Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Excitebots: Trick Racing

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 20, 2009

The fourth installment to the Excite franchise introduces players to the ExciteBots and one of the most original, or insane, racing games for the Wii.

Excitebots only sells 13,000 in the month of April

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64
    Kotaku Link

Wow, this is really sad.  I own the game and really enjoy it.  Not even the packed in Wii Wheel helped sell the game.  Maybe this is going to be like Zack and Wiki, a sleeper hit.  If you own a Wii, you have to at least check the game out.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

That's what happens when you make a game that, visually, appeals to kids that are 8 years old. The people with money are too embarassed to buy it.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By DJ_Lae
    Vinchenzo said:
    That's what happens when you make a game that, visually, appeals to kids that are 8 years old. The people ... [more]

Yeah, the animal designs look like dollar store kids' toy rejects.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Godwind

There happens to be a lack of appeal for me as a Wii owner to pick up this game.  Also, consider that Mario Kart sold last year.  Not everyone is going to change for this game, even if it was better.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By KingBroly

I don't think the game had any marketing behind it.  Like most great Nintendo games that have come out on the Wii.

coughcoughmetroidcoughprimecoughcoughthreecoughcoughcough

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJOR64
    KingBroly said:
    I don't think the game had any marketing behind it.  Like most great Nintendo games that have come out on ... [more]
    Actually, I don't think I have seen any commercials for this game.  Bad move Nintendo.
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Heartagram

Honestly i don't have the urge to ever buy a Wii game i rent most of the games that are meant for more hardcore people. The Wii is a party machine and its hard to get people to play more gamer focused games with you

Skambu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Skambu

It doesn't appeal to hardcore gamers that much, and not to casuals that much either... it's in a sort of limbo.
    If I get a Wii, I'll at least try it out.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By AgentJ

Is anyone suprised by this? It got no exposure in the mainstream press or advertisements, and most gamers know it's essentially excite truck, so this game gives us an example of how NOT to promote your game

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Endogene

It wouldn't surprise me if they are aiming for high sales on the long runs. Great game, really need more people online so I'll have less trouble winning stars. 

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am not very surprised. It just looks way too similar, aesthetically, to Excite Truck, and it has had very poor marketing behind it. Shame.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By keyhunter

If they had called it Mario-a-Truck it probably would have sold 15 billion units like mario kart wii sold.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tekmojo
    keyhunter said:
    If they had called it Mario-a-Truck it probably would have sold 15 billion units like mario kart wii sold. [more]

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bjorno

I still want to buy EXITE-TRUCK, but I cannot find it for less than $50.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JJOR64
    bjorno said:
    I still want to buy EXITE-TRUCK, but I cannot find it for less than $50.
    It is kinda weird that it's still $50.  Either way, Excite Truck is still a fun game to play.
    daz0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By get2sammyb

They didn't really build it up though did they? I mean - suddenly it was announced, there was a trailer and then it was out. It was weird.

It does look really fun and, had it actually come out in Europe, I would have bought it. It's a shame in that sense.

Wii sales are all over the place these days. I mean, Wii Fit STILL consistently tops the UK sales charts, and you still get the likes of Wii Play and Mario Kart lingering. Particularly with the appeal of Mario Kart I thought this game would have done much better.

EDIT: I'm not saying Wii Fit, Wii Play or Mario Kart are bad games; I particularly think Wii Fit is excellent for what it is. I just find it strange that virtually every Wii game that comes out essentially has to compete with games that came out years previous. It's almost like - "Want a racing game on Wii? Get Mario Kart, nothing else matters." -- which is stupid. It would be like not buying Burnout on PS3/360 because the system already has Motorstorm/PGR4.

It's such a radically different and unpredictable market that I don't think anyone really understands it. I don't see how developers can put resources behind the Wii when the success-fail ratio is so all over the place. On one hand you have games like Raving Rabids that's got lucky and continued to sell well, but on the other hand you have something like ExciteBots that has just bombed for no real reason. It ticks all the boxes: family friendly, critically well received, attractive concept, easy to pick up and play, playable by the hardcore and the casual -- I can only assume that the lack of build-up is what caused the game to bomb.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

Well that sucks.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's only something like a week to ten days of sales... Wii games have long legs. We constantly hear of Wii games bombing then after a year half of them turn out to have been half or full million sellers. If anything it will at least get similar sales to Truck which eventually accumulated something like half a million sales also? Sure, it was a launch title, but then again the install base has increased considerably since then so it should even out. It's also bundled with the wheel, that should help it keep up, as long as it actually stays on shelves. It's a word of mouth type of game, much like Truck. People see it and look away if they don't know the franchise.. Then a friend who has played it or they play it with convinces them otherwise because it's just that good. Also, it's $40 without the wheel yeah? Go buy it people.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Meowayne
    get2sammyb said:
    They didn't really build it up though did they? I mean - suddenly it was announced, there was a trailer ... [more]
    Don't forget the incredibly easy and incredibly awesome softmod Wii piracy.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yeah, piracy isn't the main reason. Checking on the most popular torrent website (out of curiocity, my Wii isn't even homebrewed) it's got less than 155 seeders and 65 leechers (more seeders than leechers?!), which is pretty much zero by piracy standards and shows there's simply no interest in the title (and that Wii piracy really isn't that widespread, despite how easy people say it is -- after all, it was just as easy on PSOne and PS2, but it didn't stop the multi million sellers on those, and it hasn't stopped them on the Wii). The problem is even gamers don't know it's been released judging by responses on various websites. And of them, half just go "looks shitty anyway" like they haven't even checked out any previews, impressions or reviews on the very same websites they saw this bit of news on. I still see a prominent "wtf they should keep trucks" mentality which I thought would be gone after all the positive press that should have reassured fans this sequel is in the same spirit, and a lot better too. I guess many missed the memo, somehow. So, for the reasons in my last response, it should get better as more people realise it's released, and is actually damn good. It's not destined to be a hit, but perhaps a cult hit just like Truck was. Also, piracy isn't awesome.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By gearhead

No marketing, that was the problem. If the game had some commericals, it would sell pretty good. I mean Transformers, and Cars. Come on, instant sucess. 

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By bwooduhs

Wow, BOOM!

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ninjakiller

Nintendo has pursued a strategy of pissing off the hardcore gamers/Nintendo fans who stood by them during the N64/Gamecube years by focusing on "casual" gamers.  It's not my fault that I could care less at this point about new Wii releases and haven't turned on my Wii in 4 months while I use my PS3 almost daily.  I guess the only thing Nintendo has to comfort themselves is their billions and billions of dollars.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By get2sammyb
    ninjakiller said:
    Nintendo has pursued a strategy of pissing off the hardcore gamers/Nintendo fans who stood by them during the N64/Gamecube years ... [more]
    I'm in a similar boat to you, but to be fair; Excitebots looks like a game that should please everybody. This certainly isn't a "casual" game.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#26  Edited By Meowayne
    ninjakiller said:
    Nintendo has pursued a strategy of pissing off the hardcore gamers/Nintendo fans who stood by them during the N64/Gamecube years ... [more]
    Yes. Yes it is. It is entirely your fault.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.