Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

The Unpaid Bill That Launched a Thousand Starships

ominousbedroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The fact that a game can be such a huge deal is still beyond me (I've only just begun to delve into why sports-style tournaments are so big too). But clearly there are some smart people investing their time in it, making it into the phenomenon it is.

alfawolf04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played EVE. I never want to play EVE. I don't freaking understand EVE.

But damnit, this article was FASCINATING! Great job, Patrick!

shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#103  Edited By shodan2020

Amazing article! This makes me miss EvE.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I played Eve on and off between 2003 and 2009 and only scratched the surface. Moments like these sound awesome but when playing 99,9% of the time is grinding credits doing the same missions over and over, mining astroids or other tedious tasks. These cool moments are not enough to make up for that. But it is so cool to read about it.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Fantastic article.

puppies4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never stop being entertained by the stories coming out of this game. Amazing stuff.

Dinosaurs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#108  Edited By Dinosaurs

Awesome write up Patrick. Contacted all the right people and explained it in a way that is incredibly hard to do; understandable to people who don't play.

Not to pile onto the Kite Co. talk but if anyone's interested please join us. We've got care packages for new members that has key skill books and ships for you to fly. Also a part of the second largest alliance, The Brave Collective founded by corporation Brave Newbies Inc. Just turned one year old recently and filled with inexperienced pilots who just want to blow shit up and have a good time. You always have someone to fly with.

Loading Video...

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This makes me want to play (and not play) EVE, nicely written.

Firrae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#110  Edited By Firrae

Awesome write up Patrick! Being in that battle was pretty dope, but reading all the articles that have been written about it and yours especially shows me I play a truly crazy and ridiculous game. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

chose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those stories are great, but this game has close to no gameplay at all and is the most boring game on the market by miles. Like many said before, it's nothing more than a spreadsheet with graphics.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By patrickklepek

@chose said:

Those stories are great, but this game has close to no gameplay at all and is the most boring game on the market by miles. Like many said before, it's nothing more than a spreadsheet with graphics.

I don't think you can read something like this and say that's true. Is every turn-based game a "spreadsheet with graphics," too?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

Nice article, expect for the parts where Gianturco speaks. If you cant go a sentence without cursing you shouldn't be speaking in public. That is saying a lot coming from me.

Try listening to this interview before you go about making too many character accusations.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That was a great story.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

but B-R5RB was controlled by the alliance Pandemic Legion, and Manny leads Pandemic Legion.

My understanding is that Manny is a capital FC (Fleet Commander), a very important, crucial role, but not the actual leader of Pandemic Legion - which would be Grath.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chose said:

The gameplay is what you make of it.

Do you want to stay docked in station and simply play the market game? You can.

Do you want to run missions and just deal with PvE? You can.

Do you want to just mine minerals and build things? You can.

Do you want to join giant battles that are very slow paced (like the one described in this article)? You can.

And if you would rather ignore all of the above and instead do solo/small gang roams with small fast ships that result in heart pounding dog fights, you can definitely do those as well.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great read. Unfortunately without Patrick on the Bombcast anymore I doubt we'll hear any discussion about it there, unless Drew brings it up. Maybe on Friday's Bombin' the AM?

Avatar image for pliggethefallen
    PliggeTheFallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely loved the feature Patrick! I'm glad I was able to contribute :)

Uranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

I played Eve on and off between 2003 and 2009 and only scratched the surface. Moments like these sound awesome but when playing 99,9% of the time is grinding credits doing the same missions over and over, mining astroids or other tedious tasks. These cool moments are not enough to make up for that. But it is so cool to read about it.

None of the people that do this are involved with these fights, you don't get to the good parts of EVE by doing the boring parts, you get to the good parts by doing the good parts.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

MUCH better article than all the click-bait crap from the other gaming sites with 200 words. Thanks Patrick!

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Amazing article Kleptok!

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By CByrne

I have no idea what I read, but it sounded awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stories about EVE Online always make me think of the "American Dream." Amazing, exciting to follow, at times even inspiring, speaking of this incredible, weird, promised-land tale. And for the average person you'll be nothing but a grunt. It is something that a video game world can grow to be such a fascinating beast, though.

@zeekthegeek: Others would call him a sociopath, but I suppose that goes with the fame.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@graf1k said:

Great read. Unfortunately without Patrick on the Bombcast anymore I doubt we'll hear any discussion about it there, unless Drew brings it up. Maybe on Friday's Bombin' the AM?

I wonder if it was talked about on this weeks bombcast. From what Vinny tweeted it seems like Patrick was on it and I'm sure he brought it up.

Johnny_Sailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Great article Patrick!

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagas said:

Moments like these sound awesome but when playing 99,9% of the time is grinding credits doing the same missions over and over, mining astroids or other tedious tasks.

Sounds like you fell for the high security space trap. Try joining a wormhole corp, a nullsec alliance, do faction warfare in a militia, or even join a mercenary/ganking corp in highsec. All of those things are not only more fun and interesting, but will also earn you far, far, far more isk than running high sec missions or mining (WHICH IS THE WORST ISK/HR ACTIVITY IN THE GAME).

DallyDoll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not interested in playing EVE and I'm not quite sure I know what it's all about, but I really enjoyed this article! I appreciate the passion and dedication these players have.

telecommand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fantastic article. I've only played a bit of EVE so far (gotten deep into mining but haven't looked into joining a corp or anything yet), so I'm not familiar with the REAL EVE as such yet. Shit's crazy!

Jugglerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! Can we expect a interview dumptruck with the people you interviewed?

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

Nice article, expect for the parts where Gianturco speaks. If you cant go a sentence without cursing you shouldn't be speaking in public. That is saying a lot coming from me.

It's a video game dude, and he's really just playing into his persona as the Mittani, leader of the CFC. The "They put their dick on the table, and we chopped it off" quote is hilarious smack talk, IMO. If you listen to the Vile Rat podcast that the other guy posted, he's really nice and articulate when he isn't playing into that persona.

Avatar image for gold_skulltulla
    Gold_Skulltulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

But what's the damage assessment when converted to Bitcoin?

ekeech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By ekeech

This article has numerous in-accuracies about quite a few things in eve online. You really should have had an eve consultant for writing the article patrick.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ekeech said:

This article has numerous in-accuracies about quite a few things in eve online. You really should have had an eve consultant for writing the article patrick.

Feel free to PM me with what you think is in accurate. I had several EVE players look over the story before it was published.

Lukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Lukas

I'm not playing EVE, but this was a great read. Thank you Patrick!

Edit: I actually liked reading this article so much that after a three month break I just renewed my subscription. Again thanks for a great write up.

Edit2: I just received the $15 store coupon code but I don't need it. If anyone has use for it be my guest:

===

Your store coupon code key is below. 6fac979c6f4b-a32548t8

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a friendly message from the duders at Giant Bomb & Comic Vine.

===

mosdef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I came to this site waiting on this article. Well done. Hope to Zeus that it was talked about at length in the bombcast. "... just roll up the windows."

twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By twillfast

Giant "Eve Online Souls" Bomb.

This is not the site I signed up to, but I sure am liking it.

Windjammin' Eve of the Dota Souls 2 Online.

I really don't mind that they play/show some games more instead of just a lot of different games.

By the way, great article and what an epic event! Probably the first article here I've read word for word in a year or two.

Conciliator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this article is fucking thrilling.

thank you based Patrick.

MC_Hify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek: What is the relationship between the Pandemic Legion and N3? In the beginning of the article it is talking about Manny and the Pandemic Legion but then it switches over to talking about Manny and N3. And the Pandemic Legion is not one of the corps that the article said was in N3.

zakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lazarus Motherfucking Telraven

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mental, absolutely mental. Great article Patrick.

zakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mc_hify: Manny controlled the corp in Nulli that was responsible for the sov bill. He put that corp there so he could control the Station and the Jammer since PL was staging there

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I'm not interested in playing EVE and I'm not quite sure I know what it's all about, but I really enjoyed this article! I appreciate the passion and dedication these players have.

I'm with you. No interest in playing, but I looooooove keeping up with stuff like this.

@vuud said:

Can't wait for this to be turned into an episode of Law and Order where the most stereotypical computer geek imaginable kills someone over a Space Trader battle or theft or some shit.

I am ~85% sure that has already happened, if not in Law and Order then on CSI or NCIS.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By LiquidPrince

Insanity. That's what EVE is. I don't even understand the game, but it just sounds insane.

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When i heard about the fight, it made me resub EVE. It's just amazing how much attention this game gets after 11 years when stuff like this happens.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hands down the best piece @patrickklepek has written on the site, well done.

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#146  Edited By MrSlapHappy

Well done Patrick. Its really cool to see coverage for niche things like EVE: Online.

Also, I have pictures of when I was with TEST during the CFC invasion of Fountain. They make great wallpapers.

As the trailer says, "I was there"

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Fascinating stuff, although that Gianturco guy sounds like a demented dude-bro.

“They put their dick on the table, and we chopped it off" Seriously?

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More articles like this pls.

Phouchg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eve always makes me so excited, I love the concept and I actually love the game as well.. or I did in 2004 when I played it for three months before realising that I didn't really have time for it (despite still going to high school at the time.. can't imagine how anyone would fit it in when getting older..)

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By mr_creeper

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.