Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Extreme Violence

Concept »

Extreme violence pertains to excessive amounts of blood, gore, or violent acts. These include decapitation, mutilation, dismemberment, amputation, defenestration, disembowelment, torture and much more.

Violence in video games.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Player1

A little while back I came across this gameoverthinker video on screwattack. It really got me thinking, and I assume it will get you thinking as well. I just posted this in a thread, but figured it would be easier to discuss here. I know the video is long, but bare with it. You will learn so much, and a lot will make sense. 

I think its safe to say that right now, we aren't approaching the violence argument like we should. Like he states, we need to fight smart, we can't stoop to their level. We have the upper hand, so we need to play it. 

Also, maybe the wii isn't hurting gaming like we thought? Is it taking away the hardcore...or is it helping gaming's overall image to the mass public? 

discuss.
    AngryKraut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By AngryKraut

Interesting. I've never paid much attention to the violence and video game debate, mostly because here in Canada I think its less of an issue.
    I agree with a lot of stuff in the video, and he brings up a good point at 6:40 that causal gamers are helping us, not killing the industry.
    I'm guilty of condemning the Wii and people who play it, but now I realize that the more people who play games, and the more diverse, the
    more people we'll have backing video games. good video!

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Akeldama

good video and good find. 

his point about the Wii is incredibly valid. 
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Player1
    @AngryKraut said:
    " Interesting. I've never paid much attention to the violence and video game debate, mostly because here in Canada I think its less of an issue. I agree with a lot of stuff in the video, and he brings up a good point at 6:40 that causal gamers are helping us, not killing the industry.I'm guilty of condemning the Wii and people who play it, but now I realize that the more people who play games, and the more diverse, the more people we'll have backing video games. good video! "
    Exactly. I actually just recently wrote a speech persuading people not to buy the wii. But in all honesty...its helping our image as a community so much. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60

Good video.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    @Claude said:
    " I love my goddamn Wii. They call me... Hardcore Casual. "
    i say it again, BURN THE WITCH !
    Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By Optiow

I agree with the thing he is saying about playing violent video games because they are rebellious. I also agree with the casual gamers and harcore gamers thing, we should not be arguing about that. A lot of this makes sense, nice video.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

That was a very good video. Not necessarily something I would recommend to anyone I know that isn't a gamer to watch but it was enjoyable.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Player1
    @Agnogenic said:
    " That was a very good video. Not necessarily something I would recommend to anyone I know that isn't a gamer to watch but it was enjoyable. "

@CL60 said:
    " Good video. "

@Optiow said:
    " I agree with the thing he is saying about playing violent video games because they are rebellious. I also agree with the casual gamers and harcore gamers thing, we should not be arguing about that. A lot of this makes sense, nice video. "
    Thanks to all three of you. Really gets you thinking right? Theres 25 of them, and all of them are this good. He just sees games through a different set of eyes. And makes incredible points in the process. 
    AngryKraut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AngryKraut

I just watched Reality Sucks, and I have to say i disagree with him entirely. He made good points in Violence for Video games, and even changed my views on the Wii. But in this video he
    makes no sense and goes on pointless rants. I do agree with him when he rants about the real world at 2:40 though lol

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wolverine

Personally I don't like seeing violence in any form of media but I don't have much of a problem with it being out there. I think it is pretty ridiculous that nudity isn't aloud in games but violence is. That doesn't make logical sense at all.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Snipzor
    @AngryKraut said:
    " I just watched Reality Sucks, and I have to say i disagree with him entirely. He made good points in Violence for Video games, and even changed my views on the Wii. But in this video hemakes no sense and goes on pointless rants. I do agree with him when he rants about the real world at 2:40 though lol "
    Be specific, you say "i disagree with him entirely" but you don't say exactly what. Is it the comparison to other medias from a historical perspective? Come on, be more specific.
    AngryKraut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AngryKraut
    @Snipzor said:
    " @AngryKraut said:
    " I just watched Reality Sucks, and I have to say i disagree with him entirely. He made good points in Violence for Video games, and even changed my views on the Wii. But in this video hemakes no sense and goes on pointless rants. I do agree with him when he rants about the real world at 2:40 though lol "
    Be specific, you say "i disagree with him entirely" but you don't say exactly what. Is it the comparison to other medias from a historical perspective? Come on, be more specific. "
    You're right I should have been more specific, because I agree with him about the uncanny valley, and when he talked about Bioshock and Metal Gear. 
    When he ranted about that room and how he couldn't' get through the door, that's what bugged me. That rant just didn't make any sense, and for me at least, it
    ruined whatever point he originally had.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Player1
    @AngryKraut said:
    " @Snipzor said:
    " @AngryKraut said:
    Be specific, you say "i disagree with him entirely" but you don't say exactly what. Is it the comparison to other medias from a historical perspective? Come on, be more specific. "
    You're right I should have been more specific, because I agree with him about the uncanny valley, and when he talked about Bioshock and Metal Gear. 
    When he ranted about that room and how he couldn't' get through the door, that's what bugged me. That rant just didn't make any sense, and for me at least, it
    ruined whatever point he originally had. "
    You realize hes disagreeing with the video through the link he provided. Not the one I posted? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.