Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVE Online

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released May 06, 2003

EVE Online is a loosely structured science fiction MMORPG published by CCP Games in which players take on the role of a spaceship pilot exploring a colonized galaxy.

Which starter pack should I get?

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

So I have $20 in Amazon credit and thought I might use it to get started in EVE Online. Im seeing two different 30 day packs, each with a different bonus ship. Which one do you guys think I should get? A lot of people seem to recommend just selling off the free ship, thoughts?

http://www.amazon.com/Days-Game-Time-Exclusive-Ship/dp/B00A2CI55S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369935968&sr=8-1&keywords=eve+online

http://www.amazon.com/Eve-Online-Starter-Pack-Game/dp/B00BUSCKW2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369935968&sr=8-2&keywords=eve+online

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The first is a game time code that comes with a ship you won't want to fly [it'll be targeted and blown up simply for being a limited edition item], so you can save it if you're into collecting or sell it off for a bit of starting ISK. To use this code, you need to already have an account set-up [free trial or paid].

The second code is a starter pack, which can't be used if you're already on a trial account. With this, you get a ship you can fly [it's a basic frigate], some equipment for it and a nice skill booster which will help you train up faster for 30 days.

So, second option to me is the best bet if you don't have an account yet. I personally think the skill booster is handy for the first month .I think it's equivalent to having +3 implants in all skills, so you can double that up with other implants once you make a bit of money [we can explain all this once you start playing.] Of course, if you've already started playing and don't want to make a new character, the first option is decent. Get your 30-days and some ISK. Don't know the going rate off the top of my head on that Catalyst...maybe 10 - 20 million.

Best of luck to you and hope to see you in-game soon! Any other questions, or of you need more clarification, just let me know.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

If you do the tutorials you get some ok ships pretty fast. Within 3 days of the game i had a galantine mining frigate the one tone drone if i remember right.

Avatar image for burningstickman
    BurningStickMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By BurningStickMan
    flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_creeper: Thanks for all this awesome information, I'm so nervous/excited to get started. I have created an account but havnt made a character yet, so I may just make a new account with the starter pack.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

I bought the starter pack with the frigate when it was on promotion but you get two of that ship anyway when you do the tutorials so you wont be missing out if you buy the other pack. You will get a half dozen ships for nothing just by sinking a couple of hours in so its a good way to start out, and if you join the giantbomb channel the guys on there will look after you, they are a good bunch ^_^

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By musclerider

I've totally activated a starter pack on a trial account...

Whatever it takes, just get in this game's craziness.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Subjugation

@flakmunkey: I'd personally go after the starter pack with the skill booster. Ships just come naturally with time, but being able to accelerate the speed at which you acquire skills is really awesome since they quickly become a fairly significant time investment. As mentioned earlier, be sure to join the "giantbombing" channel if/when you get in the game so duders can help you through the initial learning curve. GLHB.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By flakmunkey

Thanks again for all the help, it's exciting to know that all the duders here are so willing to help. Ill likely start my character tonight if i can break away from STO long enough. I have a good feeling that once I go EVE I'll be giving up STO entirely.

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mr_creeper
    @musclerider said:

I've totally activated a starter pack on a trial account...

You're right, my bad. The old starter packages used to work that way. This one does clearly state it can be used on a trail account in the fine print. Either way, it's the one I would recommend.

@flakmunkey said:

Thanks again for all the help, it's exciting to know that all the duders here are so willing to help. Ill likely start my character tonight if i can break away from STO long enough. I have a good feeling that once I go EVE I'll be giving up STO entirely.

Glad to hear it! No need to quit Star Trek Online, though -- I just started playing that again, myself.

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Stimpack
    mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just stumbled across this site today that's got Starter Packs for $5. Check it out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.