New Capcom game "E.X. Trooper", thoughts?

#1 Posted by cannonballBAM (601 posts) -

Capcom announced a spin off to Lost Planet in the form of Manga/Graphic Novel stylization using high school kids on EDN-3.

Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wr1HMERZcBs

Is anyone else interested, it is set for launch in japan on the N3DS and PS3. No word on an American release yet.

I am not a huge anime fan or anything but the concept and look intrigues me. It is partially why I was interested in games like Catherine or even the Metal Gear Digital Graphic Novel. Anyone else?

#2 Edited by GunstarRed (5100 posts) -

Oh I wasn't expecting that from a Lost Planet game. The art is really nice and the jumping out of comic book-like panels stuff looks cool. The gameplay parts in the video look really dull though. Might be fun though and that style on the 3DS with shit flying out at you could be really awesome to look at.

#3 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

.... High school kids? Fuckin A.

Yup, dumb looking character designs and I'm pretty sure an upskirt and a half occur.

This is for jerks, and you all know what I'm getting at.

#4 Posted by JackSukeru (5908 posts) -

Just listened to the 8-4 podcast and they mentioned it, I was interested in it from what they said but that trailer completely put me off.

#5 Posted by cannonballBAM (601 posts) -

@RockmanBionics: Ah man, that is unfortunate. The game seems to give a complete eastern vibe but I think the aesthetic is great and would befit the 3DS. It would almost be ridiculous to not release in the US considering how cornered the markets are for serious portables and their mostly eastern developed software.

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (9773 posts) -

Everything about this sounds like mid 90s kids programming. And maybe that's awesome in its own way.

#7 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

This is for jerks

agreed.

#8 Edited by hifi (17 posts) -

Wasn't expecting a direction like this! Looks good and I think I actually like the comic style but it's hard to believe it's a Lost Planet game. This will sell well (in Japan).

#9 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

It looks alright. And it reuses assets from MML3 so I'm sure someone's going to buy it just for that.

#10 Posted by Andorski (5239 posts) -

Seems totally out of touch of what the Lost Planet series is about. And really, when is the answer to anything ever been "add high school kids."?

#11 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Andorski said:

Seems totally out of touch of what the Lost Planet series is about. And really, when is the answer to anything ever been "add high school kids."?

*remembers Valkyria Chronicles 2*

Never.

That being said, this looks alright.

#12 Posted by BaconGames (3358 posts) -

I find it interesting they're adopting Western comic-book style shader stuff but keeping actual aesthetic anime. Seems interesting, don't know what the game is. I have to say that by now you know where you stand on this shit (high school kids as protagonists) so there's not point in dragging it out.

#13 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@MordeaniisChaos said:

.... High school kids? Fuckin A.

Yup, dumb looking character designs and I'm pretty sure an upskirt and a half occur.

This is for jerks, and you all know what I'm getting at.

Yup, one of the rules of the Holy Church of Gerstmann is what you're getting at. 
Boy I'm so glad this community is the "best on the internet" and "the most mature" sometimes.
#14 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4963 posts) -

I'm a jerk and I liked what I saw.

Never played a Lost Planet game before, but this video made me want to play this one.

#15 Posted by Gooddoggy (409 posts) -

Not having played Lost Planet, this actually looks kind of interesting.

#16 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1817 posts) -

will that dumb meme ever die?

#17 Posted by Sammo21 (3251 posts) -

I think the weirdest thing is the platforms...3ds and ps3?  Why not 3ds and vita?   

@Andorski: Up to this point I always thought the Lost Planet series was about being shitty,

#18 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4963 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

will that dumb meme ever die?

Never. Because this is the internet and as long GB is alive, this meme is alive.

#19 Posted by Vestigial_Man (311 posts) -

It seems a really interesting strategy for the franchise. As opposed to the Japanese developed games for western markets that LP 1 and 2 were that ended up as neither fish nor fowl, they have a western team developing LP3 for western markets and another game squarely aimed at Japan. This lets the franchise appeal to both markets (in theory) in different forms and I think it's pretty much genius. It all depends on the quality of each game though so it could leave them with 2 failed games instead of 1 if they screw up.

#20 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@Andorski said:

Huh? The main protag in the first game was a teenager and the second game's story is straight out of Macross. Sorry mate, but you're actually out of touch with the LP mythos.

#21 Posted by Andorski (5239 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Andorski said:

Huh? The main protag in the first game was a teenager and the second game's story is straight out of Macross. Sorry mate, but you're actually out of touch with the LP mythos.

Was the protagonist in LP1 a high school kid?

#22 Posted by cannonballBAM (601 posts) -

@Andorski said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Andorski said:

Was the protagonist in LP1 a high school kid?

He was a teenager son of a miner on EDN-3. The reason he never came back was because he was modeled after Korean actor, Byung-hun Lee.

#23 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@SeriouslyNow: wasn't he sorta forced into his role in the first game? and wasn't he on the border of being not a teen?

#24 Posted by Illuminosopher (320 posts) -

PS3 and 3DS ? I wonder if they mean Vita/3DS if not that is a strange spread for a game to be on.

#25 Posted by JackSukeru (5908 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

It looks alright. And it reuses assets from MML3 so I'm sure someone's going to buy it just for that.

It does? I was just wondering if this was the thing the ML3 team moved on to after that project was cancelled.

#26 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: If you're trying to suggest I'm immature for thinking a game that sexualizes women in really dumb ways, and puts youths into ridiculous situations, go right ahead. I don't mind that people like this stuff, I just think their jerks and don't find it interesting myself :3

#27 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

@RockmanBionics: This is the picture I saw, I'm sure there are more out there that make it more clear. Someone actually said the devs confirmed it themselves, but I have a hard time believing that.

#28 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@SeriouslyNow: wasn't he sorta forced into his role in the first game? and wasn't he on the border of being not a teen?

Still a teen. And LP2's story is batshit crazy too.

#29 Posted by JackSukeru (5908 posts) -

@Jack268: Hm, well it makes sense that they would do that if they had already created a bunch of assets. It makes me wonder though if MML having the artstyle that it does and them having created assets for a game like that was a factor when they came up with this idea of mixing this artstyle with LP.

#30 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

New TGS Trailer

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.