Worked as a blacksmith for a couple hours and bought the place...

#1 Posted by walter_sobchak (139 posts) -

I think MMOs have broken me a bit.  So used to grinding for something...  The first time I encountered the blacksmith shop in the first town, I did the blacksmith mini-game for a while 'till I had 54k, then bought the place.  Now I make 650 gold every 5 minutes when I'm playing.

Did I read somewhere that you earn that profit even while not playing?  Is it the same amount or reduced?  heh, if It's the same, then next time I log in I should have around 150k gold

#2 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

Yes, this is true.

When you log back in, you should receive a lump sum of what you earned while you were offline. I believe it's the same amount as normal.

#3 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -
Cube said:
"Yes, this is true.

When you log back in, you should receive a lump sum of what you earned while you were offline. I believe it's the same amount as normal."
Sort of. I think I figured it out. The amount you get per hour (5 minutes in real time = 1 hour in game time) when your xbox is off is equal to the amount per hour when it's on, but you only get gold once every *real* hour when you're not actually playing.
#4 Posted by walter_sobchak (139 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Cube said:
Sort of. I think I figured it out. The amount you get per hour (5 minutes in real time = 1 hour in game time) when your xbox is off is equal to the amount per hour when it's on, but you only get gold once every *real* hour when you're not actually playing."
Ah, ok.  So supposing I make 600g per in-game hour (5 minutes). 

If I leave my xbox on when I go to work (8 hours), I'd make 57.6k gold (600 * 12 (game hours in one real-time hour) * 8 (hours at work))

If I leave my xbox off when I go to work, I'd make 4.8k gold (600 * 8 (hours at work))

I'll test this out and post tomorrow.
#5 Posted by MB (11891 posts) -

Mark it zero, dude.

#6 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6039 posts) -

I bought out one measly house to rent out and a couple of stalls.  I'm making huge bank playing the game, but I didn't realize I'll continue to make money with the Xbox off.

I love this game.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by walter_sobchak (139 posts) -
MB said:
"Mark it zero, dude."
I'ts a league game, Smokey.
#8 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
walter_sobchak said:
If I leave my xbox on when I go to work (8 hours)
You're calling for a RROD.
#9 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -
Meowayne said:
"walter_sobchak said:
You're calling for a RROD."
The game does not have to be on i think. It does it while off  from what i have heard.
#10 Posted by krazychris (210 posts) -
Pibo47 said:
"Meowayne said:
"walter_sobchak said:
You're calling for a RROD."
The game does not have to be on i think. It does it while off  from what i have heard."
I don't have Fable 2 but couldn't you just change the date on your xbox and rake in the cash that way. Or mabye Peter will "punish you" *lighting strike*
#11 Posted by walter_sobchak (139 posts) -

Yeah Pibo47, see Jayge's post about that (third one in this thread). 

And I don't feel like messing with my 360 clock, though there are threads in the official forum which tell you exactly how to exploit that.

#12 Posted by mad4it89 (115 posts) -
walter_sobchak said:
"Yeah Pibo47, see Jayge's post about that (third one in this thread). 

And I don't feel like messing with my 360 clock, though there are threads in the official forum which tell you exactly how to exploit that.
"
I just made 190k gold using that glitch.
#13 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -
mad4it89 said:
"walter_sobchak said:
"Yeah Pibo47, see Jayge's post about that (third one in this thread). 

"
I just made 190k gold using that glitch."
Only 190k? if you're going to cheat, you should cheat big style, make millions...

When I get the game tomorrow I intend on playing it normally, I wouldn't want to cheat and ruin the game experience, but if I was going to cheat I would do it properly!!!!
Moderator Online
#14 Posted by walter_sobchak (139 posts) -

Yeah, I'm not going to exploit it.  I think just doing blacksmithing for a couple hours isn't really breaking the game.

#15 Posted by PureRok (4235 posts) -

You can only get a total of ten five minute payments while offline at a time. After fifty minutes of being off of the game you have to get back on to pick up your payment and then get off again to start getting the off time payments... or so I've read.

#16 Posted by Davvyk (693 posts) -
Tarsier said:
"Ugh, so many problems like this with Fable 2.
Damn Peter Molyneoux! Always talking about how great he is at making games and constantly screwing up!
"
i have to say i hate the anti molyneoux sentiment. the guy goes out and makes a game that is considered excellent by most outlets and people still wheel out the "peter.m oh he makes games that dont live up to......blah blah blah" letsjust give the buy a break. yes its the first excellent game lionhead have made but the man WAS bullfrog and they ruled so lets, for now, just be happy one of his games has worked out excellent.

feel free to start the shitstorm about his next game however
#17 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -
PureRok said:
"You can only get a total of ten five minute payments while offline at a time. After fifty minutes of being off of the game you have to get back on to pick up your payment and then get off again to start getting the off time payments... or so I've read."
I dunno if you're right on that one. I was making maybe 400-something or 500-something and I came back after around 20 hours and had over 7 grand waiting for me.
#18 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6039 posts) -

I bought up a ton of smaller property last night after woodchopping for a few hours.  I've had the game off since midnight and will be back on at 10-12 tonight, so it'll be roughly 12 hours.  If I remember, I'll log back on here and report how much I made.

Moderator Online
#19 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -
Jayge said:
"Cube said:
"Yes, this is true.

When you log back in, you should receive a lump sum of what you earned while you were offline. I believe it's the same amount as normal."
Sort of. I think I figured it out. The amount you get per hour (5 minutes in real time = 1 hour in game time) when your xbox is off is equal to the amount per hour when it's on, but you only get gold once every *real* hour when you're not actually playing."
I did the math and this is what I came up with too. I thought about cheating and putting my 360 a year ahead, but it seems like too much work right now....

Also, I found that if your game is paused and you leave for a bit, you still get X amount per 5 minutes, and not per hour. So you could leave your 360 on all night and just turn on your TV, and controller, press Start and see the money pop.
#20 Edited by English (158 posts) -

I spent enough time doing the blacksmith and woodcutter to buy a few stalls and houses. It seemed to me that the stalls earned more then the houses on a profit:price ratio. I found the blacksmith job to be really annoying, took me a long time to build up any semblance of skill at it. 

Then, after a long time collecting rent and questing and chopping wood, which was a little easier, I sold all the stalls and houses that I had bought, and along with the money I had accumulated, I bought the bar at oakvale. That earned around 800 gold per 5 minutes, I can't recall if I set the price up or not. 

Then, I allowed some gold from the bar to accumulate, and worked the bartender job at bowerstone. This is probably my favorite job so far at level 4, though I preferred it more at level 3 as the speed at which the drinks filled wasn't so quick, so I didn't lose my multipliers as often. After more saving, I finally bought the blacksmith at bowerstone. This added 1300(?) to my 5 minute income, bringing up the total to around 2100. 

There's two ways to look at moneymaking, one being to try and start building your income ASAP when you first come to bowerstone. the alternate would be to wait until later in the quests when some good jobs start to open up and then power through those and start buying property then. Personally, I think with some of the more interesting jobs (like the bounty hunter, and the bartender) opening up later, this might be your best bet.
#21 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I actually did the same exact thing when I started up the game. When I found the first woodcutter job I did the same thing and so on. Grinding has always been something I do...and I somehow enjoy it (to a certain extent).

#22 Posted by PitifullPete (145 posts) -

Wow, all of you don't mind doing the same thing for "a few hours"?! Aren't these grind jobs somewhat tedious?

#23 Posted by Milkman (16483 posts) -
PitifullPete said:
"Wow, all of you don't mind doing the same thing for "a few hours"?! Aren't these grind jobs somewhat tedious?"
I agree. I'd rather just play the damn game then worry about "Well, if my calculations are correct, I can be making about 1,000 more gold an hour by doing this and that! EUREKA!" Sorry...not for me.
#24 Edited by Callik (138 posts) -
PitifullPete said:
"Wow, all of you don't mind doing the same thing for "a few hours"?! Aren't these grind jobs somewhat tedious?"
I'm pretty sure MMOs, especially WoW, has corrupted my mind. When you used to spend the best of 30 hours a week watching 40 green bars changing in size and pressing one button the blacksmith/woodcutter tasks become almost...enjoyable. Trying to beat my highest multiplier is a good fun. Not as fun as AOE flaming death mind you but it's not monotomous.
#25 Edited by PitifullPete (145 posts) -

I'm just curious because in the next forum I will read complaint (of maybe some of the same people) how stupid a game is for proving just too many fetching quests. It's interesting. Two variables come to my mind: a) the reviewer will mention it as a negative point (whereas in Fable II they mentioned the flawed economics, which gamers must prove right) b) fable IIs jobs a voluntary, whereas fetching quests are often a must do.

#26 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

oh wow.  I should just grind that minigame for awhile and do the same. neat.

#27 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

MMOs have broken me in too. I'm almost done with blacksmithing, and I'll probably go for another job right after.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.