Uh, a big giant-o EVE Online battle is going on right now

#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4163 posts) -

In less than an hour, a battle of interstellar proportions will break out in the MMORPG Eve Online, a spacefaring simulation with its own politics, economies, and wars — all controlled exclusively by players. Between three and four thousand pilots are set to do battle in one of the largest fights ever on Eve, which you can watch live below or on Twitch.tv.

The battle is expected to rival the legendary Battle of Asakai as one of the most epic battles in Eve history — which totalled equivalent to $20,000 in losses for the losing team. Today's battle doesn't yet have its own name, but is taking place in a system known as 6VDT between two of the largest player alliances in the game, TEST Alliance and the CFC. In order to keep lag to a minimum, since the battle takes place on just one server, Eve's developers will likely slow down time more than 90 percent so its server can process all player actions. This means today's battle could take several hours to reach its explosive conclusion.

The Verge: One of the largest space battles in human history is now unfolding (updating live)

I guess The Verge has live coverage. Paul.

#2 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

GOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSSS

#3 Posted by Nictel (2382 posts) -

Look at all those ships! :D

#4 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

This brave man destroyed his comp to get this picture.

#5 Edited by GenghisJohn (256 posts) -

I understand that this is cool, but I have no idea what I'm looking at. can you give some context? I imagine the orange dots and red dots are ships?

#6 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

I understand that this is cool, but I have no idea what I'm looking at. can you give some context? I imagine the orange dots and red dots are ships?

Orange is one side, red is the other, the guy is way zoomed out because his comp would crash if he tried to zoom in.

#7 Edited by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2089 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Have you linked this to Drew and Patrick?, they may be interested.

-edit- Patrick had retweeted this about two hours ago.

#8 Posted by Carlos1408 (1490 posts) -

This is amazing haha. Wow. Looks pretty epic.

#9 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -
#10 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4163 posts) -
#11 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

Which one is the Goon fleet?

#12 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@humanity said:

Which one is the Goon fleet?

Red one/orange one/one that is winning.

#13 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2089 posts) -

New TEST fleet just warped in, probably wont help the cause.

#14 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Were TEST woefully outnumbered like this from the start? If so, this seems like it was an assisted suicide rather than a battle.

#15 Posted by Giantstalker (1538 posts) -
#16 Posted by KingGiddra (218 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.