Dog Discussion Goes HERE!

#1 Edited by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Entrancing title, is it not?

Anywho, I wanted to discuss how you guys felt about the dog in Fable II. I personally really liked it, the dog was a great addition and should be in some form for most games [where applicable]. Not only does it save you from excessively searching, as what happens to me, but he is very remarkable as an AI companion goes. Call me a dog lover, but I felt really sad when he was hanging his paw in anguish, or hung his head after you would scold him. Then there were joyful times like when you play fetch, or fake being dead, and then humorous additions like him buring his nose when you belch/fart.

I really think the dog will be one of my more everlasting memories from Fable II. How do you guys feel?

Edit: I wish there was a customizable dog feature, despite probably being incredibly complex, I want to see my bichon frise in the game!

#2 Posted by Lies (3868 posts) -

The dog does change, depending on whether or not you are good or evil, but not very much. For example, mine is a browninsh-gold color, and is getting golder as I do nicer stuff.

I think he's a great addition so far honestly, I love how he auto-searches for treasure, and some of his interactions with you are pretty great. I'll have to play more to see how it pans out but I'm really liking it so far.

#3 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

"It's just like a real dog. It really cares!"

#4 Posted by vhold (447 posts) -

The dog is a decent game mechanic...  I bet they had tons of ideas how to make the dog a more important figure in the game, and I'm glad they restrained themselves.  I appreciate the fact the dog is a follower, its along for the ride and wants to please its master.  Most video game NPCs are the exact opposite, so it works really well.

#5 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I think the dog is great so far...it's just a nice little companion that keeps you from feeling alone the entire game. I'm not too far in the game so I'm sure there is plenty of stuff I haven't seen either.

#6 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

I still haven't named my dog, nor do I know what to name it. =/

#7 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
I want to see my bichon frise in the game!"
Same here, but my little white puff would be of absolutely no use. I would rather have made a big ol' Husky.
#8 Posted by Rowr (5824 posts) -
MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"I still haven't named my dog, nor do I know what to name it. =/"
you can buy a collar for it, you name it through that.
#9 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -
Rowr said:
"MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"I still haven't named my dog, nor do I know what to name it. =/"
you can buy a collar for it, you name it through that."
The dog comes with a collar in the beginning so that you can rename it; the Collar of Holding I think.
#10 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -
Kush said:
"Rowr said:
"MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"I still haven't named my dog, nor do I know what to name it. =/"
you can buy a collar for it, you name it through that."
The dog comes with a collar in the beginning so that you can rename it; the Collar of Holding I think."
He knows how to name it, it seems. He's just unsure what to name it. Read his post over again.
#11 Posted by Prime20 (168 posts) -

I honestly named mine Rex cause i couldn't think of any names that would fit since iam playing through on the good side.
But once i go evil iam naming him Cerberus.

#12 Edited by Rowr (5824 posts) -
Vinchenzo said:
"Kush said:
"Rowr said:
"MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
"I still haven't named my dog, nor do I know what to name it. =/"
you can buy a collar for it, you name it through that."
The dog comes with a collar in the beginning so that you can rename it; the Collar of Holding I think."
He knows how to name it, it seems. He's just unsure what to name it. Read his post over again."
oops.

umm i dunno, scrappy?
#13 Posted by TyrellOCP (357 posts) -

so far i love my Pooch (a very unoriginal name for a dog i know)

he is a fantastic addition! whenever i praise him and he leaps up with his tongue out, it makes me smile every time. whenever he's scared and he creeps with his tail between his legs and wimpers, i feel compelled to reassure him. when he pisses against a lamp post it makes me giggle. when he's hurt and limps, i feel compelled to heal him.

when i heard they got rid of a mini map in place of the dog i didn't think it would work, but in practice it works brilliantly. he points out treasure and hidden items, i can't fully express how impressed i am with it.

it is deffinately a highlight of my gaming life.

Peter Molyneux has done himself proud!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.