weird co-op experience last night

#1 Posted by AimingWandersly (179 posts) -

couldn't believe how many 'orbs' there were running around in bowerstone market last night. but the really odd thing is that while i was walking around, checking out all the buildings and wooing the ladies (you know what i'm talking bout!) i suddenly got a notice that a random player had gifted me some money.

i don't know if i should be happy or sad here as it's completely changed my experience with the game. he sent me 3,000,000 gold which, in effect, allows me to pretty much do anything at this point. best weapons i can find, all the property i can buy and i've now got two wives and a son.

it's crazy. i mean, it's letting me experience a lot of the game, early on, but i'm worried it's colouring the experience by not making me work for any of it. anyone else run into this kind of random act of philanthropy when you turned the orbs on to 'everyone'?

#2 Posted by TheGTAvaccine (2884 posts) -

I was worried this would happen. Did you have the option to not accept the gift?

#3 Posted by AimingWandersly (179 posts) -

nope. it just appeared. i mean, at first i was kind of stoked on it, because i could buy some property. but then i started worrying that i wouldn't really be experiencing the progression of the game.

#4 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1734 posts) -

Can't you give the gold away or something?

#5 Posted by AimingWandersly (179 posts) -

i guess i could pass it on to another player, i just haven't decided how much i like having an edge vs how much it might change the game experience. i'm a bit of a perfectionist playing games sometimes and if i feel like i'm not playing fairly, it can get to me. i haven't decided if this is a good thing or if it makes the game too easy. wanted to hear someone elses opinion.

i'm also hella tired because i stayed up til 3am last night playing, and left for work at 7:30am.

#6 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

Jesus christ, thats alot of money.

#7 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Well, I mean, the first Fable wasn't very challenging and unfun when broken, so the real question is, is this any different?
If so, shit. Must hurt.

#8 Posted by AimingWandersly (179 posts) -
atejas said:
"Well, I mean, the first Fable wasn't very challenging and unfun when broken, so the real question is, is this any different?
If so, shit. Must hurt."
i'm trying to figure out who's running around handing out millions of dollars. the message popped up and dropped away so quickly i don't even remember their gamertag. anyone know if you can look back at previous messages anywhere in fable ii? the orbs you encounter in the game don't pop up in your recent players list at all (i'm guessing, unless you actually do some co-op with them).
#9 Posted by Tanuki (275 posts) -

Well, I don't have Fable2 yet, stores open in an hour.  But I wonder if this is somehow related to using the Fable 2 Pub Games exploit.  Since Peter.M later said there would be consequences.  Maybe the one way to redeem yourself is to give away all your earnings?  I don't know what the consequences are or anything, so this is purely a guess.   (I also didn't get Pub Games)  But it sounds like a reasonable "get yourself back in the good" standing, type of mechanic.

#10 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

ouch....!!!!!!!!   this is nothing less than a cheat and therefor can ruin the experience a little bit

#11 Posted by AimingWandersly (179 posts) -
Tanuki said:
"Well, I don't have Fable2 yet, stores open in an hour.  But I wonder if this is somehow related to using the Fable 2 Pub Games exploit.  Since Peter.M later said there would be consequences.  Maybe the one way to redeem yourself is to give away all your earnings?  I don't know what the consequences are or anything, so this is purely a guess.   (I also didn't get Pub Games)  But it sounds like a reasonable "get yourself back in the good" standing, type of mechanic."
if that makes it part of the experience, it may help ease my mind a little. i'll just try to give some away when i can and not rely on it too much... i still want the combat to be a challenge...
#12 Posted by Tanuki (275 posts) -
AimingWandersly said:
"Tanuki said:
"Well, I don't have Fable2 yet, stores open in an hour.  But I wonder if this is somehow related to using the Fable 2 Pub Games exploit.  Since Peter.M later said there would be consequences.  Maybe the one way to redeem yourself is to give away all your earnings?  I don't know what the consequences are or anything, so this is purely a guess.   (I also didn't get Pub Games)  But it sounds like a reasonable "get yourself back in the good" standing, type of mechanic."
if that makes it part of the experience, it may help ease my mind a little. i'll just try to give some away when i can and not rely on it too much... i still want the combat to be a challenge..."

Oh, for sure.  I don't think I'd want friggin' 3 mil' handed to me right off the bat.  But it would be "punishing" to those who cheated, although maybe a little unfairly nice to people that don't want to spoil their experience.  But you don't HAVE to use it.  So I say give it away.  ;)  Well, get yourself some cool new boots or something, then give the rest away.  :P
#13 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I wouldn't complain. I would buy everything like crazy. :-) You only live once right? I wonder if that applies to videogames...

#14 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

If this is going to be happening I'll have to play without internet for a week or so. I don't want people giving me money. Not being able to refuse is stupid, especially if you don't know the person.

#15 Posted by nickyvegas (110 posts) -
#16 Posted by JoshS (409 posts) -
nickyvegas said:
"

Is it only people on your friends list that you see as orbs in the game?  That was the impression i was under.

"
You can set it that way I believe. But I don't know for sure. Walmart didn't have the game this morning at 9 when I went. They said it might be on the truck that comes at 2. and I refuse to drive 10-15miles to a bestbuy or whatever. Same with the gamecrazy right by walmart. They are as bad as gamestop here. "Did you preorder?" "no" "sorry. cant sell it to you"
#17 Posted by AimingWandersly (179 posts) -
nickyvegas said:

Is it only people on your friends list that you see as orbs in the game?  That was the impression i was under.

you can set the orbs to show only people in your friends list or everyone. and there's a surprisingly huge amount of players online every time i've been on so far (last night til 3am and today at 11am EST).
#18 Posted by SolemnOaf (535 posts) -

quick ? for you. 
Is it true that when you play co-op, either online or off, that the player who joins a game is converted into a generic henchmen in the host's game and does not play as their own created character? 

#19 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I would have just blown all that money on hookers and booze within 15 minutes...

#20 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

You are forced to accept gifts. They are non negotiable. Which is fucking retarded, because people run around ruining the game for other people with glitched gold (although I predicted the game's economy would be shit in a blog quite a long time ago). Still, you can turn off orbs, although orbs are too awesome to turn off.

#21 Edited by SolemnOaf (535 posts) -
SolemnOaf said:
"quick ? for you. 
Is it true that when you play co-op, either online or off, that the player who joins a game is converted into a generic henchmen in the host's game and does not play as their own created character? "

alright, I found the answer on GB's Fable2 page.  Now i'm sad.  Kinda angry, too.  If the press actually did their fucking jobs and informed people about a game's features I would have known this long before now.  Instead they're too busy cheerleading, waving their pompoms around while riding the hype-train to moneyhatville. 

Who the hell wants to play as a henchman, anyways?  I mean, if you're going to have such a pathetic and stupid way to implement a feature, it's best not to have it at all. 
Too Human > Fable 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.