Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

E.X. Troopers

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Nov 22, 2012

A 3DS/PS3 spin off of Capcom's "Lost Planet" franchise, designed in a Graphic Novel/Manga style setting involving teenagers.

E.X. Troopers - 3DS Demo & PS3 Gameplay

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

Capcom still has no plans to release E.X. Troopers in the West, but I thought I'd post this new gameplay footage of the upcoming demo regardless. Japanese 3DS owners, me included, get our hands on this demo next week on October 17th. The demo consists of one single- player mission and two co'op multi-player missions.

I've also added some new PS3 gameplay for good measure ;)

3DS MP Demo Gameplay

PS3 Version Gameplay

Capcom have also recently announced this:

No Caption Provided
    • More than 20 songs
    • Due out in Japan on November 21, 2012
    • 2,415 yen
    • One disc

EX Troopers is scheduled to release in Japan on November 22 on the Nintendo 3DS for 5,990 yen

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jewunit

I am looking forward to playing the demo on PSN. I liked the look of the game enough to pre-order it, but it would be nice to know that it plays well.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By BlackLagoon

Having played a fair bit of Lost Planet 2... This game looks bizarre. It's feels like a low-budget anime rip-off. I wonder how many Lost Planet 2 conventions they kept, like the mad grinding or the deliberate (/clunky) controls.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@BlackLagoon said:

Having played a fair bit of Lost Planet 2... This game looks bizarre. It's feels like a low-budget anime rip-off. I wonder how many Lost Planet 2 conventions they kept, like the mad grinding or the deliberate (/clunky) controls.

I haven't seen anything that suggests it's low budget, it looks like a quality cell-shaded title to me, blatantly built from MML3 tech, despite what Capcom says...

As far as the controls are concerned, they do look significantly lighter than LP's. It looks like you have a directional dash and some acrobatic melee moves, which should aid that feeling.

The grinding may be there, it appears to be native focused.

It looks like the kind of game that will run smoothly in MP, that's the component which appeals to me the most, I have no interest in the LP universe, so little interest in the singleplayer, but I of course still hope it's solid and enjoyable.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Wong_Fei_Hung: I'm not graphics connoisseur, but it seems obvious that EX Troopers on the PS3 has much less detailed models and animations, and far simpler environments than LP2. For comparison:

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@BlackLagoon said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung: I'm not graphics connoisseur, but it seems obvious that EX Troopers on the PS3 has much less detailed models and animations, and far simpler environments than LP2. For comparison:

Are you seriously comparing a game made in the cell shade style, to a game attempting stylistic realism?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Wong_Fei_Hung: I am comparing it to the previous game in the series. And it looks much lower budget. Cel-shading doesn't excuse the flat ground surfaces and general lack of detail, look at Borderlands 2 for example.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

@BlackLagoon said:

@Wong_Fei_Hung: I am comparing it to the previous game in the series. And it looks much lower budget. Cel-shading doesn't excuse the flat ground surfaces and general lack of detail, look at Borderlands 2 for example.

That's where you're going wrong, it's an ill comparison to make.

Terrain and textures, have never been things I look for in a cell-shaded games, I expect to see the complete opposite, because that's what cell-shading is all about. Borderlands is not a great example of the cell-shade style, it's a quasi version mixed with realistic elements. I suggest you look at The Wind Waker, a true cell shaded game widely regarded as being one of the best examples of it's kind, if not thee best. Take note of the textures and flat surfaces, you can do the same with Killer 7 also.

The cell-shade style mimics hand painted cartoon cells, not realism.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

I'm playing the 3DS demo now, it's really good but a little short on the SP section.

3DS Gameplay Demo (30mins)

thetrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thetrin

Played the PS3 demo last night and loved it. The single player is very much a tutorial, so after playing through it, I hopped into multi. Now that really is the meat of the game. Great combat with teammates, and using melee attacks to continue combos or stun enemies is a lot of fun. The jet pack makes maneuvering much faster, and using it to dodge an attack gives you a frame of invincibility.

I'm curious to see how weapon unlocking works in the full game. I have a feeling the parts you pick up in levels will be used to forge more gear, which I'm always up for.

Wong_Fei_Hung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wong_Fei_Hung

I love the 3DS demo, I can also see how much fun it will be in MP.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By GunstarRed

I didn't know the demo was out until today. Man I love the hell out of the way this game plays. It's simplistic, plays nothing like Lost Planet and while it does have a PS2-ness about its environments the anime style is quite striking. All of the character designs are great. Playing through the short co-op missions was a ton of fun, there's so much shit going on with lasers and people dashing all over the place. Really, really gamey, I'm so glad this is cool as I really despised Lost Planet 2 after enjoying the first game a ton.

It let me jetpack-boost kick an Akrid to death which was pretty great.

cannonballbam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cannonballbam

The demo was great. I am playing through it a second time right now.

It definitely contains the same framework as the Lost Planet series. I really like the design and cut-scenes.

The only thing that bothers me is how all over the place the frame rate gets. 20-30 while in combat and 40-60 while in cut-scenes.

edit: I really hope this makes it way to the US. I have more ambition to play this than Lost Planet 3.

@Wong_Fei_Hung: Have they said if the 3DS version will support more than local multi-player?

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By cosi83

Demo was fantastic. Beautiful looking with smooth game play. Fitting music also. Played demo's of this, Yakuza 5, DMC and Kens Rage 2 at this girls house on the outskirts of Shanghai today. It has been 5 months since I played a console release! Great day was had

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.