Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

EVO 2013 Preview (July 12-14) Live from Las Vegas, 3 days, 9 fighting game championships to be decided!

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

What an awesome day. I barely had time this weekend to watch the stuff I wanted to from the main streams, so will try to watch the side stuff over the next few days.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Such a fun weekend. Big props to @flstyle for all of his awesome FGC blogs and also big props to @mrpibb for getting permission to leave the chat room open and even hanging out with us. That was 100 times more fun hanging out with duders and chatting. I hope we can get chat room open for the next big tourney that rolls around.

Hadoken101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

And so ends another Evo, which continues to be the greatest part of every year.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#404  Edited By JJOR64

Man what a crazy EVO. Blows after blow ups. Very high chance that I am going next year. Also a good year to good since SF4 is getting a new update.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First time I tune in for Evo but man so hype!!!!! Specially enjoyed the KOF XIII finals the most

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407  Edited By TruthTellah

@demoskinos: Wait, chat was open? Dang! I didn't see the little words at the top indicating that. I would have loved to have watched it with everyone.

Oh well. Even just by my lonesome it was super cool. :)

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408  Edited By churrific

Yeah awesome EVO times. Lmao, I haven't sweat that much watching any sort event in a looong time. Thanks @mrpibb for not only keeping the chat up, but for some sick polls lol.

Aronleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

EVO 2013 had a lot to live up after last year hype and not only matched it it blew it away completely, from the pools to the quarter final to the semi finals to the Hype machine that were the Grand Finals. Sure a couple of boring thins happen like injustice, MK and a part of SFXT, but the sheer amount to moments this EVO had is just too much, Godslayer Rog, Mad salty Woo, Its my game Reynolds KOF, Bracket Reset Flavor Mango, Here come the Wobs Nana, Oil Monster Infiltration, and Justin the Wong Factor. I can say this was a Great EVO and will see you all next year.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Marvel was crazy hype. Me and all the people I was watching with were rooting for Justin so hard. He could of took that last game too. I was rotted. Melee top 8 was amazing even if the GF were so one sided.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

What an amazing event. Not much more to say.

The final day in particular was so immensely exciting, with the only exceptions being Killer Instinct and, to a lesser extent, Injustice.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#412  Edited By JJOR64

with the only exceptions being Killer Instinct and, to a lesser extent, Injustice.

Pretty much this. Best part about Injustice was KDZ hugging Superman after he won.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#413  Edited By recroulette

This was a great end to a week that started off so so bad. Thanks for these blogs, this event was amazing.

Edit: I just realized that Chris G got knocked out of both big tournaments he was in today by time running out. That sucks!

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#414  Edited By reisz

Those last SF matches were great, I'm going to have to follow much closer next year.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#415  Edited By StarvingGamer

Man, I'm bummed out now.

EVO's over guys.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416  Edited By supamon

Holy crap a dude from my country won the SF tournament? Insanity!!! Wish I didn't get spoiled by a post on facebook since I wanted to watch the finals after work.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a first timer this was pretty fantastic. I really gotta take those days off next year or something.

Get rid of Smash though. I'll get flamed for this, but it has no place there. I wouldn't mind seeing Third Strike or something. A bit redundant, but whatever. Marvel and Street Fighter were hype though, and the KOF finals were damn great too.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418  Edited By shinjin977

@aetheldod said:

First time I tune in for Evo but man so hype!!!!! Specially enjoyed the KOF XIII finals the most

That kof final was very hype but I was very disappointed by Woo. His inexperience with the competition scene showed as soon as he got upset and he just crumbles like paper. He remind me of Chris G pre-god mode, I hope he work off his nerve and become a real monster in the future. Also good shit Reynald about damn time he gets his due.

My personal favorite Evo 2013 moment was the whole p4a tournament and Yume's disgusting Aegis. I love Lordknight's Mitsuru but Yume made him look fucking free.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noooo I have fallen asleep. IT was way too late here but I already watched the finals and it was sooo damn good. Man this year was just crazy. Sooo good and the competition gets tougher and tougher each year.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#420  Edited By musubi

@starvinggamer: Haha yeah, that's the shitty part of all of this. It has to end eventually. Sucks! On the other hand I might be able to actually play some of these steam sale games I've been buying now.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Evo 2013! You were the best ever! Thanks to all you GBers for tuning in and checking out this thread. Thanks to @mrpibb for the stealth chat.

I'll have more thorough and detailed thoughts on this weekend's action when everything that's happened sinks in.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#422  Edited By GaspoweR

@shinjin977 said:

@aetheldod said:

That kof final was very hype but I was very disappointed by Woo. His inexperience with the competition scene showed as soon as he got upset and he just crumbles like paper. He remind me of Chris G pre-god mode, I hope he work off his nerve and become a real monster in the future. Also good shit Reynald about damn time he gets his due.

My personal favorite Evo 2013 moment was the whole p4a tournament and Yume's disgusting Aegis. I love Lordknight's Mitsuru but Yume made him look fucking free.

To be fair, Bananaken could have won against LK but he pretty much beat himself because of execution errors. :( FWIW, I thought he could have gave Yume a run for his money more so than LK.

As for Woo, going with Mai was a pretty bad choice and I don't know what setups he had but he might have wanted to pull off the instant anti-air Neomax using Mai but he was getting rushed down badly, and Reynald other than BALA has sick rush down when he's on auto-pilot mode.

EDIT: Also thanks to all the duders I was chatting with and getting crazy during matches and moments of hype! Love all of you guys and we needed this especially considering what has happened for the past week. ;_; Thank you, GB community and especially @flstyle and @mrpibb!

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#423  Edited By TyCobb

Anyone know what they are streaming right now? I missed yesterday so was going to pull up the broadcast and noticed they are live on SF4.

EDIT: Never mind it is a rerun.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I know they run other smaller events/tourneys throughout the year. Where do I even begin to follow that scene? I'd like to watch more if possible. Specifically for Marvel and Street Fighter.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By Darji

So I know they run other smaller events/tourneys throughout the year. Where do I even begin to follow that scene? I'd like to watch more if possible. Specifically for Marvel and Street Fighter.

Heree is the normal twitch channel:;

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got to attend the whole thing in person and I had a blast. Probably missed quite a few great matches on Friday and Saturday, but I got to see so many different games on display in return. I really want to see more of Gundam Extreme Vs. in particular. Game looks like so much fun.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just got round to watching ChrisG vs Justin Wong in losers quarter, that was a crazy match. On a side not I didnt spot the chat was open so i missed out as well

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429  Edited By churrific
    jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430  Edited By jewunit

@starvinggamer said:

Man, I'm bummed out now.

EVO's over guys.

No way, man! The Road to EVO 2014 has begun. There is no off-season.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

EVO was great this year! Everything was pretty good except KI, Injustice, USF4 5th Character trolling and post-Evo P4U Trolling.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

I couldn't find a link for this last night, but I found it today. On a sidestream I was watching a Darkstalkers tournament (Haitani cleaned up), and later on in the stream they had a big 5v5 P4A match between Japan and America, after that Yume played BananaKen in a first to 5 money match (the match people really wanted to see in the P4A finals). It starts with some random matches then the 5v5, but if you want to skip to the Yume/BananaKen match, it's around the 1:08:00 mark.

http://www.twitch.tv/finestko/b/430246665

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433  Edited By davidwitten22

So I just got around to watching all the Finals today and I have to say, EVO fucking delivered yet again. KOF was hype as fuck as always, Smash was great except I absolutely hate the guy who won with a fiery passion, Injustice didn't show very well IMO and almost put me to sleep, then UmvC3 was nearly the perfect final (wanted JWong ofc, but Flocker is a neat guy too) and SF resulted in Infiltration not winning, so I was very happy and the games were very very exciting. Now I don't know what to do, I miss EVO already.

Also, I would like to anti-thank the guy who gave the organizer an anime doll and an anime body pillow on behalf of the "Persona community". There's a reason people don't like the anime gaming community and its because they assume that we're all weirdo otakus like that. I don't even like anime, I just like the games. But there's nothing like having a really great final in Persona and topping it all off with embarrassing yourself and others in your community. Thanks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.