Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

EVE Starter Pack 5$ on Steam

BenLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BenLuke
    laserbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I just picked it up for the hell of it; however, is there any gamepad support in the game? Just curious.

Avatar image for burningstickman
    BurningStickMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By BurningStickMan
    @laserbot said:

I just picked it up for the hell of it; however, is there any gamepad support in the game? Just curious.

Gamepad support? Uh oh. I think this is not the game you think it is.

No gamepad. All mouse/UI driven since you don't fly your ship directly.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gimmie 'does cards, yo.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#5 fisk0  Moderator

@laserbot said:

In terms of ship control, think more in the lines of Star Trek (the depiction in the TV shows rather than the games) than Star Wars. You pretty much fly your ship by telling it (err, clicking on stuff) to "orbit that thing at a distance of 30 kilometers" or "approach that starbase". You do not directly control the heading of the ship, only it's movement relative to other objects in space.

laserbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By laserbot

@fisk0 said:

@burningstickman said:
    @laserbot said:

In terms of ship control, think more in the lines of Star Trek (the depiction in the TV shows rather than the games) than Star Wars. You pretty much fly your ship by telling it (err, clicking on stuff) to "orbit that thing at a distance of 30 kilometers" or "approach that starbase". You do not directly control the heading of the ship, only it's movement relative to other objects in space.

Got it, thanks guys! I actually played a decent amount this weekend and am now a newbie. I think I like it, although I'm totally bewildered. Going to look into how to hunt combat signatures and start ratting.

BenLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Join the "giantbombing" chat channel if you haven't already, lots of good folks in there to answer whatever questions you'll have. :D

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#8  Edited By Brackynews

Just as a teaser for high-level play, you absolutely can control the heading of your ship, but it is: 1) akin to a real time strategy game like Homeworld, 2) serves almost no purpose during combat, and 3) is irrelevant to warping.

How? Double click in space. Turn on your tactical overlay for more precision.

Why? Navigating around bad geometry is why I do it. Sometimes my ship will get stuck on a collidable object. Also for setting ultra-specific tactical bookmarks. If you are being hunted, sometimes it is safer to warp right on top of a station than to normal docking distance. And lastly, for the photo hunt contest this month. :D

Also it seems the no-API warning has now been taken off the store page, so that's good news.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#9 fisk0  Moderator

Just as a teaser for high-level play, you absolutely can control the heading of your ship, but it is: 1) akin to a real time strategy game like Homeworld, 2) serves almost no purpose during combat, and 3) is irrelevant to warping.

How? Double click in space. Turn on your tactical overlay for more precision.

Why? Navigating around bad geometry is why I do it. Sometimes my ship will get stuck on a collidable object. Also for setting ultra-specific tactical bookmarks. If you are being hunted, sometimes it is safer to warp right on top of a station than to normal docking distance. And lastly, for the photo hunt contest this month. :D

Also it seems the no-API warning has now been taken off the store page, so that's good news.

Oh, I always assumed that it just aligned to some object beyond render distance when I double clicked

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#11  Edited By Brackynews

@mr_creeper: Super-high transverse-velocity play! Pro tips.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.