EVE Online In-Game Protest

  • 131 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Posted by nismo (38 posts) -

never seen one this big, CCP closed off access to this area to stunt it's growth 
 
http://www.justin.tv/deamosseraph#/w/1380742320/4

#2 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Boy are people gonna rage when PS3 users fuck up EVE's economy later this year.

#3 Posted by Beaudacious (930 posts) -
@nismo: Context?
#4 Edited by Hector (3364 posts) -

This is awesome. I'm gonna watch every second of this!

Online
#5 Edited by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -
@Beaudacious said:

@nismo: Context?

I believe they're protesting CCP's decision to basically add Pay 2 Win micro transactions to EVE. 
 
@KaosAngel said:

Boy are people gonna rage when PS3 users fuck up EVE's economy later this year.

That's what I'm saying. I'm really not sure why people aren't more up-in-arms about console dudebros possibly being able to screw up their game.
#6 Posted by Irvandus (2879 posts) -

I support them.

#7 Posted by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

Some more context in the original post would be appreciated.

#8 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

None of this makes any sense to me.

#9 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -

@CL60 said:

None of this makes any sense to me.

You know, internet stuff.

#10 Posted by Soffish (139 posts) -

I find it kinda funny that the eve community has had such a strong negative reaction to microtransactions considering the extremely capitalistic nature of eve.

#11 Posted by ReyGitano (2467 posts) -

I've never played this game and I don't plan to, but I love that this game exists.

#12 Posted by gike987 (1755 posts) -
@CL60 said:
None of this makes any sense to me.
I have heard they are angry because CCP introduced micro transactions in the form of vanity items (clothes for your character). I don't know much about it though.
#13 Posted by Hiashi (87 posts) -

Fascinating.

#14 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@gike987 said:

@CL60 said:
None of this makes any sense to me.
I have heard they are angry because CCP introduced micro transactions in the form of vanity items (clothes for your character). I don't know much about it though.

...so it's like hats but for EVE?

#15 Edited by gike987 (1755 posts) -
@BlastoTheSpectre said:

I find it kinda funny that the eve community has had such a strong negative reaction to microtransactions considering the extremely capitalistic nature of eve.

I saw someone typing "DOWN WITH CORPORATE FASCISM" in the chat, which I found pretty funny seeing that EVE is all about corporations ruling the universe.
 
@KaosAngel said:

@gike987 said:

@CL60 said:

None of this makes any sense to me.
I have heard they are angry because CCP introduced micro transactions in the form of vanity items (clothes for your character). I don't know much about it though.

...so it's like hats but for EVE?


Pretty much. The only difference is that if you are really rich in game you can pay for it with in game money by converting it into "hat" money.
#16 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

Well currently the protest are so bad that you cannot get into a major trade hub (Jita) and I keep getting kicked off of the server. The main issue is the micro-transactions that have started to appear in eve along with a leaked internal memo talking about the future direction of EVE as a system.

@KaosAngel: Also no players in Dust 514 can really effect the economy more than players of EVE. EVE players are paying merc groups to take over or fight for planets, the amount they get paid goes into increasing their merc groups overall effectiveness there by making them more well know and contracted.

#17 Posted by amomjc (977 posts) -

@BlastoTheSpectre said:

I find it kinda funny that the eve community has had such a strong negative reaction to microtransactions considering the extremely capitalistic nature of eve.

Good god, I was thinking EXACTLY this as I watched that.

#18 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

And that day marked the end of civilization as we know it.

#19 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@TheCableKid: So if a corp pays a shitload for their PMC, the PMC can troll and lose on purpose...thus wasting the monies of the corp?

#20 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

@gike987 said:

@CL60 said:
None of this makes any sense to me.
I have heard they are angry because CCP introduced micro transactions in the form of vanity items (clothes for your character). I don't know much about it though.

...so it's like hats but for EVE?

They added in stuff like shirts, that cost the same as clothes in the real world. Like $25 for an in game shirt.
#21 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@crusader8463 said:

They added in stuff like shirts, that cost the same as clothes in the real world. Like $25 for an in game shirt.

Dude that's awesome! If it works out in EVE, Valve needs to look into it. I'd totally buy an exclusive shirt in-game!

#22 Edited by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

@crusader8463 said:

They added in stuff like shirts, that cost the same as clothes in the real world. Like $25 for an in game shirt.

Dude that's awesome! If it works out in EVE, Valve needs to look into it. I'd totally buy an exclusive shirt in-game!

The difference is that EVE has an in game currency that's made from real world money, and these items have basically destroyed the in world economy and made a lot of real world money people had in game worthless. For a game that is literally all about the economy this is bad. Then they are really pissed off because the company is refusing to talk about a ton of other problems that has pissed off the community about things that they are doing with the game from something to do with a leaked document detailing what they plan to do with the game in the next few years, and it's basically making it into a pay2win game.
#23 Posted by Soffish (139 posts) -

@KaosAngel: Of course trolling and screwing people over is the universal pastime of new eden.

#24 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Asking real world prices for virtual shit has never been done again because it's been accepted universally as a stupid idea. For some reason CCP decided it was a good idea to charge people the ISK equivalent of $68 for a fucking monocle. Great way to piss off your player base even before your console only shooter fucks up the game more this fall. Fuck them. I'm canceling my account.

#25 Posted by Nate_is_my_fake_name (133 posts) -

This stuff is optional and can be purchased with ingame money.
 
I wonder how the guys Taggart Transdimensional feel about this lol.

#26 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

@BlastoTheSpectre: They are angered at the idea of using micro-transactions that could greatly damage the game and the capitalist ideas behind it.

#27 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

@KaosAngel: While that Idea is possible that Merc group will never get hired again ie leading them unable to pay for their equipment to fight, and therefore leaving them to disband.

#28 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@crusader8463: I know nothing about EVE, but I know GoonSquad are considered to be S-Tier with kicking ass and I love their stuff. I see no problem with it, as Valve does it and no one complains.

@ShadowSkill11: I have been told earlier in this thread that the PS3 game won't really do much....why do you disagree?

#29 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

So is it just vanity items or is it items that changes stats too? if it's the latter I can see why there would be riots but I don't know what's going on and nobody here is being specific. This type of stuff is always great to watch though

#30 Posted by Chris2KLee (2336 posts) -

Vanity items are fine, but it's the prices that seem insane. I went to the website and read a developer message that basically compared it to buying real clothes, and the value you get from expressing yourself or some craziness. It's strange to see CCP do this, as it always seemed to want to support it's tight little community of spreadsheet lunatics. This looks like they're burning down their own house.

Online
#31 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@Chris2KLee: How is that any different than Valve charging for up to 100 bucks for limited edition hats?

#32 Posted by Chris2KLee (2336 posts) -

@KaosAngel said:

@Chris2KLee: How is that any different than Valve charging for up to 100 bucks for limited edition hats?

Not saying that is much better either, but Valve can afford the bad PR, and always try and make up for it later. CCP is a smaller company with only 1 game, if they burn their fanbase, there isn't much for them to fall back on.

Online
#33 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

so nobody has a clue about if it's only vanity items or if it also includes "Pay 2 Win" items.. Vanity items, no matter the price, seem like a terrible reason to protest(at least to me). I mean, they could just, you know, not buy them

#34 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

so nobody has a clue about if it's only vanity items or if it also includes "Pay 2 Win" items.. Vanity items, no matter the price, seem like a terrible reason to protest(at least to me). I mean, they could just, you know, not buy them

Where were you when the TF2 store came out? I mean, this just sounds like what Valve does for TF2...you can buy hats or you can buy real weapons with real money...but you can earn all those gears from grinding.

If this is the case, there is no reason to fuss.

#35 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@KaosAngel said:

@ZeForgotten said:

so nobody has a clue about if it's only vanity items or if it also includes "Pay 2 Win" items.. Vanity items, no matter the price, seem like a terrible reason to protest(at least to me). I mean, they could just, you know, not buy them

Where were you when the TF2 store came out? I mean, this just sounds like what Valve does for TF2...you can buy hats or you can buy real weapons with real money...but you can earn all those gears from grinding.

If this is the case, there is no reason to fuss.

Erhm I was there before the store was launched to the masses and I'm not disagreeing so that TF2 stuff means absolute shit to me since I'm saying exactly the same fucking thing :P

If it's just what Vavle is doing then people are just whining because they have a bad day, optional stuff shouldn't make kids angry but it seems to be all the rage to cry about optional vanity items these days. I can't watch the stream right now since I'm at work so I don't even know if they're talking about anything special. I did see them trying to lag the server so that's good, make the experience less fun for the people who don't care about all this stuff

#36 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: They could possibly add something that would destabilize the economy within EVE.

#37 Edited by FateOfNever (1839 posts) -

So, it sounds like - CCP might be adding even more microtransaction (MT) stuff beyond what they've already put in the game, and they still want a subscription to the game, and people are trying to get answers about if those MT items that may be getting added will be things that effect in game mechanics, but, they are getting no answers back from CCP at all.  So, they're protesting the idea of MT items that will effect game mechanics, as well as to protest the idea of EVE being a MT heavy game as well as having a subscription.  And it sounds like there are leaked internal documents that have only made the situation worse.  Or something.  That's all I've been able to piece together so far anyway.
 
Edit: And apparently there's been some kind of development in the situation.  No idea what, but, some kind of development.

#38 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

@TheCableKid: Oh well sure, that is true and if EVE has something going for it that is pretty awesome it's how the economy is handled in that universe. But if we need to protest over stuff that could happen we shouldn't stop protesting ever

#39 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

How do the GoonSquad feel abou this?

#40 Edited by gike987 (1755 posts) -
@TheCableKid said:

@ZeForgotten: They could possibly add something that would destabilize the economy within EVE.

It could also help stop inflation by making the rich people spend some of their ISK on vanity items, taking some money out of the system. All big changes of EVE could potentially destabilize the economy, so if you want any changes to EVE at all you just have to accept the risks.
#41 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

@KaosAngel: Its Goonswarm, and there CEO released a statement earlier today halting there current conflict with the NC. No word yet from the Russian or and of old B.o.B corps but it has halted alot of things in game.@ZeForgotten said:

@TheCableKid: Oh well sure, that is true and if EVE has something going for it that is pretty awesome it's how the economy is handled in that universe. But if we need to protest over stuff that could happen we shouldn't stop protesting ever

yeah I agree but CCP has always been a company that listen to it players, so I hope they take this to heart.

#42 Edited by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

Breaking News: Eve players are fucking crazy and don't respond well to things like game breaking microtransactions.

#43 Posted by TheCableKid (206 posts) -

@gike987: I see your point however things they talk about in the supposed memo also talk of buying ISK from CCP, remember all ISK and items are created by players for stuff in game, the vanity stuff is not so much a promblem as more a sign of the times.

I also apologize if my statement is a little weird my brain is a bit fried from being up for a day.

#44 Posted by Mikemcn (6988 posts) -

Oh, and they're shooting at the monument in Jita, that place is laggy when people aren't protesting, all hell must be breaking loose there.

#45 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

@ShadowSkill11 said:

Asking real world prices for virtual shit has never been done again because it's been accepted universally as a stupid idea.

Tell that to Valve, Blizzard, and all the companies raking in cash for avatar items on XBLA. I wish you were right, but unfortunately people fucking LOVE to pay real world money for fake vanity items. Hell, I'll admit-- I've bought a couple. Whatever, welcome to the 21st century.

#46 Edited by DougQuaid (1274 posts) -

If they're already asking $70 for a monocle for your character that is purely cosmetic, how much do you think they could get away with when charging for a ship?

#47 Posted by Turambar (6784 posts) -
@KaosAngel said:

@gike987 said:

@CL60 said:
None of this makes any sense to me.
I have heard they are angry because CCP introduced micro transactions in the form of vanity items (clothes for your character). I don't know much about it though.

...so it's like hats but for EVE?

The leaked memo stated that the plans were not only for vanity items, but also selling faction standings and high tier equipment for ships.
 
@DougQuaid said:
@Beaudacious said:

@nismo: Context?

I believe they're protesting CCP's decision to basically add Pay 2 Win micro transactions to EVE. 
 
@KaosAngel said:

Boy are people gonna rage when PS3 users fuck up EVE's economy later this year.

That's what I'm saying. I'm really not sure why people aren't more up-in-arms about console dudebros possibly being able to screw up their game.
At least in that case, any fucking up of economy is caused purely by players and is organic.
#48 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

@DougQuaid said:

If they're already asking $70 for a monocle for your character that is purely cosmetic, how much do you think they could get away with when charging for a ship?

They already charge for ships. If they were selling ships, they'd have to give equal or better than the existing market.

#49 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

EVE Online is leading the way in creating crazy MMO playerbases

#50 Posted by CastroCasper (1301 posts) -

The stream is people playing Europop and shooting ships. Where can I sign up for this "protest"?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.