Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

F1 2010

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 21, 2010

Developed by Codemasters and using the Ego engine, Formula One 2010 is the first truly next generation F1 game that contains all the cars, drivers and tracks from the 2010 season, putting a heavy emphasis on simulating real life weather effects.

First impressions

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By ZimboDK

So, I got my version of F1 2010 for the PC (yay for knowing someone who owns a game store), and so far it's pretty awesome. I got a choice between 3 teams at the beginning: Lotus, Virgin or HRT. I chose Lotus, just cause. I have completed 3 races so far, intermediate AI, no assists except for braking line, full damage and 40% length. Damn, it's difficult. A single mistake and you're kind of screwed. It's really difficult to catch up to the cars in front of you again, and overtaking is always a gamble. If you cause a collision, you might get away with a warning, a drive through, or a 20 second penalty. Cut to many corners, and it's the same. And Lotus doesn't really have the car to be competitive. Driving absolutely perfect in the beginning, and I can get up to about 8th place. I usually spin out at some point, and it just goes downhill from there. Best position so far: 19th.

I haven't had any major crashes yet, but did manage to tear off my front wing. I've also had a few punctures, which is so fucking annoying. Also a bit weird. During a practice run, I drove out of the pit. First corner, puncture. Dammit. You can adjust the Aero on the fly (either up or down) depending on whether you want speed or grip, and you can decide which tires to use before you enter the pit.
    There are 4 types of tires: Prime, Option, Intermediate and Wet. Prime and Option are for dry weather, Intermediate is for damp tracks and Wet is for... well, you know. So far I have used every type except Intermediate, and there's quite a difference between them. Prime is the regular dry tire. It doesn't wear out fast, but the grip suffers for it. Prepare to understeer a lot when you use this. Option is excellent, but will at best last you about half a race. The grip is phenomenal, and they really allow you to take corners at speed. And you have to use both Option and Prime during a race, so a single pit stop is mandatory.

Controls so far are pretty great. I play with a 360 controller and the cars are really responsive. The only thing I miss is some advanced control settings. Stuff like dead zone and braking sensitivity. Not an option with a controller.

Graphics are fine, and become excellent in the rain. Lot's of reflections and your view is obscured by rain drops.

So far I really love the game. The sense of speed is intense, and you constantly have to make split second decisions. I just wish my car was a bit faster.

And it runs fine on my comp: Q6600, 9600GT, 2GB RAM, Win7. I run it in 1280x1024, everything on High or Ultra, vsync off, 2xMSAA. No slowdown of any kind.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

any good vids i could watch? or pics at least?

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ZimboDK
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Interesting you say it runs well, I've heard about people with considerably better systems not hitting 30fps. It should run fine on my machine, don't you think? (specs in mini bio)

Furyjoell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Furyjoell

Can't wait for this!

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Sessh

What about the whole racing background thing, interviews and such? Is this well embedded as well, or rather annoying? 

Oh, and great that it really will be as difficult as I thought, because this is gonna be my first racing game in about 5 years or so. :D
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Sessh said:
    " What about the whole racing background thing, interviews and such? Is this well embedded as well, or rather annoying?  Oh, and great that it really will be as difficult as I thought, because this is gonna be my first racing game in about 5 years or so. :D "
    I frequently visit sim racing communities that are based around games such as rFactor and GTR2, and they say that on the hardest difficulty in the worst cars they are winning races straight away, it's not very hard by any standards. 
    Bouke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Bouke

Man this sounds exciting.. i'm a big fan of F1 but this game released pretty quietly! I was waiting for GT5 but i might pick this up in the mean time...
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By Davvyk

Id say my only critisisms so far are the pitstops (mentioned in my thread) and the step up from the default driver AI difficulty to professional is to big. An extra intermediate level would have been welcome. That said it would frustrate me if i was finishing top 6 with virgin every race (unrealistic) so the fact im fighting tooth and nail for an 18th place qualification is really really fun.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Rio

I was going to pick this up for the PS3 but no stores in my area have recieved them yet.  Supposedly shipments will be arriving tomorrow.  Way to hit the street date lol.  I have kinda been assuming I missed something and its been common knowledge that the game wasnt gonna be in stores on the sep.21 street day, but still quite annoyed since I had two days off and wanted to try it out.  Hopefully I will get a copy tomorrow.

Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Davvyk
    @ZimboDK on the default difficulty I managed to qualify 8th. On professional....22nd is as good as it gets. I'm blaming the team!!!
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZimboDK
    @Davvyk: Yeah I don't know why, but it took me forever to get used to the driving model. I have to increase the difficulty again, because I just won my first race in a Lotus. I was 3 seconds a lap faster than everyone else in Montreal. It does get pretty intense at times though. I almost lost pole by spinning out in a corner. Lost 12 seconds. Final lap, I started spinning in the second to last corner with Rosberg right behind me. I managed to hold it though, and won the race.
    Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Davvyk
    @ZimboDK

Yeah it is easily the most intense racing game I've ever played. You can't over run corners. You can't touch the other cars or it's game over. When you do nail it though it's the most rewarding driving experience I've had in a game. What difficulty do you have the ai set to? I have abs full, traction controll partial , full Damage and tyre simulation and driver ai set to professional. I'm seconds off the pace in qualifying even if I think it's a clean fast lap. On normal ai difficulty I Was normally about mid grid in qualifying
    Bolthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bolthor

Sounds like a good racing game, I think I have to get this.

ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ZimboDK
    @Davvyk: In Montreal the AI was set to Intermediate, no assists except braking line and full damage and tyre sim. The same in Valencia where I finished 8th. That was a fun race. I spent 2 laps battling Alonso. We kept passing each other in every corner until he got a puncture. Massa was in front of me after that, but his car was so much faster than mine.
    I just finished qualifying in Silverstone with a Professional AI. Ended up at 17th place.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.