blizzard are staying true to their roots and I respect that but I don't feel EPIC owes anything to their original fans. EPIC and Valve both make games that I love. But since i am a console gamer (primarily) I get shit on when it comes to Valves games, specifically team fortress 2. But EPIC made a ton of fans with Gears of War and if they went back to focusing on PC shooters they would turn their back on us.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Don't care, as long as the games are fun.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KaosAngel
    @SadPatrol: PC gamers made EPIC what they are today!  EPIC would not even have the name they have without Unreal!  UT sold like fucking shit on the Xbox, and EPIC just gives the finger after MS gives them cash.   

Without Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal, and the fanbase of PC gamers...EPIC wouldn't have made Gears of War.
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SuperWristBands

I think UT3 was more fun to play then any of the Gears games but I am also new to the PC crowd and am not familiar with EPIC's earlier games.

I'm not gonna say which I think is better though, because in the end I just don't care enough to make the choice.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By time allen

i still play ut2004 occasionally so pre-360. i did actually enjoy the multiplayer components of gears of war 1 + 2, but ut2004 > gears of war.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Andorski

I blame Epic's heavy influence on post-apocalyptic shooters in the US market on them, so can I pick neither?

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By samfo

I played some GOW 2 again the other day and remembered how amazing that game is.  Post 360.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @SadPatrol: PC gamers made EPIC what they are today!  EPIC would not even have the name they have without Unreal!  UT sold like fucking shit on the Xbox, and EPIC just gives the finger after MS gives them cash.    Without Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal, and the fanbase of PC gamers...EPIC wouldn't have made Gears of War. "
    Your comments here really highlight everything that's wrong with gaming to me.  Honestly, does it make such a difference what you're playing games on?  Why don't you just enjoy playing them, without worrying what platform they're on and who's "betrayed" who to bring it out on such and such..  

Do you hate franchises like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy for turning their backs on the systems that originally made them popular?  Or are they okay in your eyes because they're now on a Playstation system? 

Sometimes I think I'm the only one who actually doesn't care about these things.  I also find it mildly amusing that you consider yourself a "neutral" gamer.
    hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hockeymask27
    @zombie2011 said:
    " Didn't care about anything Epic related until Gears of War so post-360. "
    Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuperWristBands
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " @SadPatrol: PC gamers made EPIC what they are today!  EPIC would not even have the name they have without Unreal!  UT sold like fucking shit on the Xbox, and EPIC just gives the finger after MS gives them cash.    Without Jazz Jackrabbit, Unreal, and the fanbase of PC gamers...EPIC wouldn't have made Gears of War. "
    Your comments here really highlight everything that's wrong with gaming to me.  Honestly, does it make such a difference what you're playing games on?  Why don't you just enjoy playing them, without worrying what platform they're on and who's "betrayed" who to bring it out on such and such..  

Do you hate franchises like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy for turning their backs on the systems that originally made them popular?  Or are they okay in your eyes because they're now on a Playstation system?  Sometimes I think I'm the only one who actually doesn't care about these things.  I also find it mildly amusing that you consider yourself a "neutral" gamer. "
    I think hes saying how completely different Gears of War is from the older PC games. Fast and frantic, compared to what a modern TPS is today. I don't think it has anything to do with them not making as many PC games.
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By time allen
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" @KaosAngel said:

Do you hate franchises like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy for turning their backs on the systems that originally made them popular?  Or are they okay in your eyes because they're now on a Playstation system?  Sometimes I think I'm the only one who actually doesn't care about these things.  I also find it mildly amusing that you consider yourself a "neutral" gamer. "
    the difference here is that metal gear solid and final fantasy are/will be available on both 360 and ps3, whereas most of epic's games are now exclusive to the 360. i don't really care for which platform a game is on but when you build a company on a certain fanbase and then decide to partially ignore that fanbase i can understand why someone would be annoyed.
    SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SadPatrol
    @KaosAngel said:
    Shit happens.
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KaosAngel
    @WinterSnowblind: 

PC gamers made EPIC what they are, and EPIC releases a PC game once in blue moon.  If Valve or Blizzard went straight console and completely abandoned their PC fanbase, it would be the same deal.  If PC gamers didn't buy UT99 and UT2k4 in droves, EPIC would have never been able to make Gears of War.  EPIC treats back PC gamers with UT3 when they promised UT2k7 (the proper sequel to UT2k4).  
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BraveToaster

Post-360. I never really got into UT.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlexW00d
    @WinterSnowblind said:

" @KaosAngel said:

If a company makes a certain product for a certain consumer base which becomes really popular and gains them a great reputation. and then they just stop making that product and make something else just because another company bottle feeds them money, don't you see that as, at the very least, a bit disrespectful? 

I don't think any of Kaos' points have even mentioned a Playstation, so I don't know why you even mentioned it.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

I'm pretty sure that the success of Gears made Epic what they are today, not PC Gamers... if there was no Gears they would probably be the same Epic you loved when they were doing PC stuff. Therefore, Gears led them to be what they are now. 

And since when was your name green, Kaos!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By ajamafalous

UT2k44L.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Platforms are dependent on the publisher. And you can't afford to develop big blockbuster games like Gears without publisher backing. It's not a case of Epic letting down PC gamers, it's Microsoft. And you can't blame Epic for jumping at the opportunity to have their new, unproven franchise funded for a number of years.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#35  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I played Unreal Tournament once. That was fun.

So I guess, Pre-360 EPIC it is.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gruff182

This arguement can be made for a lot of the best developers. As for Epic, I don't really care for GoW or Unreal.  They'd may as well just stick to tech as far as i'm concerned.

Though i'd love to see where Bethesda and Dice would be at, if PC was still the main platform. Imagine what kind of Battlefield we could be playing if it wasn't held back by the consoles.

At the end of the day though, their buisnesses that have to make money and PC gamers seem contempt on killing their own platform with piracy and the like. Also, it's the publishers who decide which platforms the game come out on, it's their investment afterall.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Gruff182 said:
    " Dice would be at, if PC was still the main platform. "
    DICE already said BF3 won't be compromised on PC and that the PC is the absolute version, so we'll find out in March what DICE has been up to since BF2.
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sooty

Pre-360.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ProfessorEss

I will never understand these black and white arguments.
    This whole "for us or against us" mentality is naive.

"We made Epic what they are today and then they turned their back on us".
    Pffft, gamer please. Epic made Epic what they are today and you're fooling yourselves if you think you deserve any of the credit.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sameeeeam

I've never played a pre-360 EPIC game.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By emem
    @KaosAngel said:
    "Unreal took over Id's Quake like a fucking boss..                                         "
    ?
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By KaosAngel
    @emem said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    "Unreal took over Id's Quake like a fucking boss..                                         "
    ? "
    ....are you seriously implying that Quake was better than UT?  
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By yinstarrunner

I simply cannot fathom the type of person who would prefer Gears to Unreal.

I mean, Gears is ALRIGHT, but it doesn't come anywhere close to any of the Unreal Tournament games.   At all.

Pre-360 Epic all the way.  Not because of platform loyalty, but simply because Gears multiplayer is absolutely atrocious when compared to the mastery of UT2k4.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Pre-360. 
    Jazz Jackrabbit and the original Unreal/Unreal Tournament were fucking rad.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow

There is no better Science Fiction Team Based Multiplayer game than UT2k4.  Lots of contenders to the crown, but nobody has made a better, more dynamic MP experience than what is on offer in 2k4.  The only game that comes close is Battlefield Bad Company 2 and it's a lot more serious overall.  Remember console gamers, almost all of your MP features have a direct lineage from UT2k4 and Unreal.  Things like co-op, matchmaking and Firefight/Survival were all part of Unreal andUT2K4.  EPIC pre XBOX 360 lead the way in terms of gaming innovation and refinement, post 360 they lead the way in frat boy douchebaggery with Cliffy B as their feareless midget tryhard WEADER.

yeah, I hate Cliffy B.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Oldirtybearon

A lot of people in this thread bitching about Unreal Tournament. I wonder if any of them ever stopped to think that people in a creative medium often get tired of doing the same old shit in one continuous loop.  

Probably not.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @KingWilly said:
    " A lot of people in this thread bitching about Unreal Tournament. I wonder if any of them ever stopped to think that people in a creative medium often get tired of doing the same old shit in one continuous loop.   Probably not. "
    I'm sorry, does that automatically qualify Gears of War as being better than Unreal Tournament?  No, it doesn't.  The intentions behind the change are irrelevant.  People in this thread aren't complaining that there is no more Unreal Tournament, but that Gears of War is nowhere near as good.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " @KingWilly said:
    " A lot of people in this thread bitching about Unreal Tournament. I wonder if any of them ever stopped to think that people in a creative medium often get tired of doing the same old shit in one continuous loop.   Probably not. "
    I'm sorry, does that automatically qualify Gears of War as being better than Unreal Tournament?  No, it doesn't.  The intentions behind the change are irrelevant.  People in this thread aren't complaining that there is no more Unreal Tournament, but that Gears of War is nowhere near as good. "
    I must've missed that memo. I wasn't aware that Gears of War was bad, I thought it was just different.

Gears is a very different game than Unreal Tournament. If it's not your style, fine. To say it's "nowhere near as good" is kind of a stretch, though. What's your rubric for making that decision, exactly?
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By emem
    @KaosAngel said:

" @emem said:

" @KaosAngel said:
    ? "
    ....are you seriously implying that Quake was better than UT?   "
    Quake was always more successful and had a bigger player base than UT, saying "UT took over Quake" is wrong. And for me Q1 and Q3 were miles better than any UT game, but that's just a matter of taste.. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By JJOR64

They are making games where the money is.

On Topic:  I really look them pre and post.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.