Co-op Was Quite a Letdown

#1 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

I enjoy co-op games. And any game where you can hang out with a friend always makes it better, usually. In terms of Fable II it is actually taking away a lot of the enjoyability. Let's go over the problems:

• Whoever joins the hosted game has to use a pre-determined "Henchman" character skin. With no ability to customize, and can only use a generic weapon.
  • No camera control. Please tell me why we are forced to use a placed camera? I'd rather them throw the damn mini-map back in, as well as keeping the "breadcrumb trail." I'd have to say this is my biggest area of disappointment. Especially since the movement has a "floaty" kind of feel where you begin to steer then in half a second they change direction, not immediately like most games. Where this camera really suffers is in caverns/dungeons/corridors/pretty much anywhere.
  • The host controls all the options. If he pauses, the co-op partner has to wait. Simply put: not fun. The lack of "character extension" will be the downfall of the co-op experience, in my opinion. I never join my friend's games (at least so far), simply because [A] I want to track my progress, and [B] I don't want to be the tacked-on player staring at pause screens and a generic character model.

Other than the co-op, I'm really enjoying the game.
#2 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

In your opinion, is it worth the 60 dollars?

#3 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
Cube said:
"In your opinion, is it worth the 60 dollars?"
Yes, so far I have not regret my decision to buy it. Co-op can still be fun if you aren't in a rush and very relaxed with a friend you're joking around with. Thankfully they threw in a run button -- no more excessive rolling everywhere! And this run button is fast. Anyhow, I'm enjoying my experience and will have a review up preferably tomorrow if you want to wait for that. Totally depends on if I complete the game.
#4 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Normally if no other games were coming out (think "Dead Rising" summer type of deal), I'd drop the money with no skepticism.

I'll probably just buy it anyways.

#5 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Wait, so if I join a buddy's game online, I'm going to have a generic dude to play with?

#6 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
TheGTAvaccine said:
"Wait, so if I join a buddy's game online, I'm going to have a generic dude to play with?"
Yes, but I believe it has some of your stats. And you do get to keep some things like gold and experience? Not sure considering I was the host of the co-op game I played, but if anyone wants to confirm what the other player gets that'd be cool.
#7 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

Man, pretty lame. Oh well, wasnt planning on doing co-op much anyways. Thanks for telling us about it though :)

#8 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

The first fact is the one that really bugs me...why you can't use your actual character makes no sense.

#9 Posted by Psynapse (1064 posts) -
#10 Posted by RBolduc625 (115 posts) -

I agree. The single player is AWESOME. I played about 10 minutes of Co-op and i was done with it. It was terribly done. Same controls as if you were sharing the same screen.

#11 Posted by RBolduc625 (115 posts) -

I agree. The single player is AWESOME. I played about 10 minutes of Co-op and i was done with it. It was terribly done. Same controls as if you were sharing the same screen.

#12 Edited by Ghostfish (234 posts) -

The game is definitely worth the money, but co-op is easily a disappointment especially from the guest's perspective.  The camera is terrible in that both characters are forced onto the same screen through one point of view instead of letting each character have their own unique views, and the camera angle you're given is terrible more often than not.  You're not allowed to import your own unique character into someone else's world, and instead have to create a henchman on the spot with a few basic cookie-cutter options.  You don't get to bring your own stats and skills, or even expressions, that you've unlocked/achieved; you're given the same stats, abilities, etc. that the person you're joining has, whether they're more or less advanced than yours.  This means that if you're, say, an end-game character porting into a new user's game, you're gonna look like a tool, have to work with a poor game camera, and only have a fraction of the skills you're used to.    .....................Hooray.

#13 Posted by Jayge_ (10221 posts) -

The co-op is definitely a disappointment, but the game is still great.

#14 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -

The camera is annoying, i joined co-op with some random today, and he refused to go in the direction i needed to, i was forced to end it. I fully expected the camera to be set as usual for either person.

Definitely dissapointing. Also i imagine it would get pretty boring being the second person in the game, as i havent found it extremely combat heavy so far, i guess you could just keep moving through the paths hitting the encounters, but im sure that gets pretty boring as well after an hour or two.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.