Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

Looking to get back into an MMO, is EVE right for me?

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm in the process of downloading the 15-day free trial, but I find they never really get you the feel of the game, so I figured I'd ask the users who play it if they feel the game is right for me.

I used to play MMOs when I was a teen. I played some Planescape, a lot of Ultima Online and a huge chunk of time into Pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies. In fact, some of the stuff that I loved about SWG, its in depth crafting system, its sandbox style gameplay, its customization, and its player based market, is what perked my interest in EVE.

I've been told the game is pretty tough, I'm fine with that. I'm not sure what I'd be interested in doing, but I've never been a huge fighter in MMO, I've always liked exploring and crafting.

I don't have a huge chunk of time to invest in the game, but I can definitely get into the nitty gritty of a game at night from 12 am to 5 am. otherwise I'd be able to hop in for one or two hours a day tops.

I'm also a rather large nerd. What I loved about SWG is that it had a very big roleplayer community. I like keeping the RPG in MMO, and feel most immersed when around others of similar mentality. Are there any roleplayers in EVE. Does its game format even allow it, or does the game format even encourage it (by make the setting already immersive.) Seeing "DrthVder42" or "WandaSkyesIsmyHomeGirl" just kills the immersion for me.

Also, I'm really interested in the sci-fi setting. I was never interested in WoW, simply because I really can't get into swords and sorcery. I like space shits, lasers, alien races and space. I'm more of a Heinlein than Tolkien.

So in short:

• I can invest some hours, but not a huge amount of time.
    • I enjoy Sci-Fi settings.
    • I'm interested in crafting, exploration and customization
    • Roleplaying and immersion.
    • Interested in complex player run markets.
    • A little combat is always a good thing.

From my tastes, does anybody in the community feel that I would actually like EVE?

monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By monstersnsoup

Sounds like a game that you would like. I played for quite a while and only stopped recently. The thing that I would warn you about is the learning curve. It is steeper than anything ever.

The best way to attempt to ease yourself in would be to find a friendly corp. Older players are often really cool about teaching newer guys, and they will hopefully give you some kind of objective or goal, because the game can seem aimless at first.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ArcLyte

play EVE if you enjoy staring at and navigating through extremely complex menus for 90% of gameplay time.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ArcLyte: Sounds like SWG. I was a crafter for most of my time in that game. What I did was stared at a bunch of stats and occasionally ran to spots looking at a map to find the best resources to mine. Was still a lot of fun.

LordElkDeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By LordElkDeer

PVP is fun, if you're willing to put in a couple months of boredom. All you really need is a good pvp corp and a bc with meta fittings to be useful. Joining EVE University is probably a good idea to get on your feet and learn some basics. If you'd like pm me your email and I'll send you a 21 day trial :)

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

If you like playing solo then the game doesn't work very well.   Missions
    get repetitive & difficult.  When I was just playing on the weekends, I'd 
    go after some pirates in maybe one set of missions (bunch of small
    missions & one large mission).  The large mission by itself would take
    3-4 hours to finish.  This is mostly because I had to retreat from being
    killed & then come back in, constantly.  If I died, that could be a long
    & costly effort to recoup my losses.

In short, it would be best if you knew some people that would play 
    the game with you, like a team.  You can't really trust the online 
    players as much OR they're on the other side of the world & getting
    off when you get on & vice versa.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ajamafalous
    @allworkandlowpay said:
    WandaSkyesIsmyHomeGirl
    Ah, so you've seen me in SWG, then.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By kingzetta

How are your spreadsheet skills?

Da_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Da_Madness

I'll actually disagree saying that the learning curve in this huge. I will say that the learning curve in this game CAN be huge.

If you're not into destroying other ships or being a fighter you'll probably start out trading items. (E.G. buying missles in one station for low and transporting then selling items in another system for high and thus making a profit).

There is also a group in Eve called EVE UNIVERSITY who you can join up with and they'll show you pretty  much everything.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Renahzor
    @allworkandlowpay:  

I've played EVE off and on for close to 5 years now on several characters.  I think EVE has some of the things you enjoy about MMOs:  Robust crafting system, Skills train in real time so time investment isn't always mandatory, Extremely complex markets.   There are some roleplaying corps (EVE guilds) although this isn't the norm, finding the right group will go a long way toward enjoyment of that aspect of the game.   

There's also some things you should know before getting deep into the game.  The crafting system is incredibly deep, and the way materials are gathered makes its a virtual impossibility to build everything yourself.  There are large corporations dedicated to making specific classes of ships, or to gathering materials and producing *components* for Tech 2 production which requires materials only found in 0.0 space (and already claimed).  There are corps devoted to simply researching blueprints and turning them into tech 2 copies.  Opportunity cost, production efficiency skills, and the number of people gathering resources makes it a virtual certainty that gathering basic materials and using them for your own production is actually somehow a net loss over just selling the materials.  Its all too complex for me to explain here, or even in one sitting, it takes some time in the game to realize just how deep that rabbit hole goes.   

Another thing to note is that you will *never* catch up in skillpoints to an older character.  This is something you need to just put out of your mind and focus on the things you want to do.  Its always a possibility to buy higher SP characters at some point down the road when you can see the benefit for it(and have a crap ton of ISK), character transfers are legal through the EVE forums.   Just remember that even though someone may have more SP than you, that doesn't mean you can't beat them at whatever it is you're doing.  

You absolutely must be able to set your own goals and strive for those.  The game has virtually no goals of its own, and while there are storyline type missions its not something to keep you busy for long stretches.  Setting a goal and attaining it is the satisfaction you get from EVE.  My goal now is to get a specific ship I've always had my eye on, I have the skills for it now, just need the ISK.  A simple goal for a crafter to attain would be to start manufacturing a certain type of ammo, module, or ship.  A more complex goal would be to have enough resources to corner a market and leverage that into higher profits for the manufacturing you did.  Perhaps later on owning a corp with a High security player owned moon station for more efficient/faster researching for more production.  There's lots and lots to do, but there's no way to achieve complex goals quickly. 

Finally, EVE is a Brutal MMO.  People will kill you in "safe" high security space to steal your stuff if it makes them a profit.  There's entire subcultures and corps devoted to these activities and they are very efficient at doing it.  Some kill miners for sport and fun, and hold competitions to do so.  Being in high security does not mean you're safe, and that's something you have to remember especially on an industry type career in EVE, because you WILL die, you just have to make sure your margins cover it.   ;) 

Hit me up in-game on Teya Ihara if you want to chat a bit.  The chat channel GIANT BOMB also has a few of us around from time to time.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It seems like a game you might like but it will probably mainly hang on how much you enjoy dealing with figures, economics and spreadsheets... In space.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Buscemi

I am so intrigued by EVE, I feel it could be everything I want in an MMO, alas, most of my friends are still World of Warcraft-ing. I've playedthe trial on and off every now and then, but I realize that I probably won't get anywhere on my own.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jetsetwillie

i heard that EVE was entertaining in the same way excel is. but i could be wrong

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Do you enjoy Excel?

Sacerdos87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Sacerdos87

Watch death unfold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.