Anybody a little underwelmed by Fable 2 so far ?

#1 Posted by CharleyTony (923 posts) -

I started playing and Im not really far in the game, maybe 2 hours in... and so far I dont see what all the fuss is about. Its kinda funny at times but it feels really casual and dummed down.
This is exactly the opposite of what I felt when I played Lost Odyssey earlier this year.

#2 Edited by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -
Anybody a little underwelmed by Fable 2 so far ?
No. Although if you're a Lost Odyssey fan while also disliking Fable, I think I can see why. You should probably pick up Blue Dragon or something.
#3 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

What Jayge said. Fable's storyline is essentially a bit of a joke, and so are the sidequests

#4 Posted by TyrellOCP (334 posts) -

so far i am loving the game!

it's just so bright and colourful.

i love the tongue in cheek nature that's similar to classic games; the little pop culture nods and nods to other games.

it's an excelent piece of work.

#5 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I haven't been underwhelmed at all. I have been enjoying the game a lot and it's been taking away all my playtime from Far Cry 2 currently. ...and just like Jayge said, if you were expecting anything like Lost Odyssey then you will definitely be disappointed.

#6 Edited by English (159 posts) -

Fable was my favorite singleplayer RPG, Fable II is no different, with many of the additions and changes I was hoping to see from the first game. Lived up to my expectations 100%.

#7 Posted by CharleyTony (923 posts) -

I wasnt expecting something like Lost Odyssey, I know what Fable is I had played the first one... As I read a couple of other reviews I kinda figured out that I might not be as far along the main story as I thought I was so all the better part of the plot are right around the corner. I thought it was a short game (about 6-8 hours), I guess that's what made me complain ....

#8 Posted by Zaapp1 (658 posts) -

I just finished it, completing every quest on the good side, and it took me less than 15 hours...WTF!?!?  I thought American RPGs had more sustainable length...curse you Molyneux!

#9 Posted by samcotts (2258 posts) -

I'm starting to get that feeling 6 or 7 hours in. I was really enjoying the experience to begin with, but the story hasn't really grown, nor has the world it is set in. I bought the best clothing and weaponry within the first couple of hours, and the combat is far too easy and simple. Everything is starting to feel, like you said, underwelming, and so far the game definitely hasn't reached it's potential.

#10 Posted by pause422 (6178 posts) -
Kush said:
"I haven't been underwhelmed at all. I have been enjoying the game a lot and it's been taking away all my playtime from Far Cry 2 currently. ...and just like Jayge said, if you were expecting anything like Lost Odyssey then you will definitely be disappointed."
To me that's by far a good thing...
#11 Posted by Karmum (11517 posts) -

Not yet, I'm loving every minute of it so far.

#12 Posted by Kratos81 (411 posts) -
samcotts said:
"I'm starting to get that feeling 6 or 7 hours in. I was really enjoying the experience to begin with, but the story hasn't really grown, nor has the world it is set in. I bought the best clothing and weaponry within the first couple of hours, and the combat is far too easy and simple. Everything is starting to feel, like you said, underwelming, and so far the game definitely hasn't reached it's potential."

I think this is how the game is. I loved it for the first 6 or 7 hrs, it just felt like there was so much to do. After a while you realize the game is shallow, the combat is fun but there is not enough. Personally I really dont think its much better then the first fable, which I enjoyed but it was nothing special. I fell the story in fable 2 is weak and not ingaging at all. I would rather f*** bar maides or chop wood.
#13 Posted by Ma7moud (805 posts) -

I've been playing it for while now and the game is awesome, one of my favorite games this Gen.

#14 Posted by tmontana1004 (376 posts) -

I'm hours in and I have loved every second of it. The story gets a lot better I assure you.

#15 Posted by Joru (311 posts) -

I beat the main story in 3 sittings (I'm on holiday at the moment :)) and I loved it. If there weren't a billion other games to play right now I'd propably beat it again as a good guy. I think this game shows that Molyneux is actually really good at game design. It definately could of been harder, but I like it this way since it's never frustrating and the combat is always lots of fun. It could of used a little more depth but I can undestand why they did it this way - It's more simple and laid back. The presentation of this game is definately very good aswell. The music, graphic design and especially the voice acting are all superb. The only problems I have is that marriages are very annoying and the minigames could have used some variety.

#16 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

At first, I thought it was way too easy, but I love how it opens up, revealing a lot of hidden depth and charm.  Love it so far.

#17 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

I'm still pretty early in the game, but I've been enjoying pretty much every moment.

#18 Posted by Babble (1270 posts) -

You should give it more time, once you get Flourishes for combat things pick up, I find combat to be incredibly fun. Once you get enough money start buying up properties as well!

#19 Posted by the_9th_wonder (55 posts) -

Underwhelmed? Not really. I'm actually surprised how much the game has won me over. The wondrous air it puts out is simply arresting. Bugs not withstanding, it's fabulous. I wouldn't go so far as to call it dumbed down, but there are things about it (the janky control pad hotkeys, for instance) that make it feel like a PC RPG ported for console.

#20 Posted by CharleyTony (923 posts) -

I confess I quickly jumped to a bad conclusion, before I could get enough experience to upgrade my abilities I thought the game was to casual and didnt have enough depth. Once you get past the first main quest (Abbott) things pick up in the story department and you get enough EXP to customize your character to your liking, once I got more melee abilities I was loving the combat...

#21 Posted by pyromaniac (1703 posts) -

I bought the game and beat it and I have to say that I am extremely underwhelmed...not just because of the massive hype because the game just seems so small compared to games like oblivion or Mass effect...not enough stuff in this game for it to warrant a 60 dollar price tag...

#22 Posted by Maclintok (177 posts) -

I too was quite underwhelmed for my first 2 hours of play.  The childhood prologue felt rushed and contrived and the load times were making me impatient for Dead Space, where  I knew I could get almost instant gratification.

Over the next two days, Fable 2 grew on me enough to appreciate it's many charms and design quirks. I am taking my time with the main stoiryline since  have heard how short hte game is if you blast through it.  The world does feel very small, but for what is essentially a linear path action-RPG, it still does the job it's supposed to do. Somewhere in teh distance I can hear Fallout 3 calling out my name, yet I feel more compelled to finish off Fable first, without rushing.

#23 Posted by Captain_Insano (1534 posts) -

I was a bit underwhelmed at first, but then I also wasn't hyped about it to begin with. I saw a few good reviews for it, and having gotten some actual good money for once I thought hey, why not give it a try. So I am enjoying it, plus my gf loves playing it so any game that gets her more into games (and therefore more forgiving of my playing games) is good by me. I'm enjoying the combat but after having finished the first main quest (abbot), the only criticism I really have is that the world feels small, and the same enemies are in the same spot all the time.

#24 Posted by chronicsmoke (996 posts) -

underwhelmed? far from it,Im enjoying the hell out of this game

#25 Posted by OfficialJab (151 posts) -

My only contact with it has been acting as the co-op's second player. And I thought it was wonderful. Not very serious, so comparisons with something like Lost Odyssey aren't fair. It's just to have a good time with.  :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.