So Fable 3 is coming out soon......

#1 Posted by Texas (10 posts) -

I just thought that I would share how I felt about the first two games, and what I am expecting from the new one. 

The First Fable game is by far my favorite video game of all time. The story is great, the combat is great, the leveling system is great. The only thing that the game needs is an update on the graphics because it is pretty old. The way they did the leveling system in Fable was flawless in my opinion. Whenever you are fighting you get a combat multiplier based on how many hits you got off before you took damage, and when you kill something you get exp based on what weapon you used (magic, melee, or ranged) and then the exp would reflect the combat multiplier. Then you could spend the exp on upgraded different magic abilities or combat speed, strength ect........All in all Fable: The Lost Chapters is a 10/10 for me. 

Fable 2 on the other hand is a disappointment in just about every way. When I bought my 360 that was the first game I bought for it thinking " Hey Fable was good, so the second one should be so much better!" But I soon realized that I was wrong. The first thing I noticed when I played Fable 2 is the fact that I had no idea where I was. You HAVE to follow that little bread crumb trail to get places. In the first Fable the maps were simple enough that you didnt need to follow little trails everywhere which I liked very much. Secondly you acctually have to spend exp on learning how to block, dodge, and flourish. Wow what, what kind of hero does not know how to block and dodge. In the first game you already can do these things without having to buy them. Also the way the way you get money. I love sitting there for 30 min chopping wood and making swords just as much as the next guy but why not just get all the money you need from doing quests, another thing that was in Fable that did not carry over. The magic system feels unfriendly and hard to use. You are take too much damage when you are casting the spells and they dont seem to be worth the trouble. And they took out my favorite spells from the first game :(  . I got about a quarter of the way through this game and stopped because I just cannot play it.  

I am real excited about the new game coming out. I hope that they keep all the good things that made the game fun and fix the bad things that made the second game not. I want them to keep the magic system from the first game, it worked well and was fun to use. The combat was good in both games, so I guess they will just keep on using the same type. I do like the guns from the second game so I do hope they make that better as well. I know that they wont change the leveling system because it has worked so well in both of the other games. I hope they put more quests that have to do with which path you choose. It would also be nice for them to add a lot more customization. Maybe not more ways to customize, but to add more to what they already have. Like more tattoos, and more haircuts, and clothes etc... 

I know I ranted on about Fable 2 a lot but that game was in my opinion and huge disappoinment. I really hope that they make the third one better then ever.      

What you yall think about the first 2 games, and what do you hope for in the 3rd?
#2 Posted by Jasonofindy (258 posts) -

I actually thought Fable 2 was light years better than Fable 1, and it just edged out Fallout 3 as my favorite game of that year.  Now thinking back I can honestly say that I can only remember two or 3 things about either game because I played each of them when each of my two children were infants and up a lot at night.  I think it is because of the sleep deprivation but I honestly don't remember many specifics about either game.  (Although I do remember very different opinions of Fable 2 from my friends depending on whether they played it off the hard drive or the DVD).

#3 Posted by Claude (16251 posts) -

I didn't play the original Fable, but I really enjoyed Fable 2. I guess I had no expectations going in and had a blast playing. I loved my dog, wife and four children. The bread crumb trail never bothered me. Sometimes, I would see it and go the opposite way. I also liked the combat in Fable 2, by the end, I was a badass. Overall, I thought it was a great game and I'm really looking forward to Fable 3.

#4 Posted by captain_awesome (41 posts) -

Wait, why do you think fable's story is great? I mean I liked the gameplay and the atmosphere but it was far from a great game when I look back at it. 

#5 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -
@Texas said:
 The First Fable game is by far my favorite video game of all time. 
 I nearly stopped there. Jesus...I mean, to each his own, but I cannot possibly understand that. Also, Fable 2 is identical to the first in so many ways so God knows how it could be such a confusing disappointment for you. I think the third game will be, as the first two, kinda disappointing, and hopefully the end of the series so Lionhead can use their talents in new and original ways because the whole Fable thing really isn't working all that well....it's a great idea and the games are certainly fun but I always find myself expecting and wanting more whenever I play them. Both of the games just feel like they took a really good RPG formula, and watered it down as much as possible to the point where it becomes completely unrewarding and unfulfilling. Nothing about Fable or Fable 2 is interesting enough for me to ever care about the characters or the story or what I'm actually doing, the combat system is one of the most mind-crushingly basic I've ever played, and what puts that into context is the fact that I've never died in a Fable game, there's nowhere near enough loot for me to care about running around the landscape letting my dog dig things up or completing the dull side missions, even the whole system of marrying someone and having a baby and buying your own house...it's like I did that, and then said "Ok...now what? When does this get interesting?", it just feels so pointless, just like almost every other facet of the gameplay, nothing about the games ever made me give a shit. Oh and the way you interact with NPCs...I hate it, I hate that so much, I can't even explain how much I hate the fact that they opted to put farts and dancing in the game as opposed to any sort of dialogue system. Yeah, I really hope Fable 3 is a good game, I'll almost certainly buy it and play through it, more out of curiousity than real interest or excitement, but from what I've seen and heard of it so far I think it has potential, but I'm not going to be holding out too much hope.
#6 Posted by Texas (10 posts) -

One of my friends also likes Fable 2 better then the first. I think that it has to do with which game you played first. I liked the story because you are a kid slowly becoming the hero of the land. At first everyone has no idea who you are and everyone calls you a "Chicken Chaser" because they think that you are a joke. But you kill the bandit leader and you fight in the arena, and finally take out the boss and become the best hero of them all. Idk when I played it I just had a lot of fun.
#7 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

Fable is your favorite game?

It's ok, but it's nothing extraordinary. 

Although I'm curious to see how Fable 3 will turn out.

#8 Posted by RaceKickfist (217 posts) -

I enjoyed both games. And i really appreciate how they are similar in style, yet fairly different in mechanics. I thought changing it up kept it fresh. I miss the combat multipliers, but i welcomed the social aspect of the economy, and making money by normal-people means (even if the execution was boring and repetitive. i just liked that it was there.) I enjoyed the first games story much more than the second, but i felt pegged-in to areas, and corralled in the world outside. I guess the point i'm getting at is that the first game was by no means flawless, and neither was the second game. But the way both games were designed show that, love him or hate him, peter molyneux really is thinking ahead and trying new things. whether they work out or not. In a market saturated with swords and magic and decision-making action rpg's, i'm glad theres at least ONE franchise out there thats bold enough to take steps in new directions. also, puppies.

#9 Posted by SquirrelGOD (475 posts) -

I just don't understand how someone can say that the first Fable was great, much less their favorite game.  I mean, maybe if you knew nothing of the game when you were going into it, but many people like myself were fed pure bullshit about that game for years after it was announced.  All the crazy promises that weren't kept made that game just a huge damn letdown for me.  It was the only game that I ever traded in to Gamestop.

Now, Fable II is where they learned their lesson.  They didn't make any giant promises that there was no way that they could keep.  They also just tightened everything up and made a lot of necessary changes.  If Fable III can make the improvements on Fable II that Fable II made on Fable, it's going to be a damn fine game.

#10 Edited by wickedsc3 (1046 posts) -

Fable 1 was so much better than fable 2.  I just couldnt get past not having armor in fable 2.  In the first one it was like you could be this bad ass dude with big armor and then in 2 its like heres a nice vest and a gun that looks like a bugle lol.  I liked both and bought both and will definatly buy 3.  Over all it has been a good series and i have enjoyed playing them alot.

#11 Edited by RaceKickfist (217 posts) -

edit: this must be super old. but this morning i saw it for the first time and it made me larf.
#12 Edited by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
#13 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

I personally loved fable 2...up till the point I met reaver and he sent me on useless quests, was all around a worthless character and just pissed me off as a character I wanted to kill him and I never got to fullfill that such a useless human being and he was allowed to get away.  I all so hated the end sequences I mean you get through this game get to the end...

then you get to watch as they are sent on their marry way and you get a choice. 

So yeah fuck fable 2 in short...and I won't be getting fable 3 If I learn such matters aren't addressed in fable 3 since its 50 years later and is considered a direct sequel.
#14 Edited by Texas (10 posts) -
@SquirrelGOD said:

I mean, maybe if you knew nothing of the game when you were going into it, but many people like myself were fed pure bullshit about that game for years after it was announced.  All the crazy promises that weren't kept made that game just a huge damn letdown for me.   

The first time I played Fable was when I rented it from Blockbuster. I saw it on the shelf and thought it looked cool so I picked it up. So no I had no idea of all the promises they made. Probably why I liked it so much more then most.

#15 Posted by Lachouinard (1 posts) -

Like the op I loved the first Fable game, one of if not my favorite game. I Also loved Fable II so I'm eagerly awaiting Fable III. I can understand that the series isn't everyone's cup of tea. To each their own.

#16 Posted by iamLEG10N (69 posts) -

Fable is not necessarily my all time favorite game series, but it definitely is one of em. I never really heard much about fable before it came out, so it was all new to me. I thought it was a great game. Fable 2 i liked even better. I'll admit, the story wasn't as good and the endings sucked ass, but it played funner. (I know funner is not really a word. Sue me.) I was also disappointed with the lack of armor (unless you bought knothole island). But I am most definitely looking forward to playing fable 3. And for that matter any other fable game they ever make... 

#17 Posted by xyzygy (9624 posts) -

To me, Fable 2 was everything I wanted Fable 1 to be. I remember being disappointed by Fable, but I still enjoyed it. It's strange to describe. I guess Molyneux hyped it up too much and had me thinking it was a lot more dynamic and large, but at the same time, for what the game was it was awesome. And then Fable 2 really impressed me because I guess I was in the same mindset from the first game. 

Hopefully Fable 3 will impress me the same way Fable 2 did, and so far it's got me really excited for it :D

#18 Edited by bartok (2371 posts) -

Little to no hype from Molyneaux or his testicles leads me to believe this  will be the best game in the series.

#19 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -
@Raymayne said:
" @Texas said:
 The First Fable game is by far my favorite video game of all time. 
 I nearly stopped there.
I did stop there.
#20 Posted by ReyGitano (2465 posts) -

I just realized... Fable III is coming out soon, and I know hardly anything about it. Strange. I feel like I should be up to my head in information about this game by now. Makes me worry a bit.

#21 Posted by Redbullet685 (5980 posts) -

I hated Fable 1 and never played the 2nd.

#22 Posted by yevinorion (687 posts) -
@bartok said:
" Little to no hype from Molyneaux or his testicles leads me to believe this  will be the best game in the series. "
Precisely. I really enjoyed Fable I and II. Neither is a perfect game, but they had enough charm and wit to win me over. I felt II was much closer to what I wanted from a Fable game and it's looking like III might get that even closer.
#23 Edited by YoThatLimp (1820 posts) -

Yes, the only think fable was miss was more lame ass haircuts and tattoes.  

FFS, I know I am going to buy it, play it and be disappointed, but this is not what I want.  

@yevinorion said: 

@bartok said: 

" Little to no hype from Molyneaux or his testicles leads me to believe this  will be the best game in the series. "
Precisely. I really enjoyed Fable I and II. Neither is a perfect game, but they had enough charm and wit to win me over. I felt II was much closer to what I wanted from a Fable game and it's looking like III might get that even closer. "
Fable had wit?  If by wit you mean farting animations then hell yeah!    
#24 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -

The thing that bums me out about Fable, is that it's supposed to be all about making your own choices and doing whatever you want. So why can't you kill or have sex with the kids in the game? And speaking about killing kids, you should be able to sacrifice them to make yourself younger. That would be so bad ass, to look like you do in the beginning of the game, but with a giant sword on your back, and enough magic skills to fry somebody with one hit.

#25 Posted by Synthballs (2193 posts) -

I loved the first immensely and I couldn't believe it but I enjoyed the second one even more. I didn't even think that would be possible. I'm psyched for Fable III and have the Collectors Edition on Pre-Order. I can't wait.

#26 Posted by Briggs713 (201 posts) -

I wouldn't say I didn't enjoy Fable 2, but I didn't get the same feeling of excitement as I did with the 1st one.  I pre-ordered Fable 2,but after my experience with 2, I think I will wait and see about 3.  I'm really hoping its a great RPG.

#27 Posted by Angre_Leperkan439 (333 posts) -
@Alex_Murphy said:
" So why can't you kill or have sex with the kids in the game?"
Wait. Wtf?
#28 Edited by Vonocourt (2107 posts) -
@Alex_Murphy said:

"So why can't you kill or have sex with the kids in the game? "

If you're not just joking, you're a sick fuck.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.