Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Eternal Sonata

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jun 14, 2007

Eternal Sonata is a fantasy RPG developed by tri-Crescendo that tells an alternate history story of Frédéric Chopin's final moments.

The Chopin Conundrum

ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Edited By ApolloJ85

Blog #2: The Chopin Conundrum

Eternal Sonata, AKA Trusty Bell
    I recently finished my first playthrough of Eternal Sonata. It's a pretty good game, and I have decided to give the new game+ a go despite some initial misgivings. However I have one major problem with it: 

I bought this game (cheaply) on the premise that Frederic Chopin and his music would feature heavily in it.

WTF is this? Chopin?
     WTF is this? Chopin?

That isn't the case. Chopin is a playable game character, but he's a stereotypically Japanese character loosely tied to the real world Frederic Chopin. I can understand that the designers have taken an artistic license out on his life (or dying dreams, I guess), as a 39 year old Polish musical genius bed-ridden with tuberculosis is perhaps a little hard to design a game around. But to then extrapolate his dreams into a typical JRPG plot is a bit of a waste. They could have put anyone in the game instead of Chopin and it wouldn't have made much difference. His compositions don't even feature heavily - only a few well-known pieces are included in cutscenes involving what seem like someone's holiday snaps of Europe and highly imaginative explanation of what each piece might have meant to the composer.

I had expected this game to include a soundtrack gleaned from his best works, and perhaps an RPG involving the quest for Polish independence for the gameplay, but I was sadly disappointed. Perhaps I should have read the wiki entry on Giant Bomb first.

She's not worth saving mate.
    Oh yeah, and the girl, Polka? She was so annoying, I just wanted to inflict physical violence on her. The way she walked with her arms out like a pathetic aeroplane, the way she talked, aaaaah! I hate you!

On the plus side, I enjoyed this game to the point where I now feel I can tackle Infinite Undiscovery (seriously, what is up with Japan and game titles?). I'm still not a big fan of JRPGs, but I can't not play a game if I have it in my collection.

Other Stuff

Anyway, I recently gave the following games a go, but they will fall by the wayside as I finish up my Eternal Sonata experience, and hopefully sink a lot of time into Red Dead Redemption when it comes out shortly afterwards.
    I wanna be a cowboy
    I wanna be a cowboy

Super Street Fighter IV
    Red Faction Guerilla
    Ninja Gaiden II
    P.B. Winterbottom

In non-gaming related matters, I have been putting off booking any plane tickets to the US for too long now. I should get on to it or I will never make it to San Diego (or get a decent cowboy hat) in September. Also, now I don't know when I should convert currency. I thought the Aussie dollar would climb against the US dollar later this year, but what do I know? It just lost 2 whole cents recently. That's a lot. At the rate I'm going I will end up holidaying in New Zealand (which isn't a bad second option).
    ApolloJ85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By ApolloJ85

Blog #2: The Chopin Conundrum

I recently finished my first playthrough of Eternal Sonata. It's a pretty good game, and I have decided to give the new game+ a go despite some initial misgivings. However I have one major problem with it: 

I bought this game (cheaply) on the premise that Frederic Chopin and his music would feature heavily in it.

WTF is this? Chopin?
     WTF is this? Chopin?

That isn't the case. Chopin is a playable game character, but he's a stereotypically Japanese character loosely tied to the real world Frederic Chopin. I can understand that the designers have taken an artistic license out on his life (or dying dreams, I guess), as a 39 year old Polish musical genius bed-ridden with tuberculosis is perhaps a little hard to design a game around. But to then extrapolate his dreams into a typical JRPG plot is a bit of a waste. They could have put anyone in the game instead of Chopin and it wouldn't have made much difference. His compositions don't even feature heavily - only a few well-known pieces are included in cutscenes involving what seem like someone's holiday snaps of Europe and highly imaginative explanation of what each piece might have meant to the composer.

I had expected this game to include a soundtrack gleaned from his best works, and perhaps an RPG involving the quest for Polish independence for the gameplay, but I was sadly disappointed. Perhaps I should have read the wiki entry on Giant Bomb first.

Oh yeah, and the girl, Polka? She was so annoying, I just wanted to inflict physical violence on her. The way she walked with her arms out like a pathetic aeroplane, the way she talked, aaaaah! I hate you!

On the plus side, I enjoyed this game to the point where I now feel I can tackle Infinite Undiscovery (seriously, what is up with Japan and game titles?). I'm still not a big fan of JRPGs, but I can't not play a game if I have it in my collection.

Other Stuff

Anyway, I recently gave the following games a go, but they will fall by the wayside as I finish up my Eternal Sonata experience, and hopefully sink a lot of time into Red Dead Redemption when it comes out shortly afterwards.
    I wanna be a cowboy
    I wanna be a cowboy

Super Street Fighter IV
    Red Faction Guerilla
    Ninja Gaiden II
    P.B. Winterbottom

In non-gaming related matters, I have been putting off booking any plane tickets to the US for too long now. I should get on to it or I will never make it to San Diego (or get a decent cowboy hat) in September. Also, now I don't know when I should convert currency. I thought the Aussie dollar would climb against the US dollar later this year, but what do I know? It just lost 2 whole cents recently. That's a lot. At the rate I'm going I will end up holidaying in New Zealand (which isn't a bad second option).
    Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Fbomb

Wait, so Chopin's music DOESN'T feature prominently in the game? That was the only reason I was going to pick it up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.