Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

Sean Smith AKA "Vile Rat" Killed in Benghazi

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Renahzor

A touching Article by Goonswarm's The_Mittani: http://themittani.com/news/rip-vile-rat

Though I didn't know the man, I have heard of him though various in-game channels. My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of all those killed in Libya. EVE is an interesting game, everyone has friends and enemies, wars and alliances. But in the end everyone comes together to help support each other when shit gets real. RiP Vile Rat.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Never heard of him, but I'm not really into EVE. But at least he wasn't killed over some silly quarrel related to the game.

Rest In Peace.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Village_Guy said:

Never heard of him, but I'm not really into EVE. But at least he wasn't killed over some silly quarrel related to the game.

Rest In Peace.

Yeah, instead he got in a silly quarrel of a different sort.
    scalpel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By scalpel

@Ghostiet: There's nothing silly about angry Islamists.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I don't know Sean, but RIP and my condolences to his loved ones.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Karkarov

There is nothing silly about what happened to him or the other people involved in the incident. They were regular people just doing their jobs and they were killed by a bunch of raving lunatic whack job islamists for no reason other than being from the US. Best wishes to his family and friends, no one involved here deserved this and we can only hope these incidents will lead to changes that prevent it from ever happening again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, I saw a 14 minute clip of the "movie" which supposedly set all these maniacs off in a tizzy. What a bloody waste, on both ends.

First of all the movie is stupid garbage abd secondly how can you get so murderously angry over such a percieved slight. If your God is so almighty, you'd expect him to handle somebody talking some shit about him. Especially when it's so shittily done you'd have to be half-tarded to take it seriously.

A damn shame.

Very touching written piece though. RIP

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Peanut

Wow. That was a pretty powerful piece of writing and it's a shame we're still living in a world where shit like this can happen. It makes me ill to the very core of my being to know there are people out there with such a disregard for human life. It's so hard to not just say that I wish they all die and rot in hell, but those people are so fucked up I don't think they even realize what they're doing most of the time.

It sounds like he was a great guy and a credit to EVE and I hope he rests peacefully.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ghostiet
    @scalpel said:

Conflicts are generally silly - as in, pathetic. This one especially. My comment was aimed at the "oh, at least he was murdered without a reason and not because of a video game" sentiment.
    Silvergun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silvergun

Man, I played with Vile Rat when I was in Goonfleet. I didn't know him too well, but he was a good guy who really did some amazing things for GSA and EVE in general.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MarkWahlberg

As truly horrible as this is, that article is also simply fascinating in it's own right. A lot of EVE stories are kind of crazy, but you never get much of an idea of who is behind all of it. Vile Rat sounds like he was a very cool dude, and for a State Department employee be one of the most influential players in EVE - EVE, for fucks sake - just seems really interesting. Fucking shame we had to find out about him like this.

alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By alekso

Many may think of Eve as just a mmo like any others but since politics plays a huge role ingame, Sean's skills as a diplomat in real life transferred straight into eve and has made him one of the most important players to Eve ever. He is behind lots and lots of different deals ect, and was and overall awesome dude that will be missed by the eve community.

We Eve players may be looked at as assholes and "bad" games but today we really see that we are a big family and with the news of a loss of a family members spreading out in New Eden, you really see how many people Sean touched in some way.

As we speak lots and lots of player owned structures(POS's) and outposts are being renamed in the memory of Sean.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@scalpel said:

Yes, it's very disrespectful to say an attack on innocent people was a 'silly quarrel'. Especially when multiple people died, and more people hurt. The extremist groups all around the middle east, and some in Europe are a big issue, I don't think apathy and denial will fix it at all.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ghostiet
    @BestUsernameEver said:

@scalpel said:

Yes, it's very disrespectful to say an attack on innocent people was a 'silly quarrel'. Especially when multiple people died, and more people hurt. The extremist groups all around the middle east, and some in Europe are a big issue, I don't think apathy and denial will fix it at all.

As I said, I was mocking Village_Guy's comment. I thought the sarcasm and intent was obvious.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By mikemcn

I'm amazed that guy could commit all that time to Eve, a very time demanding game, and get a top job at an embassy in such a key part of the world today. If his ability to multitask is any indication of skill, I'm sure he would gave gone even farther up the ranks given the chance. Such a shame. He had a wife and children too.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Grimluck343

Such a waste. RIP.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By StarvingGamer

:'(

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By ajamafalous

That was a powerfully-written piece, and for Vile Rat to have died over such a ridiculous thing that he wasn't even involved in nor responsible for makes me sick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.