Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 24, 2002

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is an action-adventure game notable for its Lovecraftian horror, multiple playable characters from different time periods, and fourth-wall-breaking "sanity effects".

Help with the final chapter. Please!

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By spacegandhi

Seeing that I am asking for help regarding the final chapter of the game, I suppose I'll throw up a general SPOILER WARNING. However, I don't really see this getting into story stuff. Double however, if you're commenting on this you've probably beaten the game.

I started playing Eternal Darkness earlier this year, but after taking a lengthy break I decided to wrap it up this morning. I'm in the final chapter as Alex and I am currently activating the various pillars to summon an Elder to counter Pious's. Pious is aligned with Xelo'lotath (Green), which makes my dominant alignment Chattur'gah (Red). I am up to the 6th pillar, moving from left to right, which was yet another Pargon rune. After dropping a Pargon onto the 6th tower I am warped into a room with three large pillars, not unlike the one the vampiritic creature fed off of in the Edward Roivas chapter. Each of the three pillars is engraved with each of the elder gods' symbols (Green, Blue, Red), and I must destroy all of them to take down the purple barrier and continue.

Every walkthrough I have found says that I need to use a Mantorok-aligned 7-Point "Attack Magick" spell while standing in the center of the room to destroy all three of the pillars at once. The only problem is that I DO NOT HAVE a Mantorok alignment! Apparently I missed getting it back in the Edwin Lindsey chapter and do not have an earlier save. Every time I attempt to attack individual pillars with a properly aligned Attack Magick or an enchanted weapon the other two pillars feed the pillar I am attacking with energy to summon a Horror. I have even attacked all three individually in an attempt to get the horrors to fight each other to no avail.

So, is there a way I can take out these pillars without the Mantorok rune?

I have found several posts that state that the Mantorok rune is optional, but have been unable to find any walkthrough or video that shows someone dealing with this room without it.

Here is a video of where I am at in the game (being beaten with the Mantorok rune): http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vnEgnoClwkQ#t=183s

Here is a video of someone getting the Mantorok rune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykkHaoNXbCE

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BoG

Before I begin, please turn your eyes to the left. You see that avatar? It's mine. You see that username? Also mine. I am, without down, an authority on Eternal Darkness. It's a fantastic game, and I am overjoyed that you are playing it. I will gladly assist you, in hopes that your experience with the game is more pleasant.

I actually don't know... I'm pretty sure that you don't actually need the Mantorok rune to complete the game. I would suggest just casting every spell you can at that point, and see if it works.

So much for being an authority...

Avatar image for deactivated-629f1111f1060
    deactivated-629f1111f1060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Ain't got much help to give. Just want to chime in and say that the game is one of my favorites and I envy you for still being in your first playthrough.

Good luck, have Chattur'gha.

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spacegandhi

@BoG: Your name is BoG and your avatar is of Megaman looking at a mountain. I have absolutely no idea why either of those signify your affinity for Eternal Darkness. None the less, thanks for...well...nothing. But still, I'm glad I got a few response to this however useless they were. I'll try grinding against this wall until it works. Any further, and actually helpful; dare I say "anecdotal", info would be appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-629f1111f1060
    deactivated-629f1111f1060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

@SpaceGandhi said:

@BoG: Your name is BoG and your avatar is of Megaman looking at a mountain. I have absolutely no idea why either of those signify your affinity for Eternal Darkness. None the less, thanks for...well...nothing. But still, I'm glad I got a few response to this however useless they were. I'll try grinding against this wall until it works. Any further, and actually helpful; dare I say "anecdotal", info would be appreciated.

I believe he was cleverly pointing out to you that he is the top editor of the wikipage for the game you're asking for help with, so if anyone would know what you're asking, it would be him :) As little help as he actually was.

And I would help, but it's been years since I played the game. I'll repost if something helpful comes back to me.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoG

@Penzilneck said:

@SpaceGandhi said:

I believe he was cleverly pointing out to you that he is the top editor of the wikipage for the game you're asking for help with, so if anyone would know what you're asking, it would be him :) As little help as he actually was.

And I would help, but it's been years since I played the game. I'll repost if something helpful comes back to me.

Yeah, I'm the top wiki editor for this page. I was trying to be funny with that post. I totally realize how useless my tip was.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BisonHero

It's been quite a few years, but I will agree with the others who have said that the Mantorok rune is completely optional. As far as I can remember, there is no mandatory puzzle that ever requires it. The main reason you get it is that it's effective against any element and it does bonus poison damage, so it's worth it to start casting most of your spells under that affinity.

Anyway, it sounds like the guides/FAQs you found for the game were made by completionists who got the Mantorok rune, but I can assure you that the part you're stuck at doesn't require it. I checked the first guide on GameFAQs, which had this to say:

3rd to Right Array: Yet another Pargon. In the next room, you'll find three obelisks. Don't attack them reguarly - use a dominating seven point magickal attack spell to get rid of all three and open the exit way.

It sounds like you just need to cast a Chattur'gah magickal attack and you'll be fine. The purple barrier is sorta confusing (usually they would use that generic yellow energy barrier), but it's irrelevant. I guess the guy who made that YouTube video was lazy and cast a Mantorok attack, but casting that same attack but with your dominant affinity should be fine.

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By spacegandhi

Sure enough, all I needed to do was attack one of the pillars with a dominant alignment 7-point Attack Magick spell. Sorry for being a bit critical of your comment BoG. And plus, thanks for quoting me and thus awarding me the Mod Comment quest. I have now completed this amazing game and am among the legion of those who wonder why the hell Silicon Knights hasn't buckled down for a sequel yet!

My Completed Games list of 2012: http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/spacegandhi/games-completed-in-2012/46-70775/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.