You said there would be dynamic combat, Lionhead....

#1 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Where is the dynamic combat?
Seriously, what happened to the first few videos in which people were pinned to walls before being stabbed, and all the promises of using chandeliers and chairs in bar brawls?

#2 Posted by KindGalaxy (429 posts) -

webmaster@lionhead.com

Lionhead Studios
1 Occam Court
Surrey Research Park
Guildford
Surrey
GU2 7YQ
United Kingdom

+44 (0) 1483 401000 - telephone

#3 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

roflz n u bleevd thm?!?!?! lolololololololololololol

But seriously, you actually took stock in what Molyneux said? C'mon, you should know better than that by now.

#4 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"roflz n u bleevd thm?!?!?! lolololololololololololol

But seriously, you actually took stock in what Molyneux said? C'mon, you should know better than that by now."
I actually saw vidoes of this. So yeah, looks like I did. Unfortunately
#5 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
atejas said:
"BiggerBomb said:

But seriously, you actually took stock in what Molyneux said? C'mon, you should know better than that by now."
I actually saw vidoes of this. So yeah, looks like I did. Unfortunately"

Fable broke my heart, I vowed never to trust Molyneux again. I'm sorry Peter, but condoms don't make a game cool.
#6 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"atejas said:
"BiggerBomb said:

I actually saw vidoes of this. So yeah, looks like I did. Unfortunately"

Fable broke my heart, I vowed never to trust Molyneux again. I'm sorry Peter, but condoms don't make a game cool."
Eh, still looks fun, though(yeah, condoms et al). Combat looks generic, but fun, and I'm still looking forward to some trader massacres.
#7 Posted by MattyFTM (14423 posts) -

Did lionhead say it, or did peter molyneux say it? When it comes to reliability of information, the two are completely different. If it was the latter, then what do you expect!!!!!

#8 Posted by VilhelmNielsen (1740 posts) -

How do you know it won't have dynamic combat?

#9 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -
VilhelmNielsen said:
"How do you know it won't have dynamic combat?"

The new gameplay vids- nothing but old hack'n'slash gameplay against Balverines. They're on the forums, if I recall.
#10 Posted by Rio (595 posts) -

I think "Dynamic" combat is very gimmicky, annoying, and very unbalanced for obvious reasons.   I would prefer the bulk of combat design to be focused on a proper combat model, which is what we have seen in recent demos.  The way I understand it, however, is that there are still "dynamic" elements in the game it has merely been toned down.  We havent exactly seen players fighting in towns and bars recently so there hasn't been optimal opportunities to show anything off.

The original  "cutscene every 2 secs" combat did not look all that fantastic, I definitely prefer the fluid combat I have seen recently.

#11 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Oh that Peter.
He is such a trickster.

#12 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -

Why do people think Fable 2 is going to be game of the year again?

Did they not learn after hyping Fable 1 or something?

#13 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

Stuff like this is always disappointing anyways, as it is challenging to get the same control with a makeshift weapon like a stick that you get with your base choices. I remember how cool I thought using different weapons would be in wind waker, but in the end it was just a dumb feature.

#14 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
BoG said:
"Stuff like this is always disappointing anyways, as it is challenging to get the same control with a makeshift weapon like a stick that you get with your base choices. I remember how cool I thought using different weapons would be in wind waker, but in the end it was just a dumb feature."

You take that back! Wind Waker is a great game!
#15 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"BoG said:
"Stuff like this is always disappointing anyways, as it is challenging to get the same control with a makeshift weapon like a stick that you get with your base choices. I remember how cool I thought using different weapons would be in wind waker, but in the end it was just a dumb feature."

You take that back! Wind Waker is a great game!"
I love wind waker, I was simply disappointed about using my enemy's weapon. Using a lame stick was as fun as using some massive sword, and either way you were still better off with your base weapon.
#16 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

Oooh, you're talking about the use of enemy weapons. I completely forgot that you could even do that, yeah I know what you mean.

#17 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4779 posts) -

I need a link to a video proving that the combat is no longer dynamic cause all i've seen lately still shows a dynamic combat.

#18 Posted by Patchinko (841 posts) -
BoG said:
Kingdom Hearts comes to mind for some reason. I remember getting new keyblades, I just don't remember the new one being any cooler than the old one every time I upgraded.
#19 Posted by brukaoru (5079 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Oh that Peter.
He is such a trickster."
I love your posts. :D
#20 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
Patchinko said:
"BoG said:
Kingdom Hearts comes to mind for some reason. I remember getting new keyblades, I just don't remember the new one being any cooler than the old one every time I upgraded."
Thank god someone else thought so xD
#21 Posted by Zebadee (491 posts) -

I believe this "dynamic combat" was a presentation Peter did mixing ideas about how future combat in games could be, I could be wrong but I don't think he said anywhere that this feature of grabbing a bottle off the bar or grabing a chair and chucking it at someone was going to be in Fable 2. Again I could be wrong, if I am prove me wrong please.

#22 Posted by creamstatic (119 posts) -

Peter Pan currently lives in NeverNever Land. Remember those words.

#23 Posted by Sandvich (21 posts) -

Obviously I've not played the game so I could be wrong, but:

You are supposed to be able to earn "flourishes" that apply to whichever combat method you skill-up (magic, melee, ranged) and those flourishes kick in dynamically based on the situation so it's possible that the key elements you are worried about (the chandalier stuff, the wall-pin) might just be some flourishes saved for the higher-end melee levels that activate when you are in close quarters combat in the interior of a building. Perhaps they aren't showing them nowdays because they don't want to spoil the little surprises you get as you level up.

Then again, maybe I'm just a doe-eyed optimist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.