Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

EVE Online is still crazy

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By shinigami420

Sorry if this have been posted before but i through this was interesting and didnt see any forum posts about this

(this is not a post about the protest this topic is mainly about the meeting between CCP and CSM)

This is a video of a meeting between CCP and CSM

here is what CSM is (from eve wiki)

The Council of Stellar Management (or CSM) is a group of players that is meant to communicate directly with CCP regarding player concerns. Its scope is limited to EVE-Online, its development, and and out-of-game issues that have direct relevance to the game.

The CSM is made up of nine players, with five alternate members in case of absences. Terms last for six months. Members of the CSM are expected to travel to Iceland once during their term for a meeting.

Voting for the CSM occurs over a two-week period. A player may vote once per active account that has been active for at least thirty days previously. The candidate with the highest vote total becomes the council Chairman. The Chairman is then responsible for organizing a council vote for the positions of Vice-Chairman, Secretary, and Vice-Secretary.

The first round of voting for the CSM began on May 5, 2008. It will end on May 19, 2008 and winners will be announced May 21, 2008.

Here is a video of the EVE protest

Not gonna lie this seems fucking crazy

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EuanDewar

That second video seems to be comprised of people shooting lasers at things with no effect whatsoever.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By willin

@EuanDewar: Oh you mean like EVERY SCI FI GAME EVER?

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By shinigami420

@EuanDewar said:

That second video seems to be comprised of people shooting lasers at things with no effect whatsoever.

They are trying to blow up some kind of some trade thing you can blow it up but the ccp made it indestructible becuse of the protest

but they are still making it lagg for everybody trying to use it

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EuanDewar

@Lights_Up_The_Shaft: Star Trek Online, maybe.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By MariachiMacabre

The more I see this game the worse it looks.
    Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@EuanDewar said:

It was in a major trade hub, the protest was designed to basically cause the trade system to go into lockdown because of the lag caused by the attacks.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EuanDewar

@shinigami420: Unless the trade thing was the store against which they are protesting, making it lag for everyone is not an effective way of gaining popularity. Or maybe it is, who knows. This is EVE and frankly anything could happen and I would just go "Yeah, sounds about right".

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shinigami420

@EuanDewar said:

@shinigami420: Unless the trade thing was the store against which they are protesting, making it lag for everyone is not an effective way of gaining popularity. Or maybe it is, who knows. This is EVE and frankly anything could happen and I would just go "Yeah, sounds about right".

Yeah i dont really know this all seems so fucking crazy who knows

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By UnrealDP

Emergency meeting? He flew all the way out to Iceland for this? Whoa, thats super awesome and totally wierd at the same time.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

If it wasn't crazy it wouldn't be Eve Online.

Also can someone please explain to me how a bunch of ships shooting at a space station counts as a protest?

shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By shinigami420

@UnrealDP said:

Emergency meeting? He flew all the way out to Iceland for this? Whoa, thats super awesome and totally wierd at the same time.

Yeah every member of the The Council of Stellar Management are expected to travel to Iceland once during their term for a meeting.

Its soo fucking crazy i dont ever want to play this crazy game but i love that it exist!!!

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @EuanDewar: Haha I was waiting the whole time for it to blow up.
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shinigami420

@Mr_Skeleton said:

Also can someone please explain to me how a bunch of ships shooting at a space station counts as a protest?

@Marokai said:

@EuanDewar said:

It was in a major trade hub, the protest was designed to basically cause the trade system to go into lockdown because of the lag caused by the attacks.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mikemcn
    @shinigami420

@EuanDewar said:

They are trying to blow up some kind of some trade thing you can blow it up but the ccp made it indestructible becuse of the protest

but they are still making it lagg for everybody trying to use it

Its a monument erected in the name of the victors of one of the Eve Online tournaments I think. I havent played in awhile but its indestructible by design.
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By Renahzor
    @UnrealDP:  
    Some clarification, 7 CSM members met with CCP in the emergency session, with others video conferencing in to certain aspects(yes 7 people flew to iceland on about 6 days notice...).  The dude in video 1 is "The Mittani", the CEO of Goonswarm and the elected CSM chairman.  This is an emergency session, paid for by CCP I believe, and they're still expected to go to the summit in December.   

@Mr_Skeleton
    More clarification, EVE is run on a single server, the place of protest is the central trade hub for the entire game, this causes lag and makes them put pop caps on the system etc.  Its a big pain in the ass for everyone, bringing some visibility to their....  protest, thus serving its purpose.   

All this whole thing really served to do was to get CCP to clarify a couple statements that were a little vague, and force the CSM to fly to Iceland to try and get things straightened out.  
    UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By UnrealDP

@Renahzor:

Thanks for clarifying, but its stil insane that you could call an emergeny meeting of something like this! EVE is so damn awesome yet unbelievably crazy at the same time!

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Beaudacious

Eve isn't a game its Second Life: Space Trade edition

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @EuanDewar said:

It was.

And raise your glass to the Eve online protesters. They probably stopped pay to win from being forced on their game. And if it had been successful there, it would have probably been attempted elsewhere.
    sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sirdesmond

@Ragdrazi said:

And raise your glass to the Eve online protesters. They probably stopped pay to win from being forced on their game. And if it had been successful there, it would have probably been attempted elsewhere.

Except they didn't. The new microtransaction stuff is purely cosmetic add-ons for the brand new character creator, and frankly, the pricing is so ridiculously high that I'm not sure anyone has been buying much of anything.

One thing that everyone seems to forget is that as long as I have been playing, Eve has allowed you to sell game time codes in the form of PLEX in game. Last I checked, one PLEX (30-days of game time, around $15 USD) sold on the in-game market for around $400 million ISK. That is a mechanic that can truly give players the upper-hand, allowing them to buy anything and everything within the game, and it has always been there (or at least since 2008). I could spend $45 bucks, sell the PLEX in-game, and be a billionaire on day one, but since it has been around forever no one seems to mind.

Start selling a useless monocle for $15 a pop though, and people throw a hissy fit.

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ragdrazi
    @sirdesmond: The threat of Pay to Win was on the table. The threat of buying faction standings was on the table. The fact that this exploit you're talking about has been in the game forever means nothing precisely because it has been in the game forever. The game's carefully structured economy has this as a piece. What was at stake here was faction standings and gold ammo. It had absolutely nothing to do with the useless monocles. The monocles were just the most open example of baffling greed on the table.

Listen, when ever a group of people do something smart and brave someone like you feels the burning need to come along and say it meant nothing to justify to yourself the fact that you yourself do nothing. I don't care that you feel the need to justify that to yourself. Work through it in what ever way you feel is appropriate, but don't involve me.
    Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Giantstalker

Also, did anyone else feel it was just a bit immersion breaking to have monocles that cost more than battleships? A lot more?

sirdesmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sirdesmond

@Ragdrazi: Was purchasing faction standings ever an option? I had stopped playing Eve about a month before this whole debacle started and only just reactivated so I may have missed some of the details, but I did not remember hearing that that was part of the microtransactions introduced. If that or gold ammo as you said was, in fact, at stake that does certainly change things and make the "Pay to Win" scenario much more realistic. I am sorry if I was simply not informed enough to realize that that had been an option at one time.

Do you also disagree with the policy of being about to sell PLEX in game? I am just wondering as that seems to be nearly identical to me in principle (although it is so engrained in the game economy now that they could never really removed it).

I don't really think we know each other nearly well enough to start making sweeping judgements including statements like "someone like you." I am in no way jealous of the fact that I did nothing as, at the time, I was not playing the game and did not have a huge investment. Honestly, my original post had much too strong of an opinion on this matter based on my only passing knowledge of the event itself and that was stupid of me to do in the first place.

@Giantstalker: I would definitely agree with that. I was just browsing the in-game store yesterday and there is literally a monocle that I think would cost about $30 USD, if not more. It's pretty insane.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By YoungFrey

@sirdesmond: Buying PLEX isn't exactly game breaking. You could go in on day 1, buy several PLEX, and cash them in for a billion ISK. But what you can usefully do with it is limited by time. You can't fly those giant ships without the skills and those take time. And even then, EVE is still the game where being able to fly a ship is no promise of anything. The game is full of players desperate to fly the new hotness that they field ships they have no real world skill in and lose scads of cash. The things that people were afraid would start costing $ were things that could only be had via time. This is something the players have in the past been quite opposed to. At one point CCP was planning to sell respecs. But that meant wealthy players could pay to train their skills faster than others. So it didn't go in. Players were recently afraid money would be allowed to buy extra good ammo of faction standings. Hence the protest, and massive forum outrage.

itchyeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By itchyeyes

@sirdesmond: Exactly. In fact, I think that NEX is a direct result of PLEX. With PLEX, CCP basically made a free to play MMO with no way to get any sort of revenue out of those who decide to use PLEX to play the game. So long as PLEX exists, some sort of micro-transaction model was inevitable.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By VisariLoyalist

can i just note here Dave even doesn't know what he's talking about. He was assuming agent rewards is the main source of income in this game which is completely untrue. Most of your income comes a combination of taxed and non taxed sources.

Not gonna lie this seems fucking crazy

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VisariLoyalist

@itchyeyes said:

@sirdesmond: Exactly. In fact, I think that NEX is a direct result of PLEX. With PLEX, CCP basically made a free to play MMO with no way to get any sort of revenue out of those who decide to use PLEX to play the game. So long as PLEX exists, some sort of micro-transaction model was inevitable.

this makes no sense. someone still has to pay 20 bucks for a PLEX to exist. They get their money for every month of game time either way. The price of PLEX simply reflects how much people value isk. If you are a productive enough player to afford a PLEX with isk than you're supporting that market, but someone still paid real money for your month of game time.

Sacerdos87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Sacerdos87

Either way, the players lose, CCP wins.

YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By YoungFrey
    @VisariLoyalist said:

@itchyeyes said:

this makes no sense. someone still has to pay 20 bucks for a PLEX to exist. They get their money for every month of game time either way. The price of PLEX simply reflects how much people value isk. If you are a productive enough player to afford a PLEX with isk than you're supporting that market, but someone still paid real money for your month of game time.

Agreed.  The only way CCP makes money off of PLEX is if they are not redeemed.  And this does happen.  People fly out into space with them and get ganked where some are destroyed, almost certainly some people are sitting on some as investments, and anybody who quits playing with a PLEX on hand might choose to bank it for later rather than give it away.  But still, I do not think any of those things is a significant factor.   So that means the only real source of extra cash CCP gets from PLEX is when they are turned into Arum, which can only buy vanity items.  That hardly qualifies as EVE being an FtP game.  

I do not understand how this is still a significant argument.  Reading EVE forums makes me feel like I have a masters in economics.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.