Is it worth playing?

#1 Posted by steelerzfan101 (270 posts) -

I was just looking around Steam when I saw that Everquest has went Free-to-play. I haven't really done that much research to see what they mean by free to play but it seems that you will be able to play a big portion of the game for free. I have never played Everquest myself so I am wondering, is it worth downloading the game and playing it now? Does the free-to-play version provide enough content to give me a good taste of the game? And, is it worth getting into Everquest this late?

#2 Posted by Kidavenger (3509 posts) -

I couldn't play this game in 2001 when I tried to getting into it because the graphics were so bad, I can hardly imagine trying it now. From my MMO experience (too much WoW and SWG) you have to put a lot of time into these types of games to get anything out of them, and I don't think free is a valid reason on it's own to invest any amount of time in a MMO. The only MMOs worth considering at this point are World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria , Rift and EVE Online, anything else is nothing more than a novelty.

#3 Edited by SirOptimusPrime (1946 posts) -

Well, I just checked in on it after

I didn't go past the character creation screen because I just kept yelling "Wow! Really?" at the screen, but as a whole I think the time for the game has passed. Even if I really love everything outside of the actual gameplay still, it's a grind for the most part.

When that song popped up on the loading screen, though, memories just came flooding back. So, eh.

#4 Posted by Vampir (129 posts) -

There's a breakdown here: http://everquest.station.sony.com/free

It looks like they're not going the micro-transaction route, which is nice. If nothing else you will have satisfied your curiosity. There are plenty of other free MMOs, though, including EQII.

#5 Posted by mikeeegeee (1552 posts) -

@Kidavenger: Anything else is a novelty? What? Guild Wars 2 deserves to be mentioned with WoW, EVE, and Rift.

As far as EQ goes, I'm downloading it right now and I am really excited. I played the game a lot about eleven years ago, so I've got tons of nostalgia for it. If you don't have the nostalgia, I'm pretty sure you'll find the experience to be a shitty one. Me, I just can't wait to be in Kelethin again, listening to that music, going to Orc Hill and Crushbone... damn, this is gonna be sweet.

#6 Posted by Marino (4597 posts) -
@mikeeegeee Kelethin probably had the best bg music of any city. I really miss those original midi songs. Being a halfling, the weird midi polka music in Rivervale is burned into my mind. Not complaining though.

Kill DVinn for me.
Staff Online
#7 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -
#8 Edited by Xeirus (1293 posts) -

@aquamarin said:

@Kidavenger said:

The only MMOs worth considering at this point are World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria , Rift and EVE Online, anything else is nothing more than a novelty.

What about TERA? I heard good things about the combat and the graphics.

The problem with most of these MMOs is there's so much rinse and repeat you're done after a week. Ultima and eventually WoW were the only two to keep me hooked for any reasonable period of time.

EDITl: I will say, I played rift for a brief period of time and it seems like a really solid MMO.

#9 Posted by steelerzfan101 (270 posts) -

Well, I think I might give it a go. We will see how long I last! Yeah the graphics and visuals may not look good to me now but hopefully that won't be too much of a distraction...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.