Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

EVO Championship Series

Concept »

The World Fighting Game Championships in all but name. Since 2000, the Evolution Championship Series has been the most prominent fighting game tournament event. It features the best players from all over the world.

NorCal Regionals 2013 (26th-28th) Preview + New Divekick Characters and 1st Injustice high-profile tournament results

• 100 results
    ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

DAT DANTE S!!!!!!!

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By casper_

glad to see people exploring lower tier tech. tired of seeing people complaining about morridoom and banging their heads against the wall with mag-doom-vergil constantly. no creativity.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

SeñorTaxi YEAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Fuck that was the hypest thing I've seen this year

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chris G gets sent to losers a lot of times. It's a bigger deal if he gets eliminated before finals now.

If he gets eliminated without making it to top 8 though? That's a huge deal.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By StarvingGamer

@morbid_coffee said:

Chris G gets sent to losers a lot of times. It's a bigger deal if he gets eliminated before finals now.

If he gets eliminated without making it to top 8 though? That's a huge deal.

Yeah, but not by a guy as unremarkable and middle-of-the-road as SeñorTaxi

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Morbid_Coffee
    No Caption Provided

<3 Mr Wizard.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By FLStyle

Apparently some crazy stuff went down last night! I'll check the archive later.

Finals Day let's go!

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By casper_

chris g has some serious personality hang-ups... went in on koogy as well.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@flstyle said:

Apparently some crazy stuff went down last night! I'll check the archive later.

Finals Day let's go!

Basically Chris G lost, and he's blaming it on lag or some bullshit. To be fair, he was pulling a justin wong of late and making input errors and such, but so was his opponent and apparently Chris' (marvel character) Magnum goes through soul fist and can be followed up with stuff. Also Dante assist clears the sky soul fist.

I honestly see Chris G winning any rematches if he just picks a different team, or goes in more for a rush down, not letting Senoir taxi set up a screen filled with grenades.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

ChrisG has been pissy about PS3 lag in Marvel since Apex. He makes a big fucking stink about it every fucking time, but that hasn't stopped him from winning like the last 20 tournaments he's entered that ran the game on PS3.

It's a real shame because people were starting to say he was finally "growing up" and not doing this shit anymore, but I guess he's going back to old whiny Chris G after winning so many times. It's about time he gets his shit punched in by random players. Eat that humble pie and like it.

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Does iplaywinner not have archives or something? Wanted to some of the stuff on their stream but can't find the page on twitch.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FLStyle

@staticfalconar: @morbid_coffee: That's a shame, if only he kept his emotions to the matches and left them off Twitter.

@tafae: I checked and I don't see the video option where it usually is on other pages, I guess they're serious about their YouTube uploads.

SF has begun, Seth Killian and James Chen on commentary. No iPLAYWINNER stream today.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By thegoldencat7

What an asshat. He's still young and overly emotional. Maybe he'll grow out of it. Probably not, mind.

Anyway Team Spooky is live with NCR SF4 Top 16 action. Get hype!

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: yeah its a shame although that's been a thing in previous fighting games as well. 3s had chun, ken, yun and sometimes makoto and MvC2 had like 6 characters out of 50 that were usable. its mostly that some matchups in p4a make some of the characters irrelevant ie if a fantastic liz player runs into a mitsuru (which is seemingly very likely) that is a 7-3 matchup which is borderline unwinnable. it also doesn't help that these problems exist within such a small roster.

i cant forsee a P4a 2 but i really wish they would consider a patch or something else of that nature just to even out some of the rough matchups.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there VODs of P4A? I'll need something to watch during Magneto/Doom snorefests

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smcn: Waiting on IPW to start uploading its archive to YouTube, probably won't be today.

smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By smcn

@flstyle: Thanks for the quick reply & this thread. I don't play fighters but always get hype around Evo.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smcn: No problem, I'll be doing ones for UFGT9, CEO 2013 and EVO 2013 in the next 3 months too.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this tournament is nuts...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

F Champ got sent up the river, so sick

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltraSpooky on commentary for SFxT top 8, Spooky has proven that his knowledge of the game is of the highest calibre, nice to see him get some commentary time.

Speaking of commentary, that UMVC3 commentary from Magus and Darryh was the best I've heard from those two, they used to shout over each other so bad.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By StarvingGamer

Spooky has a giant brain.

SFxT may not be the most exciting game, but there's so much to appreciate on a technical level. Spooky really helps that.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infiltration crushes all in SFxT.

SSF4: AE 2012 top 8 up next.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sleepy time for me in UKLand, enjoy the rest of AE and Marvel.

Chibithor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By Chibithor

These last few games, man. So great. Good to see some less used characters too

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

And ChrisG is eliminated from SFIV. Nice matches.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By StarvingGamer

Ken/Sakura/Gen/Akuma top 4 lol whaaat

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gen vs. Akuma, I'm drooling right now at how perfect this is. Two masters playing two masters in grand finals.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XIAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By StarvingGamer

Bawwwwwwwwwww

EDIT: Nooo fucking heartbreak, I'm gonna be shocked if he runs Haggar on point vs Chris G

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

@flstyle said:

@smcn: Waiting on IPW to start uploading its archive to YouTube, probably won't be today.

As part of the IPLAYWINNER team (couldn't go to NCR though), content should be uploaded to YT ASAP, same for Team Spooky. We got the Senor Taxi vs Chris G match up though. For instant archive viewing, I believe subscribing to the IPW Twitch channel will provide archives. If not I will talk to Harrison about it.

ALSO PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3 PS3. Damn you chris.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like NCR has been a great success, the UFGT9 preview will be going up in 3 weeks.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Thanks for doing this, makes it a lot easier for me to keep track of this stuff since I stopped hitting SRK regularly.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

<3 Mr Wizard.

Haha, can't acknowledge his own errors nor the solid play of his opponent, and instead blames the hardware.

What a child.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: chris g is obviously immature and hyper emotional but to be fair the ps3 is kind of notorious for dropping frames/lag. thats the reason all the marvel matches are done in training mode ( i think street fighter was like that as well)

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By FLStyle

Gootecks did a bunch of videos for GameSpot eSports over the weekend.

Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...
    Loading Video...

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By StarvingGamer

@flstyle: Gootecks looks so fucking tired hahaha

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By BisonHero

@casper_: Yeah, but it's just such a shitty excuse when it's obviously going to affect both competitors in any given match, and ChrisG still lost 3-1.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly Chris should simply admit his excuse of PS3 lag is pretty weak (even though I can see it may arise with the astral vision soulfists, but hes surely played/won enough of this game to already know how to adjust???) and accept he lost to senor taxi. Even his losers bracket game against apologyman was incredibly close (which I feel if apologyman held his nerve, possibly could have taken it, he got talked to and you could visibly see he got super anxious, to the point where the 5th round was him just not doing anything right at all)

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've found myself rooting for Chris in Marvel a lot recently, things like this always make me regret it though. In the interview with Gootecks he says he's not going to practice on PS3 at all, if he loses EVO I know he'll blame the PS3.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#93  Edited By Phished0ne

@optix12 said:

Honestly Chris should simply admit his excuse of PS3 lag is pretty weak (even though I can see it may arise with the astral vision soulfists, but hes surely played/won enough of this game to already know how to adjust???) and accept he lost to senor taxi. Even his losers bracket game against apologyman was incredibly close (which I feel if apologyman held his nerve, possibly could have taken it, he got talked to and you could visibly see he got super anxious, to the point where the 5th round was him just not doing anything right at all)

Chris' feet got held to the fire a bunch this weekend, first Senor taxi knocking him into losers. Then Apologyman, then Ranmasama and KaneBlueRiver both gave him a run for his money. I really think big body/high health characters are a big problem for his team. Especially Hulk, the armor on Gamma charge allows him to get in real fast. Even if he misses, his health is so high he can usually wait out one astral and get a 2nd or 3rd chance.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#94  Edited By Sooty

@bisonhero said:

@morbid_coffee said:
    No Caption Provided

<3 Mr Wizard.

Haha, can't acknowledge his own errors nor the solid play of his opponent, and instead blames the hardware.

What a child.

The PS3 version of the game is bad though and the delay isn't the only issue with it.

Dunno why people think training mode helps on PS3, it still lags every time assists get called.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

Nobody's saying the PS3 version isn't bad. People are making fun of Chris' bitching because 90% of tournaments have been using PS3 versions of these games for over 5 years now, and he's managed to win most of them in the last year. He's had more than enough time to get used to the delay, and if he wants to make excuses instead, then too fucking bad take the loss and deal with it.

The only other people that can match Chris G in whining are Ricky Ortiz when he gets his panties in a bunch when Justin Wong or PR Balrog lose, or F.Champ who thinks he's the best fucking thing since sliced bread until he loses, then he runs away to his stream, sets it on subscriber mode, and talks shit behind their back like an old, gossiping fucking wash woman.

I like fighting games, and I like the FGC. But there's a lot of people in it that really need to grow the fuck up.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By BisonHero
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody's saying the PS3 version isn't bad. People are making fun of Chris' bitching because 90% of tournaments have been using PS3 versions of these games for over 5 years now, and he's managed to win most of them in the last year. He's had more than enough time to get used to the delay, and if he wants to make excuses instead, then too fucking bad take the loss and deal with it.

The only other people that can match Chris G in whining are Ricky Ortiz when he gets his panties in a bunch when Justin Wong or PR Balrog lose, or F.Champ who thinks he's the best fucking thing since sliced bread until he loses, then he runs away to his stream, sets it on subscriber mode, and talks shit behind their back like an old, gossiping fucking wash woman.

I like fighting games, and I like the FGC. But there's a lot of people in it that really need to grow the fuck up.

It's the double-edged sword of the FGC, they've got more personality than all of eSports combined, but leads to problems like this.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flstyle: Fighting games have the best chance of breaking into the stratosphere of popularity, but some of the people that are at the top of the game are going to be the biggest hurdle at any shot at acceptance outside of the group that enjoys the hell out of these competitions.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By casper_

i do often wonder what the deal is. i looked at my twitch app and some riot stream had like 160 thousand people watching compared to the 30k which NCR got (which i considered very impressive). the FGC is an interesting and diverse group of people i just wish it was less accepted within the community to use racial/homophobic slurs. i think it could be basically exactly the same kinda blue collar, tough, weird community just without people flipping out about xian's "gay" hair or stream monsters saying nasty things about ricky or champ dropping the n word like 7 times a fucking second.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By FLStyle

@drdarkstryfe said:

@flstyle: Fighting games have the best chance of breaking into the stratosphere of popularity, but some of the people that are at the top of the game are going to be the biggest hurdle at any shot at acceptance outside of the group that enjoys the hell out of these competitions.

Agreed. Or, they could be accepted and have a big fall when these incidents happen on a much larger scale.

@casper_ said:

i do often wonder what the deal is. i looked at my twitch app and some riot stream had like 160 thousand people watching compared to the 30k which NCR got (which i considered very impressive). the FGC is an interesting and diverse group of people i just wish it was less accepted within the community to use racial/homophobic slurs. i think it could be basically exactly the same kinda blue collar, tough, weird community just without people flipping out about xian's "gay" hair or stream monsters saying nasty things about ricky or champ dropping the n word like 7 times a fucking second.

Could be people perpetuating the culture that came before them, could be a working class/middle class divide thing, could be something completely different. I'm not sure there's any one answer.

I do have more concrete ideas about the stream viewer numbers though, one being production value differences, the other being target audiences. People watching streams are primarily PC users, not console users. It's only natural that the 160 thousand PC users flock to the PC games' streams.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.