Epic Games Wins Lawsuit With Silicon Knights [UPDATED]

• 173 results
#51 Posted by benu302000 (213 posts) -

" In addition to simply "winning" the lawsuit, Epic Games has been awarded damages totaling $4.45 million."

Well, that's the end of Silicon Knights, then.

#52 Posted by Lava (672 posts) -

Hot scoops! But for real, interesting stuff...

#53 Posted by JesterPC238 (345 posts) -

Wait a minute, quite the disparity in the lunch prices there... I think we have another E3 mystery! Why were they able to get lunch for a mere $99 one day, but the price increased to $150 only one day later?

I smell funny business!

#54 Posted by Rirse (273 posts) -

Hey Epic, can you steal the rights for Eternal Darkness away from Silcon Knights when they can't pay the money? A new game for that series by you guys would be nice.

#55 Posted by Noisician (77 posts) -

RIP Silicon Knights

#56 Posted by Sergotron (503 posts) -

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about this.

#57 Posted by Zvarri (123 posts) -

Considering all the provincial government funding Silicon Knights recently lost, this is just another big financial blow. I have to wonder how long the studio will last.

#58 Posted by Foggen (884 posts) -

Well, that's the end of Denis Dyack. For a brief period he looked like a video game luminary, and then he got exposed as a blowhard and a fantastic whiner.

#59 Posted by mmgreenmms (24 posts) -

Only tipped $10 on a $142 bill?!  What an asshole.

#60 Posted by MattyFTM (14424 posts) -

Now THAT'S investigative journalism. Jury's lunches!!!

#61 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Why the fuck was one meal $50 more than the other? How'd that happen all of a sudden?

These are the real questions.

#62 Posted by Winternet (8035 posts) -

They got wasted on those meals

#63 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -

Now I'll never see Too Human 2 T_T

#64 Posted by zeekthegeek (392 posts) -

Hot scoops

#65 Posted by JRock3x8 (251 posts) -

having had to order food for large groups of people I can tell you that $100 goes nowhere near as far as you think it would.

#66 Posted by Bartz (88 posts) -

@mmgreenmms said:

Only tipped $10 on a $142 bill?! What an asshole.

That's like a normal tip for a takeout order. It's not like the jury went out to eat in the actual restaurant.

#67 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -
@Bartz said:

@mmgreenmms said:

That's like a normal tip for a takeout order. It's not like the jury went out to eat in the actual restaurant.

You're supposed to tip for takeout?
#68 Posted by Robopengy (479 posts) -

Epic should show a little compassion and not demand that they be payed

#69 Posted by amardilo (126 posts) -

Silicon Knights has to pay $4.45 million... Ouch! Do they even have that kind of money? If they don't what does this mean for the studio?

#70 Posted by Godak (166 posts) -

Thanks to and for the link!

Also, OUCH. That's a hefty sum SK has to pay out. Don't sue unless you know you're going to win, kids.

#71 Edited by Bummey (615 posts) -

@mmgreenmms said:

Why would you tip on take away? It's likely that was a mandatory gratuity charge and not the gopher's token tip.

#72 Posted by EveretteScott (1541 posts) -

@Robopengy said:

World don't work like that.

#73 Posted by forkboy (1174 posts) -

Man, that's some lunch.

#74 Posted by GalacticPunt (1092 posts) -

I'm glad I was sitting down when I was hit with these Hot Scoopz about lunch.

With Silicon Knights pretty much done for, maybe they will sell the Too Human IP to Microsoft for cheap? Or EA? Or the Canadian government? Anyone? Bueller?

I'd honestly like to see the "Trilogy" finished by some other guys whose leader hasn't crawled up his own ass. I say that as someone who loved Eternal Darkness and got enjoyment out of the first Too Human when it finally came out. But Dyack, great as he once was, seems to be turning into the Axl Rose of game design. Paranoid, combative, inflexible, out-of-touch. It's a bummer, he was once awesome.

#75 Posted by Patman99 (1620 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

@Bartz said:

@mmgreenmms said:

You're supposed to tip for takeout?

I always do but mostly because I dont want change so I just round it up to the nearest five or ten dollar bill.

#76 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11456 posts) -

Two Human is never going to be made, is it?

#77 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

LUNCH MONEY SCOOPS, SAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

#78 Posted by SharpShotApollo (146 posts) -

So Silicon Knights was mad because they needed to have Epic hold their hand through development?

*Clears throat*

U MAD BRO!?

You sad, SK.

#79 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2287 posts) -

This lawsuit should have ended years ago as SK argument against Epic wasn't anything worthy enough to see a court case let alone win one. Did SK even ask for technical support from Epic when they were experiencing problems with the engine as I would be on Epic's back constantly about it like any sensible consumer who buys a faulty electronic and calls the manufacturers support line.

#80 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4981 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

Two Human is never going to be made, is it?

Right you are.
#81 Posted by Mumrik (1088 posts) -

Silicon Knights MUST be dead now, right?

#82 Posted by Siphillis (1297 posts) -

Lunch Watch with Patrick Klepek.

#83 Posted by AlexW00d (6389 posts) -

So he SK dudes sued Epic for their shitty engine? Amazing.

#84 Posted by Robopengy (479 posts) -

@EveretteScott: I know I know, but that's got to be like pocket change to them. It's like taking a homeless person's coin cup.

#85 Posted by PenguinDust (12604 posts) -

$251.24 on lunch? That's crazy talk. This is the problem with the American judicial system. As a taxpayer (in another state) I am outraged.

#86 Posted by AngeTheDude (700 posts) -

@Robopengy said:

^jes

Also, the lunch is way more interesting than the actual case.

#87 Posted by djaoni (338 posts) -

Too bad.

#88 Posted by Demoskinos (15112 posts) -

We all know what really happened here Mark Rein bought off the judge with a golden Retro Lancer skin for gears 3 and a perma x2 XP bonus. Scandalous I say!

#89 Posted by virtorio (252 posts) -

This article has answered all my burning questions about juror lunches.

#90 Edited by Rasgueado (719 posts) -

I dunno... I haven't been a party to all th evidence presented, so I can't say for sure one way or the other. They probably went off the rails a bit by saying Epic did it intentionally as opposed to just not having the available resources to back up their licensing deals.

id famously had the same problem when it licensed out the Doom 3 engine. It's probably a valid concern from SIlicon Knights, just likely not intentional. Though again... That's based entirely on conjecture as I'd need to actually read the cases both sides presented.

(the amount of winnings will likely be appealed at a later date though...)

#91 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

But what did they eat???? That's the real question here.

#92 Posted by YapaPanda (128 posts) -

@PenguinDust: Depends on how many jurors there were, which is the call of the judge. Civil cases usually have 6. At $142.01 for 6 jurors, its about $23 per juror. Not sure how much the average lunch costs in North Carolina, but that sounds pretty average considering food+drink+tax+delivery.

Also a $10 tip for a delivery for at least six lunches is way too low.

#93 Posted by Zombie_Shakespeare (132 posts) -

The way Silicon Knights' luck (or maybe just their decision-making quality) is going over the last half-decade or so makes it more and more likely that I'll never get to find out about that fifth ancient. I have held out hope for so long. Maybe it's finally time to let it go.

#94 Posted by MC_Hify (347 posts) -

Where I live, in California, the plantiff is responsible for jury costs in a civil case. So Silicon Knights might be on the hook for those lunches.

#95 Posted by Cybexx (1217 posts) -

Silicon Knights apparently lost this case mostly because before embarking on their own engine they modified the Unreal Engine code to try and get that working for themselves but they had no legal right to modify the source code, so in revealing their evidence they shot themselves in the foot.

#96 Posted by Mendelson9 (408 posts) -

THIS IS ONE HOT SCOOP

#97 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Now that this shit is all over, release the 4 player patch for Too Human and the DLC before you go bankrupt and lay everyone off Silicon Knights

#98 Posted by Athadam (702 posts) -

@PenguinDust said:

$251.24 on lunch? That's crazy talk. This is the problem with the American judicial system. As a taxpayer (in another state) I am outraged.

You're taking it out of context. 251.24 for two days worth of lunches and for the whole jury (I don't know the size).

#99 Posted by Shaunage (724 posts) -

Too Human is the worst game I have completed this generation.

#100 Posted by pekoe212 (458 posts) -

2 days of lunch for a large group of people? That's a reasonable amount if they got them anything better than dollar menu fast food. I don't see how this is news at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.