Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

New to EVE or thinking of trying it?

• 91 results
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Chavtheworld: Yep, that's 2 sub fees sadly. They do run a promotion every now and then called "Power of 2" where you can open up a second account (assuming your first one is currently active) and get 180 days of playtime for like $50-60 or something, I forget.

@dvand987: I don't think I opened up a second account until probably a year after I started playing or something. I personally didn't even feel like I needed it. It was just out of boredom really lol. My main is training for more of a leadership role (which is ironic considering that all I do is solo lol) and I just wanted my second character to be more of a general combat pilot just for the hell of it. I'm gonna open up a third character specifically for Industry and trading and all that. Honestly, I don't think you need a second account. It just depends on what your plans are really. Like, for example, if you wanted to try a different career path, but you want to keep training for your current one, it's most likely in your best interest to open an account just to save time.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#52  Edited By Renahzor

@dvand987: I got my second account at about 4 months, I needed an cyno/scouting alt for pvp in nullsec, though I rarely use it now aside from collecting Research Points. I'll get a third when I need a capital pilot, IE: if I ever move back to nullsec.

Many people pay for 2+ accounts with just PLEX, I'm not that good, so I pay for one and keep the other active with plex.

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Xercodo

@dvand987 If you wanna try for the PLEX thing try an active wormhole corp. Working in wormholes can be very lucrative, even moreso when you don't have to live in the system and just find class 1s and 2s in high sec, run them for a day and them come back home.

Class 1s and 2s are fairly easy to get into as well. If the corp has logi then you'll only need a buffer fit and wont need to worry about self tanking. If they don't, then self tanking the C1s and 2s isnt too hard either but you'll want a battlecrusier or a T2 cruiser at the least. Sicne you're looking at Amarr this should work perfectly for you as the sleepers have omni tanks so there is no downside to using lasers damage type wise, and lasers don't need ammo (unless you're using T2 and faction crystals and break them often) which means you can sustain sitting in a WH fro a while and not even need ammo :P

---

As for the rest of the convo I've actually been playing for 3 and 1/2 years and still only have one account :P

And for the rest of you I have started a blog...

Edit for dvand: Here is a glimpse of some of the graphic updates being done to the Amarr on the test server :P

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/Xenoninja42/20120503002221.png

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/Xenoninja42/20120503015424.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rpOfEGFPU8

munnyman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#54  Edited By munnyman5

@Xercodo: I was kinda following the rest of the thread, but that last post would probably make just as much sense to me if it were spoken in Cantonese.

I just did the first mission. So far, space is cool. Hopefully it stays cool, and/or gets cooler.

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Xercodo

Okay I'll break it down a bit for ya

Xercodo said:

@dvand987 If you wanna try for the PLEX thing try an active wormhole corp. Working in wormholes can be very lucrative, even moreso when you don't have to live in the system and just find class 1s and 2s in high sec, run them for a day and them come back home.

Class 1s and 2s are fairly easy to get into as well. If the corp has logi then you'll only need a buffer fit and wont need to worry about self tanking. If they don't, then self tanking the C1s and 2s isnt too hard either but you'll want a battlecrusier or a T2 cruiser at the least. Sicne you're looking at Amarr this should work perfectly for you as the sleepers have omni tanks so there is no downside to using lasers damage type wise, and lasers don't need ammo (unless you're using T2 and faction crystals and break them often) which means you can sustain sitting in a WH fro a while and not even need ammo :P

---

As for the rest of the convo I've actually been playing for 3 and 1/2 years and still only have one account :P

And for the rest of you I have started a blog...

Edit for dvand: Here is a glimpse of some of the graphic updates being done to the Amarr on the test server :P

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/Xenoninja42/20120503002221.png

http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l338/Xenoninja42/20120503015424.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rpOfEGFPU8

-PLEX: Short for Pilot License Extension, it's an in-game item that's worth 30 days of game time. On one hand allows players to play the game for "free" and for other players to "buy" ISK for real money

-Wormholes: Wormholes act as temporary stargates that transport you to other solar systems. Usually these lead to "unknown" systems that aren't on the map. These are usually referred to as W-space.

-Class system: W-space is one of 6 classes, simply 1-6, 1 being easiest to live in and 6 the hardest, usually requiring capital ships.

-Sleepers: NPCs that live in W-space. The sleepers are the main form of PVE in W-space and their loot and salvage are used to build special Tech 3 ships.

-T2: Tech 2; Tech 1, 2 and 3 are the main "levels" of horizontal progression in EVE (with vertical progression being into bigger ships). T2 ships are more specialized than their T1 counterparts and usually offer better tanking, damage or a combo of both. But their high skill needs and price tags prevent them form being over used and over powered so much. A good team of T1 ships can still kill an advanced T2 ship.

-Logi: short for Logistics, essentially the "healer" class of ships

-Buffer or buffer tanking: Fitting as much high HP and resistance modules as you can. Usually to last as long as you can in PVP or to provide enough time for the logi pilots to get to you.

-Self tanking: Fitting your ship to tank on its own using armor repairers, shield boosters, or by fitting to get the shield's own recharge rate to repair incoming damage. These types can be broken into active tank and passive tank. Active uses capacitor-using modules and passive tanking relies on the shield recharge.

-Omni tank: Fitting a ship to tank against all 4 kinds of damage type fairly evenly. This is independent of buffer or self tanking. Most people omni tank in PVP as they usually don't know the incoming damage type....or they just don't care.

-WH: short for wormhole

-"T2 and faction crystals": All combat lasers (except for the civilian laser on rookie ships) require a frequency crystal to fire. The frequency crystals you use change how much damage and range your lasers have. Normally you can carry around a set of different range crystals and use them forever, but faction issue crystals (Imperial Navy Gamma M) will eventually break as they are used. T2 crystals (and T2 ammo in general) specializes in either high damage or high range (while still doing decent damage at that range). T2 laser crystals will also eventually break.

---

So there ya go :P

Also don't forget to join my or the "GiantBomb" channel in-game to ask some questions or to just hang out. You can join channels via the channel window which is opened via the "speech bubble" button at the top right of every chat window. My channel's name is "Xercosis".

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#56  Edited By benspyda

I don't think I have the patience for a game like this. Most games lose me after about 20 hours unless it's Skyrim. I already have another hobby I am obsessed with that takes a bunch of my time. I am still intrigued by it for sure.

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Xercodo

@benspyda: Ya it's great for casuals cause of the skill system (don't have to play 24/7 to progress) but without learning mechanics and the ins and outs of ship fitting you still won't get anywhere and learning that stuff would be your time sink. You can try reading the big blog post I did recently which pretty much lays down all the technicalities of EVE and see if it might work for you at some point.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By tds418

This game has always intrigued me and I started a trial account yesterday, it seems really cool so far (though a bit daunting). Wish I had seen this thread first so I could have gotten the extended trial. I'll make sure to join the GiantBomb channel next I'm on. Right now I'm just doing the tutorial/career agent missions...thinking of specializing in mining and exploration (is that even something that can be specialized in? lol)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By BabyChooChoo

For future reference, if anyone wants an extended trial, feel free to post here and ask. There's quite a few people who play here and some of us have multiple accounts and since you get 10 trials per account per month to hand out, there's not going to be a shortage anytime soon unless everyone and their mother asks for one lol.

@tds418: lol yeah, you can specialize in anything honestly. You can make good money doing both. I would personally mine in a group and possibly take along one or 2 people as security. Personally I found solo mining to be quite boring and with so many sour vets being so butthurt about high sec mining, if you're flying a Hulk or something similar then you may find yourself to be a prime target for suicide gankers. I haven't touched mining in low/null sec at all so don't take what I say as gospel, but you just might wanna be extra careful (i.e. take along more security or more people in general) if you decide to mine there.

I haven't touched exploration at all outside of the tutorial, but I have an acquaintance who makes stupid crazy money exploring in low sec...or null sec...or wormhole space...I forget where he goes lol, but he makes great money doing it.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By tds418

Cool, thanks for the advice! I figured once I got past the starter missions and stuff I would look for a corp to help give some direction/security to the mining.

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Xercodo

@tds418: You can still do the extended trial. You'll just have to start over the small starter bits. Int he grand scheme of things it isn't going to be a whole lot of redoing stuff in exchange for 7 extra days :P

Just send one of us an email address to use.

---

As for the mining I'd stay away from it for now. Hulkageddon is currently going on and that means hardly any mining ships are safe, even in high sec. But to specialize in both mining an exploration there actually IS a niche for that; scanning grav sites to mine. MUCH less likely that a guy from hulkageddon is gonna pop you on a grav site since they have to scan you down and usually guys won't go through those kinda lengths to find miner to gank. Exploration on its own though is pretty cool provided you have a decent idea of what you're doing. Personally, I'm considering doing more exploration in something like a BC and poke around in low and null sec, maybe live in a C1 or C2 WH for a day and then come back home :P. The stuff you find from exploration is either stuff that's used in T2 production or is the special faction and deadspace modules ([Latin Name] X,A,B,C-Type, Gistum A-Type 10MN Afterburner) and can be very valuable.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MikkaQ

I think my main problem with EVE, and the reason I haven't played in months is just that.. I really don't know what to do. Like yeah I could run missions and mine, but that's just gonna get me small amounts of money which, since I bought and sold a PLEX, is kinda no object for a new account like mine. I started last August, played for two months then stopped.

Basically other than skill training, which involves no effort from me, I have no clue what to strive for in EVE. With like 300 million ISK, I can afford anything I'm able to use at this point, no problem. I have multiple fighter frigates, a Osprey cruiser for mining, a Caracal cruiser for fighting and even a Rokh battleship for harder missions (I may be Gallente, but I love Caldari ships for some reason). Some basic transport ships too. I suppose I could work towards getting an Orca or something cool like that, but then what? More mining? I guess I need an "ideology" or something to work towards in EVE.

I had a corp I was in for a while, and they were friendly enough, but they seemed like more of a nuisance than not. They were constantly having wars declared on them and I was very often unable to leave space stations for fear of getting ganked, that's not fun. I also didn't really feel like I was contributing much to the group since I have no idea what I'm doing in EVE anyway. There's just no real progression, I guess.

Any experienced EVE duders come across this problem? This "Wall"? How did you get past it?

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By gike987

I used to play the game several years ago and I made a new account some month ago. I have mostly been selling stuff in dodixie (and barely even that) I don't have the time to get serious with PvP or mining or anything else that requires heavy time investment, so I don't really now why I'm playing. I will join the giant bomb channel if there are still some active people on it, just don't expect me to do much.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Renahzor: I completely forgot about that, I will check that out tomorrow!

I have been playing Eve on and off for a couple of years, I think I'm sitting on about 2.5 million skill points or something. I have my ship kitted out for scanning but I'm still working towards covert ops atm, just doing some level 1 mission runs to keep the money coming in. I need a decent corp really, preferably a wormhole corp as that's the area I'd be interested in moving into.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BabyChooChoo

We reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally need a GB corp now...

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#66  Edited By Pazy

If a GB corp starts id be interested in one of those buddy passes I heard about, I think its 21 day trials? EVE sounds amazing but I would really have to play for that long, in an awesome corp!, to find out if its for me. I tried a 14 day trial before but I didnt get a corp and it was lonely and pointless.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MikkaQ

@BabyChooChoo said:

We reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally need a GB corp now...

I'm willing to pull the trigger on at least another 90-day sub if we can get a fun little corp of our own going. As long as it's y'know, active and interesting. If you're serious, then we should find out how many are willing to be involved. It'd be nice to have some active, experienced EVE players to help ease people in.

I don't know how much capital is involved with starting a corporation, but I'm willing to donate whatever resources I can. Not doing a whole lot else with them anyway.

I'm putting forward Giantbomb Heavy Industries as a corp name idea.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By tds418

Thanks for all the advice

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Renahzor

@Pazy: @MikkaQ:

We've tried the GB corp thing several times. generalized corps really dont work well in EVE, and vets are in their bigger corps typically not willing to move on. Until you reach a critical mass of players with a similar interest, a chat channel is the only reason to use a corp, and you can do that without one.

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Xercodo

@Pazy: @MikkaQ: @Renahzor: Ya the great thing about the independent chat channels is channels travel with you no matter what corp you're in or what activity you do. :P

kingcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kingcom

@Sweep: While I dont want to say it as a fact but usually wormhole corps (atleast the decent ones) are looking for players with atleas 6 million + skill points, it ensures you know what your doing and have atleast 1 role you can fulfill competently. Not saying you wont find one but it might be tough

@tds418: You would actually be surprised how useful new players can be. Sure there are a lot of roles you cant fill in but there are some that take less than a day to be able to perform. In PvP you can fill the role of the tackler (essentially you stop your opponent from being able to run away in the fight which lets your teammates fit their ship for more damage). If you want to get into mining you can get an industrial ship and help haul for someone who has trained into mining far longer than you have. This allows the miner to never need to leave an asteroid belt as you can keep moving the ore around for them. Best case scenario is to try and have a look for what you might be interested in. Most have a role you can slip into to help out other players.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Leptok

I have an account from 05, I think I was a miner back then. But I can't remember if that's the right account or if I had started a trial with abother group in another forum. But man I want to jump back in.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Leptok

I don't know If we can start a corp, but I wonder if there's one that would take us in.

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Xercodo
    Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Renahzor

@Leptok: @kingcom: @tds418: @Sweep: @BabyChooChoo:

For what it's worth, I run a one man corp currently called The Management. (complete with dot, since an old friend quit the game with our original corp and we cant get it back >:| ) that we were going to use to house noobs for a GB community event. Any of you are welcome to join, mainly it was designed to cater to new players, we have a base of operations setup in Juunigaishi, complete with a load of a variety of T1 frigates and modules for new players to have.

Our initial plan was to run a 2 week forum recruiting drive to get people in with the free trial and run some fun events. Unfortunately RL for me is currently very hectic and busy, and I'm one of few EVE vets without a current corp attachment that could really run the event. I can generally answer any questions you might have and help you plan for anything you might want to do, I just don't have the organizational time I thought I would have.

Contact teya ihara in-game if you're interested.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Renahzor: Sounds awesome, will give you a shout.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77  Edited By Pazy

@Renahzor said:

For what it's worth, I run a one man corp currently called The Management. (complete with dot, since an old friend quit the game with our original corp and we cant get it back >:| ) that we were going to use to house noobs for a GB community event. Any of you are welcome to join, mainly it was designed to cater to new players, we have a base of operations setup in Juunigaishi, complete with a load of a variety of T1 frigates and modules for new players to have.

Our initial plan was to run a 2 week forum recruiting drive to get people in with the free trial and run some fun events. Unfortunately RL for me is currently very hectic and busy, and I'm one of few EVE vets without a current corp attachment that could really run the event. I can generally answer any questions you might have and help you plan for anything you might want to do, I just don't have the organizational time I thought I would have.

The recuiting drive seems like a good idea. EVE is a very intruiging game but normally the start would be slow and dull, if you could manufacture an enviroment to better showcase the full potential of EVE such as bigger ships, corporation events (like group mining or...whatever EVE players do).

I have tried to EVE trials before but all I did was figure out basically how to accept missions but they just said "Kill X" or "Mine Y" or something, but the stories you hear about group based events are awesome. I would love to see this "Hulkageddon" thing or the...Goonsquad is it? They are suicide bombing traders to mess up the economy, if you could somehow get people in a trial and set up to see that stuff it would be amazing.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By tds418

I'll try and contact you next time I'm in-game.

To anyone: any tips for using probes? I spent like a half hour last night trying to find a gravimetric anomaly for an agent mission I'm doing and I had no luck. Is there an easy way to do this or is it really just trial and error? General strategies would be appreciated :)

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Renahzor

@tds418: Grav sites can be stupid hard to pinpoint. I use 4 probes to narrow my search, then usually 6 so lock it down. Getting your racial probing frigate with the bonus, and maybe some rigs to help you out can help get it locked in.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Pazy said:

@Renahzor said:

The recuiting drive seems like a good idea. EVE is a very intruiging game but normally the start would be slow and dull, if you could manufacture an enviroment to better showcase the full potential of EVE such as bigger ships, corporation events (like group mining or...whatever EVE players do).

I have tried to EVE trials before but all I did was figure out basically how to accept missions but they just said "Kill X" or "Mine Y" or something, but the stories you hear about group based events are awesome. I would love to see this "Hulkageddon" thing or the...Goonsquad is it? They are suicide bombing traders to mess up the economy, if you could somehow get people in a trial and set up to see that stuff it would be amazing.

The thing is, it takes a long time before you know enough to effectively take part in stuff like that. Think about how long it would take for you to start Raiding in WoW or competing at a decent level in something like Dota or LoL - even something like CoD would require you to invest a fair amount of time before you got a decent mental map of each level and an understanding of all the weapons. EVE is no different in terms of that level of experience, and in many ways it's a lot tougher to crack because there is such a large spectrum of activities in which you can take part.

I'm not trying to scare off new players, and I think the tutorial stuff at the beginning of the game has improved dramatically to the point where you can actually start playing without requiring online guides and other players helping you out, but there's still a pretty severe time investment required before you are going to be involved in any of the crazy stuff you hear about in the news. The thing is, once you get there, it's like nothing else you have ever played.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Who here is capable of running incursions? I'm tired of mission-running and wanna shake things up a bit.

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Xercodo

@Sweep said:

The thing is, it takes a long time before you know enough to effectively take part in stuff like that. Think about how long it would take for you to start Raiding in WoW or competing at a decent level in something like Dota or LoL - even something like CoD would require you to invest a fair amount of time before you got a decent mental map of each level and an understanding of all the weapons. EVE is no different in terms of that level of experience, and in many ways it's a lot tougher to crack because there is such a large spectrum of activities in which you can take part.

I'm not trying to scare off new players, and I think the tutorial stuff at the beginning of the game has improved dramatically to the point where you can actually start playing without requiring online guides and other players helping you out, but there's still a pretty severe time investment required before you are going to be involved in any of the crazy stuff you hear about in the news. The thing is, once you get there, it's like nothing else you have ever played.

Yes exactly! This sorta stuff is why all of the SP and ISK in the game won't get you anywhere without any actual skill. Many people regard the long skill training times as a burden, but use that time to learn everything you can so that by the time you can use your new ship you know how to do it right.

@BabyChooChoo: I can. I used to run VGs and have a maxed out scimitar (logi 5 and shield emissions 5). I haven't run them since the changes in Escalation though so I'm probably not as helpful as I would be normally. But I can still give some pointers about fitting ships and such (as you can imagine this means mostly shield fits).

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Xercodo

@tds418: Look at the scanning guide on CCP's YouTube channel. Should clear things up for ya. Four probes is the minimum for scanning anything down. Hold the Shift key to move all probes and use the alt key to scale probes around their center.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By tds418

Thanks, that video helped a lot. I'll give it another go this evening and see if I have better luck.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By BabyChooChoo

GET HYPE MOTHAFUCKAS!!! NEW EXPANSION DROPS IN LESS THAN 12 HOURS!!! FUCK YEAH CAPSLOCK!!!

lol, seriously though, who else is dying with anticipation right now?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Dat bass.

Avatar image for xcobracommander
    xCobraCommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#87  Edited By xCobraCommander

@Sweep said:

@Pazy said:

The thing is, it takes a long time before you know enough to effectively take part in stuff like that.

One of the biggest misconceptions of EVE is that you need to spend a ton of time to be effective. The most successful alliances in EVE are built out of brand new players. New players should focus on strength in numbers and easy to fly ships like rifters. You can easily hit well above your weight class through sheer numbers. A couple of rifters can band together and take down cruisers and battlecruisers. A rifter takes hours at most to train to fly and is widely considered to be one of the best PVP ships in the game. Dedicating a couple of million isk to a full hangar of rifters could provide you with plenty of PVP action.

k4el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By k4el

@Xercodo: Who do you fly for?

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Xercodo

@k4el: How do you mean? Of the factions in the game or one of the player alliances? For the most part I just fly for me and my friends :P

I fly a lot of Minmatar ships even though I'm Amarr-Khanid xD

k4el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By k4el

@xCobraCommander said:

@Sweep said:

@Pazy said:

The thing is, it takes a long time before you know enough to effectively take part in stuff like that.

One of the biggest misconceptions of EVE is that you need to spend a ton of time to be effective. The most successful alliances in EVE are built out of brand new players. New players should focus on strength in numbers and easy to fly ships like rifters. You can easily hit well above your weight class through sheer numbers. A couple of rifters can band together and take down cruisers and battlecruisers. A rifter takes hours at most to train to fly and is widely considered to be one of the best PVP ships in the game. Dedicating a couple of million isk to a full hangar of rifters could provide you with plenty of PVP action.

I'll back this up. In your first week you could be the reason a billion ISK+ ship dies. Veteran players will throw isk at a nooby hero tackle.

Xercodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Xercodo

Bump and reboot? :D

I still don't mind helping people, just gotta make sure to ask questions!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.