Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable II

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 21, 2008

An action-oriented role-playing game set 500 years after the original Fable, this sequel starts players out in the role of a street urchin destined for greatness.

Fable II: See the Future "Review"

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

Hindsight is 20/20: This is Way Better than Knothole

Fable II fans looking for some extended content might have been let down by Knothole Island. The story was kind of mediocre, and while it was nice to revisit a winter-clad terrain... overall, there really wasn't much there. A few potions and some new digs were your reward.

With See the Future, that is no where near the case.

Upon downloading the content, players will be reintroduced to the peddler of prolific crap, Murgo. He'll sell you, for his usual rate of 5 gold, a few trinkets while he waits for a very special delivery. Your task is to toy around with these cursed knick-knacks; a snow globe, a scull, and a couple others.

As you've likely seen by now, inside the snow globe is a village that has been taken over by multi-colored spirits, keeping the fine folk of this damned place from passing on. The world is entirely in grayscale, until you start killing off the spirits and absorbing the experience, where you'll get flickers of color and light again. But rest assured, if for whatever reason a lack of colors is what puts you off... it is by far the shortest portion of the DLC.

I won't get into further details, but what I love about See the Future is how it brings back the charm and the quirkiness of the original Fable II. It's not entirely the grand scheme of things that amazes me, but all of the little things. Their are instances in the original Fable II, like some of the Demon Doors, that legitimately freaked me out. There are more great moments like these to be found, and those are what really help this set come along.

As for the nitty gritty, the extra content isn't bad. Few nifty trinkets, some neat weapons and clothes. All the usual stuff you'd expect from DLC in terms of that content. The time it takes to really sit down and catch those achievements is about 6-8 hours. And all of this greatness only drops 560 points off your balance, so by my book, you're getting a great deal.

If you're a fan of Fable II and you're jonesing for some more content... This is it. Get it. And then join me right below for a little spoilerific discussion of said content.

SPOILER WARNING: I've got some thoughts on See the Future I'd like to share.

So just what is Aurora? I'm not sure, but I think if we look to the clues of See the Future, we'll get a better idea of what it all means.

The first chapter takes place in what is clearly the hero's village from the first Fable. The second chapter seems to revel more in the current game's atmosphere, though perhaps I am wrong. What is The Last Beacon? Perhaps it's just nothing but Lost-esque vague creepyness.

In the end, I believe it's leading up to either a final piece of content or Fable III. Aurora, whatever it/they are... Is going to depend on the fate of your next of kin, who is destined to be the next hero. Perhaps your character will even actually be imported if it's another game, only aged via some crazy algorithm and serve as King. How awesome would that be?

See the Future when I think of it that way, almost seems more like a giant, weird commercial for the next Fable game. That's my thought on the matter, anybody else have their own?

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By DrRandle

Hindsight is 20/20: This is Way Better than Knothole

Fable II fans looking for some extended content might have been let down by Knothole Island. The story was kind of mediocre, and while it was nice to revisit a winter-clad terrain... overall, there really wasn't much there. A few potions and some new digs were your reward.

With See the Future, that is no where near the case.

Upon downloading the content, players will be reintroduced to the peddler of prolific crap, Murgo. He'll sell you, for his usual rate of 5 gold, a few trinkets while he waits for a very special delivery. Your task is to toy around with these cursed knick-knacks; a snow globe, a scull, and a couple others.

As you've likely seen by now, inside the snow globe is a village that has been taken over by multi-colored spirits, keeping the fine folk of this damned place from passing on. The world is entirely in grayscale, until you start killing off the spirits and absorbing the experience, where you'll get flickers of color and light again. But rest assured, if for whatever reason a lack of colors is what puts you off... it is by far the shortest portion of the DLC.

I won't get into further details, but what I love about See the Future is how it brings back the charm and the quirkiness of the original Fable II. It's not entirely the grand scheme of things that amazes me, but all of the little things. Their are instances in the original Fable II, like some of the Demon Doors, that legitimately freaked me out. There are more great moments like these to be found, and those are what really help this set come along.

As for the nitty gritty, the extra content isn't bad. Few nifty trinkets, some neat weapons and clothes. All the usual stuff you'd expect from DLC in terms of that content. The time it takes to really sit down and catch those achievements is about 6-8 hours. And all of this greatness only drops 560 points off your balance, so by my book, you're getting a great deal.

If you're a fan of Fable II and you're jonesing for some more content... This is it. Get it. And then join me right below for a little spoilerific discussion of said content.

SPOILER WARNING: I've got some thoughts on See the Future I'd like to share.

So just what is Aurora? I'm not sure, but I think if we look to the clues of See the Future, we'll get a better idea of what it all means.

The first chapter takes place in what is clearly the hero's village from the first Fable. The second chapter seems to revel more in the current game's atmosphere, though perhaps I am wrong. What is The Last Beacon? Perhaps it's just nothing but Lost-esque vague creepyness.

In the end, I believe it's leading up to either a final piece of content or Fable III. Aurora, whatever it/they are... Is going to depend on the fate of your next of kin, who is destined to be the next hero. Perhaps your character will even actually be imported if it's another game, only aged via some crazy algorithm and serve as King. How awesome would that be?

See the Future when I think of it that way, almost seems more like a giant, weird commercial for the next Fable game. That's my thought on the matter, anybody else have their own?

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pissedoffthewitch

waste o me monays

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By suneku

I enjoyed it. It was cheaper then Knothole, although it was a bit shorter. It had some fun items. Anyways on this subject, I didn't think it was too much of a commercial for the next Fable game because they're probably going to do a story about a different hero. Although it may connect a little bit down the line. Hopefully there will be more DLC that'll expand on what it revealed.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DrRandle

Why was it a waste of your money, I'm curious to know?

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By The_Patriarch

I honestly feel like Lionhead should have focused on giving the core game, you know, the one that cost around 80-90 US dollars here in Denmark, more content, instead of putting out these DLC packs for us to spend more money on. It took me somewhere between 10 and 12 hours to beat the main story and all the sidequest stuff I found interesting. Sure, I mightve been able to force an hour or two more out of the game, but still. I felt robbed at the end of the game, and if Molyneux indeed intends to draw out this storyline (that, in my opinion, isnt really all that interesting) for another 3 or 4 games, I think I'll pass.

DarkSeraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By DarkSeraphim

I have a question, what platform is fable II available on?

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Patriarch
    DarkSeraphim said:
    I have a question, what platform is fable II available on?
    Xbox 360
    DarkSeraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By DarkSeraphim

Thanks. It's been lingering on my mind for quite awhile now.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By Aaron_G

I enjoyed the DLC. It got back into Fable II again. 

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By toowalrus

I bought it, not too shabby.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.