Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable III

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

The third game in the Fable series sets you with the task of overthrowing your own brother, the tyrant ruler of Albion, as the kingdom enters the industrial era.

Fable 3: evil is the new good? (spoilers)

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

So I just beat Fable 3. Overall I enjoyed it just as much as Fable 2, which is to say a lot. Now I want to talk about the ending. No, not the problem that Brad had with it, although I agree with him on that part being stupid and badly designed. I want to talk about the way my ending played out and the rather odd message it seemed to be conveying to me. 

There are a total of four different ending based on whether you kept your promises and how much gold is in the treasury. 
    They are as following... 

• Good ending -  You kept your promises and got enough gold to defend Albion.
    • Somewhat Good ending - You kept your promises but did not have enough gold to defend Albion.
    • Kind of Bad ending - You did not kept your promises but got enough gold to defend Albion.
    • Bad ending -  You did not kept your promises and did not have enough gold to defend Albion.

I decided to go down the evil path for my first play-though. When I became king and it was time to decide on my promises I did not keep them (thats what evil people do after all). Because of this I acquired lots of gold and it was more then enough to fill the treasury. So, I ending up with the "Kind of bad ending". 

Now here's why I say kind of bad. As I'm breaking my promises and siding with Reaver, I'm destroying Albion. People hate me, the land starts looking crappy, and my karma meter dropped right into the red. But once I stopped the Crawler my standing changed. Because I had enough gold, no one died, and because no one died I was proclaimed a hero and loved by all! Even in the final scene with  Theresa she told me that betraying my allies was the right thing to do because it saved Albion. So I guess its ok to be evil as long as you save everyone? 

Ok, so what happens if you get the opposite ending which is the "Somewhat good ending"? Well, everyone loves you because your keeping your promises and making Albion a better place. But since you don't get enough money tons of people die and now everyone hates you. The "Kind of bad ending" seems sort of better doesn't it? 

So the message of Fable 3's ending is that its better to do the wrong thing rather then the right thing as long as the ends justify the means. I don't know about you but that seems like a shitty moral to me. 

Still, its a great game with some annoying flaws thats worth getting. Now I'm off to start my good female play-though.
    Reizarvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Reizarvg

It's not saying you can do what you want so long as it works, it's saying that when you're king and faced with an apocalyptic force of darkness invading in a year you can't afford to turn a factory into a fucking school. It's also saying that ruling a country is difficult, and sometimes you have to make choices that people will hate you for but will ultimately improve/save the kingdom.

ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By ethan_raiden

Let me tell you, it seems much easier to be evil in that game than it is to be good, I like a lot passed the point of no return with not enough gold in my treasury thinking I had time to fill it, so I had the kind of good ending, but now my world is completely empty, there are no citizens at all, and only guards, and the final message I got was along the lines of your actions have made sure that anyone that is left, and the children that they have will always remember you for destroying albion.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @Reizarvg said:

" It's not saying you can do what you want so long as it works, it's saying that when you're king and faced with an apocalyptic force of darkness invading in a year you can't afford to turn a factory into a fucking school. It's also saying that ruling a country is difficult, and sometimes you have to make choices that people will hate you for but will ultimately improve/save the kingdom. "

True, but I don't think dumping crap into a town, or turning a orphanage into a whore house is helpful for saving your kingdom, just evil.
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By damswedon

The way to get the absolute evil ending would to destroy the land and take all the gold from the country.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By stinky
    @Reizarvg said:
    " It's not saying you can do what you want so long as it works, it's saying that when you're king and faced with an apocalyptic force of darkness invading in a year you can't afford to turn a factory into a fucking school. It's also saying that ruling a country is difficult, and sometimes you have to make choices that people will hate you for but will ultimately improve/save the kingdom. "
    haven't played it but this guy said what i was thinking from a logical standpoint.  

i would also add that a fault of many games is that production/time does not allow for enough varied endings based on choices made in game. 
    endings a lot of times are "meh" or not as sophisticated as you like.
    Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Oldirtybearon
    @wasteguru: I got the better ending, I think. I had almost 6 million gold and did not break a single promise. I did make some compromises, and at the end Theresa lauded me for doing the right thing and not becoming a tyrant in the process. 

So really, Fable 3 tests your character. Are you strong enough to do what is necessary (not what is easy), or will you fold like origami and become the thing you wanted to stop? 

If Brad did what you did, then I'm glad he hates Fable 3 and doesn't want to play it again. He failed, and his Albion/world is reflected by it. 
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jeanluc  Staff
    @KingWilly: 
    First off, I didn't fail. I did exactly what I want to do; save the kingdom by being an asshole. What surprised me was that the game told me that I did the right thing by being evil. Normally your suppose to be berated for being evil.

Second, I'm pretty sure what happened to Brad was he was good and kept all his promises. He ran out of money because of this, but before he could get more money the final battle triggered because the game doesn't warn you about the point of no return. I feel bad for Brad because he would probably think more highly of the game if that didn't happen to him.
    Reizarvg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Reizarvg
    @wasteguru said:
    " @Reizarvg said:

True, but I don't think dumping crap into a town, or turning a orphanage into a whore house is helpful for saving your kingdom, just evil. "
    But it does. You needed all the money you could get to prepare for the invasion. The whorehouse gives you money, and if you build a sewage plant that costs money. It's not about being a dick for the sake of it, it's about making the hard choice. Doing things that you have to do in order to save kingdom even though people will hate you for doing them.
    MrMyxo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MrMyxo

or you just wait for a hourer and you have more then you need :D 
     in the end i had more then 16 000 000 so no problem to be good, to bad all are drunk :P

good game but laging

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.