Grandfather shoplifts Euro Truck Simulator

#1 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

If you are this old dude and you are on GB (who else would buy ETS) please make yourself known :)

Grandfather 'steals games' from HMV after gift voucher rejected
A grandfather has walked out of HMV with three games without paying because the €40 (£33) gift voucher he had bought was not accepted by the shop on Dublin's Henry Street after several attempts.
Eric Nolan from Tyrrelstown, Dublin, had bought his grandson the voucher for Christmas but it can no longer be exchanged for goods after HMV went into administration on Tuesday.
He was followed down Dublin's Henry Street after walking out with Euro Truck Simulator 2 (€22.40), The Sims 3 Town Life (€11.99) and Rail Simulator (€28), the Irish Independent reports.
The total price was €62.39, reduced to €46.80 with the 25% blue cross discount, and Nolan pledged to post his €40 and the €6.80 balance to the store.
"Somebody has made a conscious decision not to pay out on vouchers and it's despicable," he told the newspaper.
"We are a nation of sheep - but I was determined to win this. HMV have taken hundreds of thousands of euros from the Irish people this Christmas and we shouldn't put up with it."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a451432/grandfather-steals-games-from-hmv-after-gift-voucher-rejected.html#ixzz2IBg2Z2g1

#2 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

He's into simulators that guy.

#3 Posted by Superfriend (1586 posts) -

@alternate said:

If you are this old dude and you are on GB (who else would buy ETS) please make yourself known :)

I don´t know duder.. judging from the steam top sellers list, this game is selling pretty okay. Now, GB might have something to do with this, but my guess is those simulation games just speak to more people than we all thought. Which is cool, since Euro Truck Simulator looks like an okay piece of software (better than those farming sim games, at least to me)

Great story by the way, I hope this guy doesn´t get into too much trouble from the law. In other news: European stores/retailers are still total money grabbing pricks and part of the reason for this whole neverending crisis we´re all in.

#4 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Giant Bomb didn't make Euro Truck Simulator so its entirely possible that was just some old Irish guy buying this for himself because he fucking loves trucks, or just good games. Also I think HMV's decision not to take vouchers anymore is a fucking disgrace, they've essentially stolen money from thousands of people.

#5 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Seriously?

@Ramone said:

Also I think HMV's decision not to take vouchers anymore is a fucking disgrace, they've essentially stolen money from thousands of people.

Didn't GAME stop accepting GAME card reward points or something when they went into administration too?

#6 Posted by beepmachine (617 posts) -

This man is a hero.

#7 Posted by Optix12 (625 posts) -

@zyn: Yea they did, but they at least kept all the data when they were bought out so I suppose if HMV is saved the same thing could happen?

#8 Edited by Akyho (1698 posts) -

It is a basic fact of Administration. Since they don't got no monies. However they just went through Christmas and a tone of vouchers were bought. Meaning morally this is a disgrace.

He has made a noise about it so he singularly might be fixed. However others wont be.

#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

Haha yeah, I like this story!

They took the man's money without giving him anything for it, it's good to see he's taking it back, with interest.

#10 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3817 posts) -

My first reaction to this story is WHAT? PC GAMES IN A STORE? Realized this occurred in Europe.

#11 Posted by Jams (2966 posts) -

I'm a little shocked that they sell a boxed copy of Euro Truck...

#12 Posted by ch3burashka (5256 posts) -

Fight for our rights, old man! Together we will bring down their empire!

Where was he when Circuit City was fucking people with un-activated points cards? That kind of behavior deserves at least a few store razings.

#13 Posted by alternate (2720 posts) -

@Superfriend said:

@alternate said:

I don´t know duder.. judging from the steam top sellers list, this game is selling pretty okay. Now, GB might have something to do with this, but my guess is those simulation games just speak to more people than we all thought. Which is cool, since Euro Truck Simulator looks like an okay piece of software (better than those farming sim games, at least to me)

Great story by the way, I hope this guy doesn´t get into too much trouble from the law. In other news: European stores/retailers are still total money grabbing pricks and part of the reason for this whole neverending crisis we´re all in.

I just assumed it was the germans. Although I can see why a kid would want to drive trucks (should really be called Euro Lorry Simulator). Still bewildered by all the agriculture sims.

#14 Edited by alternate (2720 posts) -

@Akyho said:

It is a basic fact of Administration. Since they don't got no monies. However they just went through Christmas and a tone of vouchers were bought. Meaning morally this is a disgrace.

He has made a noise about it so he singularly might be fixed. However others wont be.

yeah they all do - and still people buy gift vouchers. I understand, giving cash seems thoughtless but they are such a scam. They are worse than Disney Dollars.

Some dude was on the news saying he had been saving Jessops vouchers for the last 2 years to buy a camera and now he was out £700. On one hand I felt sympathy, on the other hand I thought - what a dimwit. I mean if he didn't have the self discipline to save cash without spending it then he would have just have pawned that camera to buy special brew within months of owning it.

#15 Posted by MildMolasses (3229 posts) -

@I_Stay_Puft said:

My first reaction to this story is WHAT? PC GAMES IN A STORE? Realized this occurred in Europe.

Can you really not buy PC games in stores in (I'm assuming you're American) the States? I can go into the local Walmarts and easily buy current boxed pc games. That's how I knew Atari published the Witcher 2. The same with other major retailers.

Although the Walmart thing could be different than the American stores. I can buy music with dirty words in it from Canadian Walmart stores

#16 Posted by _Chad (960 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

Can you really not buy PC games in stores in (I'm assuming you're American) the States? I can go into the local Walmarts and easily buy current boxed pc games. That's how I knew Atari published the Witcher 2. The same with other major retailers.

Although the Walmart thing could be different than the American stores. I can buy music with dirty words in it from Canadian Walmart stores

No, you can, but from what I've seen at Walmart, at least at the one where I live they really only have WoW, ToR and Diablo.

#17 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3817 posts) -

@_Chad said:

@MildMolasses said:

@I_Stay_Puft said:

No, you can, but from what I've seen at Walmart, at least at the one where I live they really only have WoW, ToR and Diablo.

Like he said, some will carry recent releases but for the most part because of digital distribution I haven't really checked the PC isles in awhile. Oh they still have Mavis Beacon, they'll always have Mavis Beacon...

#18 Posted by mandude (2666 posts) -

Right on old man!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.