Yup, EVE Online is still crazy (2800-man battle)

• 59 results
#1 Edited by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

I know close to nothing about EVE Online, but I know a lot of you guys love hearing about the crazy stories that come out of it, so in case you missed it, I thought this was worth a thread. If you have more information, please share it, and if I talk out of my ass, feel free to correct me. :)

Over the week end, a simple navigation error made by a high ranking member of one of the largest factions in the game, caused a ginormous battle involving at least 2800 players. The exact count isn't clear, but it may be as much as 3284 players, with 278 alliances and 740 corporations involved. Here's a pretty good explaination of what happened, by appropriately named reddit user videogameexpert :

Pretend EVE is real life and whole cities can teleport.

The reddit alliance is pretending to be north america in this example and something awful goons will be Europe.

These two superpowers have been somewhat friends for 3 years, but relationships are getting strained. Also, some people just want to fight because they're bored.

They've been arguing with each other for a few days now, and the guy controlling Paris (a single EVE ship, but one of the most powerful ones) last night hit the wrong button. He teleported the city of Paris into Canada (Pandemic in my example) but forgot to teleport all the suburbs (ships) around the city, stranding it.

Canada ganged up on Paris instantly and called in the US (TEST in my example) to help. So basically the US and Canada obliterated Paris. Europe sent in reinforcements but without a good strategy against an already prepared North America they were also crushed.

Europe is now without 3 major cities and 10 or so minor ones. They still have plenty of resources left, but it was a great first strike. Especially since North America pretty much lost nothing.

You'd think the servers would melt when something like this happens, and you're not wrong. Despite time being slowed by 90% to help with the load, there was massive lag and many players were disconnected. Considering none of this was planned, that's not at all surprising.

I found a bunch of different estimates on the total damage, ranging from 610 billion to 1 trillion ISK. According to this thing , we're talking up to $35,000. That's not quite million bucks, but it's still a lot of money.

More on this hereand here.

All of this only makes me wish Dust 514 was a better game. I played a few matches of the beta and found it lacking to say the least. EVE Online was a very different game when it first came out, so we can always hope they make good on the promise eventually, cause I really want to be part of this type of craziness. Do you guys think similar stuff could ever happen in Dust ?

sources : dog-net (battle report) stickskillspso-world forumsreddit

#2 Posted by Venatio (4493 posts) -

That is insane, game looks cool but it scares me

#3 Posted by Funkydupe (3321 posts) -

Is that fun? That image looks like what I'd imagine chaos to look like if chaos had a hangover.

#4 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

The part where it breaks when anything cool happens is why I don't even bother.

#5 Posted by MattGrant (122 posts) -

Nice find. It really is cool to see this type of thing, which EVE excells at. For me at least, I can only appreciate t he game from afar. On the few occasions I tried getting into EVE, its plodding nature overwhelmed me.

#6 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

@Jace: Yeah that kinda sucks, but it's inevitable when you give that much freedom to player.

#7 Posted by Renahzor (1001 posts) -

@Jace: I'll try and explain a bit because of how EVE mechanics work many people don't understand. First of all this is more individual players than are typically online in an entire MMO cluster/server, all gathered into one grid of one system, essentially in the same place. EVE uses dynamic Time Dilatation (TiDi) to slow down incoming server calls dramatically under high load for the affected and surrounding systems. At maximum it slows time by 90%, allowing the server to handle 1/10th of the normally necessary load. This has allowed the server to even stay up during this size of engagement, however their server architecture comes into play because this fight was extremely organic.

Eve uses lots of machines to run the individual systems and clusters of systems of EVE. The universe is basically 3 concentric rings, with the center being "High Sec" and more densely populated, the outer ring being player controlled "null sec/0.0" with still a good number of players, and the center ring being the forgotten bastard child known as Low Sec. So few people live and use lowsec systems, it needs comparatively little server resources to run, because nothing ever really happens there on this scale. A typical engagement approaching this size happens in Null Sec, usually during a sovereignty battle and relatively easily predictable. This allows CCP time to transfer more server resources to the affected node in advance and allow decently smooth gameplay even under maximum TiDi.

This fight was different, it grew organically throughout the fight, started in lowsec and didn't have reinforced machines to help out, causing lots of lag. Essentially someone laid a trap, waiting for CFC to drop in Caps or Supercaps to take out a moon mining pos. From reports CFC accidentally jumped in a lone titan (Relatively common mistake of hitting jump instead of bridge in an interface), and PL committed their supers to the field to take it out. The rest is an organic escalation of a supercap fight which eventually obviously lead to some laggy situations. It's unfortunate, but from the stream it looked at least marginally playable still, which is a feat from an organic fight with this many players all in one battle.

#8 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

I play Eve but not deep enough into it (yet) to be in one of these superpower coalitions. We do have a couple of people in the Giant Bomb channel that are a member of TEST Alliance, curious to see if they were a part of this. It's probably a good thing for the game if these guys go into all out war.

#9 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4496 posts) -

lol

#10 Edited by Nictel (2440 posts) -

I love these stories, don't have the time to commit fully to EVE unfortunately.

#11 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

I put 10 hours into EVE, but nothing doing. At this point the only thing that could get me to play would be if a dedicated group of vent buddies were to just help power level me. As it stands I could probably do with a better group of vent buddies.

#12 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -
@thabigred

I put 10 hours into EVE, but nothing doing. At this point the only thing that could get me to play would be if a dedicated group of vent buddies were to just help power level me. As it stands I could probably do with a better group of vent buddies.

There is no such thing as power levelling in Eve, since skills improve in real time?
#13 Posted by Nentisys (893 posts) -

I was there. And all the posters in this thread know nothing about eve since all the explanations are really bad.

#14 Posted by 49th (2850 posts) -

That's hilarious, this game has the best stories.

#15 Posted by leebmx (2235 posts) -

I love these sorts of stories about EVE but would be terrified of a game where someone might ring you up and tell you get online now. As much I love games this seems like too much dedication.

#16 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

I would not be able to play this game!

#17 Posted by jozzy (2035 posts) -

@Nentisys said:

I was there. And all the posters in this thread know nothing about eve since all the explanations are really bad.

As far as I can tell only 2 posters here tried to explain anything, so ... ?

If you were there would you like to enlighten as lowly folk as to what really is going on instead of being condescending?

#18 Edited by buft (3320 posts) -

I love EVE stories, this one has not let me down

#19 Posted by Nentisys (893 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@Nentisys said:

If you were there would you like to enlighten as lowly folk as to what really is going on instead of being condescending?

http://themittani.com/news/breaking-massive-super-fight-asakai-lowsec explains it well.

TLDR: LargeGroup A tries to gank SmallGroup A since they are butthurt from something that happened a while ago. Gank goes wrong and LargeGroup B comes to attack LargeGroup A. LargeGroup A totally misjudges the situation and escalates with everything they got (even stuff which is useless in such a battle). LargeGroupB calls in all their friends in LargeGroup C. Massive lag (thanks to a low priority node) means everyone who does not like LargeGroup A comes in to beat them up.

#20 Edited by KingGiddra (243 posts) -

For anyone interested in EVE I suggest checking out our small (but growing!) Giantbomb community! Head over to the thread and check out the first post. I made a short guide, included a link for the trial, and gave a short checklist. The guys hanging out in the channel can help you get started and give you the inside scoop on what happened during that battle.

Here's a pretty good video of the first twenty minutes or so of the battle. (It's just a higher quality version of the video in the OP)

#21 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

@Nentisys said:

@jozzy said:

@Nentisys said:

http://themittani.com/news/breaking-massive-super-fight-asakai-lowsec explains it well.

TLDR: LargeGroup A tries to gank SmallGroup A since they are butthurt from something that happened a while ago. Gank goes wrong and LargeGroup B comes to attack LargeGroup A. LargeGroup A totally misjudges the situation and escalates with everything they got (even stuff which is useless in such a battle). LargeGroupB calls in all their friends in LargeGroup C. Massive lag (thanks to a low priority node) means everyone who does not like LargeGroup A comes in to beat them up.

I linked to that page in the OP. To me it just sounds like a more complicated version of what that guy said on reddit. A dude made a mistake and chaos ensued.

#22 Posted by Renahzor (1001 posts) -

@Nentisys: Yeah, you're right, my explanation was totally wrong.... >.>

#23 Edited by KingGiddra (243 posts) -

A bit more background on this battle should be in order. Goonswarm Federation controls most of the northern half of the galaxy in EVE. They lead a coalition of alliances known as the "CFC." This coalition is one of the oldest and strongest still around in the game. Goonswarm has been around for many years and are pretty famous for domination of pretty much everything in EVE. In 2010, a small upstart corporation, Dreddit, was aided by Goonswarm and nurtured into its own alliance and later lead a rival coalition, the "HBC." These two coalitions have set the stage for a Cold War for the last six months.

Dabigredboat (DBRB) is one of the most prominent fleet commanders in Goonswarm Federation and is in charge of much of Goonswarm's military backbone. DBRB is known for two things: his loud mouth and his pride. DBRB's hubris combined with an intense hatred for Goonswarm by most of EVE lead to the events of yesterday. At one point in the fight, DBRB's Leviathan is freed from a warp scramble and exits the field. In his pride, the titan later returns only to be killed.

While this fight didn't cripple Goonswarm, it revealed that a god can bleed.

Here's a tool to show the relative power of coalitions in game: http://raynor.cl/eve/coalition.php

#24 Posted by KingGiddra (243 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Nentisys said:

Do explain then.

For a layman, most of the explanations are just fine. The major points to take away from this are that a large battle happened due to a rather large mistake. The battle quickly escalated due to tensions between large coalitions.

#25 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

@KingGiddra said:

A bit more background on this battle should be in order. Goonswarm Federation controls most of the northern half of the galaxy in EVE. They lead a coalition of alliances known as the "CFC." This coalition is one of the oldest and strongest still around in the game. Goonswarm has been around for many years and are pretty famous for domination of pretty much everything in EVE. In 2010, a small upstart corporation, Dreddit, was aided by Goonswarm and nurtured into its own alliance and later lead a rival coalition, the "HBC." These two coalitions have set the stage for a Cold War for the last six months.

Dabigredboat (DBRB) is one of the most prominent fleet commanders in Goonswarm Federation and is in charge of much of Goonswarm's military backbone. DBRB is known for two things: his loud mouth and his pride. DBRB's hubris combined with an intense hatred for Goonswarm by most of EVE lead to the events of yesterday. At one point in the fight, DBRB's Leviathan is freed from a warp scramble and exits the field. In his pride, the titan later returns only to be killed.

While this fight didn't cripple Goonswarm, it revealed that a god can bleed.

Here's a tool to show the relative power of coalitions in game: http://raynor.cl/eve/coalition.php

The corporation names make EVE stories a hundred times better. x)

#26 Posted by Nilazz (639 posts) -

That's just...Holy shit.

#27 Posted by KingGiddra (243 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

The corporation names make EVE stories a hundred times better. x)

I should probably clarify a bit further. The social structure in EVE from largest to smallest is: Coalition, Alliance, and Corporation. Corporations are groups of players, alliances are groups of corporations, and coalitions are groups of alliances. Goonswarm is the leader of the Goonswarm alliance, which in turn leads the CFC. Dreddit is the leader of TEST Alliance Please Ignore and is ostensibly the leader of the HBC. These two coalitions form the largest powers in EVE and are very different. The Mittani leads the CFC as a dictatorship with absolute power while Montolio leads the HBC as a group of equals, but not quite so democratically.

#28 Posted by OfficeGamer (1086 posts) -

@KingGiddra said:

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@Nentisys said:

Do explain then.

For a layman, most of the explanations are just fine. The major points to take away from this are that a large battle happened due to a rather large mistake. The battle quickly escalated due to tensions between large coalitions.

International Relations is my university major and the fact that what you just said happened in a multiplayer video game is just fascinating to me.

God, man. PC gaming. Damn. <3

#29 Posted by wumbo3000 (1007 posts) -

I want there to be a "Tales of the EVE Online." Insane shit happens in this game and I love hearing about it.

I wonder what "The Honda Accord" guild is doing right now.

#30 Edited by Nentisys (893 posts) -

Apologies. I didn't notice you linked that also in the OP. Nevertheless that reddit explanation is bad since it credits TEST as being the 'other' large party that came to help. TEST were irrelevant in this fight. The moment NCdot, Nulli and BL. hit the field, it was over. TEST was nowhere to be seen. Their drakeblob came in the end but it was already won. Just look at the killmails.

90% of your explanation is irrelevant. You made a big deal about it being in lowsec and then didn't explain how that is relevant to the fight (no DD, bubbles, bombs). It is a huge deal since if this was null, the whole CFC capital/super fleet would have been destroyed.

they are long dead.

#31 Edited by Ares42 (2797 posts) -

If only people making MMOs had followed in EVEs trails instead of WoW. This is the kinda awesomeness that the genre is made for.

#32 Posted by KingGiddra (243 posts) -

@Nentisys said:

Apologies. I didn't notice you linked that also in the OP. Nevertheless that reddit explanation is bad since it credits TEST as being the 'other' large party that came to help. TEST were irrelevant in this fight. The moment NCdot, Nulli and BL. hit the field, it was over. TEST was nowhere to be seen. Their drakeblob came in the end but it was already won. Just look at the killmails.

90% of your explanation is irrelevant. You made a big deal about it being in lowsec and then didn't explain how that is relevant to the fight (no DD, bubbles, bombs). It is a huge deal since if this was null, the whole CFC capital/super fleet would have been destroyed.

they are long dead.

I love DBRB (bark bark bark) and the fact that he had the balls to lead a supercap OP is awesome! The very first fleet I ever went on I MWD'd a rifter straight into his Leviathan.

You bring up an interesting point about lowsec. I wonder if DBRB felt confident enough to call for supers because it was lowsec.

#33 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@thabigred

There is no such thing as power levelling in Eve, since skills improve in real time?

Well I would need a group of buddies to get me up to speed.

#34 Posted by KingGiddra (243 posts) -

@thabigred said:

@jozzy said:

@thabigred

We have a Giantbomb group that helps any new players!

#35 Posted by Nentisys (893 posts) -

@KingGiddra said:

I love DBRB (bark bark bark) and the fact that he had the balls to lead a supercap OP is awesome! The very first fleet I ever went on I MWD'd a rifter straight into his Leviathan.

You bring up an interesting point about lowsec. I wonder if DBRB felt confident enough to call for supers because it was lowsec.

Short answer: Yes.

The risk is minimal. Do you know how hard it is to keep a HIC point on a supercap in such a fight? ECM bursts and lag make it really hard. Add to that the legion of sentry carriers taking potshots at you. And the inevitable subcap fleet targeting only HICs. It was only thanks to DnD and FATE reshipping like madmen that those supercaps died.

CFC is the most conservative major power in the history of eve. They are extremely risk-averse about using supercaps (funny how a year or two ago they didn't even use capitals often) even when they have total subcap dominance. Just look at the Tribute War.

There is a fundamental difference in how alliances like Goonswarm and TEST (to a lesser extent) view and play eve compared to NCdot, ev0ke (RIP) or the old PL. Empire building and diplomacy vs fighting whoever. Shame that the 0.0 game has evolved into coalition building.

#36 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

@KingGiddra said:

@thabigred said:

@jozzy said:

@thabigred

I can't play MMOs without talking to other people while I play. Does giantbomb EVE players have a ventrillo/teamspeak?

#37 Edited by Nentisys (893 posts) -

@thabigred said:

@KingGiddra said:

@thabigred said:

@jozzy said:

@thabigred

I can't play MMOs without talking to other people while I play. Does giantbomb EVE players have a ventrillo/teamspeak?

No, since the giantbomb group is just a chat channel.

All the occupants are from different alliances. Alliances have their own VOIP solutions. Most use mumble, some use TS3. Noone uses ventrilo since it breaks when you have hundreds of people on the server/channel.

#38 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

@thabigred said:

have to understand you can't power level in eve. At best you could get good advice about what skills to train but there is no short cut to the training time. Being "max level" is not defined in EvE but I suppose if you wanted to take an example of being able to use tech 2 ships and fittings well that takes several months of training queue time. Your actual game play does not effect this in general and playing the game centers mostly around getting more isk and establishing relationships with other players. If you wanted to just wait for your skills to train you would only have to log in every 24 hours at most to update your skill queue.

#39 Posted by Jace (1094 posts) -

@Renahzor said:

@Jace: I'll try and explain a bit because of how EVE mechanics work many people don't understand. First of all this is more individual players than are typically online in an entire MMO cluster/server, all gathered into one grid of one system, essentially in the same place. EVE uses dynamic Time Dilatation (TiDi) to slow down incoming server calls dramatically under high load for the affected and surrounding systems. At maximum it slows time by 90%, allowing the server to handle 1/10th of the normally necessary load. This has allowed the server to even stay up during this size of engagement, however their server architecture comes into play because this fight was extremely organic.

Eve uses lots of machines to run the individual systems and clusters of systems of EVE. The universe is basically 3 concentric rings, with the center being "High Sec" and more densely populated, the outer ring being player controlled "null sec/0.0" with still a good number of players, and the center ring being the forgotten bastard child known as Low Sec. So few people live and use lowsec systems, it needs comparatively little server resources to run, because nothing ever really happens there on this scale. A typical engagement approaching this size happens in Null Sec, usually during a sovereignty battle and relatively easily predictable. This allows CCP time to transfer more server resources to the affected node in advance and allow decently smooth gameplay even under maximum TiDi.

This fight was different, it grew organically throughout the fight, started in lowsec and didn't have reinforced machines to help out, causing lots of lag. Essentially someone laid a trap, waiting for CFC to drop in Caps or Supercaps to take out a moon mining pos. From reports CFC accidentally jumped in a lone titan (Relatively common mistake of hitting jump instead of bridge in an interface), and PL committed their supers to the field to take it out. The rest is an organic escalation of a supercap fight which eventually obviously lead to some laggy situations. It's unfortunate, but from the stream it looked at least marginally playable still, which is a feat from an organic fight with this many players all in one battle.

I've played EvE before, a great deal actually. My problem, because it seems I need further clarity, is that this game has been around forever and they still can't figure out a way to reliably create large scale battles. It's like an Alpha test for BF1942 mods that tried to do 128 players back in the day. It's a cute number and it makes for cute screens but ultimately none of that matters because it breaks.

#40 Posted by graf1k (437 posts) -

EVE to me, seems like a totally different type of MMO. An MMMO if you will. Massively Meta Multiplayer Online game. Which is awesome. As I understand it, the way OP described what went down is right on, but the part that makes it super interesting to me, even if it's just speculation and conjecture is that the dude who warped Paris into Canada could possibly have been a double agent all along or could just as easily have been payed off to "accidentally" warp Paris into Canada, using the previous analogy. That, to me, increases the awesomeness factor of this shit ten fold.

#41 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

@Jace said:

@Renahzor said:

I've played EvE before, a great deal actually. My problem, because it seems I need further clarity, is that this game has been around forever and they still can't figure out a way to reliably create large scale battles. It's like an Alpha test for BF1942 mods that tried to do 128 players back in the day. It's a cute number and it makes for cute screens but ultimately none of that matters because it breaks.

I wouldn't say it broke exactly. It was really slow but the battle still took place and all those super capital ships were legitimately killed. Even if it was time dilated like crazy.

#42 Posted by TheHT (11802 posts) -

fucking madness! yeesh.

#43 Posted by Humanity (10119 posts) -

Stories like these sometimes make me regret that I never joined Goonswarm when it was just starting up on SA all those years ago (I think it was called something different back then) but I honestly don't feel I'd have the time or dedication to play this game in a meaningful way.

#44 Posted by KingGiddra (243 posts) -

@Jace said:

@Renahzor said:

You keep saying this, but have you actually been in a large battle before? I've been in several over the course of the last year and I've yet to see the game break. I may be wrong, but the battle for C-J was larger than this and went on without a hitch, much like this one.

#45 Posted by believer258 (12207 posts) -

Man, this is fucking amazing. I don't know if I want to actually play EVE because I have nowhere near that kind of time or dedication to a single game, but someone needs to compile and publish a book of short stories detailing the major events in EVE's history.

#46 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Man, this is fucking amazing. I don't know if I want to actually play EVE because I have nowhere near that kind of time or dedication to a single game, but someone needs to compile and publish a book of short stories detailing the major events in EVE's history.

I would read such a book

kickstarter would be the perfect place for such a book too D:

#47 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1843 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@believer258 said:

I would read such a book

I remember some story in EVE where some guy set up his own bank with loans and everything, then one day just took all the money,ran bought a giant battleship and put a giant bounty on himself just to taunt everybody

EDIT: found it its number #1 on the list #7 is also a crazy EVE story (http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-biggest-dick-moves-in-history-online-gaming_p2/ )

#48 Posted by Freshbandito (689 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@believer258 said:

I would read such a book

Have to admit that I'd probably be quite interested in reading that book too, having no idea of how EVE really plays just makes the stories all the more interesting.

#49 Posted by VisariLoyalist (3000 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@believer258 said:

I would read such a book

There are blogs that try to explain the eve political intrigue in terms people can understand though it is still a little hard to penetrate without prior knowledge. Here is a good article about a recent event it's hard for me to tell if its of any use to the uninitiated though. http://themittani.com/features/razor-accidentally-almost-whole-irc

#50 Posted by KingGiddra (243 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@Animasta said:

@believer258 said:

I would read such a book

I remember some story in EVE where some guy set up his own bank with loans and everything, then one day just took all the money,ran bought a giant battleship and put a giant bounty on himself just to taunt everybody

EDIT: found it its number #1 on the list #7 is also a crazy EVE story (http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-7-biggest-dick-moves-in-history-online-gaming_p2/ )

I love that story, but I much prefer the tales of Russian aluminum tycoons taking the game a bit too far.

The bad crazy goes beyond dropping 100 large on internet spaceships, though. About two years ago, Goonswarm was aiding our allies, Red Alliance (RA, the aforementioned 'rats' with whom SirLordex is cross) in the invasion of the Scalding Pass region against Lotka Volterra and their coalition. Lotka Volterra had unveiled one of the first Titans against us to catastrophic consequences, and at the time these profoundly silly ships were nearly impossible to kill through legitimate in-game means; they were essentially invulnerable, with the only Titans destroyed through catching the ship while the pilot was disconnected from the game. It was determined that 'The Enslaver' and his Avatar-class Titan had to go. I was approached by one of the leaders of Red Alliance to help make this happen, but almost immediately we were down the rabbit hole. Much to my surprise, the RA director didn't want in-game information from me; he wanted us to use the forensic resources of our intelligence agency to trace down The Enslaver's home address. At a coordinated time, armed with this information, a RA member would apparently cut the power to The Enslaver's house in the real world, and in EVE a RA capital fleet would assault the abruptly pilotless Titan. Yikes.

As one can imagine, I demurred, but the RA director didn't want to take 'no' for an answer and I didn't fancy telling him that I thought he was completely insane. I said that I'd 'look into it', and that's when things began to get really crazy - Kugutsumen got involved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.