Fable 2 free on XBLM?

#2 Edited by FirePrince (1767 posts) -

$19.99

File Size: 7 GB 
Nope. 
Too bad.

#3 Posted by Weltal (2276 posts) -

Says free for me. I'm trying to dl it now.

#4 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@Weltal said:

" Says free for me. I'm trying to dl it now. "

this 
 
heh, cant buy stuff from their webpage and on the xbox itself it says it costs $35... Yeah...
#5 Posted by MethodMan008 (822 posts) -

free for me

#6 Posted by dankempster (2259 posts) -

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lionhead try out an episodic release of Fable II on LIVE Marketplace? I think it was free to download the game and play through the opening segments, but unlocking further episodes had to be paid for. Assuming I'm not making that up, I'd imagine that's what this is.

#7 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -

Added it to my download queue. Since I have 1Mbps internet, I will see if this download works... eventually.

#8 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

19.99$ for me. What a bummer.

#9 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@dankempster said:
" Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lionhead try out an episodic release of Fable II on LIVE Marketplace? I think it was free to download the game and play through the opening segments, but unlocking further episodes had to be paid for. Assuming I'm not making that up, I'd imagine that's what this is. "
I thought that was for Fable 3.
#10 Edited by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -
@dankempster:  Yeah, but that said "Fable II - Episode I." This just says "Fable II."
 
Maybe it only works for U.S. users?
 
Oh, and @smcn:  thanks.
 
EDIT: I looked at the full Fable II page on xbox marketplace and there is another "Fable II - Full Game" that costs $19.99. You may be right, dank; I think they scrapped the "Fable II Episodic" offer and maybe this is its remnant. But hey, maybe it works as a full game now »_»
#11 Posted by AlisterCat (5727 posts) -

I successfully queued it up, and I'm in the UK. I dont expect good things to come from this though. They've let stuff like this go in the past but I this seems very strange.

#12 Posted by forestofdeath (252 posts) -

free for me--dunno what to do. o__o

#13 Posted by dankempster (2259 posts) -
@Axxol: I remember reading they were considering an episodic release for Fable III, but I also seem to remember reading that decision was made based on the success of Fable II's episodic release. Again, maybe I just have my wires crossed and am talking rubbish. Just throwing a theory out there.
#14 Posted by Tordah (2488 posts) -

It's 29.99 € for me. Bah.

#15 Posted by CABBAGES (534 posts) -

Downloading just now and im in scotland so dosnt seem to be just for US
#16 Posted by lukeissxc (245 posts) -
@dankempster: You're right. I've tried the Fable II episode 1 which is free after my copy was stolen and it lets you play up until you have to go to Bowerstone and then you have to pay.
#17 Posted by AlisterCat (5727 posts) -

I couldn't find the episodic Fable 2 on the marketplace while on my Xbox, so maybe this just replaces that?

#18 Posted by Bigandtasty (3204 posts) -
@AlisterCat:  Yep. That's what I'm thinking too. They no longer offer Fable II episodic but maybe this is left behind as a useless husk of a game that can no longer be unlocked.
 
We'll see when we download and play, I guess.
#19 Posted by Murtaug (309 posts) -

Queued up from web, downloading now. We'll see how it goes. I feel kind of bad exploiting this, but I do own Fable II on disc.

#20 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (601 posts) -

I want to queue it up to see if it's actually free, but I keep getting this message.
 
"This content cannot be purchased from Xbox LIVE Web Marketplace because you do not have the latest Xbox LIVE update on your console. Please log into Xbox LIVE with your console before purchasing content from Web Marketplace."
 
Anyone know why it won't let me do it?

#21 Posted by zombie2011 (5050 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @dankempster said:
" Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Lionhead try out an episodic release of Fable II on LIVE Marketplace? I think it was free to download the game and play through the opening segments, but unlocking further episodes had to be paid for. Assuming I'm not making that up, I'd imagine that's what this is. "
I thought that was for Fable 3. "
It was for Fable 2 also, only the opening segment where you are a kid is playable for free.
#22 Posted by General_D23 (1201 posts) -

Added it to my Queue. 6.6GB it says, got it for free, but not in a position to download at the moment. 
 
Not that it really matters to me, but I guess if my disc becomes nonfunctional I might have a back-up.

#23 Posted by Jeffsekai (7054 posts) -

starting download

#24 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

Good to know they're finally selling this game for what it's worth. 
 
Just joking.  If it really is free I might give it another try.

#25 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (601 posts) -

Anyone else getting this error when trying to queue it up?
 
"This content cannot be purchased from Xbox LIVE Web Marketplace because you do not have the latest Xbox LIVE update on your console. Please log into Xbox LIVE with your console before purchasing content from Web Marketplace."

#26 Edited by Creamypies (4091 posts) -

Mine's in the queue, but it hasn't changed from 0% yet... and it's been "downloading" for about 10 minutes now. 
 
EDIT: 1 %

#27 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Free in Canada also. Weird. 

#28 Edited by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -

It says I've already purchased the content and guess what, I bought the free episode one of Fable 2 months ago. 
 
Seems like that's what it is. downloading now to test though.

#29 Posted by Slax (963 posts) -

I'm trying it. Figure, might as well.

#30 Posted by TheSilentTruth (1151 posts) -

I'm 1% into this download . Yup, Fable II and the DLC packs are free at the moment.
 
Fuckin' sweet.

#31 Edited by Rincewind (256 posts) -

Downloading now to UK xbox 360..

#32 Posted by AlisterCat (5727 posts) -
@TheSilentTruth:  There has always been free versions of the DLC. They dont allow you to play, just so that you can be in games with people who do own the DLC.
#33 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@TheSilentTruth said:
" I'm 1% into this download . Yup, Fable II and the DLC packs are free at the moment.  Fuckin' sweet. "
The DLC isn't free for me. There is a free version of the DLC, but they aren't the full DLC.
#34 Edited by CookieMonster (2449 posts) -

THE DLC IS FREE?! I better hop too it, I need an excuse to get back into that game. I didn't enjoy it very much the first time round. 
 
Edit: The DLC is not free. ITS ALL LIES. LIES AND SLANDER.

#35 Edited by Chaser324 (6744 posts) -

Yeah, the DLC is showing up free for me, so I'm definitely going to try and grab it. 
 
Edit: Yeah, nevermind. I just saw the free pack and not the premium pack...but the full game actually is showing up for free (if it actually is the full game).

Moderator
#36 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -
@Chaser324 said:

" Yeah, the DLC is showing up free for me, so I'm definitely going to try and grab it.
 
http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/games/media/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d8024d5307f1/?of=3 "

 " If you want to play co-op with a player who has already downloaded Fable II Knothole Island content, you will need to download the Fable II Knothole Island (Free) pack, To play the new quests and enjoy the complete Knothole Island co-op experience, both co-op players must download the Knothole Island (Premium) pack.    "
#37 Edited by TheSilentTruth (1151 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @TheSilentTruth said:

" I'm 1% into this download . Yup, Fable II and the DLC packs are free at the moment.  Fuckin' sweet. "
The DLC isn't free for me. There is a free version of the DLC, but they aren't the full DLC. "
Yeah, I noticed that. But hey, it's better than nothing.
 
I guess I'm a little behind.
#38 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8607 posts) -

Downloaded it, and it works, I can load up my old save from 2 years back or something near the end just fine.
 
Thanks Microsoft^^
@smcn: And thanks to you too!  

#39 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -

Just added it to my queue.  I own the game already, but you can't beat free.      :P

#40 Posted by NekuSakuraba (7184 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Just added it to my queue.  I own the game already, but you can't beat free.      :P "
But isn't that wasting time? xD
#41 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

Just qued it up and I'm downloading. I've already gotten all the achievements in the game (save for the See the Future DLC that I don't own) so there's nothing I can really do in the game. But it's free, so who cares?

#42 Posted by JJOR64 (19070 posts) -
@NekuSakuraba said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" Just added it to my queue.  I own the game already, but you can't beat free.      :P "
But isn't that wasting time? xD "
  1. DL the game for free.
  2. Sell retail game.
  3. Profit.
#43 Posted by rjayb89 (7729 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" @NekuSakuraba said:
" @JJOR64 said:
" Just added it to my queue.  I own the game already, but you can't beat free.      :P "
But isn't that wasting time? xD "
  1. DL the game for free.
  2. Sell retail game.
  3. Profit.
"
Whoa, DOWNLOADING NOW.
#44 Posted by Jeffsekai (7054 posts) -

At 20% now

#45 Posted by AndyPhifer (168 posts) -

I wonder what Microsoft will do when they figure out the mistake, if this was a mistake? Could they force-delete it from our consoles? A short ban from online? Or just play it off as a promotion for Fable 3? 
 
Either way, I've got it queued up and look forward to playing this later.
#46 Posted by REDRUN (1410 posts) -
@Mikewrestler5 said:
" I want to queue it up to see if it's actually free, but I keep getting this message.
 
"This content cannot be purchased from Xbox LIVE Web Marketplace because you do not have the latest Xbox LIVE update on your console. Please log into Xbox LIVE with your console before purchasing content from Web Marketplace."
 
Anyone know why it won't let me do it?
"
do you have the fall beta XBL update on your console at this moment?
#47 Edited by JJWeatherman (14571 posts) -
@REDRUN said:

" @Mikewrestler5 said:

" I want to queue it up to see if it's actually free, but I keep getting this message.
 
"This content cannot be purchased from Xbox LIVE Web Marketplace because you do not have the latest Xbox LIVE update on your console. Please log into Xbox LIVE with your console before purchasing content from Web Marketplace."
 
Anyone know why it won't let me do it?

"
do you have the fall beta XBL update on your console at this moment? "
I do, and it's working. Just in case that was your theory. 
 
(But for the record, I still think this is only episode one. I'm a skeptic... <.<    >.>)
#48 Posted by ky326 (255 posts) -

I'm downloading and currently at 1%.

#49 Posted by benjaebe (2784 posts) -

Bunch of users over at CheapAssGamer says it works and it's the full game. Even Gamepro tweeted about it. Not sure what the deal is here, but I don't mind downloading it.

#50 Posted by SomethingClever (423 posts) -

When I went to download it it recognized that I already had before (the episode 1 content).  However, that was not a 6.6gb file when I downloaded it. . . at least I don't think so.  Oh well, downloading now and we'll see what happens (also, I'm on the beta dashboard too if that means anything).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.