Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Evochron Mercenary

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 17, 2010

Evochron Mercenary is a space combat, trader, and exploration simulation.

Is this any good?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

Saw this on the Steam top sellers page and was curious, having bought X3: Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude during the sale and not liking those, I could use a space game with a bit more structure/fun. Is it worth a look?

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Subjugation

I am also interested in hearing opinions on this after reading some hype about it on GAF. I've been burned too many times on these space sim games to make another blind purchase.

krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By krazy_kyle

I was close to buying this I just need some reasons for buying it. It looks brilliant and I can finally fly into a planets atmosphere which I've always wanted to do and then explore but I heard from some reviews that the actual gameplay is quite shallow and gets boring after a while so I don't want to spend £15 if thats the case. I need to hear from a non biased source if it's good or not.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By selbie

I've played the previous game Legends but eventually gave up because the menu lag was always terrible. This one seems to have improved that.

It's an open-world game like X3 but without the massive learning curve. The most notable thing is the ability to seamlessly fly to a planet surface from space. Combat is still a little awkward (personal opinion) but I never got into it much in the previous game anyway so my opinion on that doesn't count for much. The best thing I love about Evochron is the navigation because you can travel anywhere you want using a fairly easy to understand interface.

Just be aware that this game is from a tiny developer. I'm not sure if it's still just one dude, but it's small. So don't expect a high quality game in terms of amazing graphics or gameplay. Only buy this if you love to explore, mine and trade solo without much of a story.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
    DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

@selbie: Thank you so much; I wish you'd put that into a review (where I would have seen it 30 seconds sooner). With so little else on the website about this game, it would make the decision to buy or not so much clearer.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ekajarmstro

I just got it this morning and am going to go play it again right now, so I don't have much of an opinion. However, the fact it uses a flight model based loosely on Newtonian physics is really cool (but it might be a turn off to a lot of people). The community is probably pretty much non-existent, but the fact it even has multiplayer seems awesome (assuming it works). Apparently it was only made by one person.

benjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By benjoe
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikemcn
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Ravenlight
    jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By jaqen_hghar

I played it for about 75 minutes yesterday. It has a learning curve, but once you get how the co-ordinates work on the map, how to mine, sell, fight etc, then I think this can be damned fun.

I think it would be even more fun to play with a group of people though. If I had a server-computer I could leave on 24/7, or enough money to rent a small server, I would start a Giant Bomb universe where we could work together or something.

I also like how you can slide around the parts you put on your ship, and that you can mix and match the hull, cargo-bay, shields, wings for planetary flight etc. But be warned, it is a slow game.

Eraser74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eraser74

I bought this game from Steam and I think this is one of the better space sims. The interface is good, the flightdynamics are great and the graphics are good too, considering that this is made by one person. I immediately got the Freelancer feeling from it, in terms of control and look.

The idea of a Giantbomb server is great, I would definately be flying on that one. Tried the multiplayer once and landed on a roleplaying server, which is also great that people put up roleplaying servers at all for this game.

If anyone is interested slightly in space sims, this is the game for you.

Really digging it.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Example1013

Any updates on someone getting a server going? This game seems pretty interesting, but I don't really have any desire to play single-player, so I haven't purchased it yet.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Spoonman671

I need a Quick Look.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikemcn

I tried the demo and skipped the tutorial, bad idea, spent 10 minutes rotating in the dock since I couldn't accelerate. I'll have to go back and go through the part where you actually play.

Onisama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Onisama

I would also like a quick look of this. Have been hovering over the "Add to Cart" button on steam for a week or so now, but haven't made the dive quite yet...

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Spoonman671
    @Onisama said:

I would also like a quick look of this. Have been hovering over the "Add to Cart" button on steam for a week or so now, but haven't made the dive quite yet...

According to Dave, there should be a quick look of this game and SOL: Exodus coming very soon.
    Onisama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Onisama

@Spoonman671 said:

@Onisama said:

According to Dave, there should be a quick look of this game and SOL: Exodus coming very soon.

Nice! A friend and I are probably going to bite the bullet and try it out, whilst recording a series of videos showing how incompetent we are at the game. Should be good for a laugh even if the game turns out to be mediocre!

In the mean time, trying out X3: Albion Prelude to further reinforce how terrible I am at these kinds of games.

martinc6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By martinc6

Tried out the tutorial in the demo and it's really well-done, the spaceflight and combat all seems solid and entering a planet's atmosphere is pretty fun. There are even more training videos on the developer's site. Seems like a fun game, but we'll see after some real playtime.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By selbie

Someone should set up a GB multiplayer server for this. We need more Bombing Runs in space.

Gloobus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gloobus

A couple friends and I bought this game a couple weeks ago and have been messin around with it for a couple hours. We currently play on our own little server but if we got a Giantbomb community server setup I'm sure they'd be all up for joining that one. All the saves are local anyway, just who you share the galaxy with on the server side. There's one thing that makes me sad and that's the actual combat, it seems like it's way too hard, or maybe my ship just needs actual upgrades to my shields or something so I can take hits.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Devil240Z

@Vaspire said:

A couple friends and I bought this game a couple weeks ago and have been messin around with it for a couple hours. We currently play on our own little server but if we got a Giantbomb community server setup I'm sure they'd be all up for joining that one. All the saves are local anyway, just who you share the galaxy with on the server side. There's one thing that makes me sad and that's the actual combat, it seems like it's way too hard, or maybe my ship just needs actual upgrades to my shields or something so I can take hits.

+1 vote for GB server.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

What kind of multiplayer does this game have? How many players does it support?

This game looks pretty awesome and good multiplayer would seal the deal for me.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Jost1

I just started playing this and I would love a GB server too

Gloobus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gloobus

The multiplayer in this game is identical to the singleplayer. The only thing I think you can't do on multiplayer servers is the race contracts, but that's ok cause those suck. Like I said in my previous post, you have a single save for your pilot that's used for both singleplayer and multiplayer. It's also saved locally on your PC, don't think it has any steamcloud save system yet.

jupham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jupham

Yeah, I think a Giant Bomb Server would be fun. I'm really enjoying the single player but it would be interesting to see other people in the world. I'm not sure how much running a server for this would cost though.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By abendlaender

So seeing that it as on todays Steam Sale: How is the game?

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By grayfox1210

I think it's actually a lot of fun. Also a good game to just chill with and just do some flying both in space and on different worlds.

stustap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By stustap

Thinking of picking this up. Was intrigued by the Quick Look a few months ago - never played a space sim before, but something about this appealed to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.