Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable II

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

An action-oriented role-playing game set 500 years after the original Fable, this sequel starts players out in the role of a street urchin destined for greatness.

All RPG's should do this...

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Edited By dj

Fable 2 was a rather disappointing experience for me; The combat felt really shallow and the story was equally weak. While the art style was very appealing to look like it was not enough to cover the other weaker components of the game. The one thing that Fable 2 did well was the golden bread crumb trail. As you could probably infer it's a trail that constantly points you towards your main objective. My friends says that like the arrow in Bioshock, this trail ruins the experience by making it extremly linear. I would argue that it just makes the whole experience more stream lined. Unlike Fallout 3 I always knew what I had to do. There was never a moment where I just stare at the screen and wonder where the hell to go. I love that, it cuts down on the frustration that happens when you don't know where to go.

Hopefully Dead Space will be better at fulfilling my expectations.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By dj

Fable 2 was a rather disappointing experience for me; The combat felt really shallow and the story was equally weak. While the art style was very appealing to look like it was not enough to cover the other weaker components of the game. The one thing that Fable 2 did well was the golden bread crumb trail. As you could probably infer it's a trail that constantly points you towards your main objective. My friends says that like the arrow in Bioshock, this trail ruins the experience by making it extremly linear. I would argue that it just makes the whole experience more stream lined. Unlike Fallout 3 I always knew what I had to do. There was never a moment where I just stare at the screen and wonder where the hell to go. I love that, it cuts down on the frustration that happens when you don't know where to go.

Hopefully Dead Space will be better at fulfilling my expectations.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Jayge_

Fallout 3 has a bread crumb trail too, it's just not nearly as glitchy/broken/useless and it doesn't pressure the player *nearly* as much as the Trail does.

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fr0br0

Dead Space has just what you need. You don;t have to use it, but when you do, just press the button and you'll have a blue line tell you exactly where you need to go. I loved this tool so much I gave it the nickname "Godly Little Blue Line of Infinite Knowledge of Telling Me Where to Go"

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Xandurson

I haven't picked up Fable 2 yet but I do know what you are talking about. However, in Fallout 3 there is an arrow it's just not as advanced as the Fable 2 trail.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_
    GamerGeek360 said:
    "I haven't picked up Fable 2 yet but I do know what you are talking about. However, in Fallout 3 there is an arrow it's just not as advanced as the Fable 2 trail."
    It's just as advanced/useful. The local map tells you exactly where you need to go, the main map shows your general destination, and in normal gameplay your compass points in the right direction at all times. It's not nearly as linear and convenient as Fable 2, but it's much more useful and doesn't impose nearly as much upon the player as the bread crumb trail does.
    gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By gearhead

I would disagree. The bread crumb trail is supposed to allow you to do the exact opposite of what you are saying. It is allowing you to go do something crazy, not following the quest, and allowing you to jump back into the quest, unlike other RPGS. The other details about Fable 2 that you posted, I also disagree with, but hey, your opinion.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By atejas

In an RPG?
    No way. But considering that Fable is barely an RPG(in terms of gameplay depth, aesthetically it is), it's acceptable.
    The bread crumbs discourage the player from exploring. And exploration is important in most RPGs.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Well, it depends.  It works for some games, not all.  Fable isn't really the typical rpg and not really an action game.  It's different. 

That being said, Fallout needs something like this.  I realize putting a trail like that in this game... screw it.  Fallout 3 fails on so many levels when it comes to polish.  I can't discuss all of its problems

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24
    Gearhead said:
    "I would disagree. The bread crumb trail is supposed to allow you to do the exact opposite of what you are saying. It is allowing you to go do something crazy, not following the quest, and allowing you to jump back into the quest, unlike other RPGS. The other details about Fable 2 that you posted, I also disagree with, but hey, your opinion."
    Yeah, I agree with this one.  Fable 2 doesn't want you to follow a strict path; rather, it acts as a guide for whenever you go out and do something and get back to the main objectives. Also, it helps mainstream players with navigation and playing the game, something Molyneuox was trying to achieve.  I don't know about everyone here, but I LOVED Fable 2. Still like Fallout 3 a bit better overall, but Fable 2 was a great game for me.
    walls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10  Edited By walls

The problem with the arrow in Fallout is that it sometimes drives me into a wall, while the breadcrumb trail stuck to a path.

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MKHavoc

I really liked the glowing trail as well.  Some of you said that it discourages exploration, but I felt the exact opposite.  I wasn't afraid  that I'd get lost while walking around because I knew then when I was ready the trail would lead me back.  Plus if it bothers you that much you can dim the light in the options menu.  Not sure if you can completely turn it off though.

MadMatr07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MadMatr07
    Fr0Br0 said:
    "Dead Space has just what you need. You don;t have to use it, but when you do, just press the button and you'll have a blue line tell you exactly where you need to go. I loved this tool so much I gave it the nickname "Godly Little Blue Line of Infinite Knowledge of Telling Me Where to Go""
    I agree completely with this posting. Definitely a better system.
    ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ahab88

I wish Super Mario Bros. had the breadcrumb trail. I get so confused in world 6-2, I'm not sure which way the flagpole is.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rowr

Everygame should be like Morrowind, where you get vaguely told where to go in a journal and spend an hour trying to find it.

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hexpane
    Dj said:
    "Fable 2 was a rather disappointing experience for me; The combat felt really shallow and the story was equally weak.  
    That is true about the Fable series, however after playing Fable we can all confirm that it is NOT even a RPG, it's an action game w/ a bunch of sims style bullshit thrown in w/ some really poor english fart jokes
    Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Snail
    Hexpane said:
    "Dj said:
    "Fable 2 was a rather disappointing experience for me; The combat felt really shallow and the story was equally weak.  
    That is true about the Fable series, however after playing Fable we can all confirm that it is NOT even a RPG, it's an action game w/ a bunch of sims style bullshit thrown in w/ some really poor english fart jokes"
    It is an RPG with bunch of sims style bullshit thrown in w/ some really poor english fart joke. But an RPG nonetheless.
    Avatar image for 45hefvserg 34t34 t3
    45ysdfgsd g35t3t54 3t4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

MKHavoc said:
    "I really liked the glowing trail as well.  Some of you said that it discourages exploration, but I felt the exact opposite.  I wasn't afraid  that I'd get lost while walking around because I knew then when I was ready the trail would lead me back.  Plus if it bothers you that much you can dim the light in the options menu.  Not sure if you can completely turn it off though."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

"Dj said:

That is true about the Fable series, however after playing Fable we can all confirm that it is NOT even a RPG, it's an action game w/ a bunch of sims style bullshit thrown in w/ some really poor english fart jokes"

Honestly, we english find them jokes as unfunny as you do.
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crunchUK

i didn't really like it. It was much better when you had the world map and had to make your own way

Avatar image for adamantiumfiend
    adamantiumfiend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By adamantiumfiend

i dig the trail because i dont get completely lost while i'm f*cking around in the world of fable, and at the same time it doesn't ever force you to move on, it's just there showing you where you eventually need to go. :)

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

To elaborate on my old post, it's because the arror will lead you to a point in fallout where you can't cross--- you have to all the way on the other side of the map sometimes.

While I like exploration, there's nothing to really explore in lots of open world games, just repeditive dungeons that look the same.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrSnow
    @MKHavoc said:

" I really liked the glowing trail as well.  Some of you said that it discourages exploration, but I felt the exact opposite.  I wasn't afraid  that I'd get lost while walking around because I knew then when I was ready the trail would lead me back.  Plus if it bothers you that much you can dim the light in the options menu.  Not sure if you can completely turn it off though. "

You can turn it off

I did straigth away because i felt the trail was rushing me to complete the game and not expirence it to the max.
    If i couldnt find the oblective i would then turn it on.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

They make the game way to simple by doing this, I would turn it off.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arabes

I really didn't like not having a map in fable 2. i found it hard to work out how the world joined up. And I finished it in about 2 days. It was kind of weak. I prefer my RPG's to be RPG's and have depth - KOTOR, all the fallouts (especially 2), Baldurs Gate, Planescape etc.

Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Shindiggah

IDK, I personally also hated Fable 2, bread crumb trail included.
    dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dj

Why did this show up now? Its been months since I posted this. Oh well,

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.