Epic Games Unveiling “Surprising” New Franchise This Weekend

• 193 results
Posted by patrickklepek (3046 posts) -
It doesn't sound like we should be expecting a new Jazz Jackrabbit. Aww.

At the Spike TV Video Game Awards this weekend, Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski will come on stage and unveil a new franchise.

This new franchise will be “surprising,” according to Geoff Keighley, who’s a producer for the show.

“It's not what any of you think,” said Bleszinski on Twitter. “Brand new stuff.”

He also confirmed it does not, in fact, have space marines, and suggested players start following lead designer Lee Perry on Twitter to learn more about the game “in the coming weeks.”

Gears of War 3 is not the end of the franchise, but since it just came out, Gears is unlikely. Infinity Blade II just launched on iOS, which means Chair Entertainment’s time has been occupied with something not Shadow Complex 2, and People Can Fly shipped Bulletstorm this year, so it’s too early for them.

Any guesses?

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (3046 posts) -
It doesn't sound like we should be expecting a new Jazz Jackrabbit. Aww.

At the Spike TV Video Game Awards this weekend, Epic Games design director Cliff Bleszinski will come on stage and unveil a new franchise.

This new franchise will be “surprising,” according to Geoff Keighley, who’s a producer for the show.

“It's not what any of you think,” said Bleszinski on Twitter. “Brand new stuff.”

He also confirmed it does not, in fact, have space marines, and suggested players start following lead designer Lee Perry on Twitter to learn more about the game “in the coming weeks.”

Gears of War 3 is not the end of the franchise, but since it just came out, Gears is unlikely. Infinity Blade II just launched on iOS, which means Chair Entertainment’s time has been occupied with something not Shadow Complex 2, and People Can Fly shipped Bulletstorm this year, so it’s too early for them.

Any guesses?

Staff
#2 Edited by Daveyo520 (6595 posts) -

Jazz it up

(Sorry this is the third time I've gotten 1st comment)

#3 Posted by Moody_yeti (369 posts) -

Sphace mureeeennnss?

#4 Posted by Soviet666 (274 posts) -

Gears of Karts

#5 Posted by YOUNGLINK (522 posts) -

Yea, jazz it up indeed

#6 Posted by WEGGLES (739 posts) -

I could go for a new Jazz Jackrabbit.

#7 Posted by Sankis (64 posts) -

I don't think Epic has made any game with space marines.

#8 Posted by MeatSim (10588 posts) -

I will be surprised if it doesn't involve shooting dudes.

#9 Posted by nick_verissimo (1373 posts) -

A dating sim where Marcus tries to get Dom over his wife's death? Uhhhhh....

#10 Posted by admanb (225 posts) -

It's a new franchise. How can you guess a new franchise? It's not Jazz because it's a new franchise.

#11 Posted by Dread612 (167 posts) -

Probably a mobile game....

#12 Edited by MaddProdigy (1041 posts) -
#13 Posted by Forcen (1766 posts) -

Hope they do a PC version.

#14 Posted by UnrealDP (1217 posts) -

I know I'm just setting my self up for massive disappointment, but I'm sort of stoked for the VGAs announcements.

#15 Posted by zFUBARz (590 posts) -

Damn it I want more shadow complex

#16 Posted by McCrabberton (1 posts) -

jill of the jungle

#17 Posted by OldGuy (1431 posts) -

A dating sim for the US audience. I'm calling it.

#18 Posted by mbr2 (548 posts) -

Top down puzzle game or racing manager. You heard it here first.

#19 Posted by XenoZak (170 posts) -

@Sankis: You don't think every soldier in Gears looks like a Space Marine? They differ a little bit but still space marines to me.

#20 Posted by craigymail (170 posts) -

Smash Bros. knock off as everyone seems to be doing that these days.

#21 Posted by JeanLuc (3518 posts) -

What about the thing they showed for that unreal tech demo? Or would that be a next generation thing?

#22 Posted by Gabriel (4050 posts) -

Wow they already act like it's gonna be an success by calling it a franchise.

#23 Posted by MachoFantastico (4290 posts) -

Anyone else hate the way they do the VGA's. Seems, so damn fake and cheesy.

#24 Posted by Maystack (898 posts) -

The surprise is that the game contains Sea Marines, or 'AquaMarines'. It's basically Gears Of War but with mermen.

Hey, I'd play it.

#25 Posted by ProfessorEss (7122 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

Wow they already act like it's gonna be an success by calling it a franchise.

I dunno, they all refer to them as franchises now.

I think optimistic is a good way to roll anyways.

#26 Posted by darkelink (6 posts) -

Going by the names of the ureal series (championship then tournament), I'm guessing Unreal Compettion 2K12!

#27 Posted by Veektarius (4125 posts) -

@XenoZak: Can't have Space Marines without Space.

#28 Posted by Peewi (410 posts) -

I don't get why Jazz Jackrabbit isn't available on Steam or GOG. Just sell it bundled with DOSBox. It's free money!

#29 Edited by plaintomato (598 posts) -

@craigymail said:

Who is everyone? I've seen some half-baked effort on XBL that came out a long time ago. I've heard of a couple low rent PC knock-offs. I'd love to see a solid, quality Smash Bros. clone on the Xbox or PS3 since I don't play Nintendo's underpowered systems, but surprisingly enough that's a hole in their line ups that has gone unfilled for a long long time. So please, point me to everyone if it's any good.

What everyone is doing is COD knock-offs, or just producing sequels until the cows quit coming home.

@zFUBARz said:

Damn it I want more shadow complex

This. A Metroid throwback that is better than Metroid. More Shadow Complex would be good. But it's a "new franchise" so I don't know why people are even talking about this or Gears.

#30 Posted by RampageAssassin (416 posts) -

Horror multiplatform game is my guess.

#31 Posted by Beomoose (667 posts) -

Steampunk Noire Detective RPG?

#32 Posted by punisherkaos (270 posts) -

Is it gears of bulletstorm complex tournament?

#33 Posted by GozerTC (452 posts) -

@TrueEnglishGent said:

Anyone else hate the way they do the VGA's. Seems, so damn fake and cheesy.

Agreed. I totally don't watch them anymore because of the crazy crap around them.

#34 Posted by GozerTC (452 posts) -

@JeanLuc said:

What about the thing they showed for that unreal tech demo? Or would that be a next generation thing?

I hope so! That'd be awesome!

#35 Posted by MisterMouse (3531 posts) -

they are redefining the JRPG genre...

#36 Posted by kollay (1923 posts) -

Guns confirmed.

#37 Posted by m0nk3y80y (180 posts) -

Babies of War. Like Muppet Babies, but with more sawing people in half.

#38 Posted by hermes (1270 posts) -

@Veektarius: Sure you can: They are on a different planet, which they got travelling through "space"...

Cogs have more in common with Starship Troopers' and Aliens' marines (the original "space marines") than Warhammer's space marines, but still count...

#39 Posted by Darknezz (64 posts) -

@Beomoose said:

Steampunk Noire Detective RPG?

Oh god, I hope so.

#40 Posted by craigymail (170 posts) -

@plaintomato said:

@craigymail said:

Who is everyone?

Totally a joke on Sony rumours.

#41 Posted by White_Silhouette (468 posts) -

Madden's 2112 : Thrashball.

#42 Posted by Miskari (7 posts) -

TRIBESSSSSS

#43 Posted by fazzle (289 posts) -

Kinect based jump rope simulator

NAILED IT

#44 Posted by CottonWolf (87 posts) -

I'm calling it now: It's a racer where you play meat cubes of various sizes and roll them round the track, Monkey Ball style.

#45 Posted by ptc (615 posts) -

Action RPG, like Diablo 3.

#46 Posted by mosespippy (3720 posts) -

Real Tournament. Play as a reality TV contestant who is on a reality TV show about running around arenas shooting other contestants and capturing flags. Have Spike make an actual reality TV show to go with it. If you get on the show you get into the game.

#47 Posted by Pop (2528 posts) -

@Maystack said:

The surprise is that the game contains Sea Marines, or 'AquaMarines'. It's basically Gears Of War but with mermen.

Hey, I'd play it.

Yea I would play that too :D. Cool new franchise, set in the Jazz Rabbit universe but you don't play as Jazz you play as Lori. Furries stay on the look out!

#48 Posted by CharAznable (757 posts) -

@m0nk3y80y said:

Babies of War. Like Muppet Babies, but with more sawing people in half.

Now there's an idea I can get behind. As long as someone gets an alternate costume with green striped knee-high socks.

#49 Posted by Stormdragonblue (72 posts) -

Still holding out for a Jazz Jackrabbit: The After Years!

I'm guessing... a My Little Pony RPGFPS with Sim elements. Seems as good a guess as any. :P

#50 Posted by SSully (4060 posts) -

A US Marine game, I am calling it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.