Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Escape Dead Island

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 18, 2014

A third-person Dead Island spin-off by Fatshark, focusing more on stealth and exploration than outright combat.

Thanks to Justin McElroy for suffering through this...

ScottG13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Justin took the bullet for us and got a review out bright and early on review day for this terrible mess.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/18/7236015/escape-dead-island-review

I actually had this in my Gamefly Queue as it look kind of interesting as an zombie action/adventure that seemed like it could be Metroidvania style.

Anyways, so long turd. And thanks for Deep Silver to keeping up it's dog reputation.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

You never know what you are going to get from Deep Silver. I bet everyone is working on Dying Light and a skeleton crew shat this one out.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You never know what you are going to get from Deep Silver. I bet everyone is working on Dying Light and a skeleton crew shat this one out.

Certainly looks like the last part of your post is true.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was made by Fatshark, who also did War of the Roses and War of the Vikings. It wasn't made by Techland.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By damodar

I'm not sure Techland actually did any of the development on this one internally. It's credited to Fatshark, which is a bit of a bummer.

Edit: ACK, BEAT TO THE PUNCH

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By BBAlpert

Thank Travis for Justin (and also for Travis)

Also...

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AMyggen

@bbalpert: Strange to reserve the 1 score to games they can't finish. If it's complete garbage it's complete garbage, regardless of whether you can actually finish the game or not. But whatever!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I would think a game that is technically unplayable would be a zero, not a one.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I don't see much difference between 1 and 2. Just like I don't really get the difference between 7 and 8 or 6 and 7. Review scales suck.

I feel like this was to be expected from this game. I have genuinely just expected these games to get bad reviews. Even the first game was hit and miss depending on the person playing it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Jim Sterling made this his first review for his new site, too. I'm not surprised by the reception, though, as I thought it never looked that good. Least Dead Island 2 is shaping up OK.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Corevi

It's super weird they chose this week to launch this. With Far Cry 4, Dragon Age 3 and GTA 5.1 they basically sent it out to die. I would be incredibly surprised if this breaks even in sales.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@amyggen said:

@bbalpert: Strange to reserve the 1 score to games they can't finish. If it's complete garbage it's complete garbage, regardless of whether you can actually finish the game or not. But whatever!

Justin mentions on his new(ish) mini-podcast, Quality Control, that he was brought to tears by this game, but just barely managed to drag himself across the finish line. 1 point scores are games so bad that he (or whoever is doing the review) can't even manage THAT. So I guess it's the difference between completely intolerable and juuuuuust barely tolerable.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: To be fair they use a 10 point scale so it's safe to assume a 2 is also complete garbage.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By cornbredx

If you're really surprised a Deep Silver game sucks you haven't been paying attention. I mean I liked parts of the original Dead Island, but that's still a mediocre game so if their A team churns out 6 or 7 point games, just imagine how bad that means their B and C teams are. The only good developer Deep Silver has is Volition, now, and that's just massively good luck on their part.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By flameboy84

I had no idea this was coming out Patrick posted a trailer and was kind of intrigued....now I want nothing to do with it...what a turd. Justin brings up a good point in his review...Cel shading is not an excuse to have no textures!

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gameinformer too... they seem to give games pretty high scores regardless. This got a 2. Eeks.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mb said:

I would think a game that is technically unplayable would be a zero, not a one.

That's reserved for games that are actually just blank discs or explode your console.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Awww Fatshark made this and I've always rooted for those guys & gals, despite not actually playing a lot of their games. Bummer about this.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Who made what is hard to know. You would think some tech & code was dumped into Fatshark's lap from Techland/Deep Silver. Maybe Fatshark needed a job. Maybe Techland was having troubel and wanted outside help. Maybe, this is just what happens when a half baked idea is tossed around to be made worse.

I dislike having to say this, but Techland/Deep Silver are really not very good developer/publishers. The have a very poor reputation for quality control on development. Who is to say whose fault that is, but they are not very good. Thus when Techland/Deep Silver then drop this game into another's lap with the 'timer' running out, I doubt anything good could come from that.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@monkeyking1969: That's kinda how I feel about Gearbox. Even at their best, Borderlands 1 and 2 are like a 7/10 for me, but everyone laps it up because it's the only loot RPG shooter other than Hellgate: London. Destiny doesn't even count, since its loot is so boring and doesn't have as many crazy modifiers as Diablo or Borderlands. And then every non Borderlands project out of Gearbox is of a questionable quality.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Shindig

Borderlands took a slow hold over me but the subsequent games haven't really took the baton far from the starting blocks. Gearbox's track record is sketchy, though.

Although I'm a big fan of Eutechnyx for producing enjoyable racing games and they managed Retribution: Ride to Hell. So... nobody's record is spotless.

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flameboy84 said:

I had no idea this was coming out Patrick posted a trailer and was kind of intrigued....now I want nothing to do with it...what a turd. Justin brings up a good point in his review...Cel shading is not an excuse to have no textures!

You know, to be honest, I never got this. The game looks like everything is textured to me. Low res, sure, but I didn't really see anything that wasn't textured. I mean, the game is horrible regardless, so who cares, but I don't really understand this criticism.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.