On the super cheap

#1 Posted by BongChilla (223 posts) -

I just picked this up for 4 dollars at my local used games store. Figured why not try it out. I was a big fan of the old SNES one. Anyone else like this game?

#2 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Never played the SNES one, but GX was the only game I cared about on the Gamecube.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11126 posts) -

F-Zero GX is easily the best F-Zero game. It gets mad hard though. Specifically the story mode. If you can beat that, then congrats. Seriously. It's kinda insane.

Moderator
#4 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (678 posts) -

GX was very good but quite difficult. I liked the difficulty though, just be prepared...it's far from a walk in the park.

#5 Posted by Trace (3560 posts) -

GX is one of the best arcade racers of all time. It's extremely difficult at points, but a lot of fun if you get used to the way the ships handle (and I definitely recommend building a custom ship if you're going to devote any significant time to the game). Great buy for four dollars.

Moderator
#6 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

I didn't buy it when it originally came out so I never played it that much since I picked it up a couple of years ago. Put a ton of time into F-Zero X, though.

Still, GX is unparallelled to me in terms of crazy speed and control. I could never get into any WipEout game.

#7 Posted by Brodehouse (9965 posts) -

I actually want to play GX because I've never played an F-Zero game. I got a sealed copy of the original. But that's obviously never going to be played.

#8 Posted by BongChilla (223 posts) -
@PsEG Oh wow you can make your own ship? That's awesome, I have not had enough time to try it yet but that will probably be the first thing I'll do. I love that stuff.
#9 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1728 posts) -
@mandude said:

 GX was the only game I cared about on the Gamecube.

You need to play more Gamecube games. 
#10 Posted by august (3846 posts) -

THE HERO IN THE EFF ZEE - RO

#11 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

GX is one of the greatest racing games of all time. The tracks are crazy and cool, the music is great, it controls like a dream and it's really challenging.

#12 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4536 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

F-Zero GX is easily the best F-Zero game. It gets mad hard though. Specifically the story mode. If you can beat that, then congrats. Seriously. It's kinda insane.

Agreed. If I recall correctly though, the 1v1 Samurai Goroh and the Michael Chain gang races are probably the hardest parts of the game and those happen pretty early on. Anything related to Deathborn and Black Shadow is also a bit annoying, but other than that, most of the game is pretty straightforward and simple.

Then again, I haven't played the game since the month it came out...

#13 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@mandude said:

GX was the only game I cared about on the Gamecube.

You need to play more Gamecube games.

I think I would have been better off for having played less.

#14 Posted by GalacticPunt (1058 posts) -

Great game but... the slight latency that LCD TV's add, along with my old man reflexes makes it the only game I can think of where I'm literally incapable of beating story mode!

I would need cyborg enhancements to be able to win at GX.

#15 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1728 posts) -
@mandude said:

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@mandude said:

GX was the only game I cared about on the Gamecube.

You need to play more Gamecube games.

I think I would have been better off for having played less.

you're weird, dude
#16 Edited by Trace (3560 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

F-Zero GX is easily the best F-Zero game. It gets mad hard though. Specifically the story mode. If you can beat that, then congrats. Seriously. It's kinda insane.

Agreed. If I recall correctly though, the 1v1 Samurai Goroh and the Michael Chain gang races are probably the hardest parts of the game and those happen pretty early on. Anything related to Deathborn and Black Shadow is also a bit annoying, but other than that, most of the game is pretty straightforward and simple.

Then again, I haven't played the game since the month it came out...

It depends. On the first difficulty, those races and the final champion's ghost battle can be daunting, especially if you haven't figured out how to take out other cars in Chain's race. Once you're at the highest difficulties, though, I'd say the explosive-rigged ship (the one that's like Speed, not the escape) and grand prix are the toughest chapters.

The key to Goroh's Red Canyon race is to hold off using any boost until the end, right to the point where you can use it all in a lengthy burst. As long as you run a clean race before then, you'll pass Goroh naturally and he'll burn shield trying to keep up.

Moderator
#17 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1677 posts) -

So messed up but so good. The thrill you get from barely pulling out a win on the higher difficulties... it's a hell of a thing.

Online
#18 Posted by StarvingGamer (8283 posts) -

Best racing game. Period. Exclamation Point!

#19 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11126 posts) -

@PsEG said: @BabyChooChoo said:

You two are way better than I am, I never even finished it on normal! Got pretty close, but I eventually gave up.

Moderator
#20 Posted by DeF (4903 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@mandude said:

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@mandude said:

GX was the only game I cared about on the Gamecube.

You need to play more Gamecube games.

I think I would have been better off for having played less.

you're weird, dude

neither man nor dude. only space logic can explain that :)

#21 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

You say F-Zero GX and I instantly think of that story mode track in the casino...so freaking impossible!

#22 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4683 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

F-Zero GX is easily the best F-Zero game. It gets mad hard though. Specifically the story mode. If you can beat that, then congrats. Seriously. It's kinda insane.

That story mode is ridiculous. I never got past the tfourth or so stage. I was able to gold four cups, but the story mode is on another level. Does not help that you are stuck playing as Captain Falcon.

#23 Posted by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

I always wanted to try out AX with my memory card, but I never saw one in the UK :(

#24 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (678 posts) -

I feel proud to say I beat the story mode in F-Zero GX, and anyone who knows this game knows how hard that is.

#25 Posted by JasonR86 (9714 posts) -

This is one of my favorite Gamecube games. It's incredible and it amazes me that Nintendo hasn't capitalized on it for the Wii.

#26 Posted by Dahnosaur (19 posts) -

My brother and I put some serious time into that game back in the day. We beat I think six out of the nine story missions on Very Hard, and all of the cups on Master -- I don't know how we didn't break any controllers.

Have any of you tried it in progressive scan? I never played it on a widescreen but I bet it would look great.

If Nintendo/Sega ever released a version of this game with 30-player races playable online, I'd be sold on a Wii U.

#27 Edited by GS_Dan (1403 posts) -

Wait, I've already posted in this thread. Weird.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.