Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

In need of tips for an EVE noob

Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Trickster

So yeah I'm not very familiar with EVE, I tried the free trial thing but never really did anything beyond just picking up a quest, complete it and turn it in, then start on a new one.

I've seen pvp videoes and like what I see, but from my understanding it will take a while to get to the point where I can engange in large scale pvp. So what I need tips on is how to play the game properly, like I said, all I did in the trial was pick up a quest, complete it, turn it in, and the start a new quest. And I'm pretty sure thats not the funnest nor best way to play EVE online, so what I need tips on is bassically how to play the game properly from the starting point.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By RVonE

While I don't have any tips for you (I never got into this game) it seems mind blowing to me that this game is still up and running. Awesome.

Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Trickster

Yeah last I checked there was 1 server, and around 4-50000 subscribers, seems like a pretty small userbase, yet they are able to finance it while making graphic overhalls and putting out new content.

packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By packfan104l4
    Trickster said:
    "Yeah last I checked there was 1 server, and around 4-50000 subscribers, seems like a pretty small userbase, yet they are able to finance it while making graphic overhalls and putting out new content."
    Yea, but that 50k online at the same time concept is on one shard.  MUCH different than the WoW concept of placing 5000 players MAX on one shard.

Trickster, there really is no RIGHT way to play the game.  You can go the industry route, buy/sell minerals, build/sell ships/modules.  The mission running that you did is boring until you reach level 3 and up missions.  Then getting together with friends and runnign missions can be fun.

You CAN PvP right off the bat, but expect to lose.  You can steal peoples things to try to get them to attack you in high sec, just make sure you only attack people that are flashing red, or CONCORD will whoop you.

If there are any requests, I'm planning on expanding this page a LOT.  Any requests here will be honored for guides or that kind of thing.
    Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Trickster

okay maybe the "right way to play" is not what i meant, but then are there better ways than others to start off with? certains things that are a must do right off the bat, etc.

Forzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Forzen
    Trickster said:
    "Yeah last I checked there was 1 server, and around 4-50000 subscribers, seems like a pretty small userbase, yet they are able to finance it while making graphic overhalls and putting out new content."
    Eve has around 250'000 subscribers so CCP are raking in a very nice amount of money. Not bad for a company that had to sell a board game to finance the development of their first game =) One of the most effective ways to make ISK early on (i.e when you've just started playing) is to run missions for a corp. These will get you used to combat or mining (since they added mining missions) and make you a nice amount of money. Eventually you'll be able to run level 4's as well which are highly profitable.

You can engage in large scale PvP at a reasonably early age so long as you stick to the "tackling" role. Tackling means you have a warp disruptor or scambler on your ship and you prevent the enemy ship from warping off. If the enemy can freely warp off then no one gets any kills so its a vital role in any gang. Its also a role that isn't too skill intensive so thats probably a good starting point.
    packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By packfan104l4

Another tip:  If you're planning on playing for a while, train the learning skills.  They're boring as hell to train, but if you train correctly, you can easily halve the time it takes to train a skill later on.

Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Trickster
    Forzen said:
    . Eventually you'll be able to run level 4's as well which are highly profitable.

I've seen people talk about level 4 mission. I read that when you got a high enough standing with a quest giver he would give you acces to higher lvl missions, but each questgiver have their own effective standing I think, so does that mean that I should just keep running missions for the same questgiver?
    packfan104l4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By packfan104l4
    Trickster said:
    "Forzen said:
    . Eventually you'll be able to run level 4's as well which are highly profitable.

I've seen people talk about level 4 mission. I read that when you got a high enough standing with a quest giver he would give you acces to higher lvl missions, but each questgiver have their own effective standing I think, so does that mean that I should just keep running missions for the same questgiver?"
    You gain corp standing faster with the higher level mission.  So as soon as level 2's are available, run those from an agent in the same corp.
    Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Trickster

So I had been taking quests from a specific agent a couple of times now, and then all of a sudden he gives me a quest that is the first of a 5 part questline, I get out to where the quest objective is, and I get completely owned ( barely managed to warp away ). Are there no other indicators of how hard a quest is other than how big the reward is?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shivoa

If you're in a decent frigate (the 10 part training missions are a great way to start once you finish the tutorial as they give you an entry frigate on part 3 and then the final part provides a free combat maxed Tech I option - nothing like the Tech II power but at least you'll have some decent high slots for weapons) then you should be able to do just about all of the lvl 1 missions, some might require some tactical moves like drawing off only some of the NPCs and then warping to rapair a few times.

Also very handy for that opening mission selection is the destroyer class.  More high slots than you'll ever use and enough power to at least exploit quite a few of them and a spacious cargo hold (for a cheap frigate) means since I paid a few hundred thousand ISK for my Cormorant I haven't been forced out of any of the lvl 1 combat missions I've seen.  Some have been a bit tricky but shield tanking means I just have to be careful to boost shields at the right time to maintain without taking armour damage.  Training the extra steps for Destoryer skill shouldn't take too much time but notice the cost you pay and equip accordingly (I get a large bonus to hybrid turrets but at a RoF cost that I equipped and trained skills to minimise early on).

Hope this advice helps anyone finding the early missions a bit tricky.  I'm also only just starting out but am loving my time in EVE so far.

Trickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Trickster

I currently have the Gallente Vexor ship, think it's a carrier or destroyer class ship. And as of now i can do any level 1 mission without loosing the shield, so I would imaging that I should be able to move on to level 2 missions, but so far I haven't been able to find any level 2 mission agents despite I have a standing of 9.1 with a level 1 agent...

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shivoa

Individual standings with one agent don't count for much with anyone but that particular agent.  However, I'd expect you to have at least a +1, maybe more with the corporation that the agent works for.  When you go into the station to get an agent mission the corp logo should be in the top right (eg Caldari Navy, Internal Security).  If you get the People and Places tool up you can search for the corporation (search type > corporation and then type their name) and then right click > show info to give their details.

On the far right tab of a corp you'll find the standings and the important figure is under 'their view' where it will give the corp's rating for you as well as the alliance they are part of (eg Caldari Navy is part of the Caldari State alliance so you get to see the figures for both but for getting better and higher level missions the highest number of the two counts*).  You should also get the agents tab that will show you every agent that works for the corp, divided by division (type of mission) and available or not available (depending on your corp standing).  From that view you should be able to quickly navigate to see any good quality agents or even find a lvl 2 agent who will offer you missions.

* this means if you do a lot of missions for the Caldari Navy to get their standing up to 9.9 but decide you'd rather try some Internal Security missions you don't have to start right at the beginning.  By getting a good standing with the Navy you will probably have a decent standing with the whole of the Caldari State alliance and so when you go to see Internal Security a 0.0 rating with their corp doesn't matter as it'll look at your standing with the Caldari State, of which they are also part of.

Phantom_Crash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Phantom_Crash

Iv played it a bit, so Far Iv only mined and did a few missions, I do have a cruiser though. I really have no idear what to do or where to go but I manage.

Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Taklulas

I'm late to post here BUT yeah, I wanna play the game but i pretty much just want to find out how to earn money so I don't have to pay for a sub.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mikemcn
    @Taklulas said:
    " I'm late to post here BUT yeah, I wanna play the game but i pretty much just want to find out how to earn money so I don't have to pay for a sub. "
    Ninja Salvaging, look it up on youtube, everyone will hate you but if you do it right its mad profitable.  Also this thread is hella old. 
    Taklulas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Taklulas
    @Mikemcn said:
    " @Taklulas said:
    " I'm late to post here BUT yeah, I wanna play the game but i pretty much just want to find out how to earn money so I don't have to pay for a sub. "
    Ninja Salvaging, look it up on youtube, everyone will hate you but if you do it right its mad profitable.  Also this thread is hella old.  "
    Haha, yeah I know it's old. All the threads on GB for Eve are all from a year or two ago, but I thought I'd try my luck anyways. Thanks for help tho!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.