Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Fable III

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

The third game in the Fable series sets you with the task of overthrowing your own brother, the tyrant ruler of Albion, as the kingdom enters the industrial era.

Was Fable 3 "Simplified" to make it Kinect compatible ?

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By CharleyTony

After reading a lot of reviews and playing the game to completion, the 2 thing that came to mind is that .. 

-Lionhead hard limited time to work on the game (abrupt ending, Fable 2 bugs still present, etc.) 
    -Fable 3 was supposed to be KINECT compatible (either at launch or eventually).  

From what i read in news and interviews, it seems that the Kinect features were dropped... 
    Could the idea of making Fable 3 "Kinect friendly" have had a lot of influences in the games design ? 
    What makes it almost obvious to me is  
    --the (one on one) NPC interactions,  
    --other moments where you have to hold a button for a couple of seconds to activate something, 
    --everything is (over) simplified, no menus, no HUD, 

What do you guys think about this ? 

( I liked the game, but unlike Fable 2, I don't think I will be playing it a second time...)

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ShadowofIntent

I believe when the kinect was first revealed Molyneux knew the question was coming and said they had no plans to integrate it with fable 3.  However, if I'm wrong my hate for the kinect will grow even more.  First they dumb down a perfectly fine xbox dashboard for it, now this. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

Well the button holding stuff was there in fable 2 as well.  

Honestly I think the game is the way it is because of Fable 2. It's so damn similar in every way, just less menus. The combat's the same, the simplified clothing system (as in armor defends the same as pyjamas) is still there, etc.  

I mean, it could be fun to play on kinect, but unfortunately I rapidly beat fable 3 to clear up time for kinect. I'm totally done with that right now.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By grilledcheez

Fable 2 was simple too, I also remember holding buttons to open things

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FritzDude

It's simplified because of Fable 2. Tidious interface and a broken map system, all addressed in Fable 3. However, i think some of this could be because of the Kinect, like the interaction with NPC's. They basically removed the wheel from the other Fable games and replaced it with a "touch" based system. Which i dont like because i dont have any control over it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Brendan

From everything I've seen it just seems like more Fable 2 really.  

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CharleyTony

Yeah the button holding was there in Fable 2, I know, its just something I was thinking about while whatching the Kinect launch special on Giant Bomb. 

And you the heck complained about Fable 2 having too much menus ? LOL !
    To focus on that and not fix real bugs is pretty crazy if you ask me !

KingPossum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KingPossum

I still think a good chunk of dev time was spent trying to make this game Kinect compatible before they dropped the whole thing and just tried to get it out for the 2010 holidays.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @XII_Sniper
    Sorry but Fable's Clothing system is bar-none perfect. This is not an MMO, I don't want to be forced to wear weird combos of things for stats. Fable has always been about making the Hero yours...and the clothing system works to do just that, at most they only effect how people perceive you.  

@CharleyTony

There were some Kinect mini games planned but were scrapped because Lionhead said they weren't much fun.  
    I think the One on One NPC interaction has more to do with how you gain Guild Seals - if it were identical to Fable 2 you could march into down, bust out the Lute or Hero Pose and collect seals from 10-20 people at a time, in short you'd have more seals than you could reasonably spend very very early.

This is the kind of thing Molyneaux is going for - he wants to remove the barriers for 'non-gamers' - although how successful he's been is debatable sometimes the sanctuary is wonderful, other times I find it overly complex for my needs. How about a main menu option for Multiplayer so I don't have to load up the game, go to the Sanctuary, go to the Live Room, hit quick game, save, go to main menu, get message co-op game is full - repeat all steps ad nauseam.

My only major complaint is the lack of control when interacting with NPCs - it's silly that I have to Dance, Tickle, Chat, Hug in that order EVERY time with EVERY NPC. The lack of a 'Repair All' or 'Repair City' options for Real Estate is a slap in the face, but the map system beats the hell out of walking up to every house you own (although, at least in my game there are about 3 house I can't repair from the map - no idea why they're different).
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ
    @SteamPunkJin: Hey man, I never criticized it, I just said it was there since Fable 2. I don't like the idea of using mismatching combos either, but it would be better if wearing my masquerade suit would impart some kind of bonus, or wearing armor will give another, etc. Not necessarily a defence bonus, but I liked the weird weapon experience-acheivements-bonus thing they did in Fable 3, and would have been cool to see that integrated with the clothing. 
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By mazik765
    @ShadowofIntent said:
    " I believe when the kinect was first revealed Molyneux knew the question was coming and said they had no plans to integrate it with fable 3.  However, if I'm wrong my hate for the kinect will grow even more.  First they dumb down a perfectly fine xbox dashboard for it, now this.  "
    What's wrong with the new dashboard? I think it looks way cleaner.
    CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CharleyTony

things I forgot to mention:\ 
    -no health meter  
    -absurd amount of courier and fetch quests (are they randomly generated?)
    -no defense stats (although I don't remember how Fable 2 handled that) 
    -Road to Rule is actually MORE complex than using a menu with upgrades and how much Guild Seals they cost 
    -nothing happens to the dog (you have it at the beginning, you still have him at the end)  (I had no feelings for that dog, quite the contrary to the one in Fable 2) here, in Fable 3 he is almost only regarded as a tool.

the clothing is okay, when you want to change your look, those dummies can be pretty handy... 

But the game could have used some kind of defensive power up in the "Road to Rule" 

And then why have so many different weapons in each types ? I would have liked to have 1 hammer, 1 sword and then maybe 2 or 3 DIFFERENT types of weapons. Keeping only one weapon of each type and make its power go up as you level up your melee attack skill

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By valrog

I can't tell, it's kind of a tradition for each new Fable being worse than the previous one.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jimbo

I don't think that's why it was simplified.  Fable started simple and has been getting simpler with each iteration.  The franchise was always intended as a mass-appeal RPG, and to be approachable for people that don't typically play RPGs (or even know what RPG means).

I wouldn't be surprised if they were intending for the gestures to be Kinect activated (optional) at some point, but maybe they decided the potential confusion ("So do I need Kinect or not?")  was more hassle than the feature was worth.  If so, I think they were right.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

If Fable 3 Kinect support allows me to say "Xbox: Map" then I will go buy a Kinect right away.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho

The series has never been complicated to begin with.

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By EnchantedEcho

Yeah the hold down  'A' or 'X' parts,  are pretty clear indicators that it was.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KaosAngel

Xbox, gay marry in Fable III. 

Xbox, kill husband. 

Xbox, pay good Church. 

Xbox, make Fable III good. 

...nope, don't see any Kinect support.  Add another for Tin-Foil Hat topics.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Afroman269

They tried to simplify the game to attract a wider audience, which is weird because the past games were not all that complicated. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Afroman269 said:
    " They tried to simplify the game to attract a wider audience, which is weird because the past games were not all that complicated.  "
    It's like dumbing down Sesame Street in the most basic of statements.  :|
    Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Worm

Was ME2 simplified for the same reason?

There are hidden motives for each company when releasing a game, I guess they thought from previous games that if they will simplify it than the series will be back on the 9+ ratings.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By finstern

the holding down of the buttons and animations all seem very kinect-y like maybe they were going to have all villager interactions be kinect based gesture things

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Worm: ME2 was not simplified, at least it wasn't on PC.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I really don't think so. With all of the Kinect launch titles Microsoft have laid down a clear line between Kinect games and games they're aiming at a traditional market. They know traditional games are too complex for casual gamers and traditional gamers are bored by the simplicity of casual games. Sure, Fable III is accessible as an RPG and has some interface issues but those are both traits that Fable II held, and even Fable was still a very accessible experience. There's really no actual proof this game was dumbed down with the intention of adapting it to the Kinect.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FritzDude
    @KaosAngel said:
    "@Worm: ME2 was not simplified, at least it wasn't on PC.

"

Then you haven't played ME1. Everything with ME2 is stripped down compared to ME1. And the reason for that is to target more people with their game, and that's probably a reason for Fable 3's simplification too.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I don't see how you'd be able to make an RPG into a connect game. Honestly, Kinect games should only be for simple games, and by that I mean dancing and racing and such. Considering how long it can take you to finish a Fable game as well, having Kinect support seems stupid. But I do like Vinny's idea of yelling "GIVE ME THE FUCKING MAP"

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zombie2011

I don't think they did, Fable has always been a simple game. It's what makes it appealing.

drok17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By drok17

When "Natal" was first revealed Peter Molyenaux was all for the idea and pretty much promised that there would be some way it would be intergrated into Fable 3. When "Natal" was finally given an official name a few months later he backed out, which is not really surprising since most of what he says is complete bullshit.

They should have kept Fable 3 the same as Fable 2 and just focused on the gameplay. They spent so much time with redesigning the menus, the maps, and how you improve your skills that they forgot about everything else. I find it to be a poor verison of Fable. Fable 2 had me hooked, even though the ending pissed me off I still wanted to play more at the end. Fable 3 is doing the opposite for me

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KaosAngel
    @drok17 said:
    "... which is not really surprising since most of what he says is complete bullshit. "
    Man, I'm tired of all this hate on the guy.  He really means what he says but the technology isn't there yet.  Are you making games?  Are you paid the same million dollar salary he is?   

The quick answer is, no.  So I trust him, and I'll believe it when he says he could do it if the technology was able to keep up with his limitless talent.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CL60
    @Finstern said:
    " the holding down of the buttons and animations all seem very kinect-y like maybe they were going to have all villager interactions be kinect based gesture things "
    The holding down buttons thing was in Fable 2 also.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Most of the stuff mentioned in the initial post was in Fable II as well. No, Fable III was simplified (yet again), because in Peter Moleyneux's head "fixing the interface" is secret code for: "Adding a meaningless hub that really, isn't much more convenient than Fable II's totally retarded menus and not having a HUD of any kind". I love listening to the man weave his own personal tapestry of nonsense, but as a game designer some of the things he does are... questionable at best.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By finstern
    @CL60: Really? hmm been a long time lol my bad. Just after seeing the kinect stuff with the circles filling up I was like "Oooooh" and that seemed to me at least to look just like it in fable.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By ColinWright
    @ShadowofIntent said:
    " I believe when the kinect was first revealed Molyneux knew the question was coming and said they had no plans to integrate it with fable 3.  However, if I'm wrong my hate for the kinect will grow even more.  First they dumb down a perfectly fine xbox dashboard for it, now this.  "
    The Kinect isn't even able to be used on the dashboard. So you're argument against it is invalid.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#34  Edited By Hailinel
    @wh4tshisface said:
    " @ShadowofIntent said:
    The Kinect isn't even able to be used on the dashboard. So you're argument against it is invalid. "
    lolwat
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60
    @wh4tshisface said:
    " @ShadowofIntent said:
    The Kinect isn't even able to be used on the dashboard. So you're argument against it is invalid. "
    What? And also to the other guy. How is the dashboard dumbed down? It looks basically the same, but much cleaner and it's faster.
    ColinWright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By ColinWright
    @Hailinel: @CL60:  Kinect is only able to be used on a special dashboard called the "Kinect Hub". You can't use it on the regular dashboard. You wave at it and it brings you to the Kinect Hub.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

eh if it had then Id never have bought it...as it is I wish I had never purchased it.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KaosAngel

....so when this comes out for PC in the coming weeks...what should I expect? 

drok17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By drok17
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @drok17 said:
    "... which is not really surprising since most of what he says is complete bullshit. "
    Man, I'm tired of all this hate on the guy.  He really means what he says but the technology isn't there yet.  Are you making games?  Are you paid the same million dollar salary he is?    The quick answer is, no.  So I trust him, and I'll believe it when he says he could do it if the technology was able to keep up with his limitless talent. "

He has a limitless talent for exaggerating everything about the games he has a part in.
    WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @drok17 said:

" @KaosAngel said:

" @drok17 said:
    Man, I'm tired of all this hate on the guy.  He really means what he says but the technology isn't there yet.  Are you making games?  Are you paid the same million dollar salary he is?    The quick answer is, no.  So I trust him, and I'll believe it when he says he could do it if the technology was able to keep up with his limitless talent. "
     He has a limitless talent for exaggerating everything about the games he has a part in. "
    pretty much.
    first it was oh trees will grow with you, Oh you'll have this awesome dog that is so smart. And now oh your weapons will morph with you no one will have the same weapon every one will have a unique one...every single last thing lies.
    then there is the fact that these games are described as giving you the choice they don't you have no real choice. evil? good? they are all the same in these games.

Peter Molyneux is a hack I can't understand how he has a job...but I think its cause he can pitch games good enough that people will buy his crap...well with the shit that fable 3 is and the shit that fable 2 was I won't be buying another lionhead game ever again.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41  Edited By Yanngc33

The way you have to hold down A to select or do something kind of reminded me of the kinect interface

InKtOiD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By InKtOiD

As far as i know it, they are still considering a future Kinect patch that will allow some Kinect features and apparently facial mapping is going to become a big thing that Kinect has going for it. 

So you can play Fable 3 and it'll be your face saving the Kingdom...if you're into that sort ego boosting stupidity.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By matt_f606

I've only played 3-4 hours but it does feel like they had gestures in mind. I think the way that the jobs are played really show that, they have such a basic interface! 

I am really liking the game though, the writing is amazing.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.