Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

Greatest scam in mmo history.

• 74 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Not only is this an amazing and fascinating story, but probably the most well thought out scam in mmo history. 
    This is a very long read but I would highly recommend that you read it all, the article/blog is a very well written and interesting story that I fucking loved, hope you enjoy it also. 

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html     

***EDIT***  

Btw this is where he got his guilds name from, 

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/z/zzzzbest.asp    
    Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By pirate_republic

No kidding, this is a very, very long read. I'm tempted to print it so it'll be easier to read. Hmm...

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jambones

Up to part 6 mysefl. Pretty good so far. 

Thanks for the link, Bucketdeth.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Absurd

"  In case you haven't deduced by now, mining in Eve Online is about as fun as fucking a fat chick's festering corpse."

He's a gifted writer.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By pause422

I read almost all of it, but got the main parts of what it was saying. Absolutely hilarious, I haven't felt utterly happy and just laughed at something I read about someone explaining something they did in a game ever. Guy is a genius, and its great how it ends.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jambones

Finished. Loved the end :D

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By animateria

Epic.

I mean stuff like this is known to happen in EVE, so its absolutely believable.

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By raggedglory

Man, thats banana's.  On one hand it makes me want to play EVE just to see what its like, but on the other it makes me want to stare at it from a far distance, lest I get too close to the waaaaaaay too realistic gameplay stuff (flying somewhere for 5 hours?  God damn) and the super heavily invested players and asshole trolls.

A+, would read again, though his isn't big as these
    200 billion isk's:  http://eve-scams.blogspot.com/2009/07/ebank-scam-omg.html
    and this amazing one for 700 billion isk's :  http://news.softpedia.com/news/Eve-Online-Economy-Suffers-700-billion-ISK-Scam-33737.shtml 

Eve online seems like a scary, scary place.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain

Eve by all rights should be everything you could hope for in a space faring MMO. Unfortunately, it's just not, it doesnt 'feel' right and it's way too open to scamming. Now, scamming like this I totally support. But scamming like opening contracts with ridiculously high collateral and sending them to a locked starbase so the guy can't complete the transaction and you get to keep the collateral. Bullshit. When you combine that with the fact people can simply run off with your items, also bullshit. 

Now, I don't mind the ability to do those things, but its all people do, so essentially a large portion of the game is unusable, not because you 'might' get scammed, but because you will get scammed. 

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Absurd

My eyes hurt now, I can't believe I read all of that.

Bolt3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bolt3

Great read! Thanks for sharing.

EVE sounds amazing.

VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VirtuaXav

that was a MAD story! epic-ly long, but totally worth it.

can't believe how much effort he put into it, then it finally paid off, only for him to quit all together! =O
    but the way he screwed that guy over with the library phone number was awesome, epic win.

NoDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NoDeath

Unbe-fucking-lievably awesome. I can't remember the last time I read anything half that entertaining. Simply superb.

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By laticsfan

Possibly the most epic thing i've ever read. Some one should totaly do a short about this.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGremp

Wow, I don't think I've ever read an online story that long, but it was totally worth it.  Great writing style, always kept me interested...  Some moments really had a grip on my emotions, which worries me, because I wasn't even aware that I had any of those.  I also really want to start playing EVE now.

Thanks for the link.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By c1337us

I dont know. I found it pretty hard to read pretty soon so I skipped to the end and it didnt seem that exciting.

Vision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Vision

I just finished reading it through 10 minutes ago. 

And it's not the scam to give the best profit in MMO history but it sure as hell is the best and most awesome plan in MMO history i have ever heard of. 

I loved the ending. ^^

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By KillaMaStA

Good story, A little too long tho.

And its further proof that the EVE crowd is crazy. They all sound like stereotypical computer geeks with huge egos.

Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dirty_Harry

That was amazing!

pureguava76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pureguava76

I've seen a lot about Eve Online scams. From what I understand, they aren't encouraged but aren't discouraged either by the community and/or staff. Any Eve gamers confirm that? Anyway - here is the one I heard about, 700 billion ISK (ISK = the in game currency from what I understand) Not sure if this is the same story from the op, don't have time to read that right now!

http://mmorpg.qj.net/Biggest-scam-in-EVE-Online-history/pg/49/aid/62826

Here is the video of the dude that supposedly organized the thing, confessing:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1993624284569945666

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " Eve by all rights should be everything you could hope for in a space faring MMO. Unfortunately, it's just not, it doesnt 'feel' right and it's way too open to scamming. Now, scamming like this I totally support. But scamming like opening contracts with ridiculously high collateral and sending them to a locked starbase so the guy can't complete the transaction and you get to keep the collateral. Bullshit. When you combine that with the fact people can simply run off with your items, also bullshit.  Now, I don't mind the ability to do those things, but its all people do, so essentially a large portion of the game is unusable, not because you 'might' get scammed, but because you will get scammed.   "
    No, its not. Its the way games like this should be for those that want this type of thing. If someone is going to get into any mmo completely hardcore, something like EVE, where casual players really don't exist in it, having the staff completely let this stuff happen is the best possible outcome for that kind of shit. If I could kill a player and take all their money on WoW, or scam them somehow and not have Blizz care a single bit, I would genuinely still love that game. MMo's got extremely carebear for a long time though now, so hearing EVE stories again, one that has always been one of the greats and lets this stuff happen, is really refreshing.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @pause422 said:
    " @The_A_Drain said:
    " Eve by all rights should be everything you could hope for in a space faring MMO. Unfortunately, it's just not, it doesnt 'feel' right and it's way too open to scamming. Now, scamming like this I totally support. But scamming like opening contracts with ridiculously high collateral and sending them to a locked starbase so the guy can't complete the transaction and you get to keep the collateral. Bullshit. When you combine that with the fact people can simply run off with your items, also bullshit.  Now, I don't mind the ability to do those things, but its all people do, so essentially a large portion of the game is unusable, not because you 'might' get scammed, but because you will get scammed.   "
    No, its not. Its the way games like this should be for those that want this type of thing. If someone is going to get into any mmo completely hardcore, something like EVE, where casual players really don't exist in it, having the staff completely let this stuff happen is the best possible outcome for that kind of shit. If I could kill a player and take all their money on WoW, or scam them somehow and not have Blizz care a single bit, I would genuinely still love that game. MMo's got extremely carebear for a long time though now, so hearing EVE stories again, one that has always been one of the greats and lets this stuff happen, is really refreshing. "

I don't think you understood my post, i'm agreeing with you, but i'm arguing that certain bad design decisions on the developers part make aspects of the game completely useless. 

The contract functionality for example, especially for ferrying goods, is completely useless, it does nothing whatsoever. Having the ability, the means, and the encouragement to scam people is fine, I support that fully, but when that becomes the sole purpose of the game, it's lost all meaning. You have to maintain a balance, and when near enough 100% of contracts are scams, something went horribly wrong and the feature becomes next to useless, because there is no risk, not thought, no 'game'. If there was a geniune risk either way of getting a legit, or a scam contract, i'd support that, but as it stands certain aspects of the Eve universe are almost 100% guaranteed to be scams, hence you simply do not use them. 

That's not what anybody wants. People who want to scam want these systems to work properly because it means more people to potentially scam, and people who don't want to be scammed want these systems to work properly because it means they can engage in a little risk and maybe get scammed, instead of being guaranteed to get scammed. 

Bad design is not refreshing, that just stupid. I get where you are coming from, and I completely agree, you are arguing a totally different point to mine though. I'm simply arguing that some better design of these systems would enable legitimate trade instead of just favoring scammers. You need both legitimate trade, and potential scams in order for the system to function as intended, having solely one or the other is just as bullshit, I don't run in for this whole 'carebear' bullshit, after all it's up to developers how they run their MMOs. Eve's developers have made there intentions clear, and that's fine, I really like the ability to act however you like, but when the game design favors scamming over legitimate trade, you have a problem because people simply stop using the system, it becomes dead, rather than thriving with both kinds of activity like it was intended.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By KaosAngel

That was one of the best things I've ever heard.  It's 2 a.m. and I spent it reading this.  Thank you Bucket.  It's a true story of business and what we're taught in school.  It was awesome.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kohe321

Great read, thanks for the link!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haha, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it, I know now to stay a few feet back from Eve, looks like a ton of fun but you might just pay a heavy toll for fucking with the wrong people.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By subject2change

gah blocked by my work firewall, read it over the weekend.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Subject2Change said:
    " gah blocked by my work firewall, read it over the weekend. "
    Use Hotspot Shield!
    RentonSpotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RentonSpotter

If I could get the rights to that story, I would totally make a lengthy short about it. What a great story, I would love to read more from that writer, he's got a great sense of humour and isn't afraid to poke fun at himself. 

Spoilers Below*

I don't fully understand why he scammed HardHead though, nor why he poured salt on the wound afterwards. I guess he got his come-uppance though. 

*Spoilers End*
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By Icemael

That... was fucking awesome.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Good read

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By SlowHands

This is why Eve (or EVE?) is the most interesting MMO out there.  Other games might have better mechanics but as a social thing Eve is boss.

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RipTheVeins

Wow..I have serious tunnel vision now, but that was a good read.  I think that the part that made me smile most was just thinking about the poor librarians who had to deal with that god-damn phone for possibly months on end, and the poor people who would actually pick the phone up only to get this irate wheezing fat-ass screaming at the top of his lungs into their ear.  I wasn't aware how emotionally attached I could become to a narrator so quickly either...I mean looking back that guy was a scumbag, yet his charm caught hold of me.  Again, good read.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#33  Edited By ArbitraryWater

EVE online is like a condensed version of real-life capitalism... on crack. How awesome is that?

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By ArcBorealis

I only finished the first page, and I am liking this so far. Really love the way this guy wrote it.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Renahzor
    @pureguava76 said:
    " I've seen a lot about Eve Online scams. From what I understand, they aren't encouraged but aren't discouraged either by the community and/or staff. Any Eve gamers confirm that? "

That is quite correct.  There are the typical scams A_Drain refers to, contract scamming etc, although those are really the small fish as far as scams go, a couple billion here and there (this story is from early eve times, before a lot of the inflation.  A 400M ISK scam wouldn't even make a forums post anymore, its worth approx $15-20 USD).

Basically, anything you can do that has not been declared a direct exploit can be used(in-game means only, hacking someones account for example is not allowed or condoned and will earn you a ban and possibly more).  There are Multitudes of contract scammers, and as such, contract scams are less successful than they were.  As the game grows, more and more of the social engineering aspect comes into play.  A great example was the fall of one of the larger alliances early this year, in which they were dismantled nearly overnight by a single person (possibly) mistakenly given too much power over the alliance.  He basically disbanded them after either being flipped or just disgruntled with the alliance.  

One of the hooks of eve is the sandbox, and the 'butterfly effect' trailer demonstrates some of that quite nicely.  Its very much a kill or be killed type MMO, and the friends you make/dont make can mean a world of difference in how you play.
    ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ToxicAntidote

Yeah, i heard of this...some time ago. That's seriously a sweet'n'awesome scam. Well deserved.

Luberik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Luberik

http://eve-history.net/wiki/index.php/Great_Scam

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Absurd
    @Renahzor said:
    " @pureguava76 said:
    " I've seen a lot about Eve Online scams. From what I understand, they aren't encouraged but aren't discouraged either by the community and/or staff. Any Eve gamers confirm that? "
      That is quite correct.  There are the typical scams A_Drain refers to, contract scamming etc, although those are really the small fish as far as scams go, a couple billion here and there (this story is from early eve times, before a lot of the inflation.  A 400M ISK scam wouldn't even make a forums post anymore, its worth approx $15-20 USD).   Basically, anything you can do that has not been declared a direct exploit can be used(in-game means only, hacking someones account for example is not allowed or condoned and will earn you a ban and possibly more).  There are Multitudes of contract scammers, and as such, contract scams are less successful than they were.  As the game grows, more and more of the social engineering aspect comes into play.  A great example was the fall of one of the larger alliances early this year, in which they were dismantled nearly overnight by a single person (possibly) mistakenly given too much power over the alliance.  He basically disbanded them after either being flipped or just disgruntled with the alliance.    One of the hooks of eve is the sandbox, and the 'butterfly effect' trailer demonstrates some of that quite nicely.  Its very much a kill or be killed type MMO, and the friends you make/dont make can mean a world of difference in how you play. "
    I don't think I'd ever want to play that game.
    ma_rc_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ma_rc_01

Great read, I loved the ending.

Avatar image for brainspecialist
    BrainSpecialist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BrainSpecialist

Christ, that was amazing. My MMO-loving friend will dig the SHIT out of this

Carlos1408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Carlos1408

That was one of the most awesome things I've ever read, so entertaining and funny, I love the guys sence of humour. Incredible, how he acheived that.  
    Thanks for the upload Bucketdeath. :D
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42  Edited By ArcBorealis

Just finished reading the whole thing. Holy shit, this guy really had me gripped. Loved that he had the Thoggins guy stuck constantly calling the library phone, yet was sad when he broke the news to HardHead that he scammed them all. 

But an excellent read over all, definetely.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By cloneslayer

awesome and well written. I never want to play EVE but I'm fucking happy that it exsists

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By iam3green

it was a crazy story. it was a great story.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DanielJW

That was a fun read.  Kind of makes me interested in EVE, though it sounds like a mad amount of dedication. Not so sure I'm into that aspect.

Reminds me of the days my friends and I used to run a small scam ring in Habbo Hotel. Nothing as elaborate as this though haha!

BackpackKat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46  Edited By BackpackKat

Just read the whole thing and it was excellent. You never hear about the who, why, and how about scams. I never realized how much planning and luck it takes to pull a scam of that caliber. The ending was amazing. I wish I could have seen the look on that Frostssss face.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AgentofChaos

Ha, reads a lot like Bernie Madoff's biography.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By AgentofChaos

Funny thing is I've done some of this stuff for other clans. Back when I was twelve :\

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#49  Edited By papercut

I must say, great tales come from eve online

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.