EDSR successor, Shadow of the Eternals, to be crowd-funded

#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4167 posts) -

So, Eternal Darkness might just have spiritual successor! They have a teaser-trailer now. (No embed) But, they're gonna start crowd-funding starting Monday, May 6th.

Polygon: Eternal Darkness spiritual sucessor teased, reveal and crowdfunding campaign launch May 6

Since it is crowd-funded, I wonder if it'll reach PC only. Like, next-gen consoles would be cool! And I'm guessing they might not be using Kickstarter, since they didn't really say it.. And:

According to a tweet from IGN's Rich George, Silicon Knights' president Denis Dyack is involved in development for Shadow of the Eternals.

Right, so that's where you can go donate: http://www.precursorgames.com/shadowoftheeternals/

#2 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3749 posts) -

Many former Silicon Knights staffers have mentioned that the only reason Eternal Darkness turned out as well as it did was because Nintendo kept cracking the whip and carrying the team through rough spots.

Most of Silicon Knights other games speak to this, especially their more recent output. Not to mention that almost none of that team is still associated with or willing to associate with Dyack.

I loved Eternal Darkness, but anyone that thinks contributing to a Denis Dyack led Kickstarter is just throwing away their money.

The only company that can make a worthy sequel to Eternal Darkness is Nintendo (maybe through Retro?), and since I believe they own the IP, they can (but probably won't).

#3 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Reading about how they misused funds meant for other games to try to make ED2 makes me want to never want to support Dyack ever again.

#4 Posted by Dalai (7005 posts) -

I've wanted a sequel or a spiritual successor to Eternal Darkness for years, but only if Nintendo can keep Silicon Knights in check.

By the way, it looks like it's going to be available on Wii U and PC if it ever gets released, possibly other platforms.

#5 Edited by SilentPredator (127 posts) -

Count me among those that loved Eternal Darkness. My heart really wants a sequel to that game, but my brain tells me that Dyack absolutely can not be trusted. Like, at all.

#6 Edited by Daneian (1208 posts) -

Denis Dyack lol.

#7 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@silentpredator said:

Count me among those that loved Eternal Darkness. My heart really wants a sequel to that game, but my brain tells me that Dyack absolutely can not be trusted. Like, at all.

Your brain and mine think alike. I'm happy that this is at least happening, but I have zero hope in a Dyack project turning out well.

#8 Posted by Ghostiet (5228 posts) -

Giving money to Dyack is a bad idea.

#9 Edited by ManMadeGod (1552 posts) -
#10 Edited by caffeinezebra (7 posts) -
#11 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4167 posts) -

@caffeinezebra: Haha! Same font! Ohh..

Btw, why is Precursor Games going Wii U and PC first? Like, who's deciding this Nintendo fandom? I mean I don't think Nintendo's gonna die off in 5 years, but 6 maybe?.

#12 Posted by caffeinezebra (7 posts) -

My guess- they developed a prototype to try to get Nintendo to back it as Eternal Darkness: Gates of Twilight, but Nintendo turned it down, so they took what they made and crowd funded it. This would explain why in the IGN demo, the UI is already WiiU ready (with button prompts and such)

#13 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3749 posts) -

My guess- they developed a prototype to try to get Nintendo to back it as Eternal Darkness: Gates of Twilight, but Nintendo turned it down, so they took what they made and crowd funded it. This would explain why in the IGN demo, the UI is already WiiU ready (with button prompts and such)

That's exactly what happened. And I think they are hoping that if there's a strong consumer response, that Nintendo will fund it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.