The Official Giantbomb Eve Online Thread: ON THE MOON!!

• 0 results
#1 Edited by Sweep (8948 posts) -

Eve Online is insane and scary

And so are the people who play it.

But we still need a place to relax and discuss our hopes, dreams, and acts of horrific piracy. Same difference? I haven't been playing Eve Online very long, only a couple of weeks in-fact, but I still think there should be at least one thread on Giantbomb where Eve Online players can congregate. 
 "That's no moon..."
I'm currently sitting on my first million skillpoints with a Caracal fit with 4 Heavy Launchers and a Salvager, just scooting around doing some missions for the Caladari Navy. If you had asked me a week ago what any of those words meant I would have been completely baffled, but it's amazing how fast you pick stuff up. 

I'm still rockin' this noob corp, mainly because they are patient enough to put up with my idiot questions, but I want to go into covert ops - appreciated that will probably take me the best part of a year but i'm GOING TO MAKE THIS SHIT WORK

My housemate just started playing as well, he spends all his time exploring wormholes, a section of the game I didn't even know existed. (In-your-endo?)

Anyways, feel free to share and ask questions. 

EDIT: My character name is SWEEP XXII, look me up ingame if you need someone to fire missiles at stuff.
#2 Posted by Crash_Happy (737 posts) -

I quite enjoyed CovOps. Takes a while to get those skills but the ships used to be pretty sweet. Haven't played in a while so no idea now.

#3 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

I just started a 2-week trial yesterday. I'm going through all of the tutorials
right now.  Pretty detailed game. I just completed the basic combat tutorial,
though it took all day.  I was about to sign off but found myself on Mission
10 which gave me 4 hours/45 minutes to complete but said that if I didn't
complete it by then, I wouldn't get my 170,000 isk.  So I groaned & was
tired & decided to work at it anyway.

Man at some point I got lost & found myself wondering around Eskura 
thinking: "Where the fuck is this pirate? Do I have to fly to every damn 
planet in this system to hunt him down?  No hints???!!"  After searching
around, I got online to find out what I needed to do. What was really
cool is Eve having its own web browser. Just loaded it up, did a google
search & there was someone explaining what they did which I had done
wrong.

I really wanted to cancel the mission & go to bed, but it stated that if
I quit the mission I wouldn't be able to contact the Agent again & if I
didn't finish it in the short time frame given, I wouldn't get that extra 
cash.  I was so tired & rushed I didn't even check the ships I blew up
for salvage anymore. Just wanted to gitter done.

Overall, it's a pretty interesting game.  It has some sound logic to it
that seems missed in other games like Star Trek Online.  Although the
way star ships can bounce into stuff without blowing up sort of reminds
me of STO...lol.

#4 Posted by SileoNex (66 posts) -

I played the trial a while ago and really enjoyed it, but didn't have the money for a subscription and then this wonderful steam sale comes along. I have had it for less than 24 hours and I have already logged 13.5 hours in it. :\ Me and my friend have set up a nice little mining operation though. I haven't even look into any combat, as mining takes up all my time. 

I <3 mining.

#5 Edited by Donos (1197 posts) -

One thing about EVE is that the learning/progress curve is pretty big. At first I felt lucky to make a 100 000 isk on a mission, and now that I'm a couple months in, I'm annoyed if I make less than 50 times that.

Anyways, if any new player here would like a hand, and to save some time on grinding for cash and standings, send a message or convo in game to Sideof Fries. I should be able to answer some of your questions as well as help you out with your ship, equipment, and those valuable skillbooks.

#6 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

I'll wait until Dust 514 comes out, and then I'll give you ground cover during your Kessel Runs, Sweep.

#7 Posted by SileoNex (66 posts) -

Well, I have decided to not mine anymore. :D I have moved on to ninja salvaging which is a lot more fun.

#8 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -
@emkeighcameron said:
" I'll wait until Dust 514 comes out, and then I'll give you ground cover during your Kessel Runs, Sweep. "
LOL!  In < 12 parsecs?

I wonder if Dust 514 will be completed in less than 12 parsecs.
#9 Posted by Sweep (8948 posts) -

Fuck mining. Fuck it right in the ass. 

I swapped from heavy launchers to heavy assault launchers. Makes the salvaging easier afterwards as I am not 42k away from each wreck :D 

Still just mission running in hi-sec, hopefully getting into wormhole exploration though. My housemate is still rockin' that scene and it sounds badass.

#10 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

Have nothing special to add at the moment, just wanted to say my ingame name if questions are starting to bubble up. name: Nila Talluc.

#11 Edited by Mikemcn (7005 posts) -

My ingame name is Mikemcn

Im just rolling in a Retriever (Well not so much due to Hulkaggedeon) with my mining corp mates and have been playing for about 6-7 weeks now. @Sweep said:

" Fuck mining. Fuck it right in the ass.  I swapped from heavy launchers to heavy assault launchers. Makes the salvaging easier afterwards as I am not 42k away from each wreck :D  Still just mission running in hi-sec, hopefully getting into wormhole exploration though. My housemate is still rockin' that scene and it sounds badass. "

But mining is fun, you can like, sit down, chill out, roll in couple million veldspar and just be happy.
#12 Posted by Timberwolf (3 posts) -

EVE is awesome, its like 20 times better if you find a good group of friends in a corp/alliance to roll with. 

Me personnally , i really dislike the huge fleet fights, to many instant explosions, would be cooler if you couldnt co-ordinate everyone to alpha strike a single targer and make it asplode in a single salvo. Id love it if there were tons of smaller engagements going on as part of a massive 2-3 hundred player battle, but until they find a cool way to do that (if they do that), ill be sticking with the small gang combat, were player skill matters and awfull lot (and i dont mean player skill points, actuall player ability). 

Maybe people from Giantbomb should try and set up a corp/alliance like the guys from somethingawful did and rock the eve online world with their crazy in the faceness.

#13 Posted by Packfan104L4 (210 posts) -

Hulkageddon ftw  :)

My char's name is Squasar.  Feel free to pop me a msg anytime.  I'm a director of a high sec war-dec corp.  Most of us are 2+ years in the same corp, let alone the game.  If you're looking to learn, look up Kiith Paktu.  We'll teach you the ropes and give you people to shoot at  :)

#14 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (978 posts) -

I'm trying so hard to get into EVE, my concentration and comprehension issues with everything on the screen gives me an immediate headache. Boo, I want to space-mine.

#15 Edited by Donos (1197 posts) -
@Turbo_Toaster:
This doesn't make complete sense to you?

Seriously though, the UI gets much easier to handle with time. Just remember to close or minimize the windows you don't actually need (which is most of em).

Also, after hearing Dave's woes on today's Bombcast... what would y'all think of helping out with a quicklook? Maybe just fleet up, hook Dave and Vinny up with a few dozen million ISK in ships, and take a quick jaunt through lowsec? Alternately, hop into an epic fleet of Noobships and see how far we can run without dying?
#16 Posted by Turbo_Toaster (978 posts) -
@Donos:  A quick look for this might really help actually. Also thanks for the tip!
#17 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

I am thinking seriously about trying to get into this game. That is probably a bad idea... 

From the outside, it looks so cool and interesting, but I'm afraid of it being impossible to penetrate and understand for a newbie. Hmm...

#18 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -
@Donos said:
" @Turbo_Toaster   Seriously though, the UI gets much easier to handle with time. Just remember to close or minimize the windows you don't actually need (which is most of em).  Also, after hearing Dave's woes on today's Bombcast... what would y'all think of helping out with a quicklook? Maybe just fleet up, hook Dave and Vinny up with a few dozen million ISK in ships, and take a quick jaunt through lowsec? Alternately, hop into an epic fleet of Noobships and see how far we can run without dying? "
Yeah that sounds like an awesome idea! Guess I could jump away with my pvp clone. Just hope no one is in war with ATLAS, if so, I maybe won't come. (Risky risky)
#19 Posted by MachoFantastico (4854 posts) -

Like thousands of others, I keep trying to get into EVE Online. But I always reach that 'what the feck do I do now' part and switch it off. I love the game personally, but not to play it. 

#20 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent said:
" Like thousands of others, I keep trying to get into EVE Online. But I always reach that 'what the feck do I do now' part and switch it off. I love the game personally, but not to play it.  "
Try to get into a corporation (guild if you so want), and play with others. EVE is way more fun as a cooperative game, then solo. It enhances the experience so much more.
#21 Posted by NoXious (1353 posts) -

Is there anything Giantbomb "official" inside of EVE? I tried joining the Giantbomb channel but that was empty besides me and my 2 other personalities...
But yea I don't think us EVE veterans can team up though Althox... You're a red to me you stinking ATLAS !

#22 Edited by Althox (294 posts) -
@NoXious said:

" Is there anything Giantbomb "official" inside of EVE? I tried joining the Giantbomb channel but that was empty besides me and my 2 other personalities...But yea I don't think us EVE veterans can team up though Althox... You're a red to me you stinking ATLAS ! "

^^ well, we COULD team up, if we were to apply to an "unofficial peace treaty". I have no issues with it, depends on you others. And there is no official Giantbomb Corp anymore, though we're hanging a bit in the open chat-room "Giantbomb".

And as I don't know who to turn to about this whole Quick Look idea we have, I'm gonna send a message to Dave, and we'll see. You can PM him as well if you want to.
#23 Posted by Albamo (9 posts) -

If there's interest in an EVE quicklook, I'm definately available to help. In-game name is Albamo.
#24 Edited by Mikemcn (7005 posts) -

We need to make a list of all these names so we can add one another.

@Althox said:

" @NoXious said:

" Is there anything Giantbomb "official" inside of EVE? I tried joining the Giantbomb channel but that was empty besides me and my 2 other personalities...But yea I don't think us EVE veterans can team up though Althox... You're a red to me you stinking ATLAS ! "

^^ well, we COULD team up, if we were to apply to an "unofficial peace treaty". I have no issues with it, depends on you others. And there is no official Giantbomb Corp anymore, though we're hanging a bit in the open chat-room "Giantbomb".  And as I don't know who to turn to about this whole Quick Look idea we have, I'm gonna send a message to Dave, and we'll see. You can PM him as well if you want to. "
I once sent a message to dave about an Mount and Blade quick look, and it happened.

Ok fine, the two events are most likely totally unrelated, but I like to believe I helped make it happen.....
#25 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

We have now a mailing list for everyone to join, if we are to cooperate on a future tournament or just silly things. The picture will show you where to add mailing lists, if you've never done this before.

GB Mailing list
#26 Posted by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -

I tried EVE for a while and it was kind of fun.
Unfortunately I soon realized just how much time it would take up if I started playing seriously ( and I can't not take an MMO seriously)
There are just too many other games out there constantly coming out that it would not be realistic of me to play it in a way I would enjoy (which is spend lots of time in it) and still play other games while at the same time unless I quit my job :)

#27 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -
@Tennmuerti: Well, there's when the benefits of EVE comes in to play. You don't have to play ALL of the time. just 1-3 hours a week is a bout enough actually.
#28 Edited by Tennmuerti (8172 posts) -
@Althox said:

" @Tennmuerti: Well, there's when the benefits of EVE comes in to play. You don't have to play ALL of the time. just 1-3 hours a week is a bout enough actually. "

That's exactly why I mentioned twice that I'm not that type of gamer when it comes to MMO's unfortunately. I literally cannot psychologically play an MMO "casually". There is a need to progress and achieve and get better all the time for me as much as possible. I love games too much to the point where it hurts my RL if I don't limit the intake.
#29 Posted by Driadon (3008 posts) -

I made a brand-spanking new main named Juri Rakkuras just a day ago. I've been playing on-and-off for a good couple years, so I know a thing or two. Let me know if a quick look ends up being a go, I can most definitely help out.

#30 Posted by Mikemcn (7005 posts) -

Ive started Ninja Salvaging, its so damn profitable, but it so evil!  

My corp frowns upon it, so it will come back and bite me in the ass....... but..... for now its all I got till hulkaggedeon is over.

#31 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

Oh yeah, totally forgot about Hulkageddon. xD Luckily I haven't been able to mine for a couple of weeks now.

#32 Edited by Nentisys (897 posts) -

Just picked this up a couple days ago. Played the trial around a year ago, but I didn't pick it up till now.

Currently rollin' in a Kestrel finishing up the noobie epic arc (the blood-stained stars) and training learning skills. Also, I someone could drop me some ISK for those advanced skill books (around 4,5mil EACH where I fly). Only picked up a couple so far...

I added pretty much everyone who said their ingame name here to my contacts, and I will bombard you guys mercilessly with questions. (maybe..) My characters name is SerratedX.

EDIT: oh and I joined the Giantbomb mailing list too.

#33 Posted by Mikemcn (7005 posts) -

Join the Giant Bomb Chat channel everyone (I think someone already said this, but this is a reminder.)

#34 Posted by Khemitude (222 posts) -

Just started playing a week ago, currently rolling around in my Thorax.

#35 Posted by xivia (14 posts) -

im cracking out on this game and at the same time trying not to hate life....so far eve is winning... 
But hit me up Hyperlife (AO amarr space) im real good at killing things....with my mind!!

#36 Posted by Sweep (8948 posts) -

I'm looking for a corp! Just need some fun players to hang around with :) I'm still running missions in my Caracal cruiser with 3 heavy assault launchers and salvager trying to improve my standing with caldari navy so i can do some level 2 missions. I'm still learning, despite having played for quite a few months, but I would love to do some group based stuff. Playing this by myself kind of defeats the point of an MMO :S

#37 Edited by Renahzor (997 posts) -
@xivia: @Sweep: 
Another reminder to please join the ingame GiantBomb chat channel, we can all at least BS a little.  The people ive seen in there are in big alliances, or like myself doing their thing in their own corps.  However the channel if we get it populated could be an easy way to meet some new people and get some advice from veterans if necessary too.  :)

Ingame names:  Teya Ihara (Main, PvP focused, All sub marauder Amarr ships, occasional mission runner),  Tania Kluh (Station trading alt)
#38 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

Yes, as Renahzor said, join the in-game chat channel, and we'll try to help if questions arise or just chat casual (which we often do).

#39 Edited by wizall (50 posts) -

Nice to see some fellow GBer's interested in Eve. I started in May with my main (miner, builder, mission runner), and just over a month ago with the alt (doing core, not sure what route yet...most likely pvp).

Spoon Lord and Fork King, respectively. I'll join the channel and hope to see some of you in there.

#40 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

Does anyone here know how, or if, you can put up a sort of a contract with CONCORD or something, to keep a tournament. Or is that just null-space stuff?

#41 Posted by Driadon (3008 posts) -
@Althox: Probably null space. I'd set up a petition to see what can be done as there's nothing like that set up in-game.
#42 Edited by Althox (294 posts) -

Big news for you people roaming about in New Eden and it's advancing front lines. 

If you think this doesn't affect you, cuz you're a solo miner and yata yata yata, YOU'RE WRONG! Sansha nation is striking thin and wide, and they don't coward in 0.0, they're even in your back alley where you mine!

And as for Sisi (Singularity), it received a big patch today (Or late last night) of 1,5GB, which gives you the resources that comes with the next patch, as:
The Sansha fleet stuff, the new character creation (Not yet fully available, as in 'not working') , and PI (Planetary Interaction) upgrades.
#43 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

If you're after some juicy stories about betrayal and piracy, check this one out!

#44 Posted by LordElkDeer (43 posts) -
@TrueEnglishGent said:
" Like thousands of others, I keep trying to get into EVE Online. But I always reach that 'what the feck do I do now' part and switch it off. I love the game personally, but not to play it.  "
Solo sux. Join eve university if you can't find any corps that will take you in.
#45 Posted by Donos (1197 posts) -

If anyone is getting bored and looking for a corp, I'd suggest looking up Red vs Blue. They're a pair of hisec corps that are just about fun pvping against eachother, with basically no entry requirements/commitments, and most of the combat is T1 frigates/cruisers to keep stress to a minimum. I just joined to learn me some pvp, and I'd encourage others to do the same.

#46 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

Woke up today to find a friend posting loads of pics about EVE and it's rather fun activities. Have a look. :D

http://i.imgur.com/tQbET.jpg   
 http://i.imgur.com/cNK5U.png
 http://i.imgur.com/w2sZR.png 

Didn't post the pics as images due to size.

#47 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

Today, is a very special day, you know why? IT'S PATCHING DAY! A long and awaited patch arrives today, and starts something we've been waiting for, for quite some time. Yes, you thought right, Incarna! (It's not today that Incarna is released, just it's predecessor, Incursion 1.1.0)
Have nothing special to write to be honest, just thought I'd be a little weird and write some random stuff about this nice little release. Happy patching!

#48 Edited by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Patching is all fucked up as usual. Supposedly the latest version is 221279 but most of us are stuck at Version: 6.34.214371 with no way to download from the client or from the site here.

Will keep this updated when there is a fix for this.

UPDATE: When the patch is ready to download properly, it will be announced here.

#49 Posted by Althox (294 posts) -

It can be downloaded now, as per usual, as closer you get to the release, it'll be more stable, and you'll then be able to download it.

#50 Posted by dice66111 (40 posts) -

Yay its the dumb hulkagedon this week. looks like i will be doin missions this week. hit me up in game at Dadice

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.