Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

F1 2010

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Developed by Codemasters and using the Ego engine, Formula One 2010 is the first truly next generation F1 game that contains all the cars, drivers and tracks from the 2010 season, putting a heavy emphasis on simulating real life weather effects.

A heads up to anyone thinking about buying this.

alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By alekso

I would wait and see what happens because it is some talk about some major "issues" with the AI. 
    People on the official Codemasters forum are speculating that what the AI cars do on track does not have anything to do with the times being set.  
    So basically the AI cars on track are there just as a blocker for you as the player. Some also think the AI cars on the track does not go around the circuit but is being spawned when you are nearing them.  

When i  have time i'm going to test out some stuff to see is these speculations are true.  
    Anyway i just wanted to tell about this so you don't waste money on this before these issues are resolved or disproved. 

Here is the thread on the CM forum:  http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/431006-confirmed-race-ai-phoney.html

wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By wrathofconn

Was never going to buy this anyway, but that is pure absurdity. Hilarious.

alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By alekso

Im a F1 fan and did buy it so i hope CM can fix this in some way but it probably not something they can patch since the problem is the way the game is made. I hope someone can take away the F1 licence and give it to someone that can make racing games, SimBin feks. 

Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Fbomb

Well, I was interested, but if it was made in a way that takes away from a race's realism, then there's no point in playing it as a sim racer. Stuff like that, if it's true would be about as bad as if they had included rubber banding for the AI to keep races artificially tight.

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BionicMonster

Lol, that car AI sounds alot like the AI(or lack of) in Big Rigs.

alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By alekso

These speculations are so big that Codemasters HAS to respond in some way. This can really damage their reputation much. Hopefully there are crisis meeting going on over at the Codemasters HQ with ways to fix this. Because people can maybe get a refund on the basis that they have not gotten the product the are promised. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I've heard there is an incredibly huge bug list.  It does seem like one of their biggest fuck ups in a long while.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @AleksO: I bought the game.  Although, I've mostly been trying the time trials so far, so I haven't noticed anything odd about the AI, yet.  I'm really having fun with this game so far.  The guy in that forum didn't post a video or anything.  ...but I wouldn't be surprised if a Codemasters game had bugs.
    alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By alekso
    @teh_pwnzorer: No thats true, no vids yet but as i said its still just speculations but i have had some very weird results and races. And if its true it goes beyond a bug. One of the fundamentals of the game is broken. Timing is one of the most important things in F1
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By rjaylee
    @AleksO said:
    "Because people can maybe get a refund on the basis that they have not gotten the product the are promised.  "
    That's one of the silliest things I've ever heard.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

How long will it be before there's a standard set for good AI in a racing game? It's either this or rubberbanding.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By bed

this is just... absurd o-O 

Avatar image for chubbaluphigous
    Chubbaluphigous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Chubbaluphigous

Do all of the bugs hold true for the PC version as well?

commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By commandercup
    @AleksO said:
    " Im a F1 fan and did buy it so i hope CM can fix this in some way but it probably not something they can patch since the problem is the way the game is made. I hope someone can take away the F1 licence and give it to someone that can make racing games, SimBin feks.  "
    CM can't make racing games!? What about Grid and Dirt!? Maybe they can't make sims, but Grid is freaking awesome. 
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By WickedCestus

That sounds like Pole Position and other old racing games.  

It's still messed up though.

Stinky2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stinky2

damn it sucks if this is true.  

i was really hoping to follow a campaign for the AI drivers to see how they did. 
    it stinks knowing that cars i cant see on the track aren't there. 

i also heard a nasty rumor that polygons not in my field of view aren't rendered. 

CM better be having a late night meeting about all this.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pwnasaurus

i bought it and i can barely play... crashes on 1 lap of a 49 lap race.. apparently the AI aren't like that but im not sure i think they where complaining about rubber banding not just place holders.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Stinky2 said:
    "  damn it sucks if this is true.  i was really hoping to follow a campaign for the AI drivers to see how they did. it stinks knowing that cars i cant see on the track aren't there.  i also heard a nasty rumor that polygons not in my field of view aren't rendered.   CM better be having a late night meeting about all this. "

This is an outrage.  Let's start a petition about this. ;)
    cherring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cherring

I don't know if any of this is true or not, only just started playing the game, but I do find it interesting that the thread over at Codemasters is closed. If there is no such problem with the game and Codemasters have nothing to hide, then why would they close the thread, which in the end is totally speculation anyway. 

As for some of the comments over there, including one that says it's a great base to build on and we should be happy to pay just so they can get it better next time, well that is utter fucking rubbish. Games are expensive enough without happily paying for flawed titles, especially here in Australia where the game current retails for $110, despite the fact that the dollar here is almost 1:1 with USD. 

I really hope that this shit isn't true, I love Formula 1, and the last thing F1 needs is shit developers and games ruining their gaming reputation. It doesn't help that nimrods like Bernie Ecclestone are probably deciding who gets to make these games, and he probably doesn't even know what a fucking PS3 is. Shameful.

andymp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By andymp

I suspect as with most things the thread was closed because things tend to get out of hand. It gets off to a bad start when the author claims in the title that this assertion is "confirmed" when nothing is confirmed at all. That said, Codemasters typically make awesome racing games but this is their first version of what is a tough game to make. On the one hand you've got the hardcore F1 crowd who, despite this being the first release of an F1 game on the Xbox 360 will insist on complete simulated accuracy - lap times that are totally realistic, driver styles that are totally realistic to those specific drivers, the bumps in exactly the right places on every circuit... and on the other hand they have to make a game that appeals to the mass market and make it "fun", which isn't always the same as completely realistic. It's a tough job but if anyone can pull it off, Codemasters can. Expectations will be high but for the first version of a game, it's a lot when you're building a game from the ground up. That said, I expect that we'll hear lots of complaints and criticisms from F1 diehards because of anything and everything that isn't 100% totally accurate to "real" F1 racing.

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By Tordah

That's pretty messed up if it's true.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
    OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

I'll probably go get on the PC. 

Fucking RROD >:(

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Sander

I'm playing thru the career mode and have so far done 6 grand prixs and can tell you that this problem does not exist. In that thread at codemasters, his proof is only evidence that he's not a very bright individual because lap times that are based on the 1st lap cannot be counted as an indicator of anything really due to the different grid slots/their distances to the start/finish line etc.

If you want "proof", you can often see the map of the race track and you can see the positions of all the cars, so they're not just spawning when you come near them. Perhaps they're spawning graphically, but that's normal for many games and doesn't have a bearing on gameplay. 

I'm playing with Force India and have had all sorts of finishes from 1st to 16th, doing 20-24 laps for each race playing on Hard or Expert and there has never been a problem with the AI timing, laps, spawns or any thing like that.
    There are a few reasons to hate this game(spins, not having enough Rewinds) but this is definitely not one of them.

TheRuralJuror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TheRuralJuror

The biggest problem I've encountered with the game is coming into the pits first and leaving the pits last almost every time I pitted because my team was too cautious to let me out. I changed the pit strategy to counter the problem but really that shouldn't have to be done. I know it's probably because of the new regulations on releasing a car out of the pits but it still sucks. Punctures can be a pain in the ass too, specially when you get one as you are exiting the pits in 1st place and have to do a whole lap with a punture and end up last. I don't like coming first then ending up last through no fault of my own. 

On a side note. This game is awesome.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pweidman

Yeah this thread/rumor is BS.  And I agree though about the pit stops.  My first race I'm in fifth from 12th qualifying, and I come out in 20th...WTF?  I thought ok maybe the order reshuffles cuz of all the pitting, but nope.  Had to scratch and claw all the rest to an 11th and just outta points:(.  Pretty fun so far, looking forward to higher diffs and more control of handling details. 
    Cyborgmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Cyborgmatt

I wouldn't believe half of the stuff you read on the Codemasters forum, it's full of melodramatic idiots tbh. 

For those asking - times are not faked in-race. Hope that clarifies a couple of things :)

https://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/25609891784    from Chief Game Designer on F1 2010. 

Also, I agree, this game is awesome.
    Avatar image for nihilisticmonkey
    nihilisticmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nihilisticmonkey
    It's totally not closed. There's a billion threads with complaints, a bug list, it's probably just that particular thread that was closed, but they're certainly not doing a mass censorship job of the problems. 

Also, In game AI is apparently not faked, confirmed by codies senior game dev. 

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/431523-officially-confirmed-times-not-faked-race.html   

The quali is faked (Christ knows why), but the AI in race is apparently real.
    alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By alekso

Never said this was true. Just said it was a rumor and people should wait to buy the game before CM responded to the speculations.  
    Anyway there is lots of other problem that CM need to patch fast. The pitstop glitch is very annoying, and the penalty system is way to strict. The F1 stewards does not give out penalty for rubbing wheels and for other cars running into your car. 
    There is also quite some more bugs. Just look in the bug thread:  http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/429298-unofficial-f1-2010-bugs-errors-list.html

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By KaosAngel

If it came out in the summer I'd consider, but it's too close to GT5 and GT5 has F1 (not known to what extent), but it's still too damn close to GT5.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @KaosAngel said:
    " If it came out in the summer I'd consider, but it's too close to GT5 and GT5 has F1 (not known to what extent), but it's still too damn close to GT5. "
    ...but F1 2010 has Suzuka! :-P
    m0nty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By m0nty
    @Chubbaluphigous said:
    " Do all of the bugs hold true for the PC version as well? "
    PC version is the worst.
    Bullitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By Bullitus

I cancelled my order, mainly because of the timing bug/"feature" and "fake" AI (if it's true). Can't really see CM patching everything. But if they do, I'll order again.

Sander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Sander
    @Bullitus said:
    "I cancelled my order, mainly because of the timing bug/"feature" and "fake" AI (if it's true). Can't really see CM patching everything. But if they do, I'll order again. "

Read more- it's not true. The troll just pwned you.
    yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By yoctoyotta
    @HandsomeDead said:
    " How long will it be before there's a standard set for good AI in a racing game? It's either this or rubberbanding. "
    Probably will happen around the same time that AIs become self aware and kill us all, making the potential benefits to video games understandably null.
    Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bullitus: It's not true.  Go pick it up, it's an amazing racing game - by far the most realistic I've ever played.  There's a few bugs, but the in-car camera and pretty amazing graphics and spot-on driving model make it so much fun to play.  I don't even like F1 that much, but I love this game.
    m0nty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By m0nty

I have never reviewed a game before but felt compelled to after todays experience. I have been gaming for over twenty years and can't remember another game like it. 

http://www.giantbomb.com/f1-2010/61-25985/user-reviews/?review_id=16906    

Vafthrutnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Vafthrutnir

I haven't encountered any of the bugs (PC version.) What I have noticed is the lap times the AI seems to manage in wet or how when I was racing in the heavy rain most of them all switched to the option tires and flew past me. The game does need an update, just hope they actually fix some of these things. Just hope my save game doesn't corrupt like it did in DIRT2, which will never be fixed it seems.

blurienh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By blurienh

Amazing game, playing on PS3 with the Gran Turismo 3 logitech force feedback wheel and pedals and its a must for any F1 fans.  It's not the greatest looking game but by no means ugly and it handles all 24 cars at  once which is the most important thing.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Binman88
    @m0nty said:
    " @Chubbaluphigous said:
    PC version is the worst. "
    On what grounds do you base that claim? Are you actually playing the PC version? I have the PC version and have had zero bug encounters or issues of any kind. The game looks absolutely phenomenal on my two-year-old machine and runs at a constant 60 frames per second. I'd happily call this the best F1 experience in a game since the  F-1 World Gran Prix games on the N64. Having said that, I haven't touched the career mode nor studied the AI at any length, but any AI issues would be cross platform, so calling the PC version "the worst" in that sense would be completely illogical.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoOneFive

codemasters-not. 

m0nty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By m0nty
    @Binman88 said:

" @m0nty said:

" @Chubbaluphigous said:

PC version is the worst. "
    On what grounds do you base that claim? Are you actually playing the PC version? I have the PC version and have had zero bug encounters or issues of any kind. The game looks absolutely phenomenal on my two-year-old machine and runs at a constant 60 frames per second. I'd happily call this the best F1 experience in a game since the  F-1 World Gran Prix games on the N64. Having said that, I haven't touched the career mode nor studied the AI at any length, but any AI issues would be cross platform, so calling the PC version "the worst" in that sense would be completely illogical. "
    Well you are completely oblivious to anything going on in the game then. 

Read this thread...  

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/429298-unofficial-f1-2010-bugs-errors-list.html     

Impossible that you are playing at a locked 60fps because the game has been locked to 30fps by Codemasters. It's one of the complaints from people. Take off those rose coloured glasses. I was a huge fan of this game, but the more I play it the more I realise it's the buggiest game to ship in the longest time I can remember.
    Bullitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bullitus
    @SkullcrusherMountain: Just ordered again. Really hoping that the patch will fix at least majority of the bugs.
    Bullitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bullitus

Does the fuel/tyre bug affect if race distance is set at 100%?

lightsoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#44  Edited By lightsoda

What... I thought CM were verterans in the car game market, this seems like the result of some intern AI programmer. Anywho, bummer.

alekso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By alekso
    @Bullitus: If you are thinking about the pit stop bug, no not really. Then the ai have different strategy. And you can also just take your pit stop one lap before or after what the engineer says and you wont have that problem. 
    cherring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By cherring
    @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " If it came out in the summer I'd consider, but it's too close to GT5 and GT5 has F1 (not known to what extent), but it's still too damn close to GT5. "
    ...but F1 2010 has Suzuka! :-P "
    GT5 has suzuka as well
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Isn't codemasters the guys that made the game genie back in the day?

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @cherring said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    ...but F1 2010 has Suzuka! :-P "
    GT5 has suzuka as well "
    Yeah, I know.  Many racing games (including Pole Position 2) have Suzuka.  That's the joke. :-P
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Bouke
    @KaosAngel said:
    "If it came out in the summer I'd consider, but it's too close to GT5 and GT5 has F1 (not known to what extent), but it's still too damn close to GT5. "

Its not so close to GT5 anymore...  

I really wanted to get this but thought with less then a month to GT5's release; i'll pick it up later! Now that GT5 has been delayed (again) i'm picking this up...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.