Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

My name is Qualon Crendraven and this is the end of my story.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By AlexW00d

Quitter

As the title kind of hints at, I didn't get in to the game like I was hoping I would. It seemed a great game, and some of the core gameplay elements seemed awesome, but it's still an mmo, and you still have to do a thousand shitty fetch quests.

So I bought this game last Monday, and some how over the next three days I ended up putting in 12 and a half hours to it, and you'd be surprised just how little I achieved. Well, if you know much about the game I imagine you wouldn't be expected at all; that or I was just shit at the game. But over those 12 and half hours I took notes, and have enough to write another blog, and then write about how I wanted this game to be great.

Ships

Posing with my ship.
    Posing with my ship.

So for a couple of those hours I completed me some tutorial quests set for one Loict Mensier. He had me running around the nearest systems collecting things and occasionally mining and shooting dudes. I thought after these few quests the game would open up and I'd be able to do cool stuff, and tbf I probably could have, but goddamn did I know how. I was quite proud as I was able to make about a million ISK by the end, which is chump change really, but go me. I also gained about 5 or 6 new ships, one or two I couldn't even use, and one like the one I was given at the beginning of the game, but this still seemed pretty cool.After finishing the tutorial quests set I decided instead of trying some of the others I would abandon my home world and explore, and so I did, a little bit. I didn't get particularly far tbh, 4 or 5 jumps away, and found a new quest set that I thought would be 'fun' to complete. A guy had me training for a space ship air show type event, he even gave me a shuttle to do so in, first he had me warping through a couple of gates and then flying between beacons, and that was it. Next I was to destroy some other ships, which was where I remembered I didn't enjoy the combat in this game at all, and my ship was destroyed before too long. This was a good excuse to buy myself a new ship, that was a lot better than the one I was currently piloting. With this ship and some better blasters I was able to eradicate the enemy thread from the arena no problem, but then I called it an end to that guy's quest set and found another one. This new one had me helping a 'princess' commit some sort of fraud to gain money off of Daddy or some such thing. A couple of courier quests and one horrible combat quest later I had finished, and thank god, that combat quest was nothing but target this ship, hit blaster and sit there for literally 3 minutes. That was boring as all hell.

Mining is pretty at least.

After this I decided to really take things in to my own hands, so I went out mining. I sat for 45 minutes mining asteroids and then transporting the ore back to my hub, turning in to minerals and then realising I had no idea what do with such minerals. I ended up with way too much of like 2 minerals and realised I had wasted 45 minutes of time. The mining part was fine, but there was literally no sense of satisfaction or that I'd done anything of any purpose afterwards, unfortunately.

Tits

I am pretty sure that is about it. At least, it is where my notes stop, and where my memory stops too. It's a shame I couldn't get in to this game, as as I have mentioned before, this game seems really, really cool, but I know I sound like a fool saying so, this game is too much of an mmo for me to really enjoy. Maybe if this game was literally just a spreadsheet simulator I would be ok, as sad as it sounds, as that is where the cools bits are, I think. The community for this game seemed pretty friendly, but then I think my chat channel was always set to Rookie, so I guess the only people in there are going to be helpful people and newbies like myself, so it's kind of expected.

I struggle for more to write now so it's probably a sign to stop and call it a day. So that is what I shall do. Thank you for reading this. See you when I decide I have found something interesting to write about!

Alex.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By AlexW00d

Quitter

As the title kind of hints at, I didn't get in to the game like I was hoping I would. It seemed a great game, and some of the core gameplay elements seemed awesome, but it's still an mmo, and you still have to do a thousand shitty fetch quests.

So I bought this game last Monday, and some how over the next three days I ended up putting in 12 and a half hours to it, and you'd be surprised just how little I achieved. Well, if you know much about the game I imagine you wouldn't be expected at all; that or I was just shit at the game. But over those 12 and half hours I took notes, and have enough to write another blog, and then write about how I wanted this game to be great.

Ships

Posing with my ship.
    Posing with my ship.

So for a couple of those hours I completed me some tutorial quests set for one Loict Mensier. He had me running around the nearest systems collecting things and occasionally mining and shooting dudes. I thought after these few quests the game would open up and I'd be able to do cool stuff, and tbf I probably could have, but goddamn did I know how. I was quite proud as I was able to make about a million ISK by the end, which is chump change really, but go me. I also gained about 5 or 6 new ships, one or two I couldn't even use, and one like the one I was given at the beginning of the game, but this still seemed pretty cool.After finishing the tutorial quests set I decided instead of trying some of the others I would abandon my home world and explore, and so I did, a little bit. I didn't get particularly far tbh, 4 or 5 jumps away, and found a new quest set that I thought would be 'fun' to complete. A guy had me training for a space ship air show type event, he even gave me a shuttle to do so in, first he had me warping through a couple of gates and then flying between beacons, and that was it. Next I was to destroy some other ships, which was where I remembered I didn't enjoy the combat in this game at all, and my ship was destroyed before too long. This was a good excuse to buy myself a new ship, that was a lot better than the one I was currently piloting. With this ship and some better blasters I was able to eradicate the enemy thread from the arena no problem, but then I called it an end to that guy's quest set and found another one. This new one had me helping a 'princess' commit some sort of fraud to gain money off of Daddy or some such thing. A couple of courier quests and one horrible combat quest later I had finished, and thank god, that combat quest was nothing but target this ship, hit blaster and sit there for literally 3 minutes. That was boring as all hell.

After this I decided to really take things in to my own hands, so I went out mining. I sat for 45 minutes mining asteroids and then transporting the ore back to my hub, turning in to minerals and then realising I had no idea what do with such minerals. I ended up with way too much of like 2 minerals and realised I had wasted 45 minutes of time. The mining part was fine, but there was literally no sense of satisfaction or that I'd done anything of any purpose afterwards, unfortunately.

Tits

I am pretty sure that is about it. At least, it is where my notes stop, and where my memory stops too. It's a shame I couldn't get in to this game, as as I have mentioned before, this game seems really, really cool, but I know I sound like a fool saying so, this game is too much of an mmo for me to really enjoy. Maybe if this game was literally just a spreadsheet simulator I would be ok, as sad as it sounds, as that is where the cools bits are, I think. The community for this game seemed pretty friendly, but then I think my chat channel was always set to Rookie, so I guess the only people in there are going to be helpful people and newbies like myself, so it's kind of expected.

I struggle for more to write now so it's probably a sign to stop and call it a day. So that is what I shall do. Thank you for reading this. See you when I decide I have found something interesting to write about!

Alex.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By BitterAlmond

I get the exact same feeling, except I enjoy the slow pacing. There's a reason this game has an "autopilot" feature and a built-in browser: it's more of a simulation than a true "game."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.