Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

Fighting Game Talk: A look back at EVO 2011 / 2k11

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

Edited By FLStyle

The EVO Championship Series continues to get bigger and better every year. It would be quite the understatement to say that 2011 was no exception. 1.1 million total unique views of an event that capped at 82,000 viewers (50,000 more than 2010). The Fighting Game Community is quickly rising and blowing up the Internet.

Highlights

8 year old Noah beating people left and right at Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Guaranteed to be a future EVO champion, Noah is on a level other 8 year olds could never reach.

I love the quote at the end by Seth Killian.

A pity it had to end but we'll see him again. Later on in the day Noah was given the "Rising Star" award, which I assume was invented on the spot just for him.

Aris commentates with, falls in love with, proposes to and then watches Kayo Police win at Tekken 6

Not many people may have seen this as it was on stream 2 which was doing the pools and semi-finals of BlazBlue, Tekken 6 and Mortal Kombat. But everyone who did agreed it was hillarious. You've got the English - Japanese barrier up front and then you've got the transgender dynamic. Childish people in the stream at the time aside, it was a perfect EVO moment. I certainly couldn't tell until it was pointed out to me. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Trish has manlier hands than Kayo Police does, speaking of which, once you see you can never unsee.

Tournament Finals

My personal favourites were the MK9 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Grand Finals, but the Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition matches leading up to the Grand final were amazing as the USA and Korea went up against Japan, including Daigo. I also enjoyed Tekken 6 despite the amount of Bob and after seeing BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II here for the first time I'd like to see it again.

Perfect Legend has been part of the MK scene from the beginning and has played Kung Lao from the beginning, never changing even after Kung Lao was nerfed. He took a back seat to Justin Wong's Kung Lao in the PDP MK9 Nationals (in which all players had to use PDP sticks) but at EVO were pads are perfectly legal Perfect Legeng won. His opponent RE0 was also a meber of the MK community and there was a fundraiser just to get him to EVO. Money well spent!

I was heavily emotinally invested in this match, under no circumstances did I want a Phoenix player to win. It isn't Phoenix herself that causes the problems, but the combination of her Dark Phoenix form and Level 3 X-Factor. Thank goodness it has been toned down for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

When PR Rog did what he did with Tron Bonne, wow. That's what EVO is all about. There was so much going into this with Justin Wong being beaten by PR Rog minutes before. And before that even we had friends Justin and Noel Brown havingto face each other. Noel even resorted to Phoenix and had a look of shame on his face when he won the first round using her.

I don't know if this will ever happen again, but as of Sunday, it's possible. Fuudo, Latif, Poongko and Daigo made a very memorable finals for SSFIV: AE. and with a level playing field post-patch, next year's EVO is wide open.

Make sure to check all of the finals matches online, they are out there.

Shout-outs

EVO Staff

Tom Cannon, Tony Cannon, Joey Cuellar and Seth Killian ran an amazing event this year. The new pool system and stream schedule they used worked perfectly, I hope it's used again next year. I don't know who was keeping the evo2k Twitter account running but they did a good job too.

Stream Production

Spooky and Haunts did as good of a job streaming EVO this year as I was expecting them to, was perfect. Team Spooky was who everyone wanted to get the Streaming job for this EVO and it was well worth it. Two groups who may not get too much praise who should are FinestKO and Offcast who ran Stream 2 on Friday and Saturday.

Commentary Team

A FLURRY OF PUNCHES! hahaha, no Adam Sessler wasn't commentating this year, he stayed far away from EVO 2k11, leaving only people who know what they're talking about to commentate. Seth Killian, James Chen, UltraDavid, Ryan Hunter, Aris, Skisonic, Keits, MarkMan, the Tekken community manager, the two dudes who commentated the BlazBlue finals and everyone who pitched in during the pools, consider yourselves saluted.

Giant Bomb Fighting Game Sub-Community!

16,000+ views and 1,150+ posts spanning across 58 pages is the current total for the Official EVO 2k11 Stream / Discussion thread. Not too shabby at all. It makes the 2k10 thread from last year look bare in comparison. The explosions in the Giant Bomb chatroom gave any Whiskey Media livestream a run for it's money. Well done to all. See you all next year!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By FLStyle

The EVO Championship Series continues to get bigger and better every year. It would be quite the understatement to say that 2011 was no exception. 1.1 million total unique views of an event that capped at 82,000 viewers (50,000 more than 2010). The Fighting Game Community is quickly rising and blowing up the Internet.

Highlights

8 year old Noah beating people left and right at Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Guaranteed to be a future EVO champion, Noah is on a level other 8 year olds could never reach.

I love the quote at the end by Seth Killian.

A pity it had to end but we'll see him again. Later on in the day Noah was given the "Rising Star" award, which I assume was invented on the spot just for him.

Aris commentates with, falls in love with, proposes to and then watches Kayo Police win at Tekken 6

Not many people may have seen this as it was on stream 2 which was doing the pools and semi-finals of BlazBlue, Tekken 6 and Mortal Kombat. But everyone who did agreed it was hillarious. You've got the English - Japanese barrier up front and then you've got the transgender dynamic. Childish people in the stream at the time aside, it was a perfect EVO moment. I certainly couldn't tell until it was pointed out to me. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Trish has manlier hands than Kayo Police does, speaking of which, once you see you can never unsee.

Tournament Finals

My personal favourites were the MK9 and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Grand Finals, but the Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition matches leading up to the Grand final were amazing as the USA and Korea went up against Japan, including Daigo. I also enjoyed Tekken 6 despite the amount of Bob and after seeing BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II here for the first time I'd like to see it again.

Perfect Legend has been part of the MK scene from the beginning and has played Kung Lao from the beginning, never changing even after Kung Lao was nerfed. He took a back seat to Justin Wong's Kung Lao in the PDP MK9 Nationals (in which all players had to use PDP sticks) but at EVO were pads are perfectly legal Perfect Legeng won. His opponent RE0 was also a meber of the MK community and there was a fundraiser just to get him to EVO. Money well spent!

I was heavily emotinally invested in this match, under no circumstances did I want a Phoenix player to win. It isn't Phoenix herself that causes the problems, but the combination of her Dark Phoenix form and Level 3 X-Factor. Thank goodness it has been toned down for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

When PR Rog did what he did with Tron Bonne, wow. That's what EVO is all about. There was so much going into this with Justin Wong being beaten by PR Rog minutes before. And before that even we had friends Justin and Noel Brown havingto face each other. Noel even resorted to Phoenix and had a look of shame on his face when he won the first round using her.

I don't know if this will ever happen again, but as of Sunday, it's possible. Fuudo, Latif, Poongko and Daigo made a very memorable finals for SSFIV: AE. and with a level playing field post-patch, next year's EVO is wide open.

Make sure to check all of the finals matches online, they are out there.

Shout-outs

EVO Staff

Tom Cannon, Tony Cannon, Joey Cuellar and Seth Killian ran an amazing event this year. The new pool system and stream schedule they used worked perfectly, I hope it's used again next year. I don't know who was keeping the evo2k Twitter account running but they did a good job too.

Stream Production

Spooky and Haunts did as good of a job streaming EVO this year as I was expecting them to, was perfect. Team Spooky was who everyone wanted to get the Streaming job for this EVO and it was well worth it. Two groups who may not get too much praise who should are FinestKO and Offcast who ran Stream 2 on Friday and Saturday.

Commentary Team

A FLURRY OF PUNCHES! hahaha, no Adam Sessler wasn't commentating this year, he stayed far away from EVO 2k11, leaving only people who know what they're talking about to commentate. Seth Killian, James Chen, UltraDavid, Ryan Hunter, Aris, Skisonic, Keits, MarkMan, the Tekken community manager, the two dudes who commentated the BlazBlue finals and everyone who pitched in during the pools, consider yourselves saluted.

Giant Bomb Fighting Game Sub-Community!

16,000+ views and 1,150+ posts spanning across 58 pages is the current total for the Official EVO 2k11 Stream / Discussion thread. Not too shabby at all. It makes the 2k10 thread from last year look bare in comparison. The explosions in the Giant Bomb chatroom gave any Whiskey Media livestream a run for it's money. Well done to all. See you all next year!

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By benpack

I don't mind Viscant's Phoenix, because he can actually play on her and doesn't rely on Dark Level 3.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I'm not liking the fact that every time the kid gets hit the crowd boos.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Vexxan

Kinda in mood for some goddamn fighting games now.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By emergency

@SethPhotopoulos said:

I'm not liking the fact that every time the kid gets hit the crowd boos.

Adds to the drama.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @GlenTennis said:

I don't mind Viscant's Phoenix, because he can actually play on her and doesn't rely on Dark Level 3.

Same here. Been following Viscant ever since he blew up Wednesday night fights when Justin wasn't attending anymore, and half the time he doesn't even need dark phoenix since his Wesker is probably one of the best out there. 
    DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By DougQuaid

Are the final matches between Justin Wong and PR Rog on Youtube? I walked away for a few minutes to get some food and missed all that madness.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emergency

I didn't see that kayo police live, mainly cause I hate tekken. So lolsy though, she's pretty attractive too.

DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DougQuaid
    @emergency said:

I didn't see that kayo police live, mainly cause I hate tekken. So lolsy though, she's pretty attractive too.

She's actually a man.
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By emergency

@DougQuaid said:

@emergency said:

She's actually a man.

I am aware.

nazer858

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nazer858

Great write-up / compilation of videos BlazBlue finals were dope too, even so early in the morning.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#12  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I have to say that I was kind of enjoying how badly Daigo lost to Poongko. It's probably my general appreciation of Seth combined with my general disdain for Yun, especially at the volume he was being used during the tournament. Then there's always that underdog thing going on. 

I didn't see the little kid or the kayo police stuff live though. That kid is pretty mindblowing, although I'm not sure if a fighting game tournament is the right place for an 8 year old to be. Thought that tekken commentary was pretty hilarious, even without the foreknowledge that Kayo Police is actually a dude (I never would've known otherwise.)

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

A really fun showing all-around. Aris is maybe my favorite fighting game personality.

Lifestrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lifestrike
    I think Blazblue won EVO this year.

In Mortal Kombat, I think it's pretty clear that Kung Lao might be a bit too strong. In Street Fighter IV, I think it's generally accepted that Yun is a little more powerful than he should be. Personally, I don't think MVC3 is terribly great tournament material; with 3 character on each side, it becomes nigh impossible to guarantee a game with equal matchups.

The combatants for the Blazblue finals may as well the same character - the match was so close and any kind of advantage that one character had encountered a swift riposte by the other.

The fact that those two characters were, in fact profoundly different from each other (more so even than characters in Street Fighter) is a testament to the craftsmanship of that game.

Incredible.

Edit: That being said, I did appreciate it when Poonko destroyed the tier lists.
    DougQuaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DougQuaid

Found it.

This is the first EVO I've actually watched and once I saw some of Noah's matches that were posted on Saturday, I pretty much watched everything until it was over. Tons of crazy stuff and a lot of fun to watch.
    Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Mystyr_E

was my first Evo and despite my horrible computer crashing frequently, it was fun 

my weird complaint is other than Blazblue, all the crowd (and my) favorites lost. I wanted Reo to win with his Mileena, he lost. PR Rog was kicking ass sans Phoenix, plus that Tron comeback...he lost. Latif's fan favorite and he lost. Was filled with a lot of epic mini-moments though but omg, the Ustream was damn irritating. Tekken fans, trolls, people in love with Kayo which I don't but was cool, would watch again

Skogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Skogen

Noah was all day-one combos. The crowd won him those matches, not his play.

WiqidBritt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By WiqidBritt
    @Skogen said:

I think it had more to do with Hulk and Sentinel's armored normals and above average health, he was more than happy to trade damage to connect with that standing heavy as a combo starter. It may have been relatively simple, but he knew what to do when he caught someone with it.
    emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By emergency

@Mystyr_E said:

was my first Evo and despite my horrible computer crashing frequently, it was fun my weird complaint is other than Blazblue, all the crowd (and my) favorites lost. I wanted Reo to win with his Mileena, he lost. PR Rog was kicking ass sans Phoenix, plus that Tron comeback...he lost. Latif's fan favorite and he lost. Was filled with a lot of epic mini-moments though but omg, the Ustream was damn irritating. Tekken fans, trolls, people in love with Kayo which I don't but was cool, would watch again

Crowd favourites are often underdogs, think you have to realise that. You should not even involve yourself in any kind of ustream chat.. surely you should know that. There was a relatively civilized giantbomb chat up that wasn't full of morons. I have no idea what you are trying to say about the kayo situation either :P

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#20  Edited By Mystyr_E
    @emergency: I meant the whole Evo was cool and would watch again cause I still don't get the Kayo fixation. And I prefer underdogs, I mean yeah Justin Wong and Daigo and Alex Valle are these great fighters but I've seen plenty of em so when some dude shows up and makes it far it kind of makes me go "hey I can do that......almost"
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Rhaknar

@Mystyr_E said:

@emergency: I meant the whole Evo was cool and would watch again cause I still don't get the Kayo fixation. And I prefer underdogs, I mean yeah Justin Wong and Daigo and Alex Valle are these great fighters but I've seen plenty of em so when some dude shows up and makes it far it kind of makes me go "hey I can do that......almost"

wonder how many dudes actually know that Kayo is in fact, a man (or was at least). Who´s the other famous "trap" from the fighting game community? 

Also, that Tron lvl 3 on pheonix to reset the set is DEFFINATELY a evo moment, so hype, watching tht live was awesome, imagine being in that room

ricetopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ricetopher
    soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By soldierg654342

I'm glad to see that at least some of the stuff with Aris and  Kayo Police is on YouTube. I saw almost all of it (had to leave before  Kayo Police's last set) and it was all golden. 

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Good shit.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Rhaknar
    @ricetopher said:

tthanks for that, made me laugh at work, luckyly there was noone around.  I still need to find out whats being said in the original of that video
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By McGhee

Kayo is definitely the hottest dude I've ever seen.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shiftymagician
    @ricetopher said:
    Oh god I love this so much.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Today I Learned:

That Kayo Police was born a male.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@GlenTennis said:

Yep. Dude worked for it!

DAT LEVEL 3 GRAB

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FLStyle

@ricetopher said:

That's brilliant, love it!

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@ricetopher said:

Soooo good

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FLStyle

@Rufi91 said:

Good times, thanks for that.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sooty

I was waiting for Tekken to finish and then I saw Kayo on the stream with Aris, so, so funny!
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#35  Edited By StarvingGamer

I have been a long time Viscant fan. He's always been a player that relies more on fighting smart than hard. So much thought goes into the teams he makes and he uses them to great effect. I don't know if I have a bigger mancrush on Viscant, UltraDavid, or Kayo Police o_O

Also Evo2k11 scored over 2 MILLION unique viewers. HYPE!

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FLStyle
    @Ygg said:

I was waiting for Tekken to finish and then I saw Kayo on the stream with Aris, so, so funny!
    Elmer Fudd would be proud haha

@StarvingGamer said:

I have been a long time Viscant fan. He's always been a play that relies more on fighting smart than hard. So much thought goes into the teams he makes and he uses them to great effect. I don't know if I have a bigger mancrush on Viscant, UltraDavid, or Kayo Police o_O

Also Evo2k11 scored over 2 MILLION unique viewers. HYPE!

Still amazed at the huge jump in viewers this year.
    linus_south

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By linus_south
    @Skogen said:

Only thing was He was actually doing option selects, A few wake up games most people don't even do and, A bunch of other high level stuff. If anything He was a bit intimidated by being on stage like that. Ask some people that actually know what the hell is going on with the game... They'll let you know. He didn't have flashiest combo's or anything of the sort but, He was playing at a high level and, Most importantly he's 8 years old. Was you doing combo's on stage in front of what 3k worth of people screaming when you got a hit at 8 years old?
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FLStyle
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#39  Edited By StarvingGamer

@FLStyle: lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.