Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

Does any game match EVE Online in atmosphere?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By dagas

Despite the lack of atmosphere in space, EVE online has plenty. I have not played in many years but I still can remember flying through space with the great soundtrack playing. Space that looked so beautiful that it could be art. Even back in the days before the DirectX9 update in 2007 it was a beautiful game. I am listening to the soundtrack now and I get the feeling of flying through that space.

I do not miss farming level 4 missions or mining astroids for hours but I do miss flying through space hearing the soundtrack, looking at a beautiful nebula and hearing the roar of the warp drive.

Does any game compare?

I played EVE between 2003-2009 although not non stop. I both miss it and am glad I left.

Real life space may be black and boring but space in EVE have a lot of color.
    Real life space may be black and boring but space in EVE have a lot of color.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Niceanims

I loved EVE's atmosphere. Even when I barely knew what I was doing, I was having fun just from how the game felt. The only game to do that to me since was Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl. I live in Washington state, and whenever I'm out in a relatively desolate forested area I now get the feeling I'm being watched thanks to Stalker.

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kinggiddra
    The full broadside.
    The full broadside.

The only thing that I've found that compares in terms of atmosphere is Dark Souls. It has the same bleak gloom permeating everything, with only the slightest glimmer of hope in the distance. In terms of real science fiction games, I've yet to find anything close.

I've heard people enjoy the X series, but after trying it a bit I just couldn't get into it. It always felt like a lifeless clone of EVE.

Loading Video...

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Cirdain

@dagas: Your title should say "Does any game match EVE Online's atmosphere?".

Also: https://www.google.com/search?q=best+atmosphere+in+games+site:www.giantbomb.com&safe=off&rlz=1C1CHFX_en-GBGB569GB569&es_sm=122

I got interested so I read all the forums. The following links all go to an atmospheric video or picture:

Alan Wake, Bioshocks', Dishonoured, Metros', Dead Spaces', Flower, Journey, Half-Lifes', Condemneds', Limbo, Gemini Rue, Dear Esther, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories & Gone Home, P.T., Homeworld, Mass-Effect 2, Shadow of the Colossus

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By kinggiddra

I would say nearly none of those games match the atmosphere of EVE. The closest might be Shadow of the Colossus, but even then it's a bit of a stretch.

Dead End Thrills had a pretty great article on the atmosphere of EVE about a year ago. He consulted the lead creative director of EVE and adds some amazing shots of the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.