Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable III

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

The third game in the Fable series sets you with the task of overthrowing your own brother, the tyrant ruler of Albion, as the kingdom enters the industrial era.

Fable: The redheaded stepchild of Microsoft games.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Edited By MooseyMcMan

Ever notice that whenever people talk about Fable, it's usually either about how it didn't live up to some grandiose promise that Molyneux made, or about just not liking the game in general?  

Well, I have. And while I can understand the first one (I still don't see any trees growing in real time), I don't really get why so many people are always downing on Fable.  

First, let me explain my history with the Fable games. I never played the first one, mainly because I didn't have an Xbox at the time. When Fable II came out, the reviews were mixed, so I waited for it to go on sale. I ended up picking it up for $30-ish, and loved every last second of the two times I played it. Seriously, I played it through once (playing as a good guy, of course), and immediately had to go back in and do it again (this time being all evil and whatnot).  

Now, I'm not saying that my gaming tastes are the same as everyone else's (I seem to have enjoyed Deadly Premonition more than most people), but I still don't really get why so many people seem to dislike Fable. Do people these days just not like action-adventure games? Do they not like anything that tries to be laid-back and move at a leisurely pace? Do they not have fun unless games are about nothing but shooting people/zombies/aliens in the face?  

What I liked about Fable II was the fact that it reminded me of the games I played as a young lad, where I would just go exploring for hours on end, not actually accomplishing anything toward beating the game, but still having lots of fun. But from what I've read on websites, I guess this yesteryear of gaming only ever existed in my memory, with me not playing games the way they were intended to be played, and spending countless hours messing around in games like Banjo-Tooie, rather than collecting Jiggies or actually beating the game...

Anyway, to get back to the point, Fable III comes out today. And as always, reviews are all over the place. IGN says the game is great, and that anyone can play it. GiantBomb's Brad said that the game has plenty of great moments, but a lot of stuff dragging it down (he didn't seem too fond of the ending he got). Destructoid, meanwhile, gave it a 5.  

But what does all that mean to me? It means that it's just another Fable game, which means that when I play it, I'm probably going to love every second of it, just like I did with Fable II. And I'm probably going to end up playing it twice, just so that I can do it again as a bad guy. 

The hell with mediocre reviews, and the hell with haters. I love me some Fable, and I hope that they make a Fable IV. I think they should probably wait a while before doing it, but someday. 

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Ever notice that whenever people talk about Fable, it's usually either about how it didn't live up to some grandiose promise that Molyneux made, or about just not liking the game in general?  

Well, I have. And while I can understand the first one (I still don't see any trees growing in real time), I don't really get why so many people are always downing on Fable.  

First, let me explain my history with the Fable games. I never played the first one, mainly because I didn't have an Xbox at the time. When Fable II came out, the reviews were mixed, so I waited for it to go on sale. I ended up picking it up for $30-ish, and loved every last second of the two times I played it. Seriously, I played it through once (playing as a good guy, of course), and immediately had to go back in and do it again (this time being all evil and whatnot).  

Now, I'm not saying that my gaming tastes are the same as everyone else's (I seem to have enjoyed Deadly Premonition more than most people), but I still don't really get why so many people seem to dislike Fable. Do people these days just not like action-adventure games? Do they not like anything that tries to be laid-back and move at a leisurely pace? Do they not have fun unless games are about nothing but shooting people/zombies/aliens in the face?  

What I liked about Fable II was the fact that it reminded me of the games I played as a young lad, where I would just go exploring for hours on end, not actually accomplishing anything toward beating the game, but still having lots of fun. But from what I've read on websites, I guess this yesteryear of gaming only ever existed in my memory, with me not playing games the way they were intended to be played, and spending countless hours messing around in games like Banjo-Tooie, rather than collecting Jiggies or actually beating the game...

Anyway, to get back to the point, Fable III comes out today. And as always, reviews are all over the place. IGN says the game is great, and that anyone can play it. GiantBomb's Brad said that the game has plenty of great moments, but a lot of stuff dragging it down (he didn't seem too fond of the ending he got). Destructoid, meanwhile, gave it a 5.  

But what does all that mean to me? It means that it's just another Fable game, which means that when I play it, I'm probably going to love every second of it, just like I did with Fable II. And I'm probably going to end up playing it twice, just so that I can do it again as a bad guy. 

The hell with mediocre reviews, and the hell with haters. I love me some Fable, and I hope that they make a Fable IV. I think they should probably wait a while before doing it, but someday. 

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Huey2k2

Games are subjective.... Who would have thought?

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By thatfrood

Because I want Black and White II goddamnit.
    And I mean a real Black and White II.

GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By GoofyGoober

Loved the lost chapters, never really had much interest to play the second one for some reason. The fable games do have good things about them but just like any other game out there with crazy hype, people are allowed to hate it. 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't know what it is. Those games seem right up my alley, and tho I certainly don't hate them, for some reason I can't ever seem to "get into" them. It's one of those games that I think if it hit me at the perfect time, in the perfect mood, I could end up getting real hooked on it.

The release of Fable III has had me thinking about going back to give Fable II another whirl.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Trilogy
    @ProfessorEss said:
    " I don't know what it is. Those games seem right up my alley, and tho I certainly don't hate them, for some reason I can't ever seem to "get into" them. It's one of those games that I think if it hit me at the perfect time, in the perfect mood, I could end up getting real hooked on it.  The release of Fable III has had me thinking about going back to give Fable II another whirl. "
    Fable 2 took a long time for to hook me. I would pop it in, play 5 minutes of it, and turn it off. Then one day I got sucked into the game like a whirlwind. I played it nonstop one weekend doing everything there is to do in Albion and then took on the dlc. I'm like that with a lot of games, usually rpgs. It's hard for me to get sucked in but once I do...it gets dangerous.
    zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

Nope, whenever i talk about it i tell people i loved the game. 

I don't listen to press conferences or anything so i don't know of any of the stuff Peter promises. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@drag said:

" Out of interest, where was there to explore in Fable II? Beyond the opening area every other location was narrow and linear as all hell ... you picked a pretty bad game to be an explorer in.  "

This, I was always let down by the fable games as everything was just so closed in. If you got lost exploring in fable 2 then don’t play an elder scrolls games!

If fable went open world I’d be the first to get a copy. I’ll leave 3 alone.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Most people seem to lean on the "it didn't live up to the promises" thing. I didn't pay any attention to the hype because I didn't have an XBox at the time, so I enjoyed it when I finally got round to it.

StartAndPause

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StartAndPause

I played the first one on PC cause I didnt have an xbox and loved it, the second one was both an improvement and a decline a d I've yet to get the 3rd. (UK release date is Friday) I totally agree about the amount of hating on fable but I'm inclined to assume it's just a haven't played it, don't understand it attitude.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @Trilogy said:
    I'm like that with a lot of games, usually rpgs. It's hard for me to get sucked in but once I do...it gets dangerous. "
    Yeah I'm the same, that's why I always assume there's still hope for me and the Fable franchise.
    OneManX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By OneManX
    @drag said:
    " Out of interest, where was there to explore in Fable II? Beyond the opening area every other location was narrow and linear as all hell ... you picked a pretty bad game to be an explorer in.  "
    The side quest, jobs, Demon Doors, Gargoyles, buying up shops and raking in money, or collecting expressions/tricks/weapons etc.

I've been hooked on Fable 2 for a bit, but it hits me in a Zelda like way, yes the game isn't open world like a GTA, but there is always something to do, and the game is pretty lenient on letting you complete tasks when you want to. 
    Amsterdaam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Amsterdaam

I'm going to pick it up in a few minutes.  Read my blog this afternoon for an opinion from a fellow Fable fan. 

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By asurastrike

Fable pretends to be about choice, meanwhile every decision is completely binary. Press A to do evil, press X to do Good.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Because they're simplistic one-button action-RPG/adventure games, in my own case. No challenge and no progression.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By hero_swe

What's wrong with redheads?!
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By mazik765
    @MooseyMcMan said:

Destructoid, meanwhile, gave it a 5.

Destuctoid reviews don't count, as far as I'm concerned. They are basically the Armond White of the video game review world at this point.

I have had the same experience with the Fable series. I love games where there is tons to discover (my friends make fun of my love for games like Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts and Viva Pinata). One argument I hear concerning Fable 2 a lot if 'the boss fight literally just made you push a button and you won!' which to me is the stupidest argument you can make. Was there a single other boss in the entire game? No, not really (MAYBE the guy on the spire, but that's it). So why would you expect a boss battle at the end of the game? Wouldn't it make more sense that a game that has moral choices as it's core mechnic end the game with giving you a huge moral choice to make? 

Anyway /rant, good read and I totally agree with you.

EDIT: @Asurastrike said:
    " Fable pretends to be about choice, meanwhile every decision is completely binary. Press A to do evil, press X to do Good. "
    Isn't that still a choice?
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By project343

Molyneux's hyped stands up in Fable 3. Example: there are drastic changes to the world based on your choices. Places change, grow, decay, etc..

Hitman23249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hitman23249

If you expect to much from a game, it will never reach expectations. So instead of trying to find ways it's not waht it could be, appriciate the game play and don't try to see how it's failed as a game.

IMO, it''s a great game, and although it's a bit slow at first i am loving every minute of it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

I'm curious why everyone has such a stigma for redheaded children. We stopped burning them for witchcraft a few hundred years ago.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By valrog

I kind of like Fable. The only thing that I have a problem with are the "Quest cards", which I think are completely ridiculous, and that your character is changing for every. Goddamn. Thing. Other than that, I think it's an alright game.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I loved the first all the way up until the awful ending.  

I never played the second, but from what my brother says, he loved it all the way up until its awful ending, too. 

Fable 3? Well, I don't have a 360 any more, so we'll have to wait and see if I love it all the way up until its (probably) awful ending.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#25  Edited By LordAndrew

The key thing is to read the review, and pay attention to what's said. If the things that the reviewers don't like sound like they won't bother you, go ahead and get Fable III. I have read negative reviews and decided that I still want to play the game after reading it.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Gabriel
    @ryanwho said:

" I'm curious why everyone has such a stigma for redheaded children. We stopped burning them for witchcraft a few hundred years ago. "

Doesn't mean they stopped doing it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.